The Battle of Centarium

A Plan Of Excellence

Two weeks had past since Aeysu's mentor revealed himself to be Ayden Centarium. The first of two bombshells that had been dropped on them over the last number of days. To think the mage was still alive was absurd, it was too mythical to believe.

"I was, along with Verathor, the most powerful mage in history. Still, I found this power before he could," he had explained to the two dumbstruck men," Thats one of the reasons I sealed him. His power was immense, but I knew as long as men died that peace would never fail. When I realized how close he was to finding the power I had harnessed, I sealed him in a realm of fire. One that I can no longer control, which is why I created the battle."

So many questions had been asked and answered, and that's when the second secret was revealed, "You're both immortal. Along with the swords you hold, comes a peice of my magical power. Within it is the immortality all men crave. Still, one of you must die. Sadly all the other combatants who have won, died before this day."
The weight of this new caused the men to sit with their jaws open for a full minute. They were immortal? Whoever won the battle would never die by anything but a sword, and age would never fall upon them? It was like a myth, a story told to them by their parents.
Still dwelling on the fact two weeks later, they arrived at a large cave. Ayden said he had kept tabs on the Ak' Ragni over the decades, in the event that they ever captured a combatant before the battle was done. They all squatted, trying to look into the main hideout of the Ak' Ragni. The name for it was supposedly deprived from the elf word for sancturary, which was "Crom".

"Are you sure they're in there, sir?" Aeysu asked, skeptical as to whether the mage's espionage was over-hyped.

"Of course they are! The question is how many, and how do we get in?"

At this Theo turned to them all and pointed at the cave, "Through the damned door! Valonir could be dead already, but if he's not I'm not subjecting him to any more torture!"

Ayden stuck a finger in the air towards Theo, but didn't take his eyes off of Crom. The look on his face indicated that gears were turning in his head, and he followed up with another finger at Christian.

"What's the closest town?", he questioned.

"Uhhh... from the distance of the trees I would guess Heavos. The port city that has the ocean to one side. Its about twenty miles out, why?"

Ayden smiled and stood up from his crouching position. He brushed the dirt from his knees before turning to the men.

"Theo, I'm sorry to say this but if Valonir hadn't given your location, he'd still be alive. Still, they might have your names." he paced back and forth, seemingly saying this to himself, "If that's true, then the appearance of one would draw their full attention. This close to their hideout would be the perfect snare for them. We could sneak in, get the elf and the sword, and be out before they realize its a ruse."

"A distraction? How?" Aeysu asked, liking what he was hearing so far.

"Christian, I need you to take Aeysu's sword, and get tthe attention of the largest crowd. Tell them everything about the battle, how its not a myth and expose the Ak' Ragni. Only you will pose as Theo. Their spies will send a message to them and the bulk of the Ak' Ragni will be on their way. We could take this time to get in and out, and you will meet us three miles that way.", he pointed in the oppoilsite direction.

Theo squinted, obviously wanting to add his input on the plan, "Why don't I just go? I am a combatant so it would make sense that I be the one to play myself in this role."

Christian was already tying his belt around his waist and packing for the fast trip to Heavos.

"You were nearly killed by four of these men. Whether you are unarmed or not, I am a stronger warrior. You don't know how to flee from an impending battle, and you are too valuble to lose.", Christian debunked every bit of logic Theo thought he had in one statement.

Theo's mouth was gaping open as he shook his head. He then watched Aeysu reluctantly give up his crimson sword. They both felt attached to their swords, more and more every moment. Christian said his goodbyes and ran into the trees towards the port city of Heavos.
Hours past before the three men remaining saw the red cloaks of the Ak' Ragni exiting their base. There had to be thrirty of the men, all wearing the same long red cloaks that fluttered behind them while they ran. They waited until the men were out of sight before sliding down a hill and jolting towards the entrance to Crom.
As they grew closer, the cave's entrance seemed to grow larger, it was at lead a hundred feet tall and wide. As the approached the entrance to this massive cave, Ayden began muttering quickly under his breath. Aeysu assumed he was breaking some kind of magical barriers, and didn't break the mage's concentration.
They stopped inches from the entrance, and the combatants drew their swords. They glanced down at them with depressed eyes, missing their dragon swords. Aeysu and Ayden slipped on their protectice gloves, and looked at each other.

"Go!" Ayden whispered, and they ran into the darkness ahead. Ready for whomever or whatever awaited them in Crom.