Status: New, comment and subscribe if you like! The character page will be LONG.

Where'd Ya Go?

Grocery Shopping

That night Hayden lay awake in bed, thinking about who may ask her on a date. She had been told before that she was oblivious, and she wholeheartedly agreed. So, she began to list off her unmated dom friends, quietly allowed. She could hear Allen and Serena in his room listening to Simple Plan.
“...Pete, Ray, Josh, Max...Andy? No, he likes Avril.”

“But who do I like?” She asked herself.

Pete is a total sweet heart, and makes me smile. Ray is dependable, and makes me feel like I can say whatever and he'll listen. Josh is a goof, and makes me laugh. Max...is...Max...I guess. I don't really know him, so I can't really make a good judgment. She thought.

“We'll see how this plays out.” she yawned, rolling over and falling asleep.

The next morning she found herself picking out her outfit more carefully. She wore a tight jacket to show off her figure, and her favorite tee shirt. She knew she was trying to impress the doms, and wanted to make sure it was the right kind of attention. Not the 'hey come fuck me' but they 'hey I'm easy to talk to and fun to hang out with, ask me out? Maybe?'

It felt odd dressing to impress anyone but herself, but Hayden was set on finding her mate. She took extra care with her make up and left her hair to wave naturally as she knew it would.

When she finished, she headed to the kitchen. Today was Saturday so she didn't have to worry about getting the kids ready for school. Allen and Serena were in his room having dom talk, Anna was still in bed asleep, David was watching cartoons.

Hayden thought of ways to see the guys. Other than school, she was out of ideas.

She felt the urge to go grocery shopping. So, she checked the fridge, and sure enough they needed a lot. She went to her moms room to see her picking out her clothes for the day. “Mom can I go grocery shopping?”

“Sure, take a dom with you.”

That's just what Hayden wanted to hear. Her mom was well aware fertiles were beat up, and mugged by humans.

Not Pete because she'd see him when he brought Hillary back, not Josh because she'd see him when he came to get Serena. Not Max because she never really spoke to him much, and she was worried she'd feel awkward. That left Ray.

She pulled out her cell phone and considered texting him, but decided to see if she felt anything when he spoke to her when she couldn't see him. She pressed call.

“Hello?” He picked up halfway through the first ring.

“Hey Ray.” She smiled.

“What's up?” he asked, sounding a bit shocked but happy.

“I need to go grocery shopping and...well I don't want to go alo-”

“I'll go with you.” he interrupted.

Hayden blushed, relieved he was so eager to see her.

“Okay, great.”

“I'll be over soon.” Her throat tightened up like a choked up school girl.

“Goodbye.”

“Bye.”

They hung up.

Hayden found herself pacing as she waited for him to arrive. She remembered to grab her purse with her wallet in it. Every store had a fertile discount, which was up to 60% off.

A knock on the door made her run over to it and open it calmly. Ray stood in front of her, his eyes flashed across her outfit for a moment before he smiled.

“Shall we go?” he offered his arm.

“Indeed.” she took his arm and he walked her to the car. They got in his car and he pulled out of the drive way. “Where to?” he asked.

“Wegmans.” She said, naming the grocery store.

“Okay.”

They rocked out to Slayer on their way to the store, both at ease. When they arrived, Ray used his dom speed to open the door for Hayden, she got out and smiled at him. She shouldered her bag and shut the door, they headed into the store side by side. They were greeted by glistening tile floors.

A few people turned to watch as the vampires strode into the store, a couple humans began to eye fuck Hayden who dropped her eyes in shame. Ray put a possessive arm around her waist, and gave a warning growl. The eye fuckers looked away at once. Hayden gave a thankful look to Ray who nodded, not removing his arm from her person.

Hayden didn't complain, she got a cart and wheeled it down the cereal aisle. Ray let go of her when she reached for a box of Capn' Crunch.

Ten minuets later, they were in the freezer isle. Hayden was trying to choose which pizza to get. Allen would devour anything, David liked sausage, Macy liked plain cheese, Anna would eat anything without peppers...

“Oh, Ray can you get maple sausage links? They're always gone by the time I get there.”

“I shouldn't leave you alone here.”

“Please?” She gave him a puppy dog face.
“Fine, but don't go anywhere.”

“Okay.” He walked off down the isle. Hayden turned back to the pizza's deciding to get something for everyone.

She set opened the freezer then was knocked on her butt from the side. Footsteps took off down the aisle. Then she realized, her purse was gone! Her heart leapt into her throat, all her money, her ID, her house key it was all in that purse.

“Ray!”

