Status: I am working on this one along with many others.

Smitten Kitten

Smitten Kitten

Belle walked faster, holding down the tassels to her hat, “I”m fine Leo, just let me be!”
“I don't think so, I know your unhappy, tell me what happened.”
“No!” She refused holding down her hat, covering up her secret.
“I know your sad. Tell me! What are friends for?” Leo begged jogging to catch up to her.
“Leo,” she said turning around her long brown hair blowing around her face, “I said leave me alone....p-please,” she begged trying to hold in the tears. Instead of obeying Leo ran up to her and held onto her arms that were holding down her hat.
“Belle, please, tell me what happened,” he said in a soft hushed tone.
“I got rejected by him! Happy now? He hates me and thinks I'm a little kid!” She yelled through her tears, looking up at her best friend with anguished blue eyes. Tearing away from his grasp, Belle ran home through the cold autumn air holding down the hat, covering up her secret.
Later that day Belle was in her bedroom, the shades drawn, and her hat finally off. Staring at herself in the mirror she looked at her flicking black ears above her head in disgust.
“Dammit!” She muttered to herself in the mirror. Belle looks like a normal high school girl. She has a seemingly average life. She's your typical seventeen year old girl, or so it seems. Underneath the cover of her school uniform and best friend Leo, she is not even completely human. She is the Black Cat, a legendary creature of great power, who's destiny is to rule over her family of other animal souls like herself.
Once every sixty years, the Black Cat emerges to rule over and protect her family. But, because the Black Cat is so powerful and rare, she is targeted by greedy creatures. What they want the most from her is her claws. If the Black Cat is ever to have her claws removed, that person will have eternal youth and power, while the Black Cat will have her life force drained day by day until death succumbs her.
Hours later attempting her math homework, Belle sits in her room, scratching her cat-ear-less head. “Ahh, I don't get this! I don't get it at all!” Suddenly a smell distracts her from her worries, “Cookies?” she questions herself. Charging out the door she is greeted by her best friend Leo, holding a bowl full of cookies.
“Forgiveness cookies?” he says.
“You know me to well,” she sighs and lets him in. Cookies are her ultimate weakness.
“That's what happens when you live next door to your best friend, “ Leo sings.
“Haha I guess so.”
“What are you doing?” Leo looks around at Belle's room with math homework splattered on the floor.
“Nothing I understand.” She responds.
“You need a tutor.”
“I can't afford one” she sighs.
“How about....I become your tutor?” Leo suggests.
“But, I don't have anything to pay you with...”
“No need to pay me,” he says.
“Your funeral, I won't get it anyways,”
“Hey, don't underestimate me!”
“Whoa now, don't underestimate ME.” she laughs. Leo laughs too and sits down on the floor leaning against her bed. He grabs her book and sets in in his lap. His black hair covers his gray eyes as he looks down. His long legs stretch out before him. All the girls in school swooned over him when they first saw him, but he was so cold and uninterested in them that they soon gave up. With Leo always hanging around with Belle, it was assumed they were a couple, so girls who used to like Leo, would give Belle a hard time. Belle was, of course, oblivious to this, and doesn't look at Leo like that, they've been best friends since they could talk and she loves him, but like a brother.
“Hey! Stop eating the cookies and start learning!”
Belle turns around with a “I'm so guilty but playing innocent” face, a cookie hanging out of her mouth. “Come on shortie.” Leo bullies.
“Hey I'm not that short!”
“Your too tiny.”
“Am not!”
“Are too.”
“Grrr.” Belle admits defeat and sits down next to him, abandoning her precious cookies.
“Now what problem do you have to do?”
Belle leans over and points at the problem in the book, “That one.”
“Okay so in this situation do you know what you do with the exponent?”
“Uh....”
“Come on....” Leo encourages.
“Er...you....shank them with your graphing calculator and call it a day?”
“Haha no. But good try.” He sarcastically retorts.
“You add the exponent to this one.”
“Eh?!”
“This isn't brain surgery, Bellie.”
“For you Mr. Perfect Grades it isn't.” Belle pouts.
“Come on, you can do it little girl, “ Leo bullies pinching her cheeks.
“Ow! Hey, cut that....” a smell distracts her and she's memorized. She grabs Leo's hands off her face and smells it. She nuzzles it and smells it, it's so tasty. Leo pulls his hands away but Belle just follows, crawling over his lap to nuzzle his hand some more. Astonished he stays silent at the girl sprawled out over his lap nuzzling his large hand. Suddenly she licks his finger and the sensation of her tongue surprises him even more so that he shouts, “Belle!” Belle stops mid-nuzzle and looks around. 'Dammit!' she thinks.
“I..uh...I....” She doesn't know how to explain this slip. She looks at Leo who's cheeks have gone red and she feels her face flush and she gets up. “I'm-I'll be right back,” and she rushes out of the room. Leo stares at his hand for a moment then softly chuckles.
“Cat nip.”
That day at school Belle is recollecting her slip. She realized after Leo went home that he must have given his cat's cat nip. She kept cursing in her head all day, she can't let Leo know, he'll think she's a psycho freak and will leave her.
“Blackman!” an angry voice yells. Belle recognized the voice and sneers looking up,
“What do you want Victor?” Victor is the guy who has it out for Belle, for whatever reason. He's always calling Belle out, and always by her last name, to scold her for one thing or another. He always pisses her off.
“I heard you were rejected by Corwin. Haha how lame. You really think that guy is in your league?”
She could feel her blood start to boil. “Go away. I don't need your useless words.”
“Ohh, am I making you mad little girl? Whatcha gonna do? Go crying to your Mummie that another boy rejected you?”
“Like I'd confess to the likes of you!”
“Haha you have horrible taste. That stupid friend of yours your always hanging out with is just some delinquent. He's always troubling the staff and those around him. I bet he gets his good grades by cheating. I wouldn't be surprised.”
Belle tried as she might to control her anger but when someone talked down to Leo, she couldn't hold in in anymore. She felt her personality change and her eyes became sharp.
Belle looked up from the ground staring at Victor with malice, her pupils in angry vertical slits.
“Wanna say that again?” She growled. Victors eyes grew wide when he looked at her cat-like ones, staring ferociously into his.
“What...your eyes...what the h-hell!”
“Damn!” She covered her eyes and backed away. She can't blow her cover.
“B-Blackman, show me your eyes. Show me them now! DO IT!”
“NO!” Belle said backing up blindly.
“Do we have a problem here?” A cool voice sounded behind her. Strong, graceful arms wrapped themselves around Belle and pulled her into a body.
“Eh?” Belle sounded, confused.
“Don't worry Belle I got you, this stupid mouse won't hurt you,” Leo snarled. Leo glared at Victor, his gray eyes menacing. Victor backed away and stuttered,
“You got lucky this time Blackman, just you wait, I'm not going to let this one g-go!”
“Oh, yes you will, otherwise, you'll be hearing from me. Do you really wanna test me?” Leo threatened.
Leo was taller and stronger then Victor by far. In fact, he was probably the strongest guy in the school. His face was beautiful but scary, and people wouldn't guess that he was a sweetheart underneath, unless they messed with someone he cared about, then he reflected his looks. With his tall, muscular but lean stature, his messy black hair and the way his shirt was never completely tucked in to his uniform pants, he really did look like a delinquent. He was simply misunderstood.
“Ugh! That guy pisses me off!” Belle shouted into the pillow in the nurses office. Leo brought her here saying that she was sick but just so people wouldn't see her cat eyes. He can't let her secret be exposed, he must protect it and her. Sitting by her bedside he agreed,
“I know but you can't let him get to you, it's bad for you, he angers me as well.”
“You have no idea how bad it is for me...”Belle mumbled in to the pillow.
“What was that?”
“N-nothing.” She sputtered.
“Lets go home, schools over and I'm sure your back to normal right?” Leo knew what he was talking about but Belle didn't. She assumed he was being overly protective.
“Eh...yeah, I think so.” She still felt awkward with her crazy cat act from yesterday.
“Hey, don't be like that, yesterday was....I don't think your weird.” Leo said seeing right through her.
Highly embarrassed, Belle turned to the wall as she blushed. “Whatever, “ was all she could muster. Suddenly arms scooped her out of the nurses bed and brought her up in the air.
“Come on we're going home,” Leo stated carrying her like a damsel in distress.
“Hey put me down! I can walk you know!” Belle protested. Leo ignored her and walked into the main office.
“Nurse, she's all better, I'll take her home now. She's just a bit dizzy.”
“This is embarrassing, I can walk, I'm not dizzy! Put me down Leo!” Belle protested blushing in embarrassment.
“O-okay, get home safe then,” The nurse stumbled.
Leo gave her a devilish smile over his shoulder and said, “Will do.”
The nurse blushed and mumbled to herself, “My what an attractive boy....”
Walking home on the streets Leo still held Belle.
“Please Leo! I'm begging you!” Belle protested punching at his shoulders with no effect.
“If your that embarrassed, then why don't you hide your face in my neck?”
Confused Belle looked up at him. He was smiling blissfully looking down at her with a certain look in his eyes that gave her the chills. She blinked in confusion then feeling her cheeks burn as a women passed by gawking at them, she did as Leo said and buried her burning face into Leo's neck. The familiar scent of Leo got stronger as she did so and she was so worn out from the days events that she fell asleep in his arms.
Walking into her bedroom, Leo shut the door and carefully placed Belle down on her bed, she was sound asleep. He smiled at her sleeping face and brushed a strand of hair aside. He got a blanket and covered her up whispering, “Silly kitty.” Belle's heart started to pound. Had she just heard him right? Was that him just using an expression? What did he mean? The door closed again and Belle bolted upright.
Later that night at dinner Belle recollected the story about Victor to her parents.
“My cat eyes came out and he saw them!”
“But Leo came to your rescue and sorted it all out correct?” her mother asked.
“Y-yes, I guess so.”
“That boy is awfully mean to you but you mustn't let him get to you Belle, its dangerous. Please be careful next time and if you feel yourself slipping, just run away. We can't have any exposure or messes to clean up. I say this out of concern for you of course.” Her father instructed.
“Ah yes, dear it's almost that time of the month again so, you'd better collect your weeks homework.” Her mother pipped in.
“Right, and tell Leo what? We've used every excuse in the book haven't we?”
“We'll come up with something dear. Either way if an attack becomes at this vulnerable time we'll be going to the main house. Everyone will be delighted to see you.” Her father said.
“Oh well can't we go anyway? I miss everyone, and shouldn't I be there more often being the head?”
“Your presence is sacred there but, it's only a safe haven, not a social ball.”
“But it's my family Dad!”
“Your presence at the main house is dangerous. It's not supposed to be know to anyone at all so if we travel there as little as possible it will be fine,” he coolly explained.
“Fine. Well when I transform into my full form, can I go out at all?”
“Depends on the danger,” her mother sounded, enjoying her mashed potatoes.
“A whole week, locked up in this house. It's hard to bear.”
“You must take great care of yourself and stay hidden during such a vulnerable time. Instead of having a period like regular human girls, you must expose your true self and turn into a cat for a week. It's not so bad,” she comforted.
“Eh, well, I'm off to bed. Thanks for the meal. Love you.” Belle nonchalantly said clearing her plate. She felt they really didn't understand her at all.
“Love you too,” her parents chimed.
Later that night, Belle sits atop her roof, not being able to sleep. The image of Leo's smiling face above her pierces her thoughts constantly. She squeezes her eyes shut and holds her knees tight. Why did he look like that? What did it mean? Why did he call her a silly kitty? What if he knows? Her eyes grew wide with terror. No. If he knew then he wouldn't be her friend anymore and she'd have no one by her side. Suddenly realizing the growing emotion of fear she takes a deep breath to calm herself. Of all emotions she experiences, fear is the most dangerous, because it can take her life. She sighs and lays down to look at the stars. So many bright lights, twinkling in the sky. What decided her fate? What can she do to help her family? She isn't even allowed to visit them unless she's in danger.
“You always enjoy high places Bellie,” A deep voice sounds behind her.
Belle turns around to find her best friend Leo.
“I can't sleep,” she admits. Leo sits next to her and notices how tense she is.
“What were you thinking about?” He asks intuitively.
“W-what? I-I wasn't thinking of anything really,” Belle lies, getting embarrassed that she couldn't sleep because of him.
“Really? Then why are you so tense, hmm?”
“I-it's nothing,” Belle says adverting her eyes. Leo laughs to himself and takes her chin lightly, guiding her gaze to him. He stares into her eyes and says,
“You can tell me anything you know, anything at all, and I'll take it.” Belle's voice is gone, it's like he knew exactly what to say. But she was confused as well, why was he acting like this?
Tears well up in her eyes, “You won't ever leave me?” Leo is surprised at first but then smiles.
“Never,” he whispers. Belle suddenly hugs Leo tightly and buries her head in his chest.
The next morning, just at sunset, Belle wakes up to find herself in Leo's arms. They're laying on the roof and he's holding her close. His breathing is even and peaceful, his face serene. She smiles not knowing why she's so happy but she is. The autumn air is crisp but warm and the leaves fall silently like slow rain. Beautiful colors of red and orange float about the air, like a calm fire. She takes in a deep breath and smells Leo's familiar scent. Leo, dreaming a sweet dream, groans in his sleep and hugs Belle tighter. Her eyes widen and a tingly sensation runs throughout her whole body. What is this feeling? She's so happy, she's confused. Why is she so happy? Suddenly the whole world becomes sharper and clearer. All the sounds become louder. She's not so cold. Leo is no longer holding a girl, he's holding a black cat.
Leo woke up alone. Where did Belle go? Last night, she fell asleep on him and he couldn't break his gaze from her soft face. She was just so beautiful that he couldn't understand. It was like a mystery to him. Looking down to the arms that held her all night, Leo see's a small black hair in the crook of his arm. He picks it up and sighs. She's transformed. Usually this mean he can't see her for a whole week. But this time he doesn't know if that's possible for him anymore. Can he reveal his own secrets to her and still protect hers?
“Well, look here, we have a pet honey!” Belle's mother exclaimed that morning. The black cat sat before her dejected. Belle thought it was offensive calling her a pet. Her mind kept going to this morning and if cat's could blush, she would be very red right now.
“Looks like it's time to break out the milk dish,” Her father sighed walking into the kitchen.
Belle walked to the windowsill and lay down, her tail flicking lazily, thinking what she could do to entertain herself this whole week when suddenly a knock came at the door. Belle stealthily snuck over and hid behind a wall, watching the door. Her father answered it and in walked Leo. “Hello Mr. Blackman, how is everything?” He asked politely.
“Just fine Leo, how about yourself?” Mr. Blackman answered casually. Why isn't her father kicking him out? He'll find out! Belle peeked from behind the wall only to be spotted by Leo.
“Oh! What a beautiful cat, I didn't know you had one!” Leo cooed as he approached her. Fearfully, Belle backed away as he tried to pick her up, but he was too swift for her. Leo took the jet black cat and held it to his neck, softly petting it's coat.
“She seems a bit scared,” Leo chuckled as he sat down on the couch and let the cat sit in his lap.
“Is tea fine Leo?” her mother asked.
