Sequel: Unexpected

Inexperienced

Together

I sat up out of my bed the moment my alarm clock rang. I shook my head. Was that a dream last night? Could we really have kissed?

My lips were burning. This sensation was bubbling in them, making them feel warmer than they normally are. I touched my lips. The thought of his on mine drove my mind wild. It made my heart race.

I cleared my head. I needed to get ready for school, for another day at Jared’s house. Goosebumps rose on my arms. This would be an interesting day.

It took me longer than usual to pick out something to wear. I knew exactly why, however. I knew I was being silly for trying harder but I felt an urge to. I felt compelled to please him. Is this what it’s like with every crush you get?

My hair was difficult. It took me awhile to place the pins correctly in my hair so that it would stay in place. I didn’t bother to straighten it. Time was not on my side.

While walking downstairs, it was silence. Other than a few dishes clanking in the sink, everyone was not talking. I took a step in the kitchen. My mother was washing some plates in the sink, her arms covered in dish soap, while Ella stirred her cheerios around in a bowl. My dad was reading the paper in his normal seat.

Ella glanced up with a devilish grin as I entered the room. I shot her an eye narrowing glare before retrieving an apple from the basket on the counter. I turned around, my flats squeaking on the wooden floor, and left to go to school.

It was obvious my parents were not on speaking terms with me.

I sank down into the seat in the car and sighed. I closed my eyes, inhaling a few deep breaths. My body was nearly shaking. It was upset with my family, yet it was anxious for school. Jared would be there. And after last night, who knows where we stand.

The drive to school lasted longer than usual. It was probably just me being impatient. I swung my bag over my shoulder and walked into the school. I looked around. No one was looking around suspiciously. That meant no one knew about the kiss. Which meant either two things; it didn’t happen, or Jared is too decent of a guy to blab it to his friends.

I smiled. I liked the second choice. I walked to my locker to drop off my things and pick up my textbooks for first period.

I was surprised at how attentive I was. I don’t think I’ve ever paid that much attention to any of my morning lectures until now. It was probably because I needed some excuse to not think of him.

Lunch finally came. My stomach twisted as I got in line. It took only a few short seconds to pick out Jared from the mess of students. He was standing next to a tall, skinny boy, who I figured was most likely Brett, his ‘best friend’. It took me a few minutes to realize they weren’t alone. Next to Brett was the stick thin blonde, Christy, and her tall, model-like friend, Brianna, who stood next to Jared. My heart sunk. There was no competition when it came to Brianna over me.

I paid for my drink and sandwich and exited the line, keeping my head low so that I could walk by unnoticed. But something large stopped me from walking forward. Someone wearing red and black sneakers stood in my way. I looked up to see who it was. I was staring straight into his amazing turquoise eyes.

“Thought you could sneak away from me, huh?” he murmured quietly.

“Obviously it didn’t work.” I smiled. “I didn’t want to disrupt you.”

“From what?” he said, a chuckle in his voice.

“You were talking with your friends.”

He shrugged. “I’d much rather talk to you.”

I rolled my eyes. “Sure you would.”

“Honest. You are much more interesting than those air brained teenagers,” he laughed.

I continued walking to my seat. A warm touch covered my hand. I looked down to see Jared’s hand in mine. He was holding my hand? In public? I gave him a confused look.

“Something wrong?” he asked, a slight hint of worry trailing in his deep voice.

“You’re holding my hand.”

“So? I’ve held it before, haven’t I? If you don’t want me to hold on to it, then I won’t.” I could feel him letting go.

I clung back onto it. “No, I like holding your hand. I’m just surprised.”

“At what?”

“By you holding my hand, you’re letting everyone else get the idea that we’re together.”

“What’s wrong with that?”

I thought for a moment. There was nothing wrong with it to me. “Are we together?”

We sat down. This time, he sat next to me, still not letting go of my hand. He looked me in the eyes and took a deep breath. “I….I’d like to be, Austin.”

I didn’t know how to respond.

“I was wondering if you would like to go out with me?” His voice was nervous.

My eyes grew wide. I could feel the excitement bubbling inside of me. Jared Kent just asked me out! I wanted to scream it to the world. But all I could manage was a simple, short nod.

Relief flooded his face and he relaxed back into his chair.

“How about Saturday night?”

I started to nod but then shook my head. He looked disappointed.

“Other plans?” he asked, an unreadable emotion brewing behind his face. He almost looked hurt.

“Grounded.”

“Friday?” he asked, relief once again washing over him.

“I guess a date with you is a good way to celebrate my last night of freedom.” I teased.

He laughed. “How long are you grounded for anyways?”

“Two weeks.”

“That’s not too bad.”

I shook my head. It was bad enough, however.

“We’ll have school.” He continued. “And the phone, as long as you aren’t grounded from that too.”

I shook my head. “Nope, just leaving the house.”

“Okay.” He smiled. “And maybe I can pull another break in.”

I looked at him mischievously. So it did happen. I wasn’t dreaming. We really did kiss. He really was in my room last night.

He lifted my hand to his face, turning it over, and kissing my palm. If only we weren’t at school, this wouldn’t feel so awkward.

I managed to glance around, my eyes sweeping for other curious, wandering eyes. It was obvious that everyone knew what was happening. We were something. Maybe not a couple, no matter how badly I wanted to be one. But we were definitely something. I smiled, a huge triumphant grin glowing at the thought of having Jared as my own.