Status: Ladies and Gents... it is back on!

Burn You Down

Second Date

I told my date story over and over until I didn’t even want to tell it anymore. Yes, John and I had fun. Yes, he’s highly attractive. But I didn’t feel that spark when we had kissed. It was hugely disappointing.

“Guys, I’m tired of telling this story, seriously. It was only three hours and I’ve given you every detail I can possibly remember.”

“Trust, we know. I’m tired of hearing it too. So shut up and quit telling it. No one cares about your golden boy doctor,” Zacky snapped.

“I was wondering when you were going to poke your fucking head in and blurt out your unwarranted opinions, Zacky. I’m impressed you held it in this long,” I yelled back instantly. Every one snickered while Zacky snarled and stalked off to his room. Sometimes he seriously pissed me off. He could’ve just gotten up and gone somewhere instead of making a huge scene and pissing me off. I hate him.

****
The next night, John came and picked me up again for another date. This time, we went to a Greek place that I’d read a great review about. It was very kitschy and cute and the food was amazing. I pretty much could not stop eating. Afterwards, we stopped to get some delicious ice cream for the drive home. I got cookie dough and he got strawberry. We drove pretty slowly, talking about things we hadn’t touched on during our first date. When we got to the house, I insisted he come meet everyone, partly because I liked him and mostly because the girls were waiting at the front door, frothing at the mouth.

We walked up the long drive to the house. John ogled the place, as I had, and commented on the nice roofwork that the house had. Who notices that shit? The door flew open when we reached the front steps, and I introduced John to Val and Michelle. We entered the house and I introduced him to everyone. Unfortunately, Gena was there and so he had to endure her bullshit.

She surprised me though.

“John, this is Zacky and his girlfriend, Gena.”

“Nice to meet you both.”

Zacky looked at John like he might rip his head off.

“Well, John. It’s nice to meet you too,” Gena purred. She stood up and shook his hand, sticking out her boobs while doing so. I would have been mad, but it was too hilarious. She said some other meaningless drivel while Zacky glared at John. He didn’t even seem to notice his girlfriend throwing herself at John.

Once the freak show was over, I walked John out to his car. We kissed again before he left, and I realized that I felt nothing. It was just a kiss. Like if I’d kissed my grandma. Weird.

****

At work, John would not leave me alone. It was beginning to freak me out because he would be everywhere I was. Everywhere. Break room, supply room, medicine room, patient’s room. At one point, I came out of the bathroom and he was standing outside of it. Lana thought I was nuts avoiding him, but I was somewhat worried that he’d become a stalker.

“Hey Avinne, got plans tonight?”

“Yes, John. I’m busy all week.”

“Oh, okay,” he dropped his head and walked out of the emergency room. I breathed a sigh of relief only to be assaulted by Lana.

“Are you stupid? Do you have a disorder that prevents you from making intelligent decisions?”

“Lana. No. Leave me alone, the dates were great but I’m not that interested. Why don’t you go ask him out yourself if you’re that obsessed?”

“I am not obsessed,” she scoffed. “I just think you are wasting a huge opportunity. You could be dating a handsome, talented, rich doctor-“

“I am not shallow enough to be with someone just because they’re rich.”

“Instead of pining over someone who hates you!” She continued.

“What?” I was completely thrown off by that.

“That Zacky guy you always talk about. Obviously you like him. Every other word out of your mouth is ‘Zacky this’ or ‘Zacky that’”

“Oh. My God. That is because I cannot stand him and he is rude to me for no reason at all. I hate the guy.”

“Hate and love are very similar, Avinne. Don’t forget,” she chided.

“Don’t talk to me for the rest of the day, Lana.” And with that, I stalked off to do some good ol’ patient care.