“Oh yes thanks.” He answered. Leo brought his face down to the cat, sitting tensely in his lap and scratched her chin, “Come on, at least purr.” he teased. Belle tried to resist but he scratched that spot just behind her ears and she couldn't help but purr and lean into his touch.
“There, comfortable now?” Belle wanted to respond in so many different ways but cat's don't speak so she stayed silent and pretended she didn't understand.
That whole day Leo wouldn't let Belle go far out of his sight, constantly handling the cat. Her need for independence grew and grew and she began to get angry. What's his idea? Doesn't he know cats need their alone time? Jeez, he's a cat owner himself, Belle thought. Finally she made a break for it when Leo wasn't looking and hid herself. She didn't come out the rest of the time Leo was visiting. He left without seeing her again that day.
Four days later Belle is sitting alone in her room lazing about. Flicking her tail dissatisfied she wondered if she could die of boredom or get a mental illness. She began to pace around her room, looking for something to do when a smell attracted her attention. From the open window outside came the scent of fresh fish. In this form the smell was practically irresistible and she immediately went to the window. She was sniffing the air trying to locate the fish when rough hands grabbed her. She hissed in protest and looked up at her captor who was running towards a white van. He had shaggy blonde hair, a beat up cap, and a toothpick hanging out of his mouth. “Be a nice kitty,” he snarled. Belle meowed loudly in protest and bit his arm. He screamed but didn't let go, she only grazed his skin.
Suddenly a voice boomed, “Hey! Let go of her!” Leo came running out from the building, a menacing look about his face.
“Ha, run home, this has nothing to do with you boy,” the man sneered.
Leo's gaze turned cold and even Belle was scared, “This has everything to do with me. Let her go. Now.” Belle could feel the pulse of her captor start to race and she bit him where she felt the pulse the strongest and ran towards Leo. She was almost to him when a net caught her up. “Not so fast ya damn cat.” Her captor twisted the top of the net and tied a knot, his arm bleeding. He threw her to the ground and her head impacted a rock so hard her vision became fuzzy, the last thing she saw was Leo punching her captor square in the face.
Leo came running to her side with the man knocked out cold. “Belle? Belle? Answer me Belle! Do something!” She lay unconscious, now in human form, her head dampened by a flow of red blood. Leo ripped open the net and pulled her onto his lap. “Bellie please, please say something, anything,” Leo begged beginning to panic. He looked at her head wound to see the blood trickling down her face. He began to get very scared, what if she goes into a coma, and never wakes up, what if she has permanent brain damage, what if she....NO, Leo thought, he can't even think that, she wouldn't. A groan from behind him put Leo into action he scooped Belle up in his arms and carried her away from the yard and into her open bedroom window, closing and locking all windows and doors.
Coming back to her side, Leo carefully set her head in his lap and wiped the blood from her face with his t-shirt. “Bellie, Bellie please, say something to me, come back...come back...”
“L-leo?” Belle choked out.
“Bellie?! Oh thank goodness your awake!” he took her up and hugged her. There was a long moment of silence as he thanked all the powers in the world and she realized what was happening.
“D-don't hate me, L-leo, I need you....I-I need you by my side. Please d-don't go,” she whispered into his shoulder.
“What? I'd never leave you Bellie, I could never hate you. I told you, I'll never leave you.”
“You know, you know now, I'm not like you, I'm....not human,” she tried to hold back her fear.
“Belle....I've always known. I know everything, I know it all, and it doesn't matter that your not human, I'll always love you for who you are, not what you are.” Leo admitted. She began to cry then fainted from the loss of blood, and the loss of heart.
Belle woke up hours later in a moving car. She moaned in pain as she sat up, her head killed. She felt a tight pressure around her head and the world was a bit hazy. She sat up and mumbled, “Where am I?” Her voice, she noticed was raspy from lack of use.
“Oh she's awake, Belle we're on our way to the main house, everything's gonna be alright, you just rest,” her mothers calming voice sounded from the front. Looking around her she realized she was in a big car that was very luxurious, with completely blacked out windows, keeping the rare creature a secret. She sighed, not being able to think so clearly and closed her eyes.
Once at the main house her mother unpacked the car while her father carried in the sleeping Black Cat. The whole Blackman family was at the door, concern painting their faces as they saw the limp figure of Belle. The house resembled an old fashioned Japanese mansion, complete with cherry blossom tree's and a small pond in the front. The main house was completely surrounded by natural barriers. On one side it was protected by a thick, wild forest and on the other, a mountain that was rarely found on a map. It was a beautiful place, that truly resembled the tastes of their ancestors from long ago.
“Is Belle alright? What happened to her?!” Jason, Belle's close cousin asked, walking out of the crowd. His wavy blonde hair moved in the breeze and his turquoise eyes were wide with worry.
“Refer to her more properly Jason!” his mother scolded, coming to his side, “Is Ms. Belle alright Matthew?” she questioned Belle's father.
“Yes, she's simply tired from the pain medicine, show me to her room won't you?” he answered.
“Oh course right this...”
“I'll do it!” Jason interrupted, “This way Mr. Blackman, it's nice seeing you by the way, you as well Mrs. Blackman,” he added as she approached with the luggage.
“Always a pleasure Jason,” Mrs. Blackman responded with a genuine smile.
“Ms. Belle, Ms. Belle. Ms. Belle?” a gentle voice whispered.
“H-huh?” she asked becoming conscious.
“Oh your awake! How wonderful, are you feeling alright?” the voice eagerly asked.
“Now, don't berate Ms. Belle with all these questions, let her wake up,” a lower voice instructed.
“She's such a lady! I want to grow up like her!” a little girls voice whispered
“Yeah me too Anna!” another little girl responded.
“Heh, whats so great about her, she's not a lady at all,” a boy's voice sneered.
“Kyou! How could you?! Don't disrespect Lady Belle, your mother will hear about this,” the gentle voice scolded.
“All of you, leave Ms. Belle alone for now, I'll stay by her side and care for her, your all probably causing her to be confused,” the deeper voice ordered. A parade of quite footsteps died away and the door shut with an unusual sliding sound. Belle mentally felt around herself, she was in a dress? No, maybe a nightgown, and under some soft covers. Her head throbbed slightly. A warm sensation on her forehead surprised her. It hit something tender which made her groan in pain. Someone was washing her wound with a wet washcloth.
“I'm sorry Ms. Belle but it must be done, please endure this for a moment,” the low voice whispered.
“Nnn, where...am I?” she asked, finally opening her eyes to a blurry world. She could barley make out the face of a person before her. She turned towards it and asked, “W-who are you?” She reached out and held the face in her hands, trying to see with them, who it was.
“Ms. Belle, you are at the main house and I am Shea, the main butler here.”
“Your not family?” She questioned meekly.
“Not exactly,”
“But,” she drew her hands over to his neck and felt his pulse beat underneath her fingers, “Your like us, so please, consider yourself family,”
“Ms Belle....”
“At least I will...consider you family,” she declared with a weak smile, “I can't see clearly...”
Large hands placed her's down on her lap, “Your vision should clear soon, then you can prepare for tonight's dinner. I'm here to assist all your needs.”
“Ah....okay....um, may I have some water please?”
“No need to ask so formally.”
“I can't treat you like I'm better, that's....stupid.”
“You need to sit up to drink.” He said ignoring her comment and carefully helped her sit up, supporting her back. She drank it all and then unconsciously began to lean to her right, feeling weak, and she accidentally slumped onto Shea's torso. Her breathing came to a pant and feeling her forehead, Shea could tell she had a fever. She grabbed his shoulders to stay up.
“Ms Belle you need to take your medicine, you've come down with a fever,” his usually calm voice seemed to falter just a moment, but Belle thought she misheard.
With her remaining strength she looked up at the blurry face, “S-sorry, I don't seem that legendary right now,” then dropped her head and held on to the strong shoulders before her. Shea laughed quietly and eased her back into bed.
Placing a cool towel on her head he whispered, “You have no idea how legendary you are to me.”
Belle woke up to a clear world, being shaken awake.
“Mssssss. Belleee!” Jason sang.
“J-jason?” It's been so long since she's seen him, he looks so grown up, but he sure doesn't act like it.
“Yes! Hello! Good evening, it's time for you to get ready!”
“Ready?”
“For the dinner of course!”
“Oh...” she mumbled getting up. Immediately she was hit with a dizzy spell and started to fall, but Jason caught her just in time.
“Careful there Ms. Belle!” Jason laughed, “I'll lead you to the bathroom, the maids will assist you getting ready, the formal clothes have all been picked out! I'm sure you'll look gorgeous in them!”
“Ah...okay,” Belle responded helplessly. How weird will it be to get dressed by maids, she thought, but then again she probably couldn't do it herself.
An hour later Belle walked down stairs, assisted by Shea. Looking down she saw her whole family all having a great time, laughing and conversing, classical music playing in the background. It was like a movie, she thought. Shea leaned over and whispered, “Don't worry, everyone will accept and love you.” Belle tried to hide her red cheeks. Once the world became clear, so did Shea's attractiveness. He had straight brown, slicked back hair with golden eyes that seemed to see through everything and everyone. She held tightly onto his arm, thinking about how embarrassing she acted with him when she had her fever. She touched his face and his neck! Oh, how embarrassing. She still felt dizzy and was wary in these high heels. She wore a soft pink formal dress with a waist band that tied into a bow in the back. Her long brown hair hung in loose curls around her, her face lightly made up with make up. “You...” Shea trailed off.
“What?” Belle asked looking up at him.
“You look very...lovely tonight.” he said looking away.
“Ah,” her cheeks burned pink,” thank you.”
“My pleasure.” Shea said seriously. He lead her down the stair case and into the throng of family members. Shea had to escort Belle everywhere throughout the main house because she wasn't steady on her feet still having a fever. Many times Belle would trip and Shea would catch her up just in time.
Jason frequently talked with her in his usually giddy manner. He was a cute boy, she thought, he was only half a year younger then her. The two twin girls Anna and Hanna fawned over Belle and she did as well, they played many games together. One person didn't seem to happy to see her, Kyou. He was a stubborn little boy of ten years, and he didn't want a thing to do with Belle. She tried to be nice to him but found it to be a useless effort. She decided with a sneer that he would be her challenge. Her Uncle Hugh greeted Belle in a nice manner, not at all what his features portrayed. His eyes seemed to glare at everyone but he smiled so warmly that she liked him. Suddenly a clang of a wine glass hushed the family.
“Everyone, please be seated at the table so we may feast and rejoice in the coming of Lady Belle!” There was a huge surge into the kitchen but Shea stayed put. Belle didn't really like the formalities of calling her Ms. Belle or Lady Belle but she dealt with it, it wasn't so bad. It was her duty to be the head and if that meant being treated like something special, she would do it, even thought it made her feel uncomfortable.
“Shea, shouldn't we be going in?” she asked looking up at him.
“The guest of honor must enter last, after everyone.”
“Eh...is that so,” she said nervously. She wasn't exactly the type who liked to be the center of attention. She looked down and fidgeted with her dress.
Shea laughed, “Don't be so worried about it. We can't have a shy cat now.”
“Heh...” she laughed back meekly. That did nothing to calm her, she was nervous now.
She was placed at the head of the table and at the opposite side was her uncle Hugh, who acted as the head most of the time because Belle wasn't of age yet. Hugh took this position because his wife was the previous Black Cat. He took up his wine glass and tapped it with his butter knife. “Everyone, everyone, I'm sure we're all so glad to see our Black Cat here, and to commemorate such a joyous occasion, let us retell the tale of the legendary Black Cat!” A rush of agreements came from the feasting family. “Then we shall all do our introductions, to familiarize ourselves with Lady Belle!” At the other end of the table Belle smiled as genially as she could with such attention on her. Hugh cleared his throat to silence the eager crowd and began the tale of the legendary Black Cat.
“In the beginning of time there were only two creatures on earth. A human female and a black cat. They were friends and one day the cat decided that they should populate the Earth with more beings such as themselves. The human girl agreed, seeing that this place was so large. So, they went out to a patch of bare soil and drew pictures in the brown earth. The human girl drew a picture of herself and of a similar being on two legs who she called a male. The cat drew six different beings similar yet completely different then herself. She drew a dog, hawk, snake, bunny, chick, and a mouse. After they had completed their figures, the human sat down in between the pictures and the cat sat in her lap. They looked up into the sky and asked these beings to be created. Rain started to plip and plop across the land, wetting the ground, and pouring into the soil figures. After drinking up all the rain it could hold, the Earth released the beings into the world. The cat and the girl rejoiced and were very happy. The first created beings bowed before them, saying they would help and serve them as their creations. Surprised and honored the human and cat accepted and decided to become one being so that they may rule equally and never part. After each rain, for a month, the Earth produced more beings from the figures in the soil. The first original seven beings stayed by their creator and soon decided to combine themselves as well, so that they could serve the creator equally. So, the first created dedicated their lives to helping the new creature, the Legendary Black Cat, who created our kind and helped the Earth flourish.”
A few moments of silence greeted the ending of the story, then a round of applause arose and smiles broke upon the happy faces of the family. Belle clapped along with her family as in awe as the rest of them. She had never heard the full story before and realized now what she meant to everyone else. After a few moments of excited chattering, Hugh quieted the crowd once more, “Now, we shall introduce the first six disciples of the Black Cat, who dedicated their lives to her, to honor and serve her at all costs. I shall begin as an example for the rest.” Hugh turned his gaze to Belle and gave her a warm smile as he recited, “Oh lady of creation, I, the snake, shall honor and serve thee till the end of my beautiful time here on Earth, hail the Black Cat, Lady Belle.” Her uncle smiled and Belle sat there in awe, she could feel this sensation in her heart, as if it was being slowly filled with warm light. Feeling her tail start to grow, she knew she was happy. She smiled genuinely back at her uncle and he looked at Jason. He light up and sat up straighter, clearing his throat eagerly.
“Oh lady of creation, I the dog, shall honor and serve thee till the end of my beautiful time here on Earth, hail the Black Cat, Lady Belle.” The whole time during his vow, he beamed at Belle and talked only to her. He couldn't help himself, he got up from his chair, ran to the end of the table, and hugged Belle whispering, “Welcome Belle, I'm so happy I got to say my vows to you! If you need anything please, ask!”
“Ah thank you, of course,” She said surprised.
Next was Anna, she giggled before she began and looked to Belle, “Oh lady of creation, I the bunny, shall honor and serve thee till the end of my beautiful time here on Earth, hail the Black Cat, Lady Belle.”
Hanna immediately did the same, blushing, “Oh lady of creation, I the chick, shall honor and serve thee till the end of my beautiful time here on Earth, hail the Black Cat, Lady belle.” Anna hugged her in congratulations. Hanna looked over to Kyou who sat in his chair, arms folded.
“Ah god, do I really have to do this lame speech? It's so pointless,” he grumbled. His mother sitting next to him looked at him appalled.
“Kyou!” she scolded giving him a stern look that meant business.
“Fine. Oh lady of creation, I the mouse, shall honor and serve thee till the end of my beautiful time here on Earth....” he paused to sigh dramatically, “ hail the Black Cat, Lady Belle.” He glared at Belle then looked down at his plate. She didn't feel hated, she was highly amused at the little boy's performance, stiffing a giggle. She saw right through him.
