Payne in My Ass.

Present

My fingers nervously twined together as my new style team set my hair in curls and painted my face so I would be ready to go perform my song in just half an hour. The guy doing my hair stopped for a second, only to pull out a braided headband that looked like my natural fiery mane and secured it on my crown.

“Calm down dear,” he spoke, taking my shaking hand in his bigger, warmer ones. “I need to paint your nails, and they’ll never get done with you shaking so much.”

I nodded my head and forced my hands to sit still while he brushed the black polish onto my long nails. “I’m sorry,” I whispered as my leg picked up the shaking.

“Don’t worry about it,” he smiled, looking up at me for a second before continuing his work. “So, what song are you singing?”

“I Hate This Part by the Pussycat Dolls,” I answered, biting into my newly painted lips. When he had finished my nails he let my hand drop and added more pink to my lips before admiring his work.

“That’s a good song.” he said, lightly brushing off some excess make up. “You’re ready.” he said, helping me up and out of the chair. “Knock ‘em dead Elle.”

I almost threw up as I took the short walk down the hallway and into Cheryl’s place. My knees knocked together and I smoothed down the edges of my blue dress. The producer nodded to me when it was time to go on. I concentrated on the sound of my heels clicking on the pavement in order to get myself out there.

“Hello Elle.” Cheryl said, nodding her head once.

“Hello,” I nervously responded with a small smile, accepting the mic with shaking hands.

“Calm down love,” she chuckled, causing me to let out light laugh. Cheryl nodded her head, telling me to continue.

I shakily took the mic and waited for my background music to start up. All my insecurities washed away as I sang the lyrics. My hips were swinging slightly and I snapped my fingers to the beat. I wanted to smile but it didn’t fit the song so I was forcing my face to a neutral expression until I was done.

“Very well.” Cheryl smiled and I took off, practically throwing the mic at the person awaiting it. I quickly made my way back to my dressing room and fished my phone out of my bag. I found my dad’s number, pressed call and clutched the phone to my ear.

Once his voicemail played I sighed, part of me always wished he would pick up, even though I knew he wouldn’t. “Hi Daddy…I um, just sang my song for Cheryl…I don’t think I did good…I miss you and I really wish you were here…you’d know what to say…” I quickly tapped the end button and let a few tears slide down my cheeks.

~*~

“So, how’d it go for you?” I asked Zain and Liam as I sucked the last of my ice coffee through the straw. We had said nothing but a hello to each other since we sat down in the dining room. Our nerves were taking a real toll on us.

“Well,” Zain started, swirling his cup around. “Louis almost didn’t make it.”

“Wait what?” I asked, dropping my fork and squinting at him.

“He got bit by something in the ocean, he had to be rushed to the ER ya know.” Zain said, shrugging it off like it was now nothing. “He got there on time.”

“Jesus,” I mumbled, picking up a muffin from the platter in front of us. “How’d ya do after that?” I asked, tearing off the top and picking pieces from it, popping them into my mouth.

“I think we did good.” Liam responded, following my lead and picking up a blueberry muffin, taking a large bite. Harry plopped down next to him, slinging his arm around his shoulder and nodding

“We did right good.” he said, nodding his curly head before shoving an entire muffin into his mouth. I tried not to gag as I put mine down.

“How’d you do Elle?” Zain asked, sipping on his coffee.

I shook my head and rubbed my eye. My reply was short and harsh. “Horrid.”

“Oh come on.” Zain said. “You have a wonderful voice.”

“Yeah, really amazing.” Liam added, “I bet you did better than anyone else.”

I rolled my eyes and picked my muffin into tiny pieces before answering “my voice cracked, I missed my high note and I think was crying the entire time? I’m not sure though I could have imagined that last part.”

Zain laughed “I’m sure you imagined that last part. You’re brilliant Elle.” he leaned forward and said softer “you made it to the singles without help of anyone else yeah?”

I forced a smile and nodded, he was right. While these boys were all amazing, I passed onto the final round by myself, they all needed to be put into a group. A slow breath pushed past my lips as I read the clock. “I gotta get back boys.”

