Status: Newly Active, Check it out!

I'm Losing All My Sanity

You Spent Your Whole Life Taking the Best of Me

Chapter 1


Lounging on the rooftop of my Los Angeles bungalow, I flip the page of the book I was currently immersed in. It was late March, but there was no comparison to the Las Vegas heat I was used to. Early mornings like this are the coolest time of the day before the heat flares. The snap of a branch brings my attention to my right, where I see my brother Marc climbing his way up a tree next to the house.

"You need some help, bud?" I call in a baby voice, only getting his middle finger as a reply. I shake my head and laugh as he makes his way off the tree and next to me.

"Isn't it a bit early for you to be up here?" He asks me and I check my watch in turn.

"It's not even 6, why are you up here?" I close my book and stand up, walking to my left where a tangle of vines hugging the wall lay. I wrap my hands around the top of the bunch and slowly descend into the yard, hopping onto the deck and through the sliding door into the kitchen. I make a quick cup of coffee before lazily walking to the other side of the house where the bedrooms are, thankful for sharing a one-story house. Coming to a stop in front of the white-wood door, I set my coffee on the hall table and take a deep breath, bursting through the door and bounding onto the bed in front of me, earning a loud "OOMPH" from my best friend. Molly forces her arms out from under the covers, searching for my head and starts to yank on my deep red locks. In return I give her a wet-willy and proceed out of her room to mine, where I hear her usual, "Bitch!" I laugh as I start my shower water.


____________________


"Joey! I need your help!" I hear Molly call from the front of the store. I stand up from my laptop in the back office, and make my way up to the front to see Molly on the phone and stirring a bowl of cupcake batter simultaneously. Her head flies my way and she viciously jerks her arm in the direction of the batter, indicating she needs me to take over for her. I grab the wooden spoon from her and she meanders over to the other end of the store, sitting down at one of the tables and scribbling the order down on her notepad. I pull out the cupcake pan and add the liners before I start to pour the batter as Molly comes up beside me to slap my hands away.

"Sorry about that, this band manager wanted a shitload order of cupcakes and cookies for tomorrow and I didn't have any hands to take it down. That guy wanted like five different flavors!" She rolls her eyes and finishes with the batter, throwing them into the oven. I laugh and snatch up the sticky note she took the order on.

"Jesus." I sigh as I read.

"I know! Great week for Ashlyn to have her baby, huh?" she exclaims, snorting as she starts to gather ingredients. Our heads turn towards the front of the store as a young couple push through the door. Molly elbows me and darts her eyes towards them as she heads to the supply closet. I roll my eyes and snatch up an apron.

"Hi guys! What can I get for you?" I put on my best smile and wait as they scan the rows of cake samples, cupcakes, cookies and other sweets behind the glass. They order and pay, making their way out onto the empty street. It was well past 8 o'clock, so I go around the store, closing all of the wooden shutters and locking the front door, flipping the OPEN sign to CLOSED.

"Alright Mol, let's get these cupcakes started so we're not here all night." I walk to the back to find her arms full of flour, spices and cans of fruit. I snatch up the pile from her hands and take them to the front, blowing my hair out of my face.


____________________


"I need a drink." I say, kicking off my shoes and smacking Molly's ass as we walk from the foyer into our kitchen, pulling out a bottle of Captain Morgan.

"Pour me one too!" She calls from the living room. I grab two glasses from the cabinet and set them on the counter just as I hear my phone ping from my purse. I sigh and backtrack into the hallway, rummaging through my purse for my Blackberry.

'Sean: HOW R U?' I snort as I read the message, shoving it in my back pocket without replying. I pour our drinks and pad into the living room, plopping down on our leather couch next to Molly as I hand over her drink. She clinks it to mine and downs half of it in one gulp. I laugh and do the same, giving my attention to the TV, but my mind wanders back to Sean. We'd met in college, him being pre-med, me in business. We were together for over 2 years, but I dropped him as soon as I found out he'd been cheating on my for 6 months with our mutual friend, Hannah. She used to be my business partner, we had our own little boutique downtown. After what happened, Molly invited me to manage her bakery. We already lived together, so it was an easy transition. That was 2 months ago, but it still felt like yesterday.

"Are you coming to bed or are you going to stay out here?" Molly's voice snaps me back to the couch and I look up to see her standing in front of the tv, giving me a weird look. I shook my head and turned the tv off, heading down the hall to my room.
♠ ♠ ♠
Chapter title: Hear Me Now by Hollywood Undead

Well here's the first chapter! I'll have the second chapter written soon, so expect an update in a few days. Comment and let me know what you think, enjoy!