Sequel: Unexpected

Inexperienced

Unexpected

Chapter 6

When morning finally came, I nearly sprung out of the bed. My body felt on edge and I took my time getting ready. I couldn’t stop fidgeting and I wasn’t too proud to admit that it had everything to do seeing Jared after school.

I straightened my hair till it fell smooth and before I left I took a glance at the mirror and slightly groaned. It seemed no matter what I tried to do, I couldn’t be pleased with my appearance.

I nearly sprinted to the car, my heart racing. The entire way to school I sat on the edge of my seat, drumming my fingers along the wheel, and constantly changing the radio station. The fidgeting just wouldn’t end.

Once I pulled into the school parking lot, I sat in my car, taking a few deep breaths. Calming myself down seemed harder than it appeared.

While sitting in first period biology, I was amazed at how slow time seemed to pass by. I was even more amazed by the few suspicious glances and glares I received from some girls in my classes. I’ve never attracted any sort of attention from anyone before, so it was surprising to me to be getting such angry glares from girls in my school.

It more than likely had to do with Jared’s odd choice in lunch tables yesterday. “Typical,” I muttered to myself.

As soon as lunchtime arrived, my pulse quickened. Without getting anything to eat I sat down at my usual table and pulled out my notebook. Am I sitting alone today? Was yesterday a onetime thing? Why am I worried about this like it should matter?

The chair across from me squeaked along the floor as it was being pulled, breaking my train of thought. I looked up and was met with Jared’s brilliant eyes. I gave him a small smile. My doubts were completely wiped clean from my mind.

“Hello,” he said breathlessly, the start of a smile tugging on his lips.

“Hey.” It was beyond reason to me for me to fall for someone. It’s never been in my character, my nature. I mean, since when do I get butterflies in my stomach or a fluttering in my heart? But with Jared, it happened every time. This wasn’t normal for me. Was it normal for anyone? Why did it have to be Jared Kent of all people?

“Excited for our project?” he asked, no hint of enthusiasm tracing his gorgeous face.

“Ecstatic,” I replied, keeping my face as blank as his.

He shot me a crooked smile, one that made my heart nearly leap out of my chest.

“Any ideas?” he asked.

“Not really.” I smiled, completely incapacitated. My brain melted whenever he was near and couldn’t make the connection to my mouth, making words feel almost impossible.

“Well we’ll think of something.”

I gave a little shrug and smiled. Smiles seemed to be my latest expression. Must be the butterflies.

“I wanted to say thank you once again,” he said after a moment of silence.

“For what?” I asked, confusion marring my face.

“Being my friend. Believing in me,” he explained. His eyes matched his words. He was truly grateful.

“Funny,” I murmured. “I don’t remember giving you an answer about that.”

His lips twisted into a smirk. “Oh, we both already know the answer.”

I rolled my eyes and waved him off. “Yeah, yeah.” He was right. We both already did know the answer.

We both laughed while looking at one another.

“I don’t think you understand.” His face became serious and I could tell the wheels in his brain were turning. He was contemplating his words.

“Understand what?” I asked suspiciously.

He thought for a moment. “How much your friendship means to me,” he explained.

“Why would it mean so much?” I asked, uncomprehending. What is so special about a friendship with me?

“You’re the only person in this school who actually listens.” The way he said it rung with a certain tone of honesty.

And me being me, I just shrugged again.

He groaned and I gave him a puzzling look at the way the sound seemed so full of frustration. “Nothing,” he murmured.

My gaze didn’t drop from his eyes. I knew it wasn’t nothing, and I was determined to find out. I lifted an eyebrow, questioning his vagueness. He shook his head.

The bell rang and he said a quick goodbye. He was way ahead of me before I had the chance to interrogate him further. He was already talking to some of his friends. A few of the girls who walked behind him glanced back at me and glared. I turned away, shaking my head, a small triumphant smile on my face. It surprised me that these girls felt jealous of a petty lunch seat decision.

My steps felt light as I made my way to the final period of the day. It was like I was floating on air, the clouds creating a misting, effortless path to Pre-Calculus, and more importantly, Jared Kent.

When I entered the bland classroom, I took my seat, slightly anxious. The warning bell rang and I found myself completely in a blur. This was the last period until I’d be spending the afternoon with Jared at his house.

“Austin? Hello?” A hand began waving in front of my face.

I snapped my head back, shaking my mind out of its reverie. “Huh? Oh, sorry.” I blushed slightly. “Hey, Jared.”

“Hey,” he said slowly, eyeing me, slightly concerned.

Mr. Hender drew everyone’s attention and began lecturing. My fingers nervously tapped my pencil and my leg was bouncing up and down, matching the tossing and twisting motions of my churning stomach.

When the bell finally rang, I quickly packed up. I was surprised to still see Jared waiting for me. “Any day now,” he mumbled.

I looked at him confused.

“You don’t know where I live. So of course I’m giving you a ride.” He made it seem obvious.

I mouthed the word ‘oh’ and stood up next to him. He led me out of the classroom, but I stopped when I realized that I’d be leaving my car here. “Wait, Jared?”

“Yes?”

“I have to drive home. I have to drop off my car.”

He thought for a moment. “I’ll drop you off back at the school later so you can pick it up.”

“Okay,” I simply sighed.

We walked out into the senior parking lot. I caught a few curious glares and glanced from other students.

We passed hundreds of expensive cars but he didn’t stop at any of them. Instead he walked up to a huge slightly rusted red truck. I gave him a strange look.

“What?” He smirked at my surprised expression. “Not expecting this old thing?” He pointed at the pick-up truck.

I shook my head. “I was expecting something a little flashier.”

What was Jared doing driving around something so beat up as compared to all the other cars in the lot?

“Always expect the unexpected, Austin,” he murmured. I glanced up at his captivating eyes. His words surprised me. He flashed me a brilliant smile and I couldn’t help but join him.

For once, I was speechless by Jared Kent. Maybe he’s not what he appears to be.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you to my amazing 23 subscribers & 57 readers!
& thanks to my fabulous commenters from the past 2 chapters:
MarriahShadz
SilentEscape
mrsshysinger
izzylizzy95
gorgak
& im_a_fan_of_myself