Sequel: Unexpected

Inexperienced

Public Affection

When I realized that I had no other choice but to trust him, I decided that it was what’s best.

It was Wednesday. And even though our fight had only lasted a day, it felt as though it was an eternity since I’d felt so close to him. When he snuck in last night, I knew it was too late. I am slowly losing that barrier that I’ve been building. He was opening me, unwinding these emotions I never knew I could feel and I’m not sure I could ever go back to how it was before him.

It was clear to the entire school that Jared and I are a couple. We weren’t very open about it, but people knew. He likes to put an arm around my waist when we walked to sixth period together after lunch. Or intertwine his fingers with mine as we sit together in the cafeteria. And typically, whenever he is near my locker, he would stop by to talk.

I had a strict rule with displaying too much in public. He tried one too many times to kiss me softly before departing, but I didn’t want the stares. Kissing Jared was something I liked to do when it was just me and him. My whole school didn’t need to see it either.

At lunch, I was anticipating Mary. And she didn’t fail.

I was sitting at my lunch table, alone, for once. Jared was running late from an appointment and I knew he’d be there at any moment.

Mary walked briskly to my side as I was sitting. “Austin, I’m so terribly sorry!”

I looked at her strangely. “For what?”

She made her face look sad. I knew it was just an act. “I heard about you and Jared’s little lunch fiasco yesterday. And I feel like it was my fault.”

I just stared at her. And she continued talking. “I mean, I had no idea you were in the bathroom until my friend pointed out you were wearing the same shoes as one of the girls in the stalls, and I thought ‘Oh no! She shouldn’t find out this way!’”

I just smiled. “Oh, thank you so much for your concerns.”

She smiled back triumphantly. “God, I just feel horrible. Jared just couldn’t figure out a way to tell you. I mean, he’s such a sweet guy. He just doesn’t know how to control himself.” I nodded. “I hope there are no hard feelings.” She looked at me with a fake apologetic face.

Jared walked to me just then, sliding into the seat next to me. “Hey beautiful,” he said, just loud enough for Mary to hear. He kissed me; this time I had no intention of hiding it from anyone else.

Her jaw dropped. “Wh-what? What’s going on here? I thought….I thought you two were done.” She looked at me. “You, you said.”

“I said ‘thank you for your concerns’.” I smiled sheepishly.

“Jared, baby. She knows about you and me,” she exclaimed.

“There is no you and me,” he snickered.

She pouted. “Yes there is.”

He stood out of his seat. “No there isn’t Mary.” He looked so masculine and protective. “She is my girlfriend, not you. And I care about her.”

My eyes glazed over in excitement. It felt good to see Mary stutter and then stammer away, defeated.

Jared shrugged and sat back down next to me, placing an arm around my waist.

“I think she won’t bug us anytime soon,” he sighed.

“I think so too.” I smiled. “You know what?”

“What’s that?” His eyes filled with interest again.

“I believe you may have earned yourself another kiss for that,” I laughed, poking his nose with my index finger.

He smiled wide and kissed me just deeply enough to make my head start to spin.

“When is it going to end?” I asked.

He pulled back and looked at me puzzlingly. “What?”

I pulled him in closer. “I can’t be near you without going crazy.” I smiled. “You make my head spin and my heart race. How?”

He chuckled and shrugged, allowing this. “The same way you do those same things to me.”

I kissed him again, lightly this time.

“Finally warming up to showing affection in public?” He joked.

I shook my head. “Not quite, but I guess I’m just being loveable today.”

He cupped my cheek. “You sure are.” And again, he pulled me in for another kiss.

When we both pulled back, he had a small smile dancing on his lips.

I looked at him questioningly. “What is it?”

“I was wondering,” he began. “If you’d be interested in meeting my father with me, tomorrow, after school for dinner?”

My stomach churned. Surely if his mother is so sweet, his father should be very similar. I could see how eager he was for me to meet his father. I nodded. “Sure, I’d love to.”

“Really? I mean, you don’t have to if you don’t want to.”

“No, I do,” I reassured him.

He lifted a finger underneath my chin and pulled me in to sneak one last kiss before the bell rang and lunch was over.