“Seems like I go last, “ Shea said to her right. Belle was startled, he was one of the six disciples? But he told her that he was simply her servant....so this is what he meant. She was confused with her fever. He turned his intense gaze to her and she tried to act normal, but she could feel her cheeks splash with pink.
“Oh lady of creation, I the hawk, shall honor and serve thee till the end of my beautiful time here on Earth, hail the Black Cat, Lady Belle.” His voice was so deep and his tone so sincere, she had to hold herself in her chair to keep from getting weak. She smiled meekly at Shea.
That night before bed, Belle clutched her chest with a smile. With each vow, that bright light flowed into her heart more and more until it was full. She was so happy that she couldn't keep her lips from turning up. Her black tail, fully grown in, flicked from side to side contently. She went through all the vows in her own mind and how each person shaped that uniform vow into their own. A knock on her door woke her from inside her head, “Ah, come in.”
Jason peeked his head in then beamed at Belle coming in and closing the door behind him. “I knew it! You look beautiful even in pajamas! Ah my lady is so...awesome! And look at your tail! So beautiful!”
“Haha Jason, please don't be so formal, we're family and thank you, really,” she said with a smile, glancing at her tail.
Jason came over and sat down next to her on the bed, “Oh well I have to be formal in front of everyone else but I can be normal in private! Our little secret?” He drew up his pinky and brought his face close to hers.
She smiled and locked her pinky with his, “Our little secret.” Jason beamed and hugged Belle.
“Yay! I'm so happy! Well, I just wanted to say good night to you, I should let you have sweet dreams! Goodnight Belle, “ he leaned in and kissed her cheek, “don't let the bed bugs bite,” he whispered, the tone of his voice suddenly more mature and serious. In shock, her eyes were wide and she lost her will to speak. Jason had never acted like that toward Belle, he was always so happy and childish, what was going on?
“Ah, g-good night,” she sputtered. Jason left the room with a smile she'd never seen before.
Soon after her eyes closed, dreary from the eventful day, Belle saw Leo's face. She dreamed about how he held her in his arms, promising to never leaver her, saying that he knows what she is, but he doesn't mind. In the dream Leo had that same face as he did when he carried her home from the nurses office. He uttered the words, “I will always lo-....” and then she woke up. Leo knows, that's right! And what's more, he accepts her! She must have been so dizzy from her head wound being so fresh at the time that she forgot all about it, but now she remembers. But, what was he about to say at the end?
The next day, after breakfast was over Belle snuck off to be alone. She loves people, but she loves her alone time as well. It's sad to say but, people can wear her out sometimes. Walking out the back door she started for the pond area. Winding along the stone path she felt like she'd been here before, like it was familiar, though she couldn't recall any memories of this area. Suddenly, in the midst of regular trees, was a beautiful blooming cherry blossom. She smiled and looked up at the beautiful flowers, their petals flowing about in the breeze. Belle climbed up the tree with ease and took a seat on a branch. She felt the tightness of the bandage on her head. The wind whispered a sweet song in her ear and played with her hair, soon she found her eyes were to heavy to open.
Shea walked out of the main house looking around. The cat had snuck off so quietly, even the hawk didn't hear it. “Lady Belle?” he called out. No answer came to him, so the wind decided to help him out. It breezed through her hair and traveled all the way to him. He immediately recognized the scent from the night of her fever. He followed the trail until he found the cherry blossom. He smiled when he saw her fast asleep atop a branch, “What are you doing up there you silly kitty?” he mumbled to himself, entertained. Without warning the cats body began to slip from its branch and fell through the air. The hawk jumped into action, spread it's wings, catching the girl just in time.
Clutching Belle, Shea soared over to the house and landed on the roof.
“Belle? Ms Belle?” he gently tapped her cheeks. They were cold from the wind. He closed his wings around her, closing out the cold.
“Wh-what? Shea? Whats going on?” Belle asked opening her eyes. Shea's face was very close to hers, showing emotion unlike his usual serious face. She couldn't find the words to describe what was pouring out of his eyes but it scared and entranced her all the same.
“Wings! Y-you have wings Shea! You can fly?”
“Ah, oh yes, Ms Belle, you scared me, you fell from the tree while asleep and you could have seriously injured yourself! Please, don't make me afraid.”
“Afraid...” the word was something she was never to encounter. The thing her parents told her over and over again would cost her her life. She made Shea feel fear? Oh how horrible, she thought. Reaching her arms around Shea's broad shoulders, she hugged him tight. “I'm sorry....I'm so sorry, fear is a horrible emotion, I'm sorry.” Unintentionally she breathed on the nape of his neck and he closed his eyes and hugged her back. These feelings he has for Lady Belle are unlike any he's every had before, if at all. Slowly the embrace came apart, but he stopped it just as their faces were an inch apart. He looked into her blue eyes, which he thought were beautiful, and she stared confused and nervously back into his.
“Sh-shea?”
“Lady...Belle...” he breathed. He leaned in closer and she froze, what was he doing? Her cheeks burned red and she felt his breath upon her skin. His nose grazed hers and his mouth was so close to hers, he felt the immense need to close the gap between them, to show his love for her underneath the shield of his wings.
“Lady...Belle....please, allow me to express my feelings...”he whispered.
“Your feelings?” Shea closed his eyes and slowly began to part the distance between them.
“MS BELLE?!” someone screamed so suddenly that eyes flew open and Belle jumped back, panting. Shea stared at her, in shock.
“I...I...you'd better get down there, let me escort you Lady Belle. Forgive me.” he looked down his serious expression and tone back.
“Y-yes, down...” she uttered.
“Ms Belle?!” the voice shouted once more.
“Coming, sorry!” Without another word Shea picked up Belle and flew down from the roof, landing easily on the soil, in front of Anna, who stood behind the open door of the house. Shea folded his wings and walked away, trying to hide his embarrassment.
“Ah there you are! Everyone's looking for you, you should come inside!”
“Oh, sorry for worrying you all.”
“Not at all!” Anna giggled and took her hand, beaming up at her. As they walked inside she inquired, “By the way, what were you two doing up there?”
Looking behind her she searched for Shea with no avail. “Ah, I don't really know....to be honest.” And that was the truth. Anna nodded and affectionately hugged Belle's arm.
After her head wound was fully healed, it was decided Belle should get back home. Shea acted as if nothing happened between them and simply smiled at her to say goodbye. Jason hugged her enthusiastically and slipped a piece of paper in her back pocket. It was his number. The twin girls stood together hand in hand, Hanna crying and Anna trying to comfort her as she with held her own tears. Belle leaned down, and hugged and kissed them both, promising to come and play very soon. Uncle Hugh patted her head and told her, “Be safe,” with his usual warm smile.
“Bye everyone, thank you so much for everything, I love you!” Belle said to the family before she got into the car. Everyone waved and smiled, even the crying twins.
“Blackman! Where have you been huh? Skipping? That delinquent friend of yours influencing you that much eh?” Victor scorned later that week at school.
“Awesome just what I need,” Belle muttered to herself then responded, “Go away.”
“Why should I? I have all the right to be here. You can't tell me what to do. By the way, about the other day I need to talk to you about....HEY! Where are you going?!” Belle ran away feeling anger prick behind her eyes. Squeezing her eyes shut as she ran she tried to dissolve the annoying voice of Victor. Wham! She slammed into someone's sturdy body and her books went flying.
“Belle? What are you doing?”
“Oh Leo! Um...sorry,” she held her head, “Ow...”
“Oh no your injury are you okay?” Leo came closer and held her head, inspecting for the wound.
“Ah yeah I'm fine just a little sensitive,” she took his hands off her, “Whats with the touchy feely?” she asked perplexed. Leo stared at her. What did she mean touchy feely? Isn't this only natural after he's confessed to her? Maybe she didn't remember. Leo sighed, he needed a clear conversation with her. He looked around at the many students bustling through the halls.
He grabbed Belle's hand, “Come with me.”
On the rooftop of the school, Leo sat Belle down.
“What do you remember from the incident?”
“Ah, the man, and you hurting him. Then it's black for a bit, then...you know my...my secret but you accept me and then....” she pondered looking up, “It's all black until I woke up in the car.”
Leo looked down into his lap. She missed the most important part. What should he do?
“Ah Belle, there was something else I said...” he trailed off then looked up from his lap. She noticed the intense gaze his eyes took upon her.
“W-what did I miss?” she stuttered, taken aback by the intense look. Leo leaned in closer to her and looked into her eyes.
“Leo...” she looked away uncomfortable.
“There's something very important that you missed, look at me,” she looked at him again,” I want to tell you, so please listen, and know I'm very serious. What I said that time was that I know what you are, I've known all along, but I accept you, I said that I would never leave you and I'll always be right by your side, “ he grasped her chin to bring her eyes back up and she felt her cheeks grow hot, “but most importantly, I said that I, with all my heart and soul...”
“BLACKMAN! WHITE! What are you two doing here?! This is a restricted area! Students aren't allowed up here!” Victor came marching up to find the two frozen, sitting,facing each other, looking in his direction, Belle's cheeks pink, and Leo's fingers upon her chin.
“Add suspicious activity to this list and you have two hours of detention ahead of you! White return to your class right now!”
“Make me,” he threatened, getting up and facing him.
“Would you like me to make sure you and your little friend are never able to talk to each other again?”
“The school can't do that,” Leo scoffed.
“You'd be surprised. Remember how Johnson and Briens were great friends then suddenly weren't. Yeah. School policy. Those who impose bad influences on another aren't allowed to be in relationships of any caliber, “ Victor stated looking at them with a judgmental smirk.
Realization hit Leo and he walked away saying, “See you after school Belle.”
“Yeah, okay,” she barely spoke. What in the world was going on?
“Blackman. Having some fun up here with your boy toy?”
“What?! He's not my boy toy! We're just friends!” Belle protested.
“Oh really, then it would be fine if I did this,” Victor sneered.
“Do what?” she asked confused. Victor walked toward her and aggressively pushed her into a wall. He brought his face menacingly close from her's, “You have no idea, how much you piss me off Blackman. So I need to get some compensation for all the trouble you make for me.”
“Get away from me! What are you talking about!” Belle shouted and began to hit his shoulders but it was no use. Although Leo was stronger then him, Belle was still no match, he was one year her senior and bigger than her. He grabbed her arms and pinned them up against the rough concrete wall. She winced in pain.
“Don't resist, this should be fun,”
“Hey! What are you talking about get off of me! Stop! Victor stop this!” He brought his face close to hers and snickered, tightly gripping her wrists. From the stairwell inside the building, Leo heard her screams.
“Belle...!” he mumbled to himself, bolting up the stairs. He pushed open the door to find Victor pushing Belle up against the wall, pinning her arms above her head as she cried in protest. Her expression got him the most, she was on the verge of fear.
“Hey, asshole! Let go of her!” he said charging him, and punching him square in the face. Victor fell to the ground, Leo grabbed Belle from the wall and she hid behind him, grasping onto his shirt.
Leo growled trying to contain his anger, “If you ever lay a hand on her again, I swear to all that is good that I will beat you till you can't ever think of doing it again. And from now on you better stay the hell away from her. Besides you can't report anything about us now can you? Because now we have something against you, sexual harassment.” Victor got up from the ground, blood coming from his nose, anger piercing his expression. He said nothing and charged down from the roof. Leo felt Belle slip to the ground. She held her head in her hands and he noticed the scrapes on her wrists from the concrete.
“I...I...almost felt....it....” she stuttered, “I...i feel it!” she wailed. Suddenly her claws pierced her fingertips and dug into her skull. She gasped and pulled her hands away, looking at them terrified. “N-no...!” Leo gathered her up. “Leo, Leo, this is bad, this is bad!”
“Shh, shh, I'm here, no one's going to get you, I'm here now,” he soothed caressing her head.
She cried into his shirt, holding her hands to her chest, trying to hide her life on the line. Leo held her until she stopped crying. He hugged her tight and looked down into her face after some time had passed.
“All better?” She nodded sniffling. “Okay, let's go home.”
“Leo.”
“Hmm?”
“Will you stay? Please?”
“Of course,” he whispered, hugging her tighter. They lay together in Belle's bed, like they did as children when they had sleepovers, except this time Leo is embracing Belle.
“I'm sorry.”
“For what?”
“Causing you so much trouble all the time,” she mumbled ashamed, her cat ears plastered on top of her head.
“Hey, it's not your fault, you don't wish any of it on yourself, and I don't mind, I want to...”
“Want to what?”
“I want to protect you, always and forever.”
“Leo...” she mumbled hugging him tighter.
“It's the truth, and I promise to do so.”
There was a moment of silence when Belle didn't know how to respond.
“Hey, lets watch the sunset on the roof, it will make you feel better.”
“Yeah,” her cat ears perked up and a smile broke on her face.
“You better brighten up before we go outside, you can't pass those off as fake,” he laughed scratching at her ears.
“Leo, don't make me purr, it's embarrassing!” Belle protested closing one eye.
“Lighten up then,” he teased, still scratching them. She could no longer resist her nature. She nuzzled at Leo's neck and a too-real purr sounded in her throat.
“Ah dammit Leo!” she said covering her face and turning around.
“Haha okay I'm sorry, how about we both go get cleaned up and meet back on the roof deal?”
“Deal,” she mumbled through her fingers.
In the shower, letting the water pour over her head, Belle sighed, trying to relax and unwind after the day's events. Her head wound felt better under the hot water as she recollected everything. She stared at her now human hands, devoid of claws. She could remember the pressure on her wrists upon the rough concrete wall on the roof. But most of all, she could remember the feeling of Leo holding her as she cried, terrified for her life. A bittersweet smile broke across her face. Leo was the greatest best friend ever, she concluded by the end of the shower, a black cat tail swaying behind her.
Climbing up the backside of the roof, Belle saw Leo sitting there, a blanket wrapped around him. It was almost sunset.
“Took you long enough, jeez your such a girl,” Leo teased looking over his shoulder with a smirk.
“I bet you didn't even shower, jeez your such a guy,” Belle teased back. They both laughed and Leo opened the left side of his blanket as an invitation. Belle squeezed in next to him and he wrapped the blanket tight around her.
“Coming up here with wet hair, you'll catch a cold!” he scolded covering her head. They sat there in silence looking out into the horizon, awaiting the sky's change of color.
“I need to finish that conversation we had earlier,” Leo said breaking the silence.
“Okay,” she said looking at his profile turned towards the now setting sun.
Keeping his eyes locked on the horizon he said, “You blacked out when I said this before but I'll say it again,” he paused, looked down, then looked back up into the sunset, his eyes smiling, “I love you Belle.”
She sat there stunned, knowing exactly what he meant. So many words were filling her mouth but none came out. Leo looked over at her and laughed softly to himself, “Well, I know it's a lot to take in so, let me know when you know how you feel.”
Belle nods stiffly under the blanket. Her mind was whirling. How long has he felt this way? What should she do? This is unbelievable, she thought. Belle sat there trying to sort her thoughts and feelings.
Just before the sun sets, the horizon a soft mix of orange and pink, Belle gets up and sits in front of Leo, her face gravely serious. Seeing this, Leo prepares himself for defeat.
Belle looks down into her lap then regains her serious gaze on him and says, “I Know how I feel now. Leo...” she trails off.
“It's okay Belle, it was a bad time, I just wanted to...” she cuts him off.
“Leo. I want you to be my first kiss,” she pauses, “kiss me.”
“Belle..!” he says shocked. Leo takes her chin in his hand and as she blushes and her heart throbs, he closes the distance between their lips and their hearts. He kisses her tenderly for what seems like forever to her, then he parts after a couple moments. Leo looks at Belle to find her cheeks rosy, eyes hazy and her cat tail curling slowly behind her. He smiles and kisses her again, this time sweetly enveloping her top and bottom lip in his kiss, over and over again.
“Leo...” she breaths.
“Hmm?”
“I'm nervous...” she looks down, “I don't...know much.”
He smiles and takes her into his lap, “I'll tutor you in that as well.”
She smiles up at him, her heart still pounding, “Okay.”
The next morning, walking to school together, Leo and Belle are holding hands.
“Leo...this is embarrassing!” she whispers harshly to him.
“Your hands were getting cold,” he says acting innocent.
“That's a lame excuse!”
“I thought you would be okay with this kind of thing after last night,” he said looking down at her.
She looked away as she blushed, thinking of last night, “Not...exactly...” she mumbles.
Leo lets her hand go, “Fine.”
Belle can tell he's angry, “Leo, I'm sorry, okay? Leo. Leo! Leo?” he began to walk ahead of her not saying a word. “Dammit” she mumbled under her breath, “You idiot Belle!”
That whole day at school Belle could not concentrate on her classes. She kept thinking of Leo. Sometimes her first kiss with him, others their fight this morning. She hated herself for making him angry and hurt. She did accept his feelings last night, then shut him down this morning. It's just that she is uncomfortable with all that stuff. But, if Leo wanted to do it, she'll do it. It's not like she doesn't like that stuff, it's just really embarrassing! Belle argued with herself all day in her head and she had plenty of time to do it, seeing as Victor left her alone now and Leo was avoiding her. By lunch time, Belle had come up with a plan. She would get Leo to talk to her again.
During break she approached Leo. He was talking with his buddies.
“Leo, can I talk with you for a minute?”
He looked at his friends in farewell and reluctantly came with her, in silence. She lead him by the hand through the halls for a while and finally he spoke up, “Where are we going?”
“You'll see.”
Suddenly Belle hooked right and slammed a door behind her. Feeling around for the string, she lit up the janitors closet.
“Leo. I'm really sorry for this morning, I want to...” she looked away from his piercing gray eyes, “make up for it. I want us to be together!” Leo stood there with his arms crossed, and cool expression on his face. Plan B, Belle thought. She came close to him and pressed him up against the wall. Taking his face in her hands she kissed him as best she could, trying not to mess up. She parted and looked at him. He was smiling. She smiled back thinking she had won. Suddenly, he burst out laughing, buckling at the waist and holding onto his knees. Her smile dropped, “Leo! Don't laugh at me!”
“I'm...I'm sorry its just that...haha, your too cute, I really need to tutor you, hahaha,” he said fighting his laughter.
She stared at him in disbelief. Her plan failed, she was getting laughed at. Crossing her arms she looked away.
“Hey, let me show you how your really supposed to do it.” He crossed the small distance between them and stood over Belle. She refused to look at him. “Belleee, look over hereeee,” he teased. Grudgingly she looked over at him. Her pupils were slightly turning into vertical slits. As soon as her head faced him, he took it in his hands and kissed her passionately then he murmured in her ear, “I'm sorry for this morning as well. I want us to be together.”
That night Belle tossed and turned in bed, half asleep, half awake, and dreaming a dream.
“I order you to become her lover. Your the most fit. It's an order from your father none the less,” a cold voice ordered Shay. He was sitting in a room of a hotel, listening to this man explain his fathers chosen path for him. In the next room was Belle, locked and alone inside room number twelve fifteen. She could over hear their conversation and protested out loud.
“No! Let him do what he wants to do. Besides I would feel bad if there weren't any feelings to it.”
Shay's face stayed blank as he nodded his head slowly. He exited that room and entered hers, his face the same.
“Shay, you don't have to do this.” Suddenly her hands were tied with a pink ribbon to the bed posts. She looked at them and began to panic, struggling against them. They wouldn't break nor budge. Shay came over and stood by the bedside, staring at her emotionless.
“Shay?” she asked perplexed at his lack of expression.
Half awake in the real world, Belle rolled over in her half asleep daze, onto the figure laying next to her in bed. She mumbled softly in her sleep and the figure wrapped his arms around her. Her brow crinkled, being aware of the sensation while still dreaming. Finally the sound of a heartbeat broke her out of her dream and into reality. She lay on top of a figure. In a daze she lifts her head and peers at the strangers face, not aware of the actuality of the situation. “Wh-who are...?”
“Lady Belle, go back to sleep, I'm here now,” a familiar voice sounds.
“O-okay....” she trailed off quietly. Suddenly her brain clicked and warning signs shot about in her mind. She struggled against the figure and tried to break free but he held her there.
“Please, don't panic, it's only me!” the voice urged. She froze recognizing the voice.
“Jason?!”
“Hellooo Belle,” he cooed.
“What are you doing here? How did you get in? What the hell?!”
“I was too lonely and I wanted to see you, you didn't lock your windows tonight, I thought we could get closer.”
“Jason this is...too rash! Let go of me,” she protested. He flipped over, lying on top of her.
“But why should I? We can have a lot of fun, I just wanna be your lover Belle,” he whispered, his normally cheery voice gone cold.
“Snap out of it! Don't...!” she was cut off by his lips that crushed themselves against her's. Hands traveled about her body and she squeezed her eyes shut. What the hell is he doing?! We're family this is disgusting! A tongue forced itself insider her mouth and she did the only thing she could think of doing, she bit it. Jason jumped back and held his mouth, with a now bleeding tongue inside it.
Belle sprang back on the bed, her canines grown long and sharp. She hissed at Jason and crouched back against the head board. Her pupils fell into a vertical line, staring at him with pure malice. She had lost all sense of her human self, and was ready for battle. Hisses cut the darkness as Jason stood at the end of the bed bewildered. How can she awaken this part of herself? She's not of age yet, he thought. He started to slowly approach her with his hands in the air. She hissed in warning, but he continued to crawl across the expanse of the bed. She round house kicked him in the head, knocking him out cold, his body falling to the floor causing a large crash.
Leo woke with a start at the noise. He heard a faint hiss from next door and sprang out of bed. Rushing out his door and down the yard he panicked in his head. What happened to her? Whats going on? Is she alright? Seeing white curtains flap out of her window in the night breeze, Leo bounded towards them. Jumping through the window he found Belle crouching over a blonde boy, laying unconscious on her floor. She growled close to his face and snapped her head toward Leo once he landed. She hissed at Leo and crouched over her prey.
“Belle?” Her eyes gave no reaction to his voice. “Belle, its me, Leo, calm down, your okay,” he soothed. The girl before him simply glared. He took a step forward and the cat jumped on top of the stranger, pinning him to the ground.
“It's me! Leo!” he protested, struggling, but suddenly Belle was much stronger then usual. Her force held him down tight. Finally he broke free from her grasp and embraced the angry cat. He hugged her tight, sitting up. On her knees, Belle's form grew slack. Her body loosened and fell forward onto Leo. He sighed, relived and held onto her lifeless form.
“What have I done?” she asked horrified, clutching onto her safety.
The next day after school Belle walked silently hand in hand with Leo. With her free hand she held down the tassels of her hat, covering up her visible guilt. She felt ashamed of herself, and tried not to think of how fearful it was to loose all consciousness and attack people. Her mother told her that Jason was taken to the main house shortly afterword, while Leo took Belle away to calm her down. Although what he did was wrong, Belle doesn't want him to get in trouble for it because she did the most wrong in her mind. At her door Leo didn't let go of her hand. She looked up at him sort of exasperated.
“Bellie, it's okay, what you did was...”
“Horrible and evil, I'm just a monster Leo, don't you understand?” she interrupted.
“I understand that you are a being different from me, that people who are scared of people who are different call you bad things like “monsters” and that I love you,” he said taking her face in his hands. She looked down feeling horrible.
“But, I even attacked you,” she mumbled.
“In a way I kinda liked it,”he said with a devious smirk.
“Pervert,” she accused. Leo laughed and hugged Belle tight. “Whatever happens I'll be here,”
“Okay,” she said enjoying his sweet side.
“By the way, I'm tutoring you tonight.”
“But I don't have any math homework,” she said confused.
“This is extra curricular activities,” he winked.
“Pervert!” She said before slamming the door in his smug face.
Pacing up and down her room, listening to music, Belle tried to erase her guilt. She knocked her family member out cold onto her floor, attacked Leo, and now that she thought about it, she even deceived Leo in not telling him that another guy kissed her. Belle flopped down on her bed. Should she tell him? Suddenly a smell brought her out of her worries. She expectantly looked at the door from her bed, the smell getting stronger. Leo burst in, holding some cookies and despite the intrusion, Belle was happy.
“Yay cookies!”
“Yay me!” Leo said.
“Actually, you can just leave the cookies and go,” she said casually.
“Oh very funny,” he said, “your gonna make your boyfriend cry!”
“Have a cookie cry baby.”
“Oh a pet name,” he said taking a cookie as well.
After they had their fill of sweets Leo lay on Belle's bed as she changed the song on her laptop. Suddenly he sat up, legs straight out, “Come here.”
“Huh?”
“I said come here silly,” he smiled. Belle came over with a questioning look and sat next to him.
“Like this,” he instructed as he picked her up and set her in his lap facing him, “Now begins your first lesson. Be a good student and do as I say.” Belle sat there her cheeks pink, and nodded, too embarrassed to protest. Though she sat on top of him, Leo's long torso still made him a head taller. He leaned in close, his breath whispering on her warm cheeks and murmured, “Now pay close attention.” He kissed her like he did the first time, sweet and soft. His lips melted with hers and at first she was nervous and tense, but soon she fell into the motions and relaxed. All to soon Leo pulled away, smiling as he saw her cat tail curling contently behind her.
“I've made you happy now haven't I? But that's not even the half of it.”
“Half?”
“Time to use this,” he said sticking his tongue out and pointing at it.
“But, I never....I don't know...” she protested trying to find the words to say she'll fail.
“That's what I'm here for, I won't judge.”
“Now I'm thinking you will judge me.”
“I promise, I won't.” Belle looked down in defeat, how could she resist? She wanted to.
Her cheeks rosy Belle kissed Leo back like they had just done. Then, his tongue grazed her lower lip, and without thinking much but about how the movies would do it, she opened her mouth. Suddenly his tongue was inside her mouth going everywhere and she had no idea what to do, she panicked. He parted and came to her shoulder, “You have to just follow me, and keep your tongue soft.”
“Must you say such things in my ear?” Belle said her cheeks burning. He laughed softly and began kissing her again. This time she did as he told.
The next day walking out of her house Belle finds herself without Leo's usual morning greeting. He wasn't standing outside her door, like always. Thinking he was late she headed over to his house. She knocked on the door.
“Oh...Belle...good morning...” his mother answered the door in a sleepy fashion.
“Morning Mrs. White, where's Leo?”
“Ah, yes...he's not feeling well so he's going to be absent today.”
“Oh. Can I see him?”
“He's sleeping, sorry.” she sincerely apologized.
“Of course, I'll come after school! Bye Mrs. White, tell him I said to get better.”
“Ah...! Yes, of course,” she waved goodbye in the doorway then said to herself, “but you won't be able to see him.”
Belle arrived early at school and fiddled around at her locker, not sure what to do with herself. She tugged at her plaid uniform skirt and tapped her feet. Wondering how Leo was doing, she stared off in space. Suddenly a girl bumped into her.
“Opps! Sorry, sorry, my fault!” a cheerful voice greeted. Belle turned around to see the perpetrator. A girl with short blonde hair and light blue eyes smiled apologetically to her, holding her books.
“Ah, it's fine,” Belle said. The girl seemed nice enough, but Belle has learned through the years that girls tend to not like her. It's like they can sense she is different, or they find her an enemy because her best friend is Leo.
“I'm Mimi! It's nice to meet you,” she sang, still standing beside Belle.
“Oh, I'm Belle, nice to meet you too,” she said, surprised.
“Your in my grade right?” she asked a big smile on her face.
“Ah yeah, eleventh.”
“Great! I've heard lots about you, and I'm curious to tell the truth,” she giggled.
“Oh, uhm...really?” Belle didn't know if that was a good thing or a bad thing.
“Yeah! So, want to sit with me during lunch? I know a great place! I'll meet you at your locker!”
The first bell rang and Mimi ran off before Belle could say a thing. She's never been close with a girl before and it felt weird. She thought she'd give it a try, the girl seemed awfully friendly.
Stuffing her books back in her locker as the lunch bell rang Belle thought about Leo again, concerned for his well being.
“Hi Belle! Ready for lunch?” Mimi sang coming to her side.
“Ah, hi, yeah, ready,” Belle stumbled out, over thinking.
“Follow me then,” she laughed.
Mimi lead her out into the courtyard. She picked a tree to sit under, it's leaves a sweet apple red.
“Isn't it pretty,” she asked looking up from its base,” It's my favorite tree in the whole school!”
“It's very beautiful,” she murmured, awed at the color.
“I like to come here and daydream, it makes even my darkest days a little bit brighter,” she confessed, her tone now placid. Belle looked over at Mimi who was sitting at the base of the tree next to her, looking up into the branches, streaks of light crossing her face. She was a really pretty girl and Belle unconsciously smiled. Sensing her stare, Mimi looked at Belle.
“Your smiling! Wow, your smile is great!” she beamed.
Embarrassed she laughed, “Ah really? Thanks.”
“I have a feeling we'll be great friends Belle, I just feel it!”
Belle smiled sincerely to her, “Me too.”
Walking home Belle was in a cheerful mood. She'd just made her first girl friend! She could talk to her about things, girly things! Suddenly she remembered Leo. Stopping at his doorstep she rang the bell. Mrs. White greeted her again.
“Ah Belle,”
“Hello Mrs. White!” His mother could tell she was in a good mood. She felt bad and looked down.
“Ah, Belle, Leo's really sick and you can't see him, at least not until he's better, I'm very sorry.” Her smile dropped.
“Ah...w-well, is he getting better?”
“Not exactly,” she trailed off.
“Well, tell him I....I wish him the best,” she said, wanting to say something entirely different.
“Will do.”
“Dammit, Leo, get better, I miss you,” Belle mumbled to herself three days later.
“What did ya say?” Mimi asked.
“Ah, well, Leo, my erm....”
“Boyfriend,” Mimi finished.
“Ah! How did you know?” she asked astonished.
“Hehe, well, it's obvious, he's all you think or talk about,”
“I'm sorry! I must be annoying, I'll shut up about him.”
“No, no please, I love it. Young love is such a wonderful thing! Hehe, I want to help you two.”
“R-really?”
“Yeah! You can tell me anything!”
“Okay!” Belle beamed and laughed. Mimi hugged Belle with one arm, smiling along with her.
“Ah, by the way, this weekend I'm going to see a band, wanna come with?” Mimi eagerly asked.
Belle thought Leo might be better by this weekend, but shook her head to clear her thoughts, “I'd love to!”
