The Battle of Centarium

Recuperation

Theo awoke in a dark room. He was dazed for a moment, and felt sharp pains run sporadically through his left arm. Rubbing his shoulder, he looked at the room around him.

It was dark, but he was able to see that the walls were made of stone. The room was nearly empty, and was only occupied by an old stool with a candle placed on it, a run down cot, and Theo himself.

His brow furrowed, and he asked himself where he was. With a rush of memories, he shot out of his bed. It was instantly that the pain in his ribs forced him back down with agonizing force. It felt as if someone was sharpening each rib with the one below.

He gasped and clenched his teath, trying to stay quiet. He assumed the Ak' Ragni had captured him, and they would be guarding the room outside. At the same time, however, he questioned why they wouldn't have killed him already.

After the pain subsided, he rose slowly into a sitting position. Using the candle for light, he examined himself. Bandages wrapped around his entire body. His ribs, chest, and left arm were all wrapped together, and his right knee and thigh was bandaged seperatly.

This roused his curiosity even farther. He was treated too, both magically and medically. He knew it couldn't have been Valonir, since he saw him fall just before he himself did the same. Also, he wasn't chained to his cot, as he was sure the cloaked bastards would have done.

After a quick brainstorm, he decided to assume to worst. Whether the men who healed him were friends or foes, he needed to keep his guard up. He quickly thought up six ways to use the stool as a weapon, and leaned back in waiting.

An hour passed before he heard anyone outside, and he quickly closed his eyes. The door opened, and the footsteps grew near. There was a clank, like the person set something on the ground, and then Theo felt finger touch his bandages.

With a war cry, he tried to twist the man's arm and flip him over the cot. If his ribs hadn't stopped him mid pull, he would have succeeded. He froze in pain, and his visitor took advantage of this.

Mirroring Theo's own actions, he twisted his good arm, and leaned his weight on Theo's chest. He was helpless, unable to kick or even claw. There was a few seconds of struggling before Theo gave in with a gasp for air.

The man leaned on him for a moment more, then leaped away into the nearest corner. There was again silence, as they both awaited another attack. Once Theo realized there was none coming, he coughed and turned toward the man.

"Where am I?" He asked simply, and tried to look into the dark corner where he knew the man stood.

"Somewhere where your idiocy won't doom the Earth," a voice spat back, obviously annoyed by Theo's assault.

Confused, Theo opened his mouth to speak, but was cut off before he could get a single syllable out.

"You are safe and free to go any time you wish. If you want to get your sword back, however, I suggest you stay." the man walked out of the shadows and bent to the ground.

Theo observed the man, who seemed to be in his forties. Short grey hair, a short beard, and a black tunic covering his body. The man, Theo thought, looked familiar. He realized that he was picking a tray of food from the floor, and felt his stomach rumble. He hadn't known how hungry he was until he saw the juicy beef on that platter.

Upon handing him the tray, he turned to leave. At the door, however, he looked over his shoulder and said more politely, "My name is Christian Neobus, and I will help you retrieve what was taken from you."

With that, he slammed the door. Theo thought of Valonir, and also whether or not to trust this Christian character. He saved the thoughts for another time, and began to eat.
♠ ♠ ♠
Quick chapter. Not much was supposed to happen here and I didn't want to throw in fillers.