Sequel: Unexpected

Inexperienced

April

It was towards the end of the summer. I was sitting on one of the oversized chairs at Starbucks, drinking an iced coffee. Starbucks became my new addiction. Because summer started, I’d waste away at home. At least here, I could spend my mornings getting my coffee fix. I’d been going here every morning since school let out.

“Are you going to be here everyday?” asked a bold voice, interrupting my thoughts. I turned to see a blonde employee eyeing me. Her eyes were a deep green and her skin was a shade of cream. She had her lips puckered. “Well?”

I shook my head. “Huh? I’m sorry. What’d you ask?”

She rolled her eyes and groaned impatiently. “Are you deaf? I asked if you were going to be here everyday. I see you every morning in here.”

I just gave her a blank stare, shrugged, and looked down.

“Aah,” she sighed. “I see.”

I looked up at her questioning.

“Let me guess; break up.” My eyes widened incredulously and a blush rose to my cheeks. “Honey,” she said, sitting down across from me. “Don’t let a silly boy ruin your life. There are plenty more fish in the sea.”

I shook my head. Jared’s the only one.

“Wow. This boys got you whipped.”

“No, he doesn’t,” I sneered. I could feel my insides telling me I was wrong.

“Oh, hun, yes he does.”

“And why do you care?” I shot her a skeptical look.

“I don’t really. I’ve just been there, that’s all.”

“And how’d you move on?” Even though I had no intention of forgetting Jared or moving on from him.

She smiled. “Party.”

I shook my head. Partying was out of the question. It’s not my style.

“C’mon. It’s Friday. There’s this great party going down tonight and I’d love to not show up alone.”

I shook my head. “I’m good, really.”

“Do it for me?”

I shook my head.

“For yourself?”

I shook my head.

“For the fun of a Friday night?”

Again, I shook my head.

“To get the slimy bastard who hurt you out of your head for just one night?”

This made me hesitate. A night without thinking of Jared seemed very appealing. I couldn’t believe myself as I nodded.

“Good,” the girl said. “Pick me up here around seven.” She began walking back to the counter.

“Wait!” She turned to look at me. “I don’t even know your name.”

“April,” she smiled.

“Austin.”

“See you tonight, Austin.” She waved. I got up and went straight home, still reveling in my unbelievable actions.

* * * *

I banged my head against the steering wheel. I’m a complete idiot for agreeing to go. Starbucks was still open, and I was waiting for April to come. She was taking her apron off and heading towards me.

“You actually came,” she laughed as she sat down.

I gave a quick shrug. “Okay, where to?”

“My place.”

“I thought we were going to a party.”

“We are, don’t worry.” She said. “But I am not showing up in this.” She pointed towards her work clothes. “And besides, you don’t really think I’m going to be seen with you dressed like that, do you?”

I glanced down at my jeans and loose fitted cami. “What’s wrong with what I’m wearing?”

“It’s great if you were going to a movie.” She teased. “But you’re going to a party. One that will be filled with cute boys! And trust me, no one will want to be with you if you are dressed like that.” She said, eyeing my clothes.

“Whatever. Where’s your place?” She told me the direction and I found myself on the other side of town. The more dangerous side.

She told me to pull into a small broken driveway. Her house was small and worn.

“Come on!” she giggled, pulling me into her home. She dragged me straight to her room. Her house was a wreck. Clothes, food, and beer bottles covered the floor. April dove straight into her closet, fishing out random items. It took her only a few minutes to pick out a ridiculous outfit; a miniskirt, hooker heals, and a belly shirt. She turned at me with an evil grin.

“Oh no,” I groaned. “I am not dressing up like that.” I gulped.

“Oh come on now, Aust,” She begged. “I promise you won’t look as fabulous as me.”

I rolled my eyes. There was not a chance in hell she’d ever get me into her skimpy clothes.