“Great! I'll meet you there, it's at the G-Shack at seven this Friday!”
“I'll be there! I already can't wait haha!”
“Same! There may be cute boys there too,” Mimi giggled.
“Yeah.”
“Oh don't worry I don't expect you to scope them out with me, but would you help?”
“Sure! Haha, no guarantee's I'm any good though!” Both girls laughed and got up, hearing the bell toll.
By the end of the week, the two girls were inseparable. They clicked immediately and acted like long lost sisters, trusting each other completely, and always showing their closeness.
“It's tonight! What are you going to wear?”
“I was thinking a skirt and t-shirt, what about you?”
“I wanted to wear a dress super bad,” Mimi giggled.
“It'll help attract the boys,” Belle exclaimed laughing.
“Exactly! Lets try to get there early so we can have good seats!”
“Deal, see you tonight.”
“Bye-bye!” Mimi waved walking to her car in the school parking lot.
That night as Belle got dressed she noticed her tail flicking behind her.
“Ah! No! I have to control myself tonight, don't get too emotional.” She sternly looked at her reflection, “Don't get too emotional.”
An hour later, standing outside the G-Shack, Belle waited. She wore a white skirt, black sneakers, and a Beatles t-shirt. Mimi approached with a baby blue floral dress, beaming. She ran up and hugged Belle, “You look great!”
“You do too, haha you'll get a boy in no time,” Belle returned. The girls walked into the G-Shack, excited and happy. The place was a bit packed and the two friends pushed through the crowd to get to the stage. The band was setting up. Mimi gazed at them starstruck and whispered to Belle, “Lead singer....lead singer....”
“Haha, with that dress, why not?” Mimi beamed.
Across the room four men conversed, watching the two girls.
“She's the brunette right?”
“Yeah.”
“What about that friend of hers?”
“She's a witness, we'll have to take her in too.”
“Haha, more fun for me then.”
“Your sick, haha!”
“Anyways, we'll have to get them when they get alone or something. It's too dangerous in such a large crowd.”
“Agreed.”
The men chortled menacingly to each other.
The band played many up beat rock songs all night long. The two girls energetically danced and laughed, enjoying themselves thoroughly. They sang along with the band. After a while they announced they would take a short five minute break.
“Phew! I need to get some air,” Belle exclaimed.
“Yeah, me too,” Mimi returned. They pushed through the crowd hand in hand and burst through the back door.
“It's stuffy in there!”
“Sure is,” Belle said wiping her brow. She was overheated but happy.
“I think that lead singer made eyes at me during that love song!” Mimi gushed looking into the night sky.
“Haha, really? It could've been the influence of the song,” Belle snorted.
“Either way I liked it,” she laughed. Belle laughed and looked up into the sky as well. Inhaling deeply she closed her eyes. Suddenly a smell caught her attention. Throwing her eyes open she looked around for the source. What is that chemical smell, she thought. Flipping her gaze she looked just in time to see a man covering Mimi's face with a cloth. Her body fell to the ground, dirtying her dress. Belle was just about to cry out when a cloth covered her mouth as well. Gasping, she inhaled the chemical, which knocked her completely unconscious.
Belle awoke without opening her eyes. Mentally checking around her body like she did when she had her fever, she became aware. Her hands were tied behind her back and she was lying on her side on some hard thing, maybe an old mattress. Thinking back she wondered, what am I doing here? Why am I tied up? Then it all came back to her. The cloths! Someone knocked out her and Mimi with cloths soaked in a noxious chemical. They must have been kidnapped. She panicked, thinking what she could do now. Suddenly, a creek to her right alerted her to the present. She opened her eyes a tiny bit to see she was in a room made of concrete and no windows. A single light bulb hung from the ceiling and beside her mattress was a similar mattress where Mimi lay, unconscious, a man crawling over her. Anger shot through her veins, how dare they touch her, she thought viciously.
The man knelt over the sleeping blonde with a smirk on his face. “Oh how sweet my night is going to be,” he whispered to himself. He reached over to unbutton the front of her dress when a hand caught his shoulder.
“Get. Off. Of. Her.” a venomous voice spat. Frightened the man looked towards the hand to find a girl with a menacing glare and cat eyes. “Shit!” he thought, “the black cat got free!”
The girl grasped the light bulb hanging before her, “Can you see in the dark?” she asked. She leered towards him and smashed the bulb with her bare hands, “'Cause I can.” A blow hit his face and he fell off of the mattress and onto the cold concrete floor. The bang alerted the three above, and they flew from the card table and towards the basement.
Turning on the light switch to the basement, the men were stupefied when nothing happened. The one closest to the bottom of the stairs grabbed a flashlight and flicked it on. Slowly scanning the basement with its light they looked around. Suddenly, the beam revealed a girl crouching over their unconscious comrade.
“Oh shit, Johnson!” a man screamed. Belle flicked her gaze towards the three men on the stairs. She got up and stood defensively before Mimi. Somehow she hasn't completely lost her human half, though she feels her canines jutting out.
“Have a nice cat nap?” a man sneered.
“Yes, and now I'm quite refreshed, thanks,” she sarcastically returned. The man holding the flashlight couldn't control his anger anymore. He launched himself at the girl and pinned her to the ground. The flashlight rolled off into a corner, shutting out the light. She hissed and kicked him hard. He fell to the floor and she got up just in time for the other man to grab her from behind. Head-butting him she turned on one foot to round house kick the last man as he came down the stairs. Seeing them all unconscious she knelt by Mimi.
“Mimi? Mimi? Wake up, come on!” She tried shaking her awake but to no avail. One man got up from the floor and taking a metal pipe he approached the distracted cat. Hearing the scraping of metal she turned around just in time to get hit by the lead pipe, square in her abdomen. Belle flew backward from the force, all the wind pushed out of her lungs. Sputtering and coughing on the floor she grimaced.
“Fine, if you want to play that way. I was willing to let you off easy,” she hissed. Launching herself from the floor she attacked each of her abductors, but not with fists and feet. No, this time she used her sharp teeth.
Belle wiped the blood off her mouth with her one free hand as she hiked Mimi up, who rested on her back. Walking out of that unfamiliar house, she recognized the neighborhood and took a shortcut through the woods to get back to Mimi's house. Setting her unconscious form up against her entrance, she knocked on the door loudly then hid in the bushes. If anyone saw her face now, they'd have many questions. Dirt smeared across her face where scratches weren't. Her gaze was serious and intense, pupils still erected vertically. The front door opened, flooding the yard with artificial light. Her mother looked around until her eyes fell on Mimi. She gasped and called for her husband, who helped her drag their daughter inside. Belle sighed and walked on, next home, where she'd have to explain everything.
As she walked a pain poked at her stomach. It was faint at first, so she still trudged on. Stumbling through her front door, her parents rushed to her side.
“Belle! What happened?”
“Mimi and I, we were abducted at the G shack,” she frankly admitted.
“Oh my god! How? Did you see their faces?” her mother asked applauded.
“I...it's all blurry, um...” she trailed off growing weaker.
“Oh my baby, you look so pale,” she exclaimed supporting her daughter. Belle was about to respond when a frantic knocking on the door interrupted them. Her father rushed over to open the door. Mrs. White stood there, concern painted into every feature of her face.
“Is Leo here?”
“What? No, he isn't,” her father responded.
“Oh no! He suddenly left, saying he had something to do and I can't reach him anywhere!”
Belle's mother ushered her in, “We'll help you find him. Belle do you know anything?”
Resting up against the wall her mind suddenly became clear, “Yeah, I do. I'm going, I have my cell phone on me.” She rushed out the door and ran straight back to the G Shack, being lead solely on her instincts.
People stared at the disheveled girl as she pushed her way through the late night crowd back at the shack. She broke her way through until she found a clear spot. Turning round and round, she panicked. Where is he? How can she find him? A voice in her head told her to smell for him. That's right! She has higher senses than humans! She closed her eyes and sniffed the air. Smoke, alcohol, cheap perfume, sweat, no. She turned on the spot and smelled again. All the same scents came to her then a new one appeared. Leo. No doubt about it it was him. She opened her eyes and followed the scent like a dog. Before her a group of men seemed to be surrounding someone. They smelled of damp concrete and blood. Her captors. She could over hear some of their conversation.
“Where's your little friend?”
“What are you talking about?”
“Don't play stupid kid, we know you know.”
“I don't,” he said sternly.
“Keep playing stupid and we'll use force to make you spit it out.” Suddenly Belle stepped between Leo and the men.
“Now you know. What do you want? I thought I made it pretty clear to leave me alone.”
Leo's eye's widened as he looked at his love. Her hair was messy, her face dirty and scratched. Bruises on her arms and legs stood out against her fair skin. Her tone of voice surprised him the most. It was cold, and pissed off. She turned her head and he could see her eyes showed her emotions.
“There you are. We're not finished with you until we get what you want.”
“What might that be?” she sneered.
“What else. Your claws.” Leo's heart started to pound but Belle just laughed.
“Like hell. Good luck trying, I won't leave you breathing this time.” This time? What does she mean?
“Be a nice kitty and...” The man got interrupted. Belle suddenly gave off an evil aura and she leered at them.
“Get the hell away from Leo and I, or else I won't play nice.” Venom pierced her every word and Leo heard a clinking noise. Her fangs protruded from her mouth. The men all grew very afraid, they finally understood they weren't dealing with a high school girl.
“What....what the fuck!” a man exclaimed, sweat dampening his brow. All four of the men walked hurriedly out of the shack, tails between their legs.
Belle turned around to Leo.
“Belle? My god what happened to you?” Her cruel face changed. Erased of fang and supernatural eyes, she sighed and hugged Leo.
“It's a long story. I'm glad your alright.”
“Lets go home and get you cleaned up,” he said hugging her back.
“Yeah,” she meekly agreed and broke away from him, walking towards the back door. A pain burst through her abdomen and she fell to the floor. Hands grabbed at her as she bled internally and everything went black.
“Is she going to be alright?”
“Yes yes, the twins will heal her,” a calm voice stated.
“Right...”
“Ah here they are now, lets go.”
“I'm not leaving her side.”
“Well... I suppose.” Footsteps sounded and a door slid shut. Two pairs of feet tapped across the room towards her and a warm light washed itself through her body. The pain that was so present in her stomach slowly faded away, replaced by the warm light. Slowly she opened her eyes. A bright light met them, and she squinted and covered her eyes with her arm.
“Belle? Your awake?” Leo came to her bed side.
“L-Leo?”
“Yeah, it's me. How do you feel?”
“Warm,” she trailed off looking into the light. She tried to sit up to get a better look but Leo pressed her down.
“You shouldn't move while they do this.”
“They?”
“Anna and Hanna.”
“Oh..! I'm at the main house. Wait. Your at the main house.”
“Y-yeah I sorta demanded that I come,” he stuttered, “Do you remember anything from last night?”
“I do. I suppose I have to tell everyone.”
“Yeah, but I'll be there so, don't worry.”
“Okay,” she said with a faint smile. Leo smiled back and grabbed her hand as the twins concentrated on the healing light, that flooded the legendary animals body, healing all wounds like magic.
Suddenly, Hanna spoke up, “You should leave now.”
“Me?” Leo questioned.
“Yes,” Anna returned.
“Why?”
“We have to heal her whole body,” Hanna started.
“Which means taking off her clothes,” Anna finished.
“Right,” Leo looked down. Belle was so out of it she didn't catch the conversation. He squeezed her hand and walked out of the room. The twins giggled at each other, because Leo's calm expression changed when they said that and his cheeks got a little pink.
Hand in hand with the twins, Belle walked out of her room, fully healed and dressed. She got new clothes because her ones from last night were dirty, torn and bloody. Her whole family was sitting in a large circle, quietly. The serious atmosphere felt so different from the last time she was here, Belle was a bit taken aback. Anna and Hanna lead her to a couch at the top of the circle of loved ones. Leo sat next to her and the twins sat giddily in her lap, playing with her hair. No one spoke so she decided to speak first.
“So, I suppose you all would like to know the events of last night.” Leo was surprised at her sudden formalities. They all nodded in agreement. “Well, I was out last night with my friend Mimi. We went to see a band at the G-Shack and at one point we went outside, through the back door. Men approached us with cloths soaked in a noxious chemical that they pressed to our faces, knocking us out. I woke up in a windowless basement, on a mattress, with my hands tied behind my back. A man was,” Belle paused and looked down, the memory too fresh,” over Mimi and I stopped him. I, well...” she trailed off. She looked to Hanna and Anna and they nodded to her in encouragement. “I awoke my cat spirit half but still kept consciousness. I attacked all four of my captors. I suppose when I was hit with a lead pipe, it caused serious injury to me. I carried Mimi home, and went to my own house. Then, “ she looked at Leo. He was looking in his lap, his face fighting off anger. “Leo's mother came looking for him and I was lead by my instincts back to the G-Shack. My captors had him surrounded. I found out then they were after my claws. Thankfully I scared them off, then I fainted.”
Her uncle Hugh finally spoke up, “Do you remember their faces, or names?”
“The one who was over Mimi was called Johnson. Their faces...are blurry.”
“We can help retrieve your memory and track down these people,” he assured.
“Good.”
“Leo we will do the same for your memory, since you saw them as well.”
“Okay.”
Hugh looked seriously around the circle. “We all knew this would happen, but I know it still comes as a shock. Please, always stay calm and make yourself available for any help our head needs.” They all murmured agreements. Belle smiled formally, holding onto the girls who now snuggled sleepily in her lap. “A meeting of the six disciples will be held later tonight, you'll all be notified. Everyone's dismissed.” The twin's mother took her sleeping daughters away and Belle was about to go to Leo through the crowd when a hand caught her arm and pulled her aside.
“Ms. Belle, please excuse my behavior, but please follow me,” Shea calmly said.
“Uh, sure,” Belle hesitated looking back through the crowd for Leo, who was no where to be found.
“Shea? Where are we going?” Belle asked confused as Shea lead her silently by hand. He had walked outside of the main house and was now walking through the large backyard, weaving through koi fish ponds and cherry blossoms in the moonlight.
“Almost there,” he said without looking back.
“Almost where?” she asked getting frustrated. A large pond suddenly appeared before them, shaded by willow trees. Shea stopped but didn't let her hand go, instead he took both her hands and raised them up to his broad chest.
“Lady Belle, last time when you came, I didn't get to fully express my feelings.” She stayed silent, stunned. “Please, accept my feelings for you,” he whispered, leaning closer, holding onto her hands tightly. She started to pull away but he grasped her hands tighter. She winced in pain.
“Shea! Stop it! Let me go!”
“Tell me your feelings,” he demanded.
“Let me go Shea! Let me go,” she protested pulling with all her strength. He held on to her hand so tight she screamed, “Ow! Your hurting me stop it!”
“Tell me your feelings,” he repeated.
“I don't like you like that!” she screamed, wincing, looking down. His grasp loosened a bit and she whipped away.
“Give it time,” he said.
“No, you don't understand, I...”
“Please, let me love you Lady Belle,” he interrupted.
“No, I can't because I....”
“I've always been there for you.”
“Shea, listen to me...”
“I can make you happy. We're right for each other!”
“Stop interrupting me, listen, I have...”
“Don't make excuses!”