They all bid their goodbyes as I stood up from my seat, leaving my muffin crumbs on the napkin and hurrying back to my room. I shed my pajamas and pulled on my bra and panties while trailing my fingers along the olive green dress that I was to wear. There was a darker green lace over the shimmery green material, a high neck with no sleeves. I slipped the material over my body, it lay just below my knees, the lace falling an inch past the shimmery part.

There would be no stylist today, I was on my own for this. On my own to figure out whether or not I was going on. Whether or not my dreams were to come true. I had to make myself up, do my hair and find shoes in less than an hour. I sat down in front of my mirror and ran a brush through my hair, before just throwing it over my shoulder and licking my lips. Where the heck is Lilianna when I need her, I’m not good at this hair thing. I applied a thick layer of eyeliner around my eyes and then a coat of lipstick before sighing and standing up.

The only shoes I had in the room, besides my combat boots, were white heels, and since they didn’t match I was going crazy trying to find something. A knock on my door was followed by someone wearing an earpiece announcing “Five minutes Elle.” before disappearing, so I shoved my feet into my combat boots and ran out the door.

I ran my fingers quickly through my hair before shoving my feet into my combat boots and rushing out the door. I tried not to notice everyone looking at me as we all lined up to do our interviews before going into find out if we were to move on or not. When it was finally my turn, my interview went by in a flash and the next thing I knew I was standing in front of Cheryl who was trying to avoid my gaze as I shifted from foot to foot.

“I’ve made my decision,” her voice was soft as she spoke. I squinted at her and reminded myself to breathe as I waited for her to continue. “And I’ve decided that you’ll be moving on.”

“oh my god.” I whispered, “oh my god!” A huge grin pulled onto my face and I couldn’t stop myself from jumping up and down. “Are you serious?! Oh my god!” Cheryl pulled me into a hug before I started bouncing around and knocking her things to the floor.

“We’ll start first thing tomorrow!” her smile mirrored mine; huge, shining and almost full of disbelief-mine from being chosen, hers because I almost broke her entire living room.

“Okay, okay yeah! Oh my I-I gotta to tell my mom!” I yelled, hugging her again before running out of her house and into the car. I was fidgety the entire ride back and practically jumped out of the car before it even stopped, slamming right into Niall.

“Whoa there Elle,” he grinned, helping steady me before letting out a low whistle. “Damn girl you oughta wear dresses more often.”

I rolled my eyes and slapped his shoulder. “Shut up. How’d you do?” My eyes shone with excitement as he shrugged.

“The lads decided not to say anything to you til we were all together.”

I frowned. Surely if they moved on Niall wouldn’t be able to keep it in right? I followed him back into the building. The guys surrounded a table, none of them talking. I felt my stomach drop knowing that my only friends had been eliminated from the competition.

“Elle” Zain smile, patting the couch next to him where I took a seat, crossing my legs at the knees. “Nice boots.” he tapped them, then looked back at the floor.

“You guys going home?” I asked, my voice barely above a whisper.

“I told you we could fool her!” Harry beamed, standing up excitedly.

“You arseholes!” I screamed, slapping Zain’s chest before hugging him tightly. Then turning to my other side and enveloping Liam in a hug as he chuckled and wrapped me tightly in his arms.

“Couldn’t help it Elle. I knew you’d be gullible.” Harry’s cheeky grin had me glaring again as I pulled away from Liam. He opened his arms for a hug which I laughed and accepted.

“What about you Elle?” Liam asked, breaking up mine and Harry’s hug rather quickly.

“I’m going on too,” I exclaimed, allowing Liam to hold me tightly again. His hug much longer than the one he allowed me to have with Harry.

“Good,” He whispered, his lips gracing the top of my head.
♠ ♠ ♠
Guess whos back, back back again.

yeah, I updated. Like a year later. I have no idea what happened, but I just didn't want to write. But I'm pretty dang happy with this update. I hope everyone else is too! I should update a lot sooner than a year!