‹ Prequel: Back to the Start
Status: HIATUS. writer's block :/ check out the prequel! :)

Smoke and Fire

4 - Kennedy POV

I can't believe it was actually her. Why is she even here? Thank god I have Sam now. I keep my eyes on Sam until she rounds the corner. Slowly turning around to face Gabi again, I ask flatly, "What did you want?"

"I-I-I guess I wanted to say hi. And umm...see how you were doing. And-", she stutters as I cut her off. 

"I'm obviously doing great, no thanks to you.", I respond curtly. "So why are you even here? It's England."

She rolls her eyes, the timidity she had shown earlier disappeared for just a minute. "I know. I got into the exchange program they offered at ASU. I've been here for the whole summer, and I'm staying until the end of the first semester."

I couldn't help but give her a small smile, knowing that she had wanted this for a long time. "Good for you.", I offer begrudgingly. 

"So", says Gabi, her timid persona back again. "How long have you and Sam been together?"

"A few months.", I say, feeling a smile tug at my mouth. 

This causes a small frown to appear on Gabi's face. "A few months?", she echoes. "And you brought her on tour with you? So it's like...serious?"

"What?", I say testily. "Do you have a problem with Sam? Because believe it or not, I have been able to move on and live my life. She's beautiful inside and out, and yes this is serious. I fall more and more in love with her everyday."

"Love?", Gabi snorts. "I call BS. You told me you loved me, once upon a time. What happened to that?"

"What happened?! You broke up with me is what happened. And although it did take me a long time to get over the fact--because yes, I was in love with you when we were young and dumb--I was also able to get over you and start falling in love again."

She starts pacing back and forth in front of me, muttering words under her breath. What the hell? Deciding that our conversation is done, I began walking back towards where Sam was. Although I had never said it to her, I wasn't lying. Everyday, I fall more and more in love with her--her personality, her smile, her infectious laugh. Before I could leave, however, Gabi grabs my arm and spins me around, pulling me into her. She grabs my face and presses her lips against mine, as I push her away. "What the fuck Gabi!", I yell. "Did you not hear anything I just said?"

"You don't love her.", she says desperately. "You love me. And I still love you. I never stopped. I just didn't have the guts to tell you. But then I saw that you guys were on tour in England while I would be, and it's fate Kenny! We're meant to be!"

Before she could say anything else, I run out of the room, but not without practically steamrolling Rachael. "Oh.", I say, startled. "I didn't see you there."

Cutting to the chase, she asks briskly, "What did Gabi want?"

"Uhh...us apparently. I don't know.", I mutter. 

"That bitch.", I think I hear Rach say under her breath. "Wait here.", she instructs. "I want you to hear this."

Strolling out to where Gabi is still standing, Rach calls out, "What are you doing here?"

Gabi whirls around, surprised. "Rachael? Is that you? Wow. I'm just here to errr...visit Kenny. And catch up. You know how it is.", she says laughing nervously. 

Why are they so strained around each other? I thought they were best friends. "Actually, I don't know how it is. I know why you're really here. Three years later and you decide to tell him right? And do you not give a shit about the fact that he is HAPPY now? That two wonderful people have found each other? Don't wreck that."

"But you know how much that hurt me to break up with him. I had to though. We weren't going anywhere!", she says practically begging. "But if we were to do this now. Well...now it could work."

"No it can't. He's dating my best friend. And she is happy. And she makes him happier than I've ever seen. Even with you. So don't mess it up. I'm not kidding."

"Best friend? What? Did that whore steal my boyfriend and my best friend from me?", asks Gabi, her voice now turning snide. Who was this? The Gabi that I had known would have never said anything like that. 

Rachael is balling her hands into fists. "Do not call her a whore.", she says through gritted teeth. "And you stopped being my best friend the moment you stopped talking to me when I most needed it. Who listened to you cry about Kenny every night for nearly a month? Me! But where were you when I needed someone to talk to? Gone! Sam is a more decent person than you in every way."

"Why are you here anyways? Still chasing after Garrett then?", smirks Gabi. 

"Garrett had moved on with life after me, too. But Sam is still my best friend.", Rachael says tightly.

"You're pathetic.", spits Gabi. "When are you going to get over the fact that he's never going to take you back?"

"Says the girl who's still chasing after HER ex. Don't worry about me. I've wasted enough of my time. I just wanted to warn you to stay away." With that and a click of her heels, Rachael turns away. "C'mon. Let's go now.", she says, pulling me before I could even respond.

"So uhh...why was I there?", I ask uncertainly, letting her pull me back towards the bus. 

"To make sure I didn't do anything I regretted.", she replies curtly. "Now go talk to Sam. I saw what Gabi did. Talk. Explain. If you don't, I will."

When we get back to the bus, Garrett is waiting for Rachael outside with a concerned look on his face. One look at him, and she runs into his arms, pulling herself as close to him as possible. At one point, I would have called him whipped, but now, I hope that Sam would trust me enough to run into my arms like that. Garrett strokes Rachael's hair as she talks to him, whispering in his ear as I look around for Sam. 

Seeing her sitting on my bunk, I walk over to her. "May I join you?", I ask somewhat formally, gesturing to her side. 

Scooting over, Sam gives me a small smile. "So. What did she want to talk to you about?"

"Well.", I begin awkwardly. "She, uhmm, asked about us. And seemed surprised that we were serious about each other. And then...well...she was saying that, errr--"

"She still loves you doesn't she?", interrupts Sam, staring at me expectantly.

"Oh. Well. Yea.", I say, watching Sam's face droop. Hurriedly, I add, "But I told her that I didn't love her anymore. That I love you."

I hear her breath catch in her throat. Shit. I didn't even realize what I just said. "Y-you love me? Like, you're in love with me?", she stutters. 

Pulling her closer to me, I place a light kiss on her jaw. "Yes. Samantha Hailey Montgomery. I love you. This isn't how I wanted to tell you, but it is what I told her. And definitely how I feel."

Her face still shocked, she says, "But did that actually stop her?"

My face turning red now, "Well, not exactly. She kind of kissed me before I walked away. Well, I walked away and she pulled me back. But I pushed her away. I swear. Rachael saw that." I quickly push all the words out of my mouth before she could say anything to me. But when I'm done, all I hear is silence. "Sam. Please say something.", I beg. "Are you angry at me? Or something. Anything."

Letting out a sigh, she says, "No Kennedy. I'm not mad at you. I was just processing everything you said. Frankly, I'm not that surprised. Maybe you missed it, but I saw the look she gave you and the glare she directed at me. But I know that I can trust you. Just...next time, we're going to not talk to her at all ok?"

"Next time? Why would there even be a next time?!", I ask. "Anyhow, I wasn't planning on letting her near me again. She's not the same."

"Good.", she says, snuggling closer into me. "But I'm tired now, so I think I'm going to sleep." Since she was already in her pajamas, she climbs into the bunk and pulls the sheets over herself. I watch her close her eyes and fall asleep. When her breaths even out, I lean over to place a kiss on her forehead. As I climb out of the bunk to get my own pajamas, she whispers, "I love you too, John Franklin Trotter, Kennedy Brock, whoever you are."
♠ ♠ ♠
Oops. It's been a while, but I'm kinda stuck on a writer's block :/ so if anyone wants to throw ideas out there...that'd be really cool :D

Read. Subscribe. Comment. Rec? :D ♥