“I have a boyfriend!” He stopped in his tracks. “I like him...a lot, and I don't like anyone else. I'm sorry,” she walked away towards the main house. Long after her figure disappeared in the shade of the tree's, Shea stood there unable to move. Finally he slowly took his hands to his face. A flurry of wings whisked against the night air and he took off into the night.
“Belle there you are!” Leo said walking towards her as she entered the main house, a scowl painted on her face. Her expression changed to surprise once she saw him.
“Leo.”
“Where were you?” he asked, standing over her in the dark entrance hall.
“Outside,” she said looking away. The moonlight from the window lit her face. Leo leaned in close.
“You smell different,” he blatantly states, arms crossed.
“Really?” she said blushing, “Must be the clothes from here,” she lied. How could she tell him that she almost just got kissed by someone else. Shea's smell probably rubbed off on her.
He leaned in closer, examining her face. She turned her face away not able to look him in the eyes. “Belle.”
“Huh?”
“What are you hiding from me?”
Her eyes widened with shock and she looked at him, “N-nothing.”
He looked stern then suddenly burst out in laughter, “Your too cute, haha! I'm just kidding, come on, dinner is ready.” He took her hand and walked towards the dinning room. His face grew grim as he turned his face away from her. Belle sighed relieved, while Leo wondered what she really was hiding.
Walking down the long, lavish hallway after dinner, Leo tried to sort his thoughts. Suddenly a figure stepped out of a door and blocked his path. He looked up to see Jason. His turquoise eyes serious, arms crossed.
“We need to talk,” he said, his cheery tone gone.
“Sure,” Leo responded. Jason opened the door to his right and walked into a large study. Dimly lit with walls packed with books, the room smelled of leather and cigars dragged in thought. Closing the door behind him, Leo pondered, “So, what is it you wanted to talk about?”
“Your relationship with Belle.”
“What about it?”
“Just what is it?” Jason said narrowing his gaze.
Leo chuckled, “We're together. I thought your house already knew this. They've had me informed about most everything in the beginning.”
Jason stared at the tall boy who had such a calm face. Shocked he stuttered, “Y-you and Miss B-Belle? Y-you? A mere human!”
“Ouch. Just because I'm human I'm not fit for her?”
“Her love is...is precious. A weak human to accept the gift of love from her is...is preposterous! It's always been one of her own kind!”
“I know, but times change. Shouldn't we let her do what makes her happiest?”
“How should I know if she's happy with you?!” Jason said raising his voice in anger.
Leo smiled slyly, “Trust me, I've made her happy.”
“Oh you! See humans don't even understand. She is no play toy you despicable...!”
Leo cut him off coming menacingly close to Jason. He stood a whole head taller then the dog.
“You think I see her as a prize? As a toy? You think I don't care about her? You think I wouldn't give my life to save her? Your disgusting to even think anyone would take someone like Belle for granted. It's simply impossible. My feelings for her go farther then just gaining some...some power! I could care less about that! I truly love her and I will always be there for her! I know you have feelings for her, but I can guarantee mine are more significant than yours! Because I wouldn't force her to love me! I wouldn't take advantage of her! Stop falling over her like a sick puppy and be a man! Don't love her just to get the power! I don't care about gaining power!”
Walking down the hall Belle heard raised voices. She walked to the door and recognizing Leo's voice as she opened the door.
“I could care less about gaining power!” Leo snarled in Jason's face. Both boys were glaring at each other.
“Leo..?”
“Belle,” he said turning around.
“What are you doing?”
“Just discussing things, come on I'll walk you to your room,” he said coming to her side.
Jason stood there, arms crossed, looking down at the floor. Putting an arm around Belle's waist Leo lead her out of the study. She quickly glanced back at Jason before turning out into the hall.
“Hey Leo, stop pushing!” she protested.
“Oh, sorry,” he said slowing his walk. They walked down the hall in silence. Reaching her door, Belle turned around, hand on the knob.
“What were you talking about? Power?”
“It...was...something I'll tell you later, just guy talk,” he stuttered.
Belle silently stared up at him, “I don't like that answer.”
Leo smirked, “Then I'll give you a different one.” He kissed her passionately, combing his fingertips through her hair. Belle's expression grew faint and her cheeks pink. After a minute he pulled away.
“Sweet dreams,” he murmured then walked away. Hazy, she stood there for a moment then went into her room. Closing the door behind her, she leaned against it and put a hand to her lips, mesmerized. After a few moments her expression grew angry, “Dammit Leo!” Through he tricked her into giving up the subject, she didn't really mind it, and laughed softly to herself after thinking about it for a bit.
Smells of brewing coffee and baking pastries followed the twins up the staircase. They hopped upon the small patches of light all the way up then stopped at the landing to hush their giggles. Holding each others excitement in with hands, they walked down the hall towards the last door on the left. Quietly they opened the door, slipping through the small space they made. Tiptoeing, they split up at the end of the bed, signaling each other to stay silent. With a countdown from three the twins prepared themselves. Finally, they hopped upon the sleeping cat, releasing their giggles and bouncing on the bed.
“Wake up Lady Belle, wake up!”
“Wakey wakey, eggs and bakey!” sang Anna.
“Wheres the fire?” Belle yawned stretching.
“Come on, come on, breakfast is ready!” Hanna exclaimed.
“Okay, I'm coming, I'm coming,” she laughed slipping out of bed.
After breakfast Belle went outside, coaxed by Anna and Hanna to play. They lead her just outside the house to the garden patch. Kyou read a book near by, occasionally sneering at them. They picked bouquets of flowers, each girl declaring who their going to give theirs too.
“Mine's for Hanna!” exclaimed Anna.
“I made mine for Anna,” Hanna shyly admitted.
Belle kneel down and whispered with a smile, “Well I made mine for Leo.”
The two girls broke out in excited giggles, prancing around Belle singing.
“Leo and Belle sitting in a tree K-i-s-s-i-n-g ….”
“First comes love,” a deep voice added behind them. All three girls jumped and turned around to find Leo leaning against the house. The twins giggled and hid behind Belle.
“Ah, haha, hi,” she nervously greeted.
“Hi,” he said smirking.
Kyou scoffed loudly near by.
“Hey, shut up Kyou!” Anna defended.
“Anna, it's okay, he's just in a bad mood,” Hanna explained, picking more flowers.
“What are you doing Hanna?”
“Picking flowers,” she muttered.
“I'm going inside,” Anna declared. Kyou went back to his book scowling. After a few minutes a shadow blocked his reading light.
“Hey, what....” he stopped when he looked up to see Hanna, looking at him with her sincere brown eyes, her short blonde hair covering up her embarrassment.
“Here, they're for you,” she said, handing him the flowers.
His expression turned to shock and his cheeks flushed a deep red, matching his hair color as he takes the flowers. Hanna's cheeks burn red as well.
“Promise me you'll try to be nice to Miss Belle,” she asks.
“W-what?”
“I don't like it when your so mean to her,” she meekly explains.
“I'll do what I want to!” he exclaimed angry. Hanna looked down, then looked back up with tears pricking her eyes.
“Ah...fine, fine, I'll try to be nicer,” he says defeated. Hanna beams, kisses him on the cheek and runs off into the house, leaving the boy dumbfounded, holding a bouquet of flowers.
Meanwhile Belle and Leo have snuck off further out into the property. Sitting at the base of a cherry blossom tree, Leo thinks back to yesterday.
“About yesterday, what happened?” he asks after a couple moments of silence.
“What are you talking about?”
“When you disappeared outside.” Belle turned away, embarrassed.
“Please tell me Belle, I won't judge you,” he pleaded.
“I...well..” She mumbled something inaudible.
“What was that?”
“I denied Shea's feelings alright? He dragged me out here and tried to...tired to kiss me! I'm sorry,” she exploded with the truth.
Leo's expression snapped, “Did he kiss you?”
“No, I got away before that could happen,” she mumbled looking down.
“Good,” he mumbled, anger piercing his voice.
Belle finally looked at him, “But I told him that I only liked you!” With realization of what she just said her cheeks became pink. Leo's expression softened and he put his arm around her taking her chin in his hand.
“I like only you as well,” he whispered close to her face. He kissed her tenderly at first, then he became aggressive, shifting Belle onto his lap and hugging her close. She kissed him back, her mind gone blank. Each lover put effort into their kisses and caresses, hoping the other would interpret them correctly. Suddenly, Leo parted, smiling.
“My lessons have paid off.”
“Yeah,” Belle laughed, blushing.
“But,” he said suddenly stern.
“What?” she asked curious.
“You still need more lessons,” he grinned.
“No way!” she laughed.
“You better listen to your teacher or you'll get punished.”
“You wouldn't,” she said astonished.
“I would.” Belle gasped playfully and they both laughed, then began kissing again. Someone cleared their throat behind them. The two jumped apart and Belle got off of Leo's lap to see Jason behind them.
“Sorry to interrupt,” he said coolly.
“Uh, it's fine,” Belle awkwardly returned.
“I need to talk to you two,” Jason said, his arms crossed.
“About what?” Leo asked, getting up. Belle followed suit.
“I've...I've decided to acknowledge your relationship. So, Lady Belle, you don't need to worry about anymore of my advances. I apologize for everything negative that's happened before this.”
“O-okay,” Belle stumbled, surprised.
“Truce?” he asked holding out his pinky, his playful tone back.
“Truce,” she said with a smile, hooking her pinky onto his.
“Great! Now we can be close friends! Oh, I was supposed to tell you that it's time for your memories to be seen. Uncle Hugh's waiting for you in his study,” he informed Belle.
“Okay,” she said rushing off. The two boys watched as she went. Once her figure disappeared Jason turned on Leo.
“I may acknowledge your relationship, but...”
“Yeah, I know, others won't. Until I do the proper thing, there will be others pursuing her hand.”
“Exactly.”
“I don't want that,” Leo snarled, “But, I don't know if it's the right time, you know?”
“Yeah, well, I think that, it should happen before the first stage happens, it's always happened that way. It secures your position I suppose. You know, no interference if you properly declare it.”
“I'll think on it.”
“Think fast because their visits here never last more than a week,” Jason warned.
Leo ran his fingers through his hair in exasperation, “Yeah.”
Jason clapped him on the back, “Your damn lucky, lets go inside, your memories are next in line.”
“Okay,” he said starting off.
The two boys walked toward the main house, shuffling through the fallen leaves. A breeze blew through the cherry blossoms and the property was silent. Then, a figure flew down from the sky with large, soft brown wings. He landed right where the lovers had been. His expression was crinkled in anger. Folding his wings he said to himself, “I'll get there before you.” His wings completely gone, he walked coolly towards the main house.
Eye's fluttering open Belle saw her uncles face, smiling placidly.
“It's all done. Good job,” he assured.
“You did all the work,” she laughed getting up.
“Lady Belle, you shouldn't....” Uncle Hugh started. Belle's vision became unclear and her body tipped sideways. Her eyes rolled up to see the ceiling as she fell. A pair of strong arms caught her.
“Be careful Ms. Belle,” a calm voice warned. Before she could see the face of the man with the strong arms, her eyelids became to heavy to bear and she fainted silently in his arms. Shea picked up her form, holding her body in the air, close to his chest.
“I should've warned her earlier to stay seated. Memory clarifications always make one dizzy,” Uncle Hugh said, shaking his head.
“I”ll take her to her room,” Shea offered.
“Good idea, let her rest.” A knock came on the door and Leo walked in.
“Hey, I'm here for my memories to....” he stopped mid-sentence to see Belle, head slack, eye's closed, in Shea's arms. He started to approach but Shea's stare caught Leo. The two with calm expressions, observed each other, acknowledging the others existence, finding the significance. Holding his gaze, Shea walked past and stopped at the door.
“I'll be taking her to her room now,” Shea said talking over Leo to Hugh.
“Fine, fine,” he ushered towards the door. Shea's lips curved slightly into a victorious smile as he turned with the fainted maiden in his arms, and walked out the door.
Leo tried his best to keep his expression neutral. He could see the intention leaking out of his smirk. Yet, with no way to prove it, all he had to do was get this done and over with quick, and run to Belle's side as soon as possible.
“Please, sit,” Uncle Hugh ushered to a reclined chair.
“Okay,” Leo returned distracted.
Analyzing Leo's face Uncle Hugh smiled, “Don't worry, Belle is in good hands. But to make you feel better, I”ll make this go quick,” he winked.
“Thanks,” Leo half smiled. His mind was concentrated on his love. Lying down in the chair, Leo closed his eyes as instructed. Uncle Hugh moved his right hand over to Leo's forehead, hovering it above his crinkled brow. Slowly shutting his eyes, he divulged into his memory. Finally, Leo's mind quieted and he fell into a black lake.
Running out the door, Leo slammed against the railing, his equilibrium lost. Weaving down the hall, he headed towards the last room on the left. Supporting himself with the wall he quickened his pace and soon reached his destination. Bursting open the door, his blurry vision suddenly focused. The room was darkened, shades drawn, but a sliver of light illuminated the bed. There lay Belle unconscious, her clothes strew about her body, exposing too much skin. Above her, hovered Shea, lustfully looking at her. His head shot towards the door when Leo burst in, and within seconds Leo charged at the man. As he fought off vertigo, he swung at Shea, making him doge out of the way and stumble off of the bed. Shea got up just in time to get a kick to his chin, knocking him backward. Leo caught up his shirt in blind furry and pressed him against the open window.
“How dare you,” Leo snarled in his face. Shea was always slightly taller than Leo, but with him dragging him into the air, he was even taller. He looked down into his face and smiled wryly. Disgusted, and loosing strength Leo pushed Shea closer into the window pane. He whispered in his face, “Fly birdie fly,” then pushed him out the window. Being revealed of such weight, Leo leaned against the window pane, panting. His vision was worse now and he stumbled over to the bed, fainting and landing on top of the unconscious cat. Covering her up was his last unintentional feat, before he embraced that lake of black once again.
Waking up Belle felt some pressure upon her body. There lay Leo sideways on top of her. “W-what?” she mumbled to herself. Her dress was dragged up her legs, straps fallen off her shoulders, one so far it exposed her bra. She quickly covered herself back up and looked in disbelief at Leo. She shook him awake. He smiled sleepily and propped himself up by his elbow.
“Well good morning.”
“Leo. What the hell happened? I don't remember...”
“It wasn't me who did this, it was Shea. I got here just in time, before anything could happen, I think.”
“What?” she asked shocked, bringing her hands up to her mouth. He immediately got up and gathered her up in his lap.
“Don't worry, I took care of it, he's gone,” he soothed, holding her close.
“But neither of us know that!” she protested.
“I'm sure.....”
“What if he...” she stopped herself and covered her face with her hands, fear knocking on her door.
“Don't be afraid, what matters now is that I'm here,” he soothed into her hair. Belle squeezed her eyes shut, fighting off the tears brimming her eyes. This feeling was stronger than when she was on the rooftop at school. She clung onto Leo's shirt and buried her face into his beating heart. Being unconscious of what happened to her body, being violated, not knowing what in the world happened to her, was a scary thought. Suddenly, Leo cried out in pain. Belle immediately let go of his shirt, dragging her claws out of his chest.
“Oh no...I'm so sorry Leo!” She wanted to hug him but was afraid to hurt him even more, so she painfully kept her distance. He lifted up his shirt to find eight little holes pricking his chest, red dots around his heart.
