Sequel: Unexpected

Inexperienced

Outcast

Chapter 8

It was near eight at night before I entered my home. The lights were on in the living room, meaning my parents were waiting for me. I locked my car and made my way towards the front door. When I stepped inside I was ‘greeted’ by the stares of my mother and father. I gave them a strange look. “Can I help you?”

My mother snarled. “How dare you, you filthy little girl!” She was towering over me. My father pulled her back, restraining her anger.

“What did I do?” I nearly groaned.

“Where have you been Austin?” my mother barked.

“Working on a school project,” I explained.

“And you didn’t care to call us?” she growled.

“I left a note.” I pointed towards the kitchen.

“Yes, we saw your little ‘note’. But how do you think it made us feel, Austin!? I had no clue who you were with or where you were. Telling me you were working on a project is not enough!” If I didn’t know any better, I could have sworn steam was spewing out her ears.

“I’m sorry,” I shrunk back slightly.

“You better be,” she growled.

I nearly flipped. “Mom, seriously? What is really going on here?”

“Nothing. Nothing other than you being a spoiled little brat,” she spat.

I couldn’t control the words before they came out. “Me? The brat? I have barely talked to you since school started seven months ago! All I’ve done is put up with you and Ella and your inane bitch talk!”

My mother gasped. “How dare you! Your sister is right up the stairs and can hear every word! You aren’t being a good role model!”

My mouth dropped. How could she even say something like that? “I don’t give a care! Let her hear me!” I raced towards the stairs and sprinted up to my room, slamming my door with all my might. Tears were beginning to form. I flew onto my bed, burrowing my face into my pillow.

Ever since Ella had been born, I’d been like the fourth wheel of the family. Ella loves herself, my mom loves Ella, and my dad loves my mom. Who’s left to love me? I’d never felt more uncomfortable in a place until I realized the reality of my own home. My mother was psychotic. Her concern was as fake as the tan she gets every other month.

And to no surprise, not one of my parents came to comfort me. No, they went to Ella. I could hear them through the walls.

“Ella, I’m so sorry your immature sister screamed like that. She should not have said a word like that.” I could just picture my mother reaching down to embrace her little ‘princess’.

“It’s okay, mommy. I’d never say a bad word like Austin did.” Her voice was slick. She knew they’d believe her, even if she curses regularly at me.

I heard a bang at my door.

My head twisted from my pillow, and I was looking at the door. “Go away!” I shouted.

“We thought you might want to know you're grounded.” My father's voice was laced with anger. His mind was completely under control.

I sighed. “Whatever.”

“Two weeks starting Saturday.” I could hear his footsteps fading as he walked away from my door.

Phew. I was at least able to meet with Jared tomorrow. We’d agreed to meet again after school.

A vibrating sound came from my pocket. I pulled out my cell phone. It read ‘New text message from Jared Kent.' My lips curved into a smile. It was strange to be feeling so many emotions racing through my body.

I pressed open. “Hey, Austin. What’s up?” it read.

I began tapping my fingers against the keyboard. I could tell him nothing, but then I’d feel horrible for lying. But then I could say what’s really going on, and have him totally freaked out.

I chose the only alternative. I turned my phone off.

I headed for the shower. I soaked in as much warm water as I could; it’s little droplets caressing me, cleaning off the tears that finally stopped falling.

I towel dried my hair and got dressed in sweatpants and an oversized t-shirt. I pulled out my notebook and a pen. I traced the designs on the cover of it. It was laced with an intricate fabric, swirls of colors brightening the faded cream background. My father had bought it for me the day Ella was born, nearly ten years ago. He said I deserved a present for becoming a big sister. Oh, how things have changed.

I began scribbling words down, continuing the song I’d originally began writing, back at the park. Words came naturally, as well as the melody, reforming its beautiful voice inside my mind.

After awhile of writing and humming the tune, I glanced at the clock. It was already ten. I set down my notebook and got out of the bed to turn the lights off.

I snuggled underneath my inviting covers. My eyes began drifting close.

Suddenly a bang sounded. It came from the window. I threw back the covers and raced towards the window. I looked out. My eyes popped out of my head and my jaw dropped. Jared Kent stood, his muscular figure glowing in the night, holding a small stone, outside of my house. He smiled and I nearly fell back and passed out.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it took so long for me to update...but I'm back!