Faster than lightning, he was there. He pulled her to her feet. “He took my purse!”

Ray's eyes glowed blood red as he took of, a blur for a moment that was quickly gone. Hayden wiped the dirt off her butt and trusted Ray to take care of it. She turned back to the freezer and got out the pizzas, putting them in the cart.

Someone tugged at her pant leg. She looked down to see a human toddler perhaps 3 years old.

“'Scuse me, I can't find my mommy. My fwiends at daycare say fertiles are nice. Are you a fertile?”

Hayden knelt to me level with the girl. “Yes.” She could now see the girl had various bruises, not simply from falling. She could make out clear hand prints.

“What happened to you?” she asked, touching the girls shoulder gently.

“M-mommy got mad.” She looked down.

“What about your daddy?”

“No have one.”

“Oh, do you want me to help you look for your mommy?”

“Mommy leaves me at stores a lot. She no come back 'till store gets dark.”

Hayden was pissed, no child deserves to be treated that way. Not only is this girl clearly abused, she is neglected.

“Do you know a phone number?”

She shook her head.

“What's your mommy's name?”

“Laura.”

“Do you know her last name?”

“No.”

“What's your name?” Hayden asked.

“Sarah Mott.”

It was then Ray strode over with her purse, with blood all over his hands, shirt and face. Sarah cowered behind the cart as he approached. He eyed her questioningly but handed Hayden her purse.

“Ray!” she slapped his chest.

“What?”

“Your covered in blood! You scared her.” Hayden scolded.

“The human? Why does it matter?”

Hayden sighed and whispered what Sarah told her in his ear.

“Oh.” he zipped his jacket, hiding the bloody shirt from view. Hayden reached in the bag and pulled out wipes, she held out her hand for Ray's. He put his large hand in hers and she wiped it down, then the other one. She tossed the blood covered wipes in a garbage hand, then knelt by Sarah again.

“It's okay, Ray's a big softie around me. He won't hurt you, I promise.”

“O-okay.” Sarah took her outstretched hand and walked over to Ray with her. Ray eyed the human skeptical of the tale she told Hayden, but quickly saw that it was the truth. Hand prints and bruises littered the girl here and there.

“Sarah why don't you go pick out some candy?” Hayden asked.

“You won't leave?”

“Nope, we'll be right here.”

“Pinky promise?”

Hayden smiled, and pinky swore with the little girl Sarah ran off to the candy aisle, grinning.

“What are we going to do with her?” Ray asked.

“We are going to be the parental figures she deserves...until the store closes. We can take her to the fair or something, then bring her back here. I have a few words for this mother of hers.” Ray knew she was serous, Hayden was fiercely protective of children. He liked that about her. His stomach tightened at how she said 'we' and then 'parental figures' Yeah, Ray can admit it; he has a crush on Hayden.

But who in the right mind wouldn't? She was hardworking, caring, strong, sarcastic, smart, truthful and beautiful. (A/N thats some of Ray's opinion)

“Okay, when does the store close?” He asked, watching the human try to pick between Twizlers and gummy worms.

“Eight I think.”

Ray looked at his watch “It's noon.”

“Then we take her to lunch.”

Sarah ran over and smiled. “You stayed.”

“I pinky promised didn't I?” Hayden raised an eye brow. The little girl nodded.

“Ray and I are gonna take you to the fair, does that sound like fun?”

“Yeah! I've never been to a fair.”

Hayden liked how trusting Sarah was, it could get her into trouble someday though. After they purchased the groceries, Ray and Hayden loaded the car. “I need a booster seat.” Hayden and Ray looked at each other; they hadn't thought of that.

Hayden had an idea, but she knew Ray would have to do it because she wasn't strong enough. “Ray, could you hold her on your lap? I'll drive.”

Ray shrugged and looked down at Sarah.

“I-I guess.” She kicked up some dirt.

Ray frowned, reached in a bag and pulled out a box of M&M's. “Here, you can eat these.”

Sarah smiled and took them from him. “Thanks.” Ray gave Hayden the keys, they all got in. Sarah sat in Ray's lap and he locked his arms around her securely. Soon they were headed back to Hayden's house to take care of the before taking Sarah to the fair.

“We are stopping at my house to drop the food off.” Hayden told her.

“Uh...are there more...dom's there?” Sarah asked uncomfortably.

Ray grinned a bit, understanding her fear.

“No.” Hayden's voice was a bit cold, Sarah flinched a little but resumed eating her candy.
♠ ♠ ♠
Why do you think Hayden's voice got cold when Sarah asked that question? Thoughts on Hayden + Ray so far? Rayden by the way.