Angry at herself she looked away, “I'm really sorry,” she grasped her face in her hands, disappointed. Leo looked up from his small wounds to see Belle hunched over on the edge of the bed in peril. He scooted behind her and wrapped his arms around her.
“I didn't hurt that bad, it was an accident, and really, your only physically showing whats already happened.”
Belle turned around in his arms puzzled, “What do you mean?”
“I mean your hold on my heart,” he cooed leaning in with a smile. With tear tracks down her face, Belle smiled sweetly and took his face in her hands, carefully caressing him. Looking into his eyes she felt such a want to show her love, such a need to kiss him, that she lost her self control and embraced him. She kissed him with all that he taught her, trying to achieve a perfect score, trying to make him happy, but most of all, trying to convey her feelings. She parted momentarily to gaze into his silver eyes, now warmed and melting. Thinking, Belle found she was so happy that she was the only one in his eyes and his arms. Leo leaned in, his warm breath about her lips and whispered, “I love you.” Her smile brightened and she was so happy. Cheeks pink she also felt very embarrassed and all her words stuck in her throat. She found she just couldn't bring herself to say it. Not knowing what else to do, she combed her fingers through his hair and kissed him once more, this time with more passion, or so she aimed for. Leo kissed back, hiding his disappointment.
They headed back the next morning. Pulling out of the driveway, Belle fell silent, exhausted from the many events that occurred at the main house. Soon fast asleep, her head fell over onto Leo's shoulder. He smiled at her sleeping face and put his arm around her, hugging her close in the back seat. The car tumbled along the long road home. It seemed to rock the two lovers asleep and soon both eyes were closed upon the world and opened to their dreams.
A small weight in his lap awoke him from his slumber. There sat a snoozing black kitten, curled up and flicking it's tail contently. Dumbfounded at first, he looked around the car for Belle. His half asleep haze finally cleared when he looked back down at the cat, who had awakened and was staring up at the boy with clear blue eyes. Smiling, he picked up the cat and held her to his chest. Scratching behind her ear she purred and nuzzled at him. The car suddenly stopped.
“Here we are,” Belle's father announced pulling into their driveway.
Her mother turned around to find the cat and boy snuggling, “Oh, look honey, she's turned!”
“What?” he questioned turning around as well. Seeing his daughter he smirked a bit. “Would you like to stay over a little while in this case?”
“Sure,” Leo said smiling.
“You can carry her inside,” her mother giggled.
The cat's ears perked up and she looked at her mother with protesting eyes. Before she could protest anymore, she was suddenly picked up. Surprised she let out a meow and squirmed in the grasp.
“Hey, hey settle down,” Leo laughed. Defeated the cat lay still, her eyes not amused. He walked straight into her room, took a book from her shelf and lay down on her bed. With Belle still in his grasp, he began to read. She squirmed her way out and bounded towards the window. She looked over her shoulder to find that Leo's expression was neutral. Gazing out at the wind full of orange leaves, she sat on the windowsill. For a while she simply sat there, contently flicking her tail. Blinking, she turned around and stared at Leo, who continued to read nonchalantly. He didn't even look up as she faced him completely. Frustrated the cat hopped down from the windowsill and up onto the bed. She walked back and forth in front of him, whipping her tail high in the air. Nothing. She sat in front of Leo with a dissatisfied face. He lifted up the book to hide his smirk. Belle, from behind the book, placed her paw on one page and swiped it back and forth, trying to cut off his vision from the words. Holding in his laughter, Leo didn't move. Finally, the black cat dipped under the book and stood between it and the boy.
“Oh, hi there,” he smiled. Belle hopped onto his lap and stood on her hind legs, placing her paws on his cheek bones, staring into his eyes.
“Haha I'm fine, just teasing you,” Leo exclaimed. Belle brushed her head against him, whimpering.
“What is it?” he asked picking up the kitten, “Are you still scared?” Belle nodded, her ears flattened against her head. He tucked her under his chin and held her close.
“The past is the past and now your safe and sound with me. I'll protect you Belle. Don't be afraid, I'll be the only one to touch you. Soon this will all be just a faint memory. I'll stay with you tonight okay?” He soothed. Leo knew just what to say to make Belle feel alright. She purred in response and licked his chin. “Ah! Cat tongue!”
The next morning Bella woke up alone in her bed. Stretching and yawning a cat yawn, she looked around for Leo. All she found was a note that said:
Bella,
I've gone out for a bit but I'll be back soon.
Don't worry. I love you.
Leo
Belle furrowed her brow. What did he mean going out? Where to? Belle sighed. She was helpless. In her vulnerable cat form she couldn't' go outside of the house. She sat down at the windowsill and prepared herself for a boring day.
Meanwhile, Leo was downtown. He walked along the streets looking into shop windows. He was looking for a gift for a certain someone. An hour into his search he stopped at a park bench and sat down. “What do girls like?” he asked himself, head in hands. He was getting nowhere. He had no idea what she would want as a gift and he thought if he saw it he would know. At one point he came to a lingerie store but was overcome, blushing horribly and walked on. He sighed, getting up from the bench and walked onto the other half of town. Leo saw a jewelry store and walked inside.
The smell of old antiques met Leo right at the door. The store sold not only jewelry but antiques. He browsed around, looking very out of place in such a fancy store. Nothing struck him as jewelry Belle would wear in the jewelry section, so, he walked to the back of the store. Antiques, old and older, were placed in every crease and corner of the store. The distinct smell was overwhelming, but not unpleasant. Incense burners, portraits, and candle holders surrounded him. It was a bit darkened in that part of the store, but Leo could still see through the light that was peaking through the heavily draped windows. One clear beam of light stood out and illuminated a pair of earrings. Leo approached and stood over them, gazing. At their center was a soft pink stone, carved into a beautiful rose. Hanging from the stone were three stings of tiny pearls, the center string hanging down lower than it's surrounding friends. He imagined those earrings on Belle and instantly knew he had to have them. Picking them up he set them upon the counter, buying the perfect gift for his perfect girl.
The week went on with no major developments. On the last day of Belle's transformation period, Leo decided to visit her. Excited to see her, Leo knocked on the door and came in without waiting for approval, like he's always done. Before seeing who was there he heard this.
“I just wanted to give you guys a heads up about announcing my love for her once she comes to the main house again.” Leo rushed in from the foyer and into the living room. There sitting on the couch was Shea, Belle sitting in his lap, shaking like a leaf and her parents sitting on either side of him.
“Oh, Leo!” exclaimed her mother.
“Son,” her father nodded.
“Hey, Belle,” he opened his arms and immediately the cat dashed to him. He picked her up and held her tight to his chest. The black cat was scared and pissed off all at once. Seeing this her mother got up from the couch.
“I'll make some more tea.”
“I should be going now, thank you for your hospitality,” Shea said, his hawk eyes glancing viciously at Leo before he walked calmly out the door.
“Leo? Care to explain this?” Her father asked.
“Uh, give us a moment,” he said walking into her room.
Shutting the door behind them Leo sat down on her bed.
“Belle, are you okay? He didn't do anything bad to you right?” The cat shook her head no.
“I won't let that happen, I promise, don't worry. The problem now is if we should tell your parents about Shea.” Belle looked up at him, her blue eyes wide. Suddenly she leapt out of his lap and into her closet. A golden light burst in the closet then slowly withdrew itself.
“Belle, hey, whats going on?” Leo burst through the closet door. Belle screamed and turned to the wall, concealing her nakedness. Eye's wide, he stared at the naked girl.
”Stop looking and turn around, dummy!” she shouted.
His cheeks turned red, “Ah, sorry,” and he clumsily turned around.
There was a minute of silence as Belle banged around in the closet, falling over once or twice in the cramped space. Finally she slid open the door, fully dressed.
“I think I bruised myself,” she winced coming out of the closet.
“Sounded pretty painful,” he laughed.
“Now you know, when I transform back, um, so, I think that we should tell my parents, but we need them to keep it a secret.”
“What? Why?” He was astonished.
“Trust me,” she breathed.
“Alright,” he agreed. Belle started to get up but a hand caught her arm. She looked back at Leo with a questioning look.
“It's been a week since you've been human. I have some pent up emotions,” he smirked.
Her face grew pink and her eyes wide and Leo pulled her onto the bed. He flipped her over and kissed her passionately. He ran his fingers through her hair and held the small of her back. Belle kissed back, flustered by such passion. They each confirmed each others presence, traveling their hands about. After many minutes passed by, Belle finally pulled away, panting, “We need to tell them now.”
“Maybe we should wait till that goes away,” Leo smirked looking at Belle's tail. Embarrassed by it, she wrapped it around her waist and got up.
“I can be happy for many reasons, I'm sure they'll understand, right?” Belle said looking over her shoulder at Leo.
“It shows in your face as well.”
“What?! How?” She asked running over to her mirror. Sure enough, he was right. Her cheeks were pink, her lips red, and her expression soft and thoughtless.
“Oh man,” she exclaimed turning away.
“Haha, don't be embarrassed, it's cute!”
“Your only making me more embarrassed saying that,” she huffed.
“Pardon me,” he sarcastically returned.
“Is it gone?”
“Is what gone?”
“My expression.”
“It's gone enough,” he laughed getting up.
“You better be right.” The two walked out, smiling mischievously.
“He what?!”
“Oh god,” her mother breathed, clasping her mouth.
“I can't believe after that he had the balls to...!”
“Honey,” she cut him off.
“Well! This is serious Cathline,” her father fumed.
“I know, I know, but,” she stopped and spoke with her eyes. He sighed and looked down, nodding his head.
“But, Mom, Dad, you can't tell anyone.”
“What?!” her father exclaimed, exploding again.
“Please, trust me, this will be better in the end,” Belle pleaded.
“I don't understand right now, but I suppose it won't do any harm...” her father trailed off, “Leo! Son, you better make sure nothing happens to her, if he proclaims his love in front of the whole family, we have no choice but to acknowledge and support it! It's a contract!”
“I promise Mr. Blackman, I won't let that happen,” Leo assured.
“Good, good,” her mother smiled a small smile, patting his knee. Belle flicked her tail downward, trying to keep it out of sight and smiled along with her mother.
Later that night the two sat on the roof together.
“Hey Leo,”
“Hmm?”
“Where did you go that one day?”
“Uh, what one day?”
“When you left me that note,” she said looking straight into his eyes.
Leo blinked and looked away, “It's a secret.” Belle pouted. “Awe don't look so sad, I'll tell you soon enough!” She ignored this attempt and continued pouting. Without another thought, Leo bent down and kissed Belle, biting her lip in bittersweet passion.
“Let's go on a date,” he whispered into her now pink face.
“D-date?”
“Mhmm, like a romantic evening,” he murmured looking into her eyes.
Belle couldn't help but smile, “Yeah, I'd love to,” she whispered back.
“Great, this Friday, be ready by six o' clock, and remember to wear something fancy,” he winked.
“Right, a tank top and ripped jeans.”
“As appealing as that sounds, I'd go with something else,” he laughed, “Like your birthday suit!”
“Pervert!” she accused.
“Well I pretty much already saw it,” he smirked. Belle blushed but kept her stern expression.
“What no comeback?” he teased.
“Sure,” she evilly smiled. Belle jumped on top of him and pinned his arms to the roof.
“This is your punishment for invading my privacy.” She leaned down seductively and just barely kissed his lip, then pulled away quickly and go up.
“I think I'll be going to bed now, I'm pretty tired,” she fake yawned.
“Oh no you don't,” he exclaimed, catching her and finishing the kiss. They kissed each other tenderly, Leo gently caressing her hair. After a few minutes, Leo slowly pulled away and breathed into her ear, “I love you, Belle.” Smiling and closing her eyes, she prepared herself to say those three words. She breathed in and leaned in close to his ear when suddenly her mom called.
“Belle, get down here, it's getting late!”
Closing her eyes in defeat, Belle quickly kissed his cheek and broke away, hopping down from the room. Leo sat there and exasperatedly ran his fingers through his hair. He sighed with his head in his hands. As he shook off doubts and suspicions, he jumped off the roof as well.
That night Belle had a dream. She woke up in her bed and the time was 9:55 pm. She asked herself, “Why am I sleeping so early?” Then she got out of bed, wearing a soft pink night gown. A shadow from her closet scared her, so she jumped out the window. The shadow followed her down the street and into the parks forest. She ran along huffing and puffing when suddenly, as she looked back over her shoulder, she ran into someone and fell over. It was another man. His tall figure was hidden by the tree's cover. He bent over, revealing his face in the moonlight. Standing over her was Shea. He smiled sweetly and offered her his hand. She took it, but cautiously. Her instincts told her something just wasn't right about him. Shea smiled into her face.
“Ms Belle, what are you doing out here all by yourself?”
“There was...” she paused and looked back to find nothing, “someone chasing me.”
Shea put on a fake sad face, “Oh how terrible. I'll protect you, don't fret.” He put his arm around her and they started to walk through the forest together.
“So, do you know who was chasing you?”
“No, I couldn't see a thing.”
“Well, that's good.”
“What?” she asked dumbfounded.
“I wouldn't want you to see the face of the man I know.”
“What? You know him?”
“Belle, I must show you something.” Suddenly he took out a clear bucket full of a red liquid. He dumped it slowly over her head, turning her gown and whole body red. She screamed in horror, “What is this?!”
“It's blood. Do you want to know who's?”
“B-blood?!” she screamed. She looked down at her hands in terror. The moonlight illuminated the life force that covered every crack and crevice of her palms.
“It's a certain someones,” he trailed evilly.
Realization struck her and she looked at him, mouth agape. “No-not him, no, you couldn't have, HOW COULD YOU!” Shea simply started to laugh. Belle dropped to her knees, staring at the deep red blood, horrified. It seeped from her hair and onto the cold ground and she sobbed, not holding herself because she couldn't stand the feeling of that liquid all around her.
Belle woke up screaming, tears pouring down her face. She sat up in bed panting when she touched her face, to pull it away wet with tears.
“Wh-what? It was just a dream, just a dream,” she breathed, hugging her knees. After her heart had stopped it's palpitations, she got out of bed and looked at her clock.
“Crap, I'm late!” She raced around her room gathering her materials to get ready, because her and Mimi were going shopping.
“Ohh, I'm excited, are you excited? Even if you aren't I'm excited for you” Mimi squealed as they two girls walked through the food court.
“Haha I'm excited, that's why I called the expert to help me pick a dress out,” Belle smiled.
“I already have fifty million idea's,” she laughed.
“Good, but, nothing skimpy, that's not my style.”
“Trust me, I know just the thing!” Mimi lead her into a store that was dimly lit and smelled of flowers. Belle looked up to see a sign state in elaborate cursive letters, “Forever Romance”.
She blushed, “Are you sure this is the right store?”
“I'm very sure,” she smirked evilly looking over her shoulder. Belle gulped.
Minutes later Belle struggled to zip a frilly blue dress. She sucked in and stretched her arm around to the zipper. Huffing she called, “Mimi, this is never gonna happen.”
“Let me see!” she said barging in. Immediately she broke into a fit of laughter.
“Close the door,” Belle protested, covering herself up. She did so, busting her gut all the more.
