Status: Bit of writers block, but there will be some more soon!

Untitled

Chapter 3

I was woken by screaming. It was faint, but the piercing cries echoed across the arena. I sat up immediately and scaled a nearby tree, for a better look of the arena. A colossal wall of flames was bearing down, probably chasing tributes towards each other. I was well out of the way, but I still felt the aftermath of the searing heat as it crawled across the arena. The Careers were probably there. Maybe they were close to Katniss, or another tribute, and the Gamemakers were giving them a hand. Or a slow death. I could walk to the Careers camp and steal. I could watch them, spy and learn. I packed my back-pack with a tiny amount of food and put a knife in my belt. I laced up my boots, did up my jacket and clambered down from my little hiding place.
I trudged along. I had more or less figured out the arena. It was a simple forest, with a huge lake near the Cornucopia, some distant mountains, and a large field like area. I had been walking for some time now, only stopping for water. I had picked up reasonable supplies from the Cornucopia. But not much… Those Careers had everything though. Their large pyramid of food. I could easily take it down, but why? When I can steal from it freely, while they hunt that Katniss girl. I don’t want my family to see my name in the sky. And they won’t. They won’t cry my name and wail when Cato, or Clove, bears down on me. Because I will be quicker, one step ahead. Those District 12 tributes with their romance. It’s clearly fake, but who will listen to me? Nate, my district partner, is dead. But I’m still here. And I will survive.
A cannon roared out, and the Careers came stumbling back to their camp, followed by tracker jackers. It was easy to see that Katniss has done that. Who couldn’t have seen the towering wall of fire that forced her towards them? I had been watching them before. Earlier, before they headed off, I had watched them get food. The little pattern. It was clear what was up though. I knew, from hearing the Careers speak, about what the boy from 3 had down. I watched until I could do it with my eyes closed. Then, when they were long gone, I sprinted out. The little hop, a skip and a jump. Then I was there. I took a few things. Enough to survive; a few apples. Some crackers. It was too easy. I also took some more useful things, like some matches and a large metal pot. I could use the pot for a fire, then wash it out and cook with it. It had been cold last night, and it was too dangerous to light a fire. I had found the camp of the girl from 8 who did, on the first night and look what happened there. Then I trekked to my small camp. Even I couldn’t see it if I wasn’t looking carefully enough. From there I scaled a tree and hopped among the branches like Rue from 11. I don’t worry about her stealing from me though. She can feed herself. I’ve seen her, with Katniss when they were gathering and hunting. It is amazing how they didn’t notice me. I did hear their plan. To destroy the food. I didn’t like this. I needed the Careers to not think about me or worry about getting food so I could steal from them. That night I made sure the Careers were out, and I snuck in. I filled my large pack with food, as much as I could carry without being slowed down. This time I took other things. Like two other bags, a little rucksack and a satchel-like bag and a pair of those night-vision glasses. I put them on and looked towards the forest. I saw… A body. Lying on the floor, waiting… It was Katniss. She was probably asleep, a great time to kill her. But I thought for a bit. Cato and Clove, they would want her. They bay for her blood, all without knowing her skill with the bow. Huh, if only they had taken a minute to spy and follow her, they could know her advantage, how well she could feed herself and be a hunter.
So, I just leave her. It doesn’t matter about her. I have enough to survive longer than any of the other tributes, especially if the Careers are going to lose their food pretty soon. I wondered how they plan to destroy it. Then I thought of the best way, to help both of us. I could pretend to sneak in and show her the pattern. Surely she would figure it out, even if she is from 12. I slept peacefully that night. I woke up early, at the crack of dawn, when rosy light was just spreading across the sky. It was still cold, so I wrapped up in an extra jacket I had taken from the Careers. I took the smallest empty pack with me and a knife. I had finally decided to leave some of my things here, but I still carried the best things with me. My sleeping bag, knives, most of my food. Who knows what, or who, could be lurking out there.
It was about an hour’s trek to the Careers camp. Easy enough with a light pack and hardly any supplies. Just before I arrived, a cannon roared out. Who was that? Maybe the boy from 10. I think everyone was honestly surprised he had survived this long. Or Peeta. He had been missing for ages. At first I thought the tracker jackers had got him, but when I saw Cato had blood on his sword and a spear in his hand when he returned. Peeta had left with a spear.
When I reached the camp, I hung around in the undergrowth. I had learnt that Rue would start a fire and draw the Careers away. I would move in right after they had left and show Katniss the way. Oh, and maybe pick up a proper weapon. I could get a sword, or a bow…No, Katniss had the only bow. Maybe a spear? I ruled a weapon out though, as smoke swirled into the dove-grey sky of daybreak. The Careers rose and pointed shouting and arguing. I saw Cato argue with Clove, pointing at the boy from 3. She wanted to leave him. Eventually though Cato thrust a spear into the hands of the District 3 boy. Good. I didn’t want to have to kill him. It was easy to kill someone unprepared, but that might have drawn the Careers back.
They left, crashing into the forest with cries and shouts. I waited a few minutes, and then sprinted out. The pattern was too easy, but I knew it would be the last time I would have to do it. I took a few apples, a handful of crackers, knowing Katniss was watching me. It was tempting, all the things on display. Then I found a treat. High energy bars, a large packet of them. The wrapper claimed they had chocolate in them. I had tried chocolate once, three years ago when a victor came home to us. It was only a small amount though, about one square of a bar my family had been given. I took all of them. My pack was almost full, but I still had enough room for some wire, for snares, and a bag of dried fruit and nuts. Suddenly, I heard a heavy rustle. No. Thresh, the only tribute that could catch me. He was coming from that field over there, the one that looked like a wheat field. I ran. I followed the little path through the mines and sprinted for the trees. It was all I could to do to stop crying out. He was my immediate danger. I had to get away. I was just thinking about this as I fell. A tree root had cruelly tripped me. I panicked, and tears sprang from my eyes. A huge shadow fell over me. “No, please, no,” I whimpered. But instead of pain, I felt a large hand around my shoulders. “You good?” Thresh helped me up. I nodded frantically. “Ok.” He said. “You seen my partner? Rue?” I could only answer in little pants.
“Y-yes. I saw her. With Katniss.”
“Fire Girl?”
“Yes, her.” He nodded calmly. He seemed happy with this. He still had his hand on my back, and he quickly let go. “Thank you, fox.” I was confused.
“Fox?”
“Yes. I do not know your name.”
“It’s Lana.”
“Go then, Lana” He grunted.
“Wait,” I said. Thresh turned and looked at me. “You know the boy from 8?”
He nodded. “Do you know who killed him?” Thresh was silent for a bit.
“I kill him. Snap neck when he tried to hurt me.” This was good enough for me. I nodded and took off.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ok, slightly obscure (¬¬) but I hope its ok!