Status: Very active!

Return to the Games

Chapter Four

TALON'S POV

"Hey, Pomeline! Do you want to go-"

"Play soccer? Sure, I'd love to!" my sister finished my question for me. We do this all the time, Pomeline and I. Our parents say it's a twin thing, but we've always been like this. We have a couple friends that are twins, too, but they're not like us. I guess they could be considered close, but it doesn't really compare to Pom and I. We finish each other's sentences and she eats the green beans off of my plate when mom isn't looking. I taught her how to play soccer when we were eight, and she helps me with my history homework every day.

"How did you know I was going to say that?" I joked.

"Oh, I don't know. I guess it's our twin thing!" She started dancing around and waving her hands in the air to some spooky music that only she could hear. I started laughing just in time for my mom to hurry out the door and rush us inside. She didn't say anything except for,

"Hurry along, children. In you go."

My mother's really homely. She wears a brown ankle-length dress every day with a white apron tied around her petite waist. My dad's always at work, so he hasn't really been around to raise my sister or me. Because of that, we aren't very close to him.

Once we were inside, my mom took my sister and I by the shoulders and sat us down on the couch.

"A woman representing the Capitol will be here in twenty minutes. I need you kids in your Sunday best and ready by then."

"Why's she coming here?" Pomeline asked nervously.

"I don't know, honey. I have an idea, but I really hope I'm wrong." With that, mom pushed us up the stairs towards the bedroom we share with our younger brother. He's taking a nap so we tried to be as quiet as we can.

"What do you think is going on?" My twin asked me.

"I don't know. Maybe it has something to do with what that lady from District 13 was talking about a few days ago. You know, those Games."

"But she said she didn't want that to happen, didn't she? Why would it happen right after she gave that big speech?"

"I don't know, Pom. let's just get ready and go talk to mom."

I found my brown trousers and white tunic, slipped on a pair of leather shoes and ran a comb through my hair. Out of the corner of my eye I see my sister pull her light hair back into a bun and pull on a brown dress. She's wearing leather shoes, too, and white socks with the lace on the edge.

When we walked downstairs, my mom enveloped us in a hug before walking with us to the door. She let out a deep sigh before we walked to the town center.

All of the families in the district are crowded around the stage whispering and wondering what's going on. I saw a few of my friends from class running around on the outskirts of the circle playing tag, and I was about to ask if I could play too when they were heavily scolded and brought back to their families. A woman in a bright pink suit and curled hair prances onto the stage, her heels the only sound emanating throughout the area.

"Hello District Three, and welcome to the re-instated annual reaping. As you all have been informed, the Capitol has decided to bring the Hunger Games back into play. As you all were instructed to watch the broadcasted clip, I won't take the time to explain what the games are about. Now, let's get to it! Ladies first."

I heard my mother gasp, and she clutched onto my sister and I even closer than she already had. I look up at her and as soon as our eyes meet, we hear the unthinkable.

Pomeline Edenthaw."

"No!" My sister sobs, running towards me and hugging me with all of her strength. I hug back weakly, I cannot feel my arms or legs. Pomeline is my world, my best friend and my closest family. I grip her tightly as the tears run down my cheeks.

"Pomeline Edenthaw? Please come up to the stage, dear. This is an honor." The woman says over the microphone.

My sister lets go of me, but I'm still clinging to her.

"Let me go, Talon." She whispers into my ear right before I release my grasp.

"I volunteer," I whisper, but no one can hear. "I volunteer," I say slightly louder, and only a few elders around me look at me with sorrow across their faces. One woman who appears to be about ninety looks at me and a silver teardrop races down her wrinkled face.

"You can't volunteer for a female." She says quietly and looks away.

By this time my sister is standing alone on the stage, that woman's arm around her. Pomeline is looking right at me, and I can't return her stare. She's silently crying, begging me without words to help her when there's no way I can. I start to walk away when I hear something else.

I know the woman, Ashby Bowlin, has been speaking while Pomeline and I were exchanging words without sound, but I hadn't been listening. These words hit me loud and clear.

"Talon Edenthaw."

The rest of the district audibly gasped as I turned around and looked once again at my sister. Her face was pale, eyes lifeless and grey. My mother sobbed harder, pushing away my father who only tried to comfort her. She fell to her knees, as I wanted so badly to do. Instead, I pushed through the crowd like the man I would not be able to grow up to be. My legs shook as I climbed the stairs to the stage and took my sister's hand.

"Siblings?" Ashby asks us, her eyes bright and excited.

"Twins," we respond in unison. Our voices are low, lifeless as they merged as one.

"Well," the woman piped up. "May the odds be ever in your favor."
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi everybody! I'm so sorry it took so long to update, I've been really busy lately and I lost my plan sheet for this story! I pinky swear it will never take a month to update again!

Anyway, in regards to the last chapter, I guess there was a little confusion with Pliny's siblings. You see, Lily and Laurie have a memory lapse problem that takes shape in the form of a birth defect. That's why they think Pliny is their mom. They forget she's dead. Also, Chase doesn't have a strong father figure to look up to, so he doesn't strive to be the strong male figure. Pliny has always taken care of him and been the parental figure, which is why he reacted the way he did. I hope that clears up any confusion!

So back to this chapter. I really hope you guys liked it, and thank you to the new subscriber! That made my day, lovelies! Stay tuned to see what happens to Pomeline and Talon! (: