The Battle of Centarium

Fight of the Great Kings

"Okay, Christian.. whats happening? The noise, the sword. Even the damn sky is on fire!" Exclaimed Aeysu, moving toward the nearest chair. "Am I just goin' crazy?" He huffed as he sat. Amused, Christian picked up a stack of swords, the ones he intended to sell to Aeysu in what seemed a days past.

"No boy, your not goin' crazy. You jus' need to calm down and listen." He explained while looking for a place to set the swords. "Oh, an' one more thing." Christian added quickly, walking to a table across room of the house, "The sky isn't on fire."

"I know what I saw! Its on f-" Aeysu stopped abruptly as he looked out the window to see that the flames had vanished. "No. No I swear it was on-"

" Boy I said calm down. I pointed the damned sky out to you. You think I don't know what you saw?" Christian insisted, examining the swords one by one in a hurried way. "Only three people saw that flame tonight, I know of two. Of course," he added sarcastically, "I didn't expect you to be on of them."

Feeling like he was abandoned in the dark, he pleaded, "Please, sir. Tell me whats going on here!" Mr. Neobus examined a secons blade for a moment, then shook his head and threw it next to the first rejected sword. Aeysu, at the same time, set the brilliant sword in his lap and watched it, awaiting an answer.

"The battle of Centarium." He answered, "I know you've heard of Ayden Centarium. Right?" Aeysu thought back, and remembered the name from a childhood story.

"The magician? The one who sealed Verathor in the old stories?" Aeysu asked, unsure if his memory had served correctly.

"Exactly!" Christian piped out, waving a finger in the air, but otherwise paying attention to the swords he continuously rejected. "But its not a story boy, its real. Before this nation was formed, it was many. Verathor was king of one of these nations, and his borders spread like the plague in wake of his power. Both a warrior and a magician, and a master of each in his own right, he was unbeatable in battle." He explained.

"You know how it went, he expanded his nation with maddening greed, and instead of destroying a country, he would challenge its king. If he accepted they would fight to the death, if not then Verathor would destroy the nation with his armies and then kill the king anyway"

Christian finally smiled at one of the swords, and jumped up to strap it to his belt. All the while Aeysu waited for him to get to the point as to how the sky was ablaze. "You see," Mr. Neobus continued after the sword was in its correct and readied position, "The greatest king of the age, whose name is sadly lost, challenged him. As always, Verathor killed the great king. This time, however, the battle was so great that Verathor had to pay full attention to his opponent. Ayden Centarium, the greatest mage to ever live, next to Verathor that is, was in the crowd viewing the battle."

Aeysu cut in, impatient and confused,
"I know the story Mr. Neobus. The mage sealed Verathor away right as he struck down the king. Everyone lived happily ever after, and none of it has a damn thing to do with what has been happening." Expressing his words with quick movements of his hands and sarcastic tones.

Now thrusting food into the pack Aeysu had brought, Christian laughed and accelerated the conversation, as if in haste.

"Thats where your wrong boy. It has everythin' to do with it. He was sealed, yes, but not fer' good. Ayden foretold that every two-hundred and fifty years, he would have a chance to escape. So he made precautions. You see that sword?" He pointed at the Blade on Aeysu's legs, and he nodded. "Thats half of Verathors sword."

Aeysu gazed at the sword in wonder and speculation.
"Half?" Was the first question to come to his mind.
"Yea, half boy. Aren't you listening?" He scampered, looking through the broken cabinets for any food. "Ayden split the blade into two identical swords. Its legend that they return to the world every two and a half centuries. Now, I know for a fact that this legend is true." He finished with infirmity.

Aeysu watched the sword and repeated what he caught, "So this sword appeared cuz' its been so many years since Verathor was imprisoned? So.. what does it mean." He added, wanting a final answer. Christian heaved on his jacket, and pulled the pack onto his back.

"Thats the part I've been saving for last. Boy, how good are you with a blade?" Aeysu was stunned,
"A blade? I haven't swung a sword in years! Not since I was a boy." He quipped, frightful of where the conversation was going.

"Well then we have two years to train, lets go." Mr. Neobus dictated and walked toward to door.
"Train? Two years? I'm not training with anyone. Whats wrong with you?"

Christian paused at the door, and without looking over his shoulder he said,
"From the moment you touched that sword, you have been a participant in the battle of Centarium. Ayden set it in stone that for Verathor to stay sealed, two must fight as Verathor himself fought on the day he was imprisoned. Two must fight, and one must die."

He lowered his voice, and waited for a response. Aeysu was dumbfounded. A fight to the death? It wasn't possible, he couldn't fight. He could barely swing a sword.

"I can't fight. I'd die.." He said softly to himself.

"Then you will die, but you will not hide. If the battle does not take place in two years, the sky will burn as you saw it burn tonight. Only this time, Verathor will again walk the earth. I'm sorry son, but you have to fight."

Aeysu sat back and tuned all else in the world out. He sat in self pity and confusion. Praying to rise from this wide awake nightmare.

"Can't you.. well.." he stammered, unable to speak clearly, "can't you train me here, sir? In my free time?"

Mr. Neobus snorted, and turned with a gaze of pure criticism, "Boy, this isn't something to do in your free time. This isn't a game. I know its hard to take in, but this is your life now. This is your destiny, your calling."

Aeysu filled with resentment, " I don't want a damned destiny! I'm not one of the types to dream of blood and glory in my dreams, and I'm not a damned boy!" he barked.

Christian threw his pack on the floor, temper also rising, "You are a boy to me until I see you as different! Coming to age doesn't give you the right to be called a man, and neither does clinging in pity for yourself when others lives are at stake."

Aeysu rose his hand to protest, but was cut off by Christian's now yelling voice, "You are only thinking of yourself. You are a vain, selfish child, who puts his life as a store keep and package boy ahead of the lives of every man, woman, and child in Eldurthain! Even that of your own father's!"

With this Aeysu wanted to retort, he wanted to yell and scream, but realized that he had nothing to yell. Mr. Neobus, an annoying man he may be, was right.

"How... I mean, what are you asking of me?" Aeysu croaked, eyes fixed on the half rotted floor. Christian stared into his eyes, apparently trying to calm himself.

"We must leave Balconad. We must train you. As I said before, I'm not the only one who knows this story to be true. I have... allies, who can help train you, boy."

Aeysu stood and lunged the brilliant sword onto his shoulder. "When?" he mumbled through his teeth.

"I'll give you a day, boy, but then we must move. If the sky seems to have stopped burning then that could only mean one thing." he explained, lifting the pack he had thrown.

"What does it mean?" he asked, watching for a reaction from his new mentor.

"The other sword has been found. Your opponent, whoever he may be, may be on the move already."
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry that this chapter is mostly dialog, but it had to be explained. There will be more action in this story, just covering the bases as of now. The next chapter will cover Theo (the man who receives the other sword).