The Battle of Centarium

Formal Introductions

Mr. Neobus still hadn't spoken a word to him, outside instructions during his swordsmanship training. It had been days since his explosion of emotions, and he seemed to have nothing to say since then.

Aeysu couldn't help but to wonder, had he lost hope? Had the man that single handedly brought him to where he was today slowly loathing the fact that Aeysu was chosen? It clawed at the back of his mind as they ended his training.

Every day he was bringing Theo food, and Aeysu heard them talking ahout how he should be able to move around without pain soon. He still hadn't caught a glimpse of Theo Abbot, but desired it more than anything else at the moment.

It was with this thought that he entered his magical training, and watched his mentor enter the room. The mage had yet to tell Aeysu his true name. Whenever he asked, the mage would simply say, "Call me master or mentor. Thats all you need to know."

The training revolved around his liquid control. He still couldn't make a perfect image, but was close enough that they had moved on to oil. This was on a whole different level than Aeysu had expected. The oil was brown and reflective, making it harder to imagine in his mind's eye. Also, it was heavier, which would have sounded humorous to him months before.

As Aeysu soon found out, his mind worked like a muscle. The more the object he tried to control weighed, the harder it was to make it move. Even knowing this, he hadn't expected oil to be such a burden on his mind.

"Good, now form a branch with it.", the mage instructed. Aeysu had his eyes closed, trying to relax and focus his thoughts on a branch made of floating liquid. He was advancing quickly through his training, at least that's what his mentor had said. Aeysu, however, felt that manipulation of liquid was a weak point, and was eager to move on.

"Okay! Thats it for the day. Christian should have supper ready.", he advised, and Aeysu sat up from his usual spot on the ground. Before leaving, however, his mentor had one more thing to show him.

"This,", he indicated at the oil blob he was controlling, "is what we will work on tomorrow."

With that, he snapped his fingers with the quickness Aeysu had learned he possessed. There was a spark, and the oil burst into a floating flame. His master made it fly through the air with ease, leaving a trail of sparks behind it.

Smiling, Aeysu headed throuh the door and down the hallway. They all sat to eat, and again all was silent. Christian stared down at his food, not looking up to Aeysu or the mage the whole while. Feeling awkward, Aeysu and his mentor did the same. After he was finished, Mr. Neobus sat up and started placing food on the tray he gave to Theo daily.

Aeysu gritted his teeth and grasped the bottom of his chair, trying to refrain himself from asking what he so desperately wished to ask. With a strong sigh, he gave up and sat from his wooden chair.

"Let me take the food to him." he stated simply. No emotion behind the words, just a statement. Both mentors looked to him and raised their eyebrows. He was unable to read their thoughts, and at that moment wished the mage had tought him how to sink through the floor.

After a long moment of silence, Christian looked away and returned to setting up the tray. Right when it was full, he set it on the table and looked Aeysu right in the eyes.

"Go ahead.", he whispered, and turned to walk away. Aeysu smiled excitedly, but the old man didn't share his enthusiasim. He follow Christian with his eyes as he left the room, looking as if he had just been slapped across the face. He turned to Aeysu with a look of conflicting emotions before shaking his head.

With a sigh he gave in, "Well go on then.", he piped out, and began combing his beard with the tips of his fingers.

Aeysu grabbed the tray and trotted to the door before he changed his mind a second time. At the door he paused, and took a deep breath. He was about to meet the man that would either die at his hands, or kill Aeysu himself. His heart began to race as he opened to door ever so slowly.

The room was darkly light, and only had a single candle lighting it all. There were no windows, and the walls looked to be made of stone. Aeysu paused a few moments to let his eyes adjust before walking in. He quickly saw the silluette of Theo Abbot, who was sitting up in his bed.

"Where's Christian?", he asked accusingly.

Aeysu didn't respond, instead just examining the man. He looked a few years older than Aeysu, also being taller and more muscular. This man was a warrior, no doubt about it.

His head was near shaven, and Aeysu couldn't make out the color. He just stood motionless, having so many questions and so little time to ask them.

"Uh.." Theo said, looking at Aeysu as if he was deaf, "who are you?"

Aeysu snapped out of his trance, and walked to his bedside. He handed to man his tray, and sat on the stool behind him. Theo took it, and looked as if he was about to eat.

He paused with his first spoonfull of stew and inch from his mouth, and again looked questoningly at Aeysu. "Do you need something? I hear theres some war games this month if you want a show.", he said sarcastically.

Aeysu looked him straight in the eyes, "You don't know who I am, do you.."

He had assumed Christian would have told him by now. Whether his mentor has his reasons or not, he felt it was right to tell him.

"I've seen you once before. Do I know who you are? Not a clue.", he turned to his food and began gulping down the stew and bread.

Aeysu adjusted himself in his seat before continuing. His heart was racing even faster than before, and he was taking small raspy breaths.

"I am...", he paused, unsure of how to proceed. He decided that just telling him straight would do fine, "I am Aeysu Laydrin."

Silence filled the room, and Theo froze in mid chew. They were both motionless for several moments, until Theo swallowed and slowly turned to where Aeysu sat. He began doing exactly what Aeysu had done a minute ago, sizing him up from head to toe.

Theo sat the tray down, not breaking eye contact with his future opponent. Aeysu looked back, and had already thought of what to say next.

"I have been-", he was unable to finish the sentence, as he was taken aback by Theo's actions. In one motion, he was able to throw the blankets off of him and grab the knife that was used for cutting up his bread. Aeysu leaned back on his stool, having not expected this, and rose his arms defensively.

Theo leaped out of his bed, tackling Aeysu to the ground. While falling, Aeysu made the extra knife on Theo's tray float into his open hand. Upon the hard landing, they both went for eachothers necks. In the heat of the moment, both had forgotten one thing. If the battle doesn't happen with them both in possession of the swords, then it acts like it never took place.

They slashed at eachother, dodging and rolling to try and take a better position on the floor. Aeysu knee'd at his bandaged ribs, knocking the air out of Theo. Taking this advantage, he pushed the man off of him and ran to the opposite side of the room.

While Theo regained his footing, stilling holding the knife in his hand, Aeysu allowed his own knife to float over his head. If Theo charged, he would make the the knife fly straight through his heart, if Aeysu made that move, Theo was ready to dodge it.

The candle's flame flickered and swayed, lighting their faces lightly. With two war cries, they charged straight at eachother in a rage. Both with the intent to kill.