Sequel: Unexpected

Inexperienced

Fairytale

I smudged the clear lip gloss over my pink lips. I looked at myself, making sure everything was exactly how I wanted it. My normally flat hair was curled into spirals as it flowed down my head. My eyes were lined with a thin amount of black eyeliner and my eyelashes were laced lightly with mascara.

A knock came from my door. I turned to see my mother staring at me, leaning in the doorway. She had a faint smile on her lips. “Jared’s here,” she said softly. I nodded and turned back to the mirror. She came up to me and placed her hands on my shoulders and gave them a little squeeze. “You look beautiful, Austin. Truly, you do.”

I covered her hand with one of mine and smiled. “Thank you, mom.”

“I’ll see you downstairs,” she whispered and scurried out of my room.

For some reason, my mom and I seemed to be on our way to making amends.

I stood up and did one last twirl in the mirror. The dress I had bought was white. The top part fit snug and sparkled, while the rest flowed gracefully to the ground, covering my feet. I felt like a princess.

I took a deep breath and walked slowly to the stairs. I could feel my heart beat pick up with each step that I took. When Jared came into view, all I could see was his turquoise eyes. They burned so brightly against his tan skin. When I finally broke away from his stare, I noticed his gleaming smile. My eyes then trailed down his body and noticed how his large muscular build looked even more handsome in the sleek tuxedo.

I stopped when I reached the end of the stairs. He slowly walked towards me and when he finally stood next to me, I interlocked my hand through his arm. I smiled up at him while he grabbed my interlocked hand with his free hand and smiled down at me.

He leaned down and whispered in my ear. “You look….breathtaking.”

I smiled and kissed his cheek lightly. My mother came in and picked up a plastic container. She handed it to Jared. “This is for you,” he said, taking my left hand and placing the corsage over it.

I pulled out his matching boutonniere and placed it correctly. “Are you ready?” he asked quietly.

I nodded and we graciously said our goodbyes and left. He stopped me before I could sit down in his car. He wound his strong arms around my waist and pulled me close. He bent down to kiss me deeply. I laughed a little.

“What’s so funny?” he asked curiously.

“I feel like a princess,” I explained, a small chuckle in my voice.

“You’re just as beautiful as one. No, even more beautiful,” he laughed with me, kissing my forehead.

“If I’m a princess then that must make you prince charming.” I smiled up at him.

“As long as I’m your prince charming,” he said.

I pulled him in to kiss me one last time before we drove off to prom.

Prom was held at the nicest hotel around. Just twenty minutes outside of town, it was nestled along the beach. He pulled me out of the car and we walked in together. The place was beautiful! One of the many ball rooms was decorated with twinkling lights and fountains of flowers.

“May I have this dance, your highness?” Jared bowed in front of me.

I laughed and curtsied. “You certainly may, sir.”

He laughed, took my hand, and led me into the mass of dancers. The song was slow. He wrapped his arms around my waist, pulling me close, while I rested my arms on his neck.

“Just like a fairytale,” I pointed out.

He chuckled. “Except this is even better.”

I looked at him quizzically. “How so?”

“It’s reality.” He bent down to kiss me.

“Definitely better,” I mumbled in between kisses. I could feel his smile as he nodded in agreement.

“I can’t believe this,” he said, shaking his head.

“Hmm?” I asked.

“I can’t believe I managed to find someone like you.”

“That’s strange,” I said. He looked at me questioningly. “I was just thinking the same thing.”

He rolled his eyes. “I’m the luckiest guy in the world.” This time, I rolled my eyes. “I’m telling the truth.”

“I don’t doubt that, but I’m not that much of a prize,” I explained.

“You’re even better,” he said. He leaned in and whispered in my ear. “You’re the love of my life.”

I looked up at him. “I love you too.”

He smiled and pulled me closer to him, something I wouldn’t have thought possible, and kissed me.

When prom was wrapping up, Jared walked me to the front lobby. “You’re coming back to my house, right?”

I looked at him strangely. “I told you I’m not ready for that.”

He just laughed. “I wasn’t talking about that.” He laughed again. “You forgot didn’t you?” I just shrugged. “After-prom party at my house, remember?”

“Oh,” I remembered. “Right. Totally spaced.”

“It’s okay,” he reassured me.

“Of course I’m coming,” I told him.

“Good,” he said, tightening his grip around my waist. We were walking out to his car. “Let’s get you home to change before we go.”

I nodded and nestled into his side, feeling the warmth of his body surrounding mine. I inhaled his delicious scent. Life couldn’t get any better.