Status: Very active!

Return to the Games

Chapter Seven

ROSALIND'S POV

I have no idea what my parents just did.

Everyone had to leave the square quickly and Everett and I were rushed into the Justice Building. I don't think I've ever been in here, actually. I know my mom does work in here a few times a week, but she never says anything about it. I guess it brings her bad memories.

When I get to my room, I wish Everett was here. This room is the size of half our home. It has soft, red carpet I can dig my toes into and the couches are white. I sit on one gently, and I feel the crushed velvet envelope me in comfort. I don't want to move.

While I'm laying on the couch, there is a knock on the door. I don't know what to expect until my parents walk in.

"Honey," my mom sighs as she rushes to my side and crushes me in an embrace. She smells like dad's favorite bread: raisin nut.

"Mom," I can't cry. "What's going on?"

"I'm sorry, Rose. I'll be with you until you enter the arena. I'll line up sponsors for you and I'll be there in spirit. You're so strong."

"What arena? Why do I need sponsors? What the hell is going to happen to me?" I ask, starting to panic. My breaths are short and my face is reddening with sweat.

"We can explain that later. For now, just know that dad and I love you."

I can tell she was going to say something else when a guard walks up to the door and tells her the time is up. My mom, being the strong-willed woman she is, wants to argue but I let her go. She gives me a quick peck on the cheek and walks out, probably to talk to my brother.

After she leaves, my dad comes in. I'm expecting hugs and kisses and "Good luck"s, but he doesn't waste time with any of that.

"Rosalind, we don't know who is going to be your mentor. The Capitol is trying to tell your mother that her duties as mayor are too important to leave, and I can't stop working for any amount of weeks. The last option is Haymitch, and although he's sobered up quite well there is no way I trust him with the lives of my kids. Your mother taught you how to hunt, and this is no different. You have to get your hands on a bow or a knife. When you land in the arena, get something quickly and get out. Don't run all the way to the cornucopia; it's a death trap. If you can't do that, find somewhere dark to hide out and use mud and grass to paint yourself. I know you can, Rose. You can do whatever you set your mind to. Stay close to your brother, take care of each other. I have so-"

"Time's up," the guard at the door booms.

"I love you, Rosalind. Good luck." My dad kisses my forehead and walks out of the room.

Is this the last time I'll get to see him?

---

When everyone leaves, a guard comes and takes me out the back exit of the building. I assume it's so no one can see me. No one believes I'll come back.

The car we take to the train station is black with two doors and a window on the roof.

"Can you open that window?" I ask, pointing upwards.

"No," he responds briskly.

"Why?"

"Because, ma'am, you might try to escape."

Once the idea had fully filtered through my head, the train station was in view. I don't know where we are, but it wasn't too long of a drive anyway.

When we get out of the car, there are hundreds of people trying to get a word in edgewise. I see a few tributes from other districts, and I have a sudden urge to talk to them. I want to know about their families and their homes. I want to know if they've ever been in love or if they do well in school. So many of them look like life is over because they got chosen to be here. How do they know it hasn't just started? I mean really, look at my parents!

There are reporters everywhere.

"How does it feel to know your parents went through this exact thing?"

"Are you trying to live up to their legacy?"

"Is this a new rebellion?"

"You look just like the girl on fire!"

I ignore everyone until I get on the train. I look out the window and smile.

When the train starts moving and I stop grimacing at everyone watching me walk into my death sentence, I can peer around the compartment I'm staying in. It has a bedroom with a canopy encircling the bed and oak dressers stocked with silk clothes of every color.

"Help yourself to anything," Ashby Bowlin had said.

The bathroom has porcelain sinks and a shower with a hose that moves. There's a changing room next to the bathroom. I walk quietly to the dresser and try to find something that feels like me. I strip off the blue dress my mother gave me and remember to fold it nicely on the bed so I don't forget it tomorrow. I pull on a loose shirt and brown pants that I find in the bottom of the drawer. I'm lacing up a pair of shoes when there's a knock.

"Rosalind? It's time for dinner." Ashby trills in her accent.

I almost tell her no, that I don't want dinner. I don't want anything you offer me. Then I remember that I have to live off of what others give me for the next how ever many weeks.

The dining room on the train is exquisite. The table is covered with a white linen cloth and the seats are plush and comfortable. They're adorned with cherry wood finish. A man in a black suit brings us chicken soup and salad with eggs in it. Everett and I exchange a look. We never have chicken at home, it's become far too expensive. After that, I'm already full. The man brings us pork chops and baked potatoes. I stop until I look at my dad. I hadn't even noticed him until now, I was so overwhelmed with this room.

"Clear your plate, Rose. Trust me." I do as I'm told.

The last thing the man brings out is a large bowl of bread pudding. It doesn't taste as good as when my dad makes it. It tastes synthetic here.

After my brother, father, Ashby and myself finish eating, she leads us into a room with large seats and a larger television screen. I'm about to ask what we're watching when the Panem anthem plays and I see the District 1 reaping all over again.

I don't want to see that girl's siblings cry again. I don't want to think about her leaving them, it makes me think about leaving Everett. I can tell he's thinking the same thing about me. I silently make the decision to become her friend. District 2 comes on, and I see a girl who doesn't look much different than me. I can see her calling out to some unknown person in the audience that she loves them. I wish I had someone in the audience who loved me. I wish I had someone to volunteer for me and for Everett, so we could be at home right now with mom and dad. I wish.

When I see the district 3 reaping, I cry. My dad and brother walk over to me and put their arms around me to absorb my sobs. Ashby offers me a tissue. The kids that got chosen can't be any older than twelve. They're siblings, too. I stop to think that maybe the four of us could form some sort of friendship. I stop. This isn't the time to make friends. All of them are probably trying to figure out how to kill my brother and I right now. I look to him, but he's watching the screen. It's on district eight. I can't watch. I look to my dad as if to get advice. I can't make friends with these people, can I?

Is everyone just out to get me?
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi readers!

Thanks for keeping up with this story, it seriously means the world to me. Just so you know, the majority of this story from now on will be in Rosalind's perspective. Next chapter you meet the stylists! Stay tuned! (:

XOXO,
Brook