Status: Very active!

Return to the Games

Chapter Two

ROSALIND'S POV

I am sitting in my living room next to my brother, Everett, when I see it. The screen flickers on and on the television, in front of what must have been thousands of people, stands my mother. She's wearing her best political clothes: a navy blazer with a matching knee-length skirt and a red blouse with a ruffle neckline. She's also wearing a pin I've never seen, and most people probably won't even notice it. Will they?

"Hello, District 8. I'm Katniss Everdeen and I'm the mayor of District 13. As you all know, the Capitol is not pleased with the activity that has been going on within the districts. As you all may or may not know, this particular district is known for starting rebellions. I am here for a reason, and that reason is very simple: I need your help to defy the Capitol one last time. I did it twice in my past, however now I'm a wife, a mother, and a role model for my district. The fine line is that I cannot do this on my own. The Capitol wants to re-instill the Hunger Games. They want to rip your children from your homes and root them against the children of other districts. I was a tribute when I was sixteen, I saw my allies and my enemies get murdered. I killed a fellow child in order to save my own life. I never want another child to go through that! District 8, will you help me?"

I look over at Everett, and he's already giving me a look of disbelief. I wrap my arm around his shoulders and give him a squeeze, but he's already shut me out.

"Everett, don't you worry. Nothing's going to happen to you, or me, or mom or dad. Mom's going to make everyone join her side, just like she does with us. Don't you remember when we were little, and we got into silly arguments like who had to do laundry or who could run faster? This is the exact same thing. She'll make everyone get along, just like she did for us." I placed my hand over his tight fist and tightened my grip when he tried to move.

"She said they're going to take us away! She told all of those people that we were going to be killed and that we would kill other people! That's not okay, Rose!" He tried to hide the crack in his voice, but it was too evident. As bad is it is to go through puberty, he has to deal with all of this too.

"You know what mom and dad said. They can't take us anywhere since our parents are winners."

I was going to say more, but my dad walked into the room. His eyes traveled from the screen to me, back to the screen and finally to my younger brother's shaking frame. He paused briefly before putting his arms around the two of us and enveloping us in a hug. He said,

"Your mother knows what she's doing."

It wasn't snippy, it wasn't condescending. My father has a way with words and he has an even better way with making people feel better. He's one of the most easy men to trust in Panem.

After dad let go, Everett seemed okay. Everything seemed okay.

***
When my mom got home, the first thing she said was,

"The other districts want a rebellion too, Peeta. We need to act now."

"Didn't you only go to one through eight? What about the other three?" dad asked.

"I'm going there tomorrow, but I already know the answer. The first time, we outsmarted them. Last time, we persuaded them. Neither of those will work again, so what can we do?"

"Can't we just do what they want so they'll leave us alone?" I asked quietly.

My mom opened her mouth to respond, disapprovingly, I presume, but was interrupted by the light of the television turning on once again.

"Hello, districts of Panem. It has come to my attention that there is some concern about the changes the Capitol and myself may be making. As your president, I'm informing you that the decisions that are being made are for the best of everyone in Panem. I will be sending a representative to districts one through six tomorrow, and districts seven through thirteen the following day. This is not optional attendance. Good night."
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi everyone (:
To those of you that are reading this, THANK YOU!
This is the second installment of my story, and I really appreciate that you're taking the time to read it. Stay tuned, the next few chapters are going to be intense and full of drama! Sorry this one was so short!