Status: Bit of writers block, but there will be some more soon!

Untitled

Chapter 7

I found the District 12’s supplies before I found them. Katniss was probably close, hunting for meat or Cato. I heard crashing a few metres ahead and as I ducked behind a bush, I caught a glimpse of blonde hair. Peeta. He had laid his supplies out under a tree. A couple of apples, a miniscule amount of cheese and a whole mound of berries. I quickly took a handful of berries and a tiny amount of cheese. Carefully, silently I took out the vial of poison and dribbled a few drops over the berries, and I waited until the deadly liquid had sunk in until I moved them into a patch of sunshine, so any little smears of the poison would disappear in the heat. Beads of sweat trickled down my forehead as I corked the bottle and began to stalk away. If Peeta saw me now, I was dead.

All my senses strained into the quiet forest, ignoring birds and focusing on twigs breaking or a heavy footfall. When I was about thirty metres away, I ate the cheese, and I took out the handful of berries. As they passed my lips, I heard the raised voice of a girl a few metres away I stopped and listened. She was blaming Peeta for eating cheese. I swallowed the berries, surprised at their strange taste. I heard her shriek at him. “Not those Peeta. They’re nightlock. You’d be dead before you hit the ground!” I froze. No. No, no, no, no. I stared at the singular berry in my hand. The dark red juice staining my fingers and palm as my hand clenched automatically around it. No! No, I had been so close! So achingly, heart-breakingly close! No! A tear leaked down my cheek and I sobbed once, which turned into gurgling. My hand went to my throat as I staggered towards a tree. I threw up and saw the red spots in the bile. But it didn’t help. I walked away and fell to my knees. I fell backwards onto the dead leaves that crackled and rustled with my weight. As I stared up into the relentless sun, I was covered in the soft dapples of the green-leaved trees. Hot blood sprayed though my stuttering lips as I blinked away tears. Tears mixed with blood, and trickled down my face. A strangled “I’m sorry” passed through my lips, as my eyes slowly closed. My last thought was of Skylar. Him smiling and pulling me up into a hug. “You’re safe now. Safe and sound” He murmured quietly. My hands fell from my throat. My breath slowed. And mind slowly blacked into nothingness.