Status: Very active!

Return to the Games

Chapter One

KATNISS'S POV

"People of District 13:
I am honored to have been elected your mayor twelve years ago, and I'm even more honored that you all hold me in highest respect, honor and trust to have kept me here for so long. I am aware that throughout the past twelve years, not many drastic changes have been made to our lifestyle here in the district. However, the time has arrived for some important choices to be made for the safety and well-being of ourselves and our children. The Capitol has informed me that they have decided to bring back the Hunger Games. They seem to think that the districts have become unwilling to cooperate with some of their demands, and they believe we have forgotten about the Dark Days. Now, as a wife and mother who has participated in the Hunger Games myself, I will not stand for this type of tyranny. It appears to me that our new president is adapting to the style of a previous president, President Snow. This behavior is unacceptable, and I need to inform you, District 13, that we cannot stand for this. Thank you."

As I walked away from the podium, down the stairs and off the stage, I could hear the murmurs throughout the crowd. I could hear the staggering disbelief and the outcries of worry for the families within the district. I could hear children the same age as mine, asking their parents what the Hunger Games were and what this meant for them. But mostly, I could hear Rose speaking softly to Everett, telling him that everything would be okay in the end and there was no way anything would happen to their family. Our family.

When I got into the crowd, I was bombarded with questions. 'What are the Hunger Games? Why is the capitol doing this to us? Will our children have to be faced with this? What does this mean?' I had no answers. I could only nod slowly and promise that I would do my best to protect everyone in the district.

"What are we going to do, Katniss?" My husband asked me aside from everyone else.

"I don't know. I don't know why they would do this. I thought after I was the mockingjay, after the second rebellion, everything would be alright." I put my head in my hands as Peeta gently massaged circles into my lower back.

"We can figure something out, honey. You did this nearly on your own last time. And now, you have me standing next to you and an entire district behind you, supporting you. You're strong, Katniss."

The conversation was interrupted by my two children, Rosalind and Everett. They both ran up to Peeta and I, shaken up from the announcement and craving a simple answer that neither their father or I could give them. Everett took hold of my left hand, and Peeta my right. Rose took her fathers hand and the four of us stood in front of our dwelling. It looked more like a haven than it ever had at that moment.

"Rosie, Everett, please go inside. We'll be there soon." Peeta told our children, motioning towards the kitchen. "Your mother and I need to talk."

After the children were inside, Peeta looked at me and said,

"The other districts want another rebellion. During the last council meeting, I heard from districts three, four, eight and eleven. They all want to fight and they want to beat the Capitol for good."

"Last time," I began, "We thought we beat the Capitol. They came back. This time, we have to be better. This time, they won't come back."

"You're right," sighed Peeta. "Let's go talk to the kids, let them know what they're in for."

----
"Mom, dad, what are the Hunger Games?" my son, Everett, asked.

"The Hunger Games," Peeta began, "Were meant to remind the twelve districts of the Dark Days. I know you learn about them in school, and no one wants to go back. However, the Capitol took it to an extreme. They ran for seventy-five years, and that was when your mother and I were young. The Capitol sent a representative to pick out two tributes from each district: one male, one female. When your mother and I were sixteen, we were the tributes."

"We stuck together, unlike so many other districts," I sighed. "Your father loved me, even back then." I smiled sadly. "He's been saving me ever since then."

"We don't want some sappy story!" Everett cried, exasperated. "We want to know what's going to happen to us!"

"Well," Peeta said slowly, "You two should be immune. It was made a law years ago that any victor's children could not be in the games."

"I don't trust them," I whispered.

"Neither do I," Peeta told me.

"So, what happens to the tributes?" Rosalind asked.

"The twenty-four tributes are sent to the Capitol. They get fed well and groomed and they're shown off like horses. Then they go to an arena and-" I stopped myself to keep my voice from breaking.

"There can only be one victor." Peeta said grimly.

"But you said you were both in the Game! You both won!" Everett started to smile.

"We played the game well," Peeta riddled.

"In most cases, there is only one survivor," I muttered.

"Why was your case different?" my son asked.

"We tricked them. It's never been done before, and I'm sure they'll make it so it can never be done again."

"So everyone else has to forfeit?" Rosalind asked.

"Everyone else has to die," Peeta sighed.

Everett started trembling and Rosalind looked like she was crumbling inside herself. Peeta tried to hold them, but they were stone-like. I looked away.

"Peeta," I said softly as slow tears made their way down my cheeks. "We need to start another rebellion."
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi everyone!

Thank you so much for reading my story! I know this chapter wasn't very good, but I had to get some background in there and introduce you to Everett and Rose. This is for a contest and I need at least ten chapters, so you'll definitely be hearing from me more!

I hope to update at least once a week or once every 2 weeks, but comments will definitely motivate me.

Tell me what you think!

PS: I think I fixed all of the dialogue and tense issues :D Oh, except for ONE capital letter that I missed. My effing bad. You all should be glad that I make those errors, or else there wouldn't be any comments. Come on! What do you think about the characters? The plot? What's going to happen next? Any of that is welcome too...

XOXO,
Brook