Status: Ladies and Gents... it is back on!

Burn You Down

The Doctor will see you now

“Oh my God, Avinne, he’s so cute!” Lana practically screamed.

“Shut up! Shut up, shut up, shut up!” I whispered back.

Dr. John Romero was walking past and flashed a blinding smile in our direction. Lana nearly melted into a puddle of nurse onto the floor. Dr. Romero was the emergency room’s new surgical fellow, and was very talented. He worked constantly and was always very kind to all the nurses and other healthcare staff. Did I mention he was also enormously gorgeous? He had wavy, thick, chestnut hair and light honey eyes. God, his TEETH. They were whiter than any other teeth I had ever seen. He was amazing.

And he was staring at me.

ME.

“Good evening my lovely nurses,” he schmoozed. “How are all my patients?”

While Lana’s heart came out onto the floor, I meekly answered, “Great!”

He laughed and asked for more details, which I graciously supplied. Lana was called away by the health unit coordinator who said a patient was buzzing for her. She walked away sulkily, but not before muttering hateful, murderous words toward her patients. I smiled and then turned back toward Dr. Romero. Oh, he’s so fine.

“So, Avinne-“

“You know my name?”

“Of course! A good doctor always knows the names of the prettiest nurses,” he winked.
“Anyway, I was wondering if you had any plans for after work? I’d love to take you out for dinner tonight.”

“But, you get off much later than 7:15, don’t you?”

“On the contrary,” he replied quickly. “I got off work 2 hours ago. I was just waiting for a good opportunity to ask you out. So would you like to go?”

“Yes! Yes! Meet at my place at 9?”

“Certainly. Can’t wait.”

I don’t even remember what happened the last hour of work. Seriously.

After work, I broke the sound barrier to get home. I showered, changed, and got ready in record time, and I was pacing around the living room when I saw him pull up in a sleek gray Audi TT. Christ.

I grabbed my purse and walked down the stairs to meet him. He kissed my hand before opening the door to let me into the car. As we drove to some fancy restaurant that I knew would be delicious and expensive, we talked about all kinds of things. Work was the main topic, but I was so sick of work that I tried to turn the conversation to other topics. This week I had worked 4 days back to back, which was literally unheard of. It might not have even been legal, but all the new nurses were taking off for some reason and there was no one else to come in. While we were talking, my phone rang.

“Hey lady, where are you?”

“Oh, hey Val, I’m on my way to dinner.”

“OH MY GOD A DATE?!”

I had to hold the phone away from ear because she screamed so loud. Dr. Romero laughed.

“Yes. A date. Alert the press,” I replied.

“No, but I’ll definitely tell the boys! Come here after?”

“Sure, see you then.”

I hung up and was almost too embarrassed to even talk to Dr. Romero after that.

“Dr. Romero, I-“

“Wow Avinne, call me John. This is not the hospital.”

“John. I’m sorry my friends are very strange.”

He laughed,” Trust me, there are stranger people.”

We arrived at the restaurant, a quaint Mexican place with super authentic food and ridiculously cheap beer. I of course had three, and a gigantic steak burrito. John was highly impressed. We stayed at the restaurant for 3 hours talking, laughing, and getting to know each other. Finally, at midnight, when they closed, John said he would take me home. When we got to my apartment, we lingered outside for another half an hour.

“I had a great time tonight, Avinne.”

“Me too.”

“I would like to take you out again sometime, if that’s okay.”

“Of course!”

He smiled his brilliant smile and then slowly put his lips onto mine. I responded quickly and he put his hand on the back of neck, pulling me closer. Suddenly, the window two floors up shot open and a tiny old lady flung her upper body outside the window.

“Get a room, you no-good teenagers!”

“I’m 25 years old, Agnes! I’m an adult!” I yelled back. This lady was convinced that I was 17 and doing highly illegal things without parental consent. She’s lucky she’s 90 years old and weighs about the same. She humphed and retreated back into her dark apartment.

“Well that absolutely ruined the mood,” I said acidly.

“Oh, don’t worry about it. It was certainly a first for me,” he laughed and pecked my cheek.

“Goodnight, Avinne.”

I waved goodbye as he drove away. I went back into my apartment and switched clothes without remembering to take off my makeup. After my overnight bag was packed, I called Val to make sure that it was still okay to come over so late. She chewed me out for even thinking that it was not okay and insisted that I leave immediately. I obliged.
When I got to the house, I had barely gotten out of the car when I was mobbed by three girls and a guy. Michelle, Val, Maria, and unfortunately, Jimmy, all asked a million questions. I didn’t even think I would be able to make it through the door until Matt yanked Jimmy off me and I could make a break for it. Sadly, I only got as far as the living room couch before they caught up.

“Is he cute?”

“Where’d you go?”

“How was the food?”

“Did you fuck?!”

“Jimmy!” I slapped him on the arm and pouted. Everyone eagerly awaited answers, even Matt, Brian, and Johnny. Zacky sulked on the couch in what seemed to be an especially foul mood.

“Yes. This Mexican place. Delicious. And no, Jimmy.”

“Aw, man.”