The Battle of Centarium

Deep Breaths & Dirt Roads

Aeysu's eyes shot open as he awoke, but he didn't move to get out of bed. He felt paralyzed, as if ten men were thrusting down on his chest. Watching his ceiling in silence, in complete abandonment.
Aeysu Laydrin's life, he felt, was over. He stood, one foot at a time, and went to pack his things. 'Only the essentials, boy', Mr. Neobus had told him. He did as he was told, and without retaliating. All his fight was gone, he was empty. This was the lowest point of his life, and it only went down from there.

After he packed, he dressed in his usual work clothes. The dirty tunic and the gray pants, and today was the first time he didn't regret having to wear them. He cruised out the front door, and tried not to look back, but failed about four yards away from the door.

Aeysu spun to gaze at his childhood home, which was not in much better shape than the place Mr. Neobus had stayed. Windows cracked and shattered, the wood that made out the walls were molded and crusty, and the rood seemed it could collapse at any moment. Still, it was his home. So with heavy hearted steps, he walked away for good.

The path the his family store was the same as always, men in ripped shirts working hard to support their children, women gossiping outside open window jewelry shops, and children fighting with sticks. It was all the same, but had a different feel to it. It seemed like something was missing from the situation, something crucial. Aeysu just trudged on by, with nothing but self pity.

'Laydrin's Customer Produce & Wares' looked as busy as normal. A dozen people inside, clinging to each others hips in the crowded mess. Aeysu stepped in and began working, not able to make eye contact with Berlamag. Any time his father shouted for him to do something, he simply nodded and was on his way. If Berlamag noticed something was troubling him, he didn't mention it.

Cleaning and serving, dusting and delivering. A normal day it seemed, in almost every aspect. As the sun started to fall behind the great hills in the distance, Berlamag called for his son to lock up. He walked, and clanked the rusy steel locks together until it was acceptable.

He then turned to his father, as they were about to say their goodbyes. Berlamag, oblivious to the events that occurred the previous night, sat calmly on a new stool, one that didn't creak nearly as much as its predecessor. He walked quickly and sat on the ground beside him.

"Aeysu, ya' feelin' alright?", he asked in a concerned tone of voice.

"Yea! Yea, I'm fine. Uh, what about you?" Aeysu replied in a stammer, regretting every word as it flowed out of his mouth.

With a raised eyebrow, Berlamag nodded and stood to walk away, "I'll see ya' in the morning?", he asked with his neck turned.

Aeysu hung his head, not wanting to lie again to his own blood. He just watched his ill looking shoes, which were sown and torn. He made a mental not to get his pair of boots before hiking onto the rode.

"Aeysu? I'll see ya' tomorrow?", he repeated, taking slow steps away.

Aeysu snapped back into reality and nodded. "Yea. Yea I'll be here.", he sputtered out. His stomach lurched as his father took nodded and began walking away.

He gulped, and held back tears. This, he felt, was the last time he would ever see his father. He became nothing but a dark figure, lightly dimmed by the lanterns set awkwardly each few feet. Broken down, ragged old houses on either side of him as he descended into his far off home.

Aeysu felt guilt and heartache at what was occurring. He was gone for good, the man who raised him and gave him a life, was gone. He inhaled quickly, and turned toward the Balconad city gates, feeling a dull lump in his throat.

The gate was large, and shrouded in shadows. Apparently they didn't expect people to arrive at night, so they didn't even bother. Christian Neobus was there, leaning on the wall, staring at broken and charred bricks.

He noticed the his new trainee was on the move, and went to join him. "Your pack seems heavy," he accused, looking at the bag strewn across Aeysu's back.

"I only brought tha' essentials, like you said.", Aeysu huffed in response.

With a nod, Mr. Neobus strolled through the gate with him. Aeysu looked out into the unknown world, not seeing the trees on either side of the now dirt road, but knowing that they were blowing with the wind.

He tried to come to peace with the fact he was leaving before traveling, but failed. With pain in his heart, Aeysu brushed his thick blonde hair out of his eyes and looked questioningly at Christian.

"Where are we going, sir? I mean, exactly?" He questioned. All he knew was that he was to train for a battle he didn't want.

Smiling, Neobus replied with, "Wherever I feel we should. I know a few people who could help train you, boy. As far as on the travels, we will train each day."

Aeysu felt his high hopes of an easy journey crash at his feet. 'That was fast', he thought to himself as he and his mentor walked to unknown destinations.