Status: Active. Read and enjoy.

Children of a Lesser God

Potential Lead

“Director.”
After several long seconds of silence, SHIELD director Nick Fury turned his attention from the files he was reading to focus his one good eye on Agent Phil Coulson. The younger man was watching him, holding a thick manila folder so tightly that his knuckles were literally white. Fury closed the file he was looking at before nodding his head in acknowledgement of his agent.

“This better be good, Agent Coulson,” he commented gruffly, causing Coulson to toss the folder on his desk.
“I’m sure you’ll find it to be worth your time.”
Fury could hear the venom dripping from Coulson’s voice but chose not to comment on it. Instead, he flipped open the folder that Coulson had brought to him; he gazed over a pseudo-birth certificate from a genetic research lab, the results of numerous lab experiments, and police records from the city of Los Angeles before turning his attention back to Coulson.

“So, this is her?”
“Yes, Director. One of our sources in South Africa has told me she’s currently located in a genetic research lab near the city of Johannesburg.”
“Johannesburg?” Fury asked incredulously. “Now, how in the hell did she wind up in a situation like that…?”
“In all respect, Director. She’s a wonder of modern science; scientists have probably been on her tail since she escaped from that facility,” Coulson replied dryly.

Fury took a second to massage his temples before putting the papers back in order and closing the file.
“The sooner we can get some people over there to get her, the better,” he commented quietly.
“Director, I don’t think that’s a good idea.”
“And, why exactly is that, Coulson?” Fury was starting to become irritated and he glared at Coulson; the agent’s face paled under the director’s glare, but he said nothing. After a few tense seconds, Fury continued.

“She deserves better then to be locked up in a lab for the rest of her life, undergoing experiments. Besides, she is an extremely gifted individual and would make a great asset to the Avengers team, along with SHIELD as a whole.”
“But, Director-“
“But, what? If it were Rogers locked in a genetic research lab, you’d be the one leading in the team to rescue him. You may not think so, but she deserves the same rights as the Captain. She deserves a chance.”

After several more seconds of silence, Coulson let loose a sigh of defeat before addressing the Director.
“Speaking of Captain Rogers, what exactly do we tell him? I mean, she-“
“We tell them nothing, Coulson,” Fury interrupted sternly.
“We’re not going to tell them? Don’t you think they deserve to know?”
“They absolutely deserve to know, and they will be told. But, not until they’re both ready.”

Coulson’s expression showed that he was surprised, but he nonetheless dropped the subject.
“Is there anything else you need, Director?”
“Tell Romanoff and Barton to report to me as soon as they have prepared themselves for a mission.”
“I will, Director,” Coulson replied curtly, causing Fury to gaze at him sternly.
“I’m trying to create a team, Coulson. With that being said, I’d like it if you didn’t tell Romanoff and Barton, either.”
Coulson scowled slightly, but he nodded his head. “Alright, sir.”
Fury nodded his head in return. “Thank you, Coulson. I know you aren’t thrilled about this, but I happen to think that she and Rogers would make a very good team.”

Coulson looked like he was about to argue over the idea of Rogers working with the woman, but he decided against it and turned to leave the room. He had set one foot into the hallway when Fury suddenly called him again.

“Coulson!”
Coulson immediately stopped and gazed over his shoulder at Fury. “Yes, Director?”
Fury pushed his chair back and stood up, grabbing the file he was reading before the other male interrupted him.
“I think you should take a look at this file. Maybe then you’ll realize that we need to find her before they do; the situation is getting worse.” He handed the file to Coulson before turning to his desk; Coulson gazed over the file quietly, his eyes pausing on the name “Chernobyl”. Fury’s voice suddenly pulled Coulson from his thoughts, causing the male to turn his attention back to the Director.

“Now if you’ll excuse me, I need to haggle with some pompous idiots to get permission to reinstate the Avengers Initiative.”
“Wait, Director. Are you saying that…? Right now?”
“I am indeed, Coulson. It’s time to start gathering up the Avengers.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey, guys. It's been forever since I've written on here, but I am back with a whole new story! This is my first Avengers story, my first full length third-person fanfiction, along with my first fanfic in about six months; with that being said, it feels good to start writing again. This chapter is more of a prologue then anything; Natasha and Clint will be in the next chapter. That is all for right now, so leave me some love. The next chapter should be up in a few days. Enjoy the ride, everyone. xo