The Battle of Centarium

Encountering the Ak Ragni

"I still don't like this..", Valonir piped out, walking towards a chair.

Theo had just won the semi finals in the tournament. Winning his next fight would give him and Valonir enough coin for at least two months. Valonir, who was against the idea, voiced his concerns of the Ak' Ragni. If they saw the sword, they would know that they man was the one they aimed to kill.

His biggest concern, was to regular showing before the finals. The men would place their swords on a table before the fight, and allow each man and women to see them. It was a tactic to sell the same swords for more money. Why but a second rate sword when you can buy the second rate sword used to win a tournament, for double the price.

"Annoying human sentiments!", he spat while sitting.

Theo rolled his eyes, having heard this a hundred times over the last two days.

"Valonir, please. I'm not putting the sword up for sell, and they know that. Its just customary to show the weapons used in the finals."

Theo sat, unstrapping the leather wristbands he was given before his previous fight. The sword viewing was in an hour, and he was used to standing in the shadows and watching people marvel at his opponents sword. This time, however, he had the most beautiful sword in existence. At least one of them anyway.

Valonir had felt it was crucial that he stay away from crowds as much as possible. A hooded figure drew more attention than they had expected.

So Theo waited, knowing he was going alone. When the time came he grabbed his sword and marched to the showing, watching closely to see if anyone was too interested in the sword. When he realized he was safe, he just sat back at the event and enjoyed the free food.

He ate, laughed, and socialized with people he had never met. When it was all done, he walked to the front of the large room and retrieved his weapon. He looked it over once before sheathing it, and went to leave.

The moment he was outside, he heard a man's voice yelling over the crowd. Theo carried on with his departure, until he heard the voice more clearly. The man was calling for him, panic in his tone of voice.

Theo spun, placing his hand on the pommel of the Dragon Sword. He scanned the faces of everyone looking in his direction, until he recognized Valonir. Theo began to ease, until he realized what was drawing everyone's attention. Valonir's hood was off, flapping behind him as he raced towards his companion.

Theo brainstormed for a few moments, asking himself what could be so important that Valonir would expose his elfish features to the public. The whispers of 'Is that an elf?', were growing louder and louder.

The moment Valonir was close enough, he grasped Theo's sword. Before he could object or question the elf's actions, Valonir had two shining fingers pointed at Theo's face. There was a flash of light, and Theo felt himself hit the ground awkwardly.

There were screams and yells, but Theo couldn't decern them from the ringing in his ears. He looked up and saw Valonir fighting off three men, all wearing blood red cloaks. Who were these men, and where had they come from?

Theo regained his balance, and ran to his friend's aide. Valonir was in the process of blocking one of the men when he noticed Theo's approach. With a loud grunt he flicked his wrist, causing Theo to fly face first into the wall behind him.

Theo hadn't a clue why his friend would be attacking him with magic. The mixture of pain and confusion gave him sharper senses, as if his mind desired answers as well. All of the questions became clear as Valonir blurted out six words.

"The Ak' Ragni have found me!"

Theo blinked, and realized what was occurring. The cloaked men were the Ak' Ragni, and the elf planned to take the fall in Theo's place. Panic over took him, and he sprinted again to his friend's side.

"Don't you dare!", he shouted as Valonir noticed him once again. Theo ran towards the closest cloaked man, and tackled him to the ground. As they fell, he caught a glimpse of the man's face. He seemed to be elderly, bald and frail. This didn't stop Theo, who knew without a doubt that this man was a threat.

His suspicions were confirmed as, when they hit the ground, the man snapped his fingers. Instantly, the ground beneath them rumbled and shook. Two prosthetic arms rose, composed of stone and earth, and continued to rise until they were five times the height of Theo.

Theo jumped away, but couldn't escape the reach of the thirty-foot arms. They ceased him, and threw him to the floor. They continued to slam him into the ground, and in the distance the Ak' Ragni solider moved his arms the same as the stoned hands. He had complete control.

Theo felt the first five slams, and felt helpless for the first time since his father had passed. After the sixth, he began to go numb and dizzy. The last left him on the road, bleeding and broken. He could feel that several ribs were snapped, and his left wrist and arm were crushed.

On the verge of passing out, he watched as Valonir tried with all his might to hold the three off. Flame and water flew through the air, the flashing of swinging swords raged on, and rocks rose from the ground and flew at Valonir's face as if guided by a bow.

The elf fought back with full force, and with a desperate flurry of swipes and stabs he brought one of them down. As if to spit in his face, however, a forth man came around the corner behind him.
This one, who was shorter than the rest, pulled a bow from his back and strung an arrow. Theo tried to warn his friend with a yell or a moan, but all he managed to do was cough up a mouthful of blood. Internal injuries, without medical magic he would be dead very soon.

There was a *thung* sound as the arrow was let loose, and Theo watched in horror as it pierced the elf's back. His eyes opened wide as he fell to his knees, dropping the sword as he did so. The last thing Theo saw before passing out was the terror in Valonir's eyes. The meaning Theo got from this look was simple.. 'Help Me'.
♠ ♠ ♠
The pronunciation of Ak Ragni is 'Auck Rag nye'