“What's so funny?”
“I choose the ugliest dress I could find, I just wanted to see it on someone,” she breathed, her short blonde hair flung around her face.
Belle's anger broke as she turned around to the mirror. She laughed, “Oh god it's horrible!”
“I know,” she squealed through her laughter. The two girls laughed till they cried. Suddenly Mimi's face got serious, “Now to get down to business, try this on.” She handed Belle a medium length dress. It had pink cloth that was covered up in black lace held up by two thin straps.
“Seems kinda kinky with that lace,” Belle trailed.
“Trust me, this will be perfection,” Mimi assured, closing the dressing room door. Minutes later Belle walked out beaming.
“I love it!”
“I told you it would be perfect! Leo's gonna go wild!”
Belle blushed, “You think?”
“Lets just say if I were a dude, I'd totally...”
“Stop it Mimi,” she laughed.
The two rushed to the counter to purchase the dress.
Later that night Belle but on the finishing touches to her look. She wore her long hair down yet elegantly pulled back with a simple head band that matched her new dress. Twirling around in front of the mirror she could help but smile despite the butterflies that were crashing around inside her. With a double take at her clock she exclaimed, “I'm late!” and headed out the door, very excited to see her boyfriend.
“Belle,” a voice called. Just outside the door she turned around to see her boyfriend emerge from the crisp night, wearing a dashing suit. As their eyes adjusted, the two stood a ways from each other, dumbfounded.
“You look...” Leo trailed.
“No, you look...!” she returned.
“Haha, well I already know I look handsome,” Leo scoffed.
“I was going to say go change your outfit,” she countered, turning away slowly. Leo grinned and ran up behind her, placing his hand on her waist.
“It's this way,” he said, gently turning her around to the driveway. Her eyes widened as they fell upon a red mustang. The car was old, yet still looked to be in it's prime. “My mom let me borrow it for tonight,” Leo explained.
“Isn't this your...”
“Yeah, it was my dads.”
“Wow” Belle trailed. Leo's father had died when he was quite young, but Belle remembered him.
“Come on, we'll be late for our reservations.”
“Reservations?” Leo simply smiled as he closed the door for her and got into the drivers seat. The engine revved to life and the two sped off into the night.
As she got out of the car and the warm air stroked her exposed skin, Bella tried to figure out where she was. Before her was an Italian restaurant, with lights shining up on it's vine covered walls and shiny windows exposing a dreamily lit dinning room. She couldn't help but smile. Leo took her hand and said, “I thought you'd like it.”
“This is so...” she trailed, having no words to express her happiness. Leo laughed and started to walk inside when Belle tugged him back. Upon her tip toes, she thanked her boyfriend with a sweet, soft kiss, smiling as she parted. He was smiling as well.
“You're welcome,” he breathed, leading her inside.
They sat in a u-shaped booth inside a private room deep within the restaurant, laughing and talking in hushed tones as soft music played around their pleased ears. Each mouth glowed with a smile and hands held each other under the table, knees occasionally knocking into each other. A waiter entered their room.
“What will you be having tonight?” he asked with perfect manners.
Leo looked to Belle for her to go first, “Umm, I'll have the Tuscan salmon, please.” He quickly scribbled her order down on a notepad.
“And yours sir?”
“Ah, the baked ziti please.”
As he scribbled once again he recited, “Alright, I'll bring your orders once they come out.”
“Thanks,” Belle chimed. The waiter gave her a sultry smile that she didn't notice.
“You would order the fish,” Leo teased.
“Shut up, it's my nature.”
“If they had a cookie dish, you'd be all over that, huh?”
“Ha ha I'd get a tummy ache!”
“Ha ha. I have something for you,” he announced suddenly.
“Really?”
“Yeah, close your eyes,” he smiled. Biting her smiling lip, she closed her eyes, lashes brushing her pink cheeks. “Open them.” Belle gasped. Before her Leo held a black jewelry box containing two earrings. At their center was a pink rose carved out of stone and dangling below were strands of pearls.
“Oh my god Leo,” she barely breathed.
“Put them on,” he said with a laugh diluted with happiness. She reached in and carefully put them in her ears, then turning to Leo she smiled, awaiting a response. His expression changed to wonderment, “You look so beautiful Bella.”
“Thank you,” she said blushing. “They match my dress amazingly.”
“Oh, yeah, I had Mimi in on it, so she picked the dress out to match your present.”
“No way,” she said aghast.
“Ha ha yes way,”
“You two are so sneaky! But, Leo, thank you, so, so, so, so much,” she beamed.
“Anything for you,” he murmured as he kissed her cheek.
The two laughed over their warm dinners, sharing of course with each other. The candle that flickered on the table floated in a dish of water along with a lily, illuminating the constant smiles and crinkling eyes. After they were done they stayed at their table sipping out of wineglasses and exchanging stories in excitement. The impeccable romantic setting soon got to them and they were whispering to each other, touching knees and arms, and playfully hitting. Of course flirting lasted only so long before the two were immersed in each other, kissing and touching with such brimming emotion, it was a good thing they were in a room.
As they parted for a second, Bellas hypersensitive ears picked up on an unfamiliar clicking noise. She wrinkled her brow and turned her head a bit. It was like metal clicking, fast, skillfully, but what was it? A deeper set of sounds reverberated. Suddenly she heard a muffled gun shot that she knew only she could hear. She turned to Leo to tell him to duck but she was far too late. There before her was Leo, his face in utter surprise, a splash of red staining the front of his shirt.

“L-Leo?!” she whispered. He made only a chocking noise before his body gave way and he fell out of the booth and onto the wood floor. “Leo!” she screamed getting up, and rushing to his side. He continued to make horrible gasping noises. Urgently, she picked his head up and placed it in her lap, panicking. “Leo, Leo! Oh my god Leo. Help! Help! Someone help!” She held his face as it went pale. The stain grew larger and she grabbed a napkin from the table and pressed it to his wound. He gasped at the pain. “I'm sorry, I'm sorry we have to stop the bleeding,” she hastily explained. Very quickly his eyes started to flicker closed. “No! NO! Leo, stay awake, come on, stay with me,” she patted his cheek repeatedly. Breathing haggardly, he took his hand and cupped her cheek, looking into her teary eyes. “Leo..” she squeaked. “D-don't go, god please don't go Leo, stay here,” she whimpered as his hand slipped from her face. Suddenly his eyes closed. “Leo...Leo...LEO! NO! Leo wake up! God dammit wake up Leo!” she wailed, “Somebody help! Please!”
Her body curled over his head in her lap in grievance. She brushed his hair from his face as she murmured, “Please, come back to me Leo. I just can't live without you. I can't, you can't leave me. Leo...” Tears blurred her vision and her resolve crumbled completely as she professed, “I love you!” Suddenly a warm sensation pricked her tail into existence. Confusion lit her features as she turned around to see her tail flicking behind her. It felt different. From the ceiling light suddenly shined down. It softly lit up her tail and from it's beginnings a ribbon swirled itself down from the heavens. It wrapped it's soft pink fabric around her tail from the base to the tip, tying in a bow at the end.
The snake suddenly stopped. His face fell gaunt and he dropped his newspaper upon the polished table.
“Her love has been awakened. The first stage, it's happening,” he said in a stupor. The servants all gasped. Some stared at each other and made eyes, while others whispered, clutching their aprons in awe. From the corner of the room Shea shook, trying to control himself. He strode over to Uncle Hugh. “Sir, what does this mean? Who is the man of her affections?”
“I think we all know that,” he said with an odd sort of smile. “Alert the disciples, an urgent meeting is being held in one hour.”
The cat turned from her tail and back to her lover. She almost jumped at the sight that greeted her eyes. A bright light had burst forth from his chest, eclipsing his whole form. A warmth filled in her swelling heart and the tears dried themselves from her cheeks. The light stopped as suddenly as it started and left a beautiful sight. Leo's face was brought back to color, his features playing towards a blissful smile. His chest rose and fell silently and upon touching his breast, a heartbeat was felt. The girl laughed softly in spite of everything. Realizing the gravity of it all, thankfulness washed her entire being and with great heaves of emotion, fresh tears of a different levity poured down her face. She bent over and kissed Leo on his warm lips, holding hands now fresh with a pulse.
His eyes flickered open. His hands and mouth were occupied by a shaking little girl. Suddenly alive, he responded and squeezed her hand, kissing her back with great fever. A sob escaped the girls mouth and the boy leaned up and grabbed her, his hands shaking as well. His wall cracked and tears poured out of his shadowed gray eyes. Belle held his face as she kissed him, his tears pouring over her small fingers, cleansing them of his blood.
The bittersweet scene lasted for never-ending seconds, minutes, years. Finally the two broke their reunion and looked at each other with a new understanding.
“I...” the boy began.
“I heard the shot, but, I was too slow, Leo, I was too slow! I'm sorry, I'm sorry!” she burst with great sobs.
“No, it's not your fault. Don't cry, I'm here, I'm alive. And it's all thanks to you,” he comforted.
With realization the girl quieted in an instant, “I should be comforting you! Stop comforting me. And how do you know I saved your life? What was all that? And what is this?” she pierced, grabbing her ribbon-clad tail. Leo placed his hand over her mouth.
“I'll explain it all later, right now we need to leave.” Silently, the cat nodded her tear streaked face. “Can you concentrate and hear the culprits?” She closed her eyes and surfed the noises of the dinning crowd, skipping dull conversations and petty small talk. She twisted her mouth in exasperation when suddenly she heard it.
“Let's go, our job is done.”
“Are you sure? Why has her screaming stopped?”
“Obviously because there's no need for her to scream for help anymore, meaning our job is done, now let's go.”
“Whatever.” Gravel crunched under their heavy boots as they left.
“They're leaving,” she whispered as she opened her eyes.
“Good, lets leave too.”
“Where are gonna go?”
“Your house. The rest goes on your parents wishes.”
“What about a hospital? Your still injured!” she cried pointing at the deep stain.
Leo shook his head and lifted up his shirt, “No I'm not. I told you, I'm fine.” He revealed perfect skin, not a scar nor scratch on his whole torso.
“Okay,” she whispered, her mind swirling.
The boy dropped his shirt and took her face in his hands, “Hey, everything's going to be alright. We just have to sneak out of here and go to your house.” Her brows crinkled upward, she nodded solemnly. Without warning she pounced on the unsuspecting boy and hugged him with all her might. Understanding he stroked her hair, “I know, me too.”
Racing along in his fathers mustang, Leo kept glancing at Bella, who's face was forever in a determined scowl. She hadn't said a word for a while now. He had decided back in the restaurant to not mention the excruciating pain in his his chest, which he knew to be the bullet. He drove on, taking every shortcut he knew to her house. As soon as they reached their destination they quickly got inside.
“Mom! Dad?” Belle called. Her parents appeared.
“What's the matter?” her mother said seeing both their expressions.
“Leo, what happened?” her father sternly questioned.
“We need to go the main house, now.” Her father wordlessly strode into the next room to get his keys. Frozen on the spot, Cathline stared now at the large stain on Leo's shirt.
“He's fine Mom, it's healed.” Before she could respond her husband reappeared and they all got into the car.
The whole ride over, Belle wouldn't let go of Leo's hand. She sat tensely in her seat, constantly looking behind the car, as if they were being followed. The pain of the bullet now ebbed and flowed inside his chest, at times sending sweeping shots of pain coursing throughout his whole body. A cold sweat began to break from his forehead, the pain level rising with each tide. He knew that the bullet had to be removed immediately, or else. With his energy completely drained, he quickly fell into a black world, without pictures or sounds.
People rushed out of the main house, seeing their car pull up. Belle saw all her relatives and disciples, questions lighting their features. She looked over to Leo to find him still asleep. “Leo. Leo, wake up we're here,” she weakly commanded. He wouldn't wake, with pushing nor commands. Frantically she felt his neck for a pulse. Beneath her fingertips beat a heart, racing too much for comfort. “Shit,” she muttered under her breath. She opened her door, “I need someone to carry Leo in.” Uncle Hugh, Jason and Shea walked up.
“We'll be glad to help my lady,” Uncle Hugh said. She started to nod as the men began to lift him out of the car when a vision from her dream shattered her mind. Shea with a bucket of blood, hiring a shadow that chased her out of her room.
“Wait!” she shouted before they could get him out of the car. “Shea, you leave, I'll do it.”
“But, my lady,” he said coolly.
“That's an order,” she spat, trying to control her expression. She couldn't give away that she knew. He silently went away and out of site. She started to grab Leo's body when her father pushed past her.
“You should rest as well. Don't strain yourself.”
“I will rest with Leo.”
“What are you talking about?”
She stepped closer to her father and whispered, “The culprit is among us. Do not doubt my knowledge father. It is the truth. I will stay with him the whole time.”
Understanding, he nodded and lifted the unconscious boy with the rest of the men. Belle followed, her eyes darting around the crowd, seeing nothing.
The twins knocked on the door, their mother smiling as she shut them inside. Leo was placed on a double bed in the center of the room, sleeping soundly still. Belle sat in a lounge chair by his bedside.
“We will heal him now my lady,” Anna said with an unusually solemn voice.
Meekly, she smiled, “Thank you girls.” They approached the bed, one on either side of his body. The golden light spread from their minute palms into the large boy. Suddenly Hanna gasped. Anna looked up. They seemed to make conversation with their eyes. Finally, Hanna broke away and dashed out of the room, Anna stayed behind, keeping her light.
“Is something the matter?” Belle said, alarm lighting her voice.
“We need to get Uncle Hugh, my lady, the bullet is still within his body and must be immediately removed. It seems the bullet was encased around a capsule of poison that is now spreading in his body. For now my healing light is stopping the poison from spreading further.”
Her ability to speak gone, the cat simply nodded.
Anxiety lit up her feet as she paced back and forth. Her boots clicked on the wooden floors as Belle did so, awaiting some news. Leo was now in surgery with Uncle Hugh to get the bullet out. Afterwords he will be cleansed completely by the twins, which will take a full day. Everything that could go wrong with the surgery surged through her mind and at times she would crouch on the very spot and command her brain to be silent. The scenes that rushed forth from her subconscious terrified her to the point that she left the room and strut quickly down the hall.
“Ah, just in time,” greeted Uncle Hugh, who removed magenta gloves from his overworked hands. Belle cringed at the sight of the too familiar liquid. “It was a success. The bullet is out and we'll be keeping it for evidence. He should be just fine, though he'll be in a deep sleep for a day. If it hadn't been for the poison, he'd be up and ready quicker than a rabbit.”
“Right,” she said, trying to process it all. She glanced behind the snake to see Leo, laying as peacefully as before on an operation table. “Is he going to stay here or go back to the room?”
“We'll wheel him back into the room in just a moment. I should tell you before I forget, a meeting is going to be called once Leo is better, most likely tomorrow night. You, your parents and Leo should all be present. It's important.”
“Okay, thank you for all your help.”
“It's nothing, you're our head,” he smiled walking out. Two hardly familiar butlers came in and wheeled the table out of the room. Never forgetting her mission, Belle followed, watchful as a hawk.
Though the slumber he was in seemed quite uneventful, it was not at all. Leo saw and heard things that whole day. In his minds eye he saw the events of the day he died flash before his eyes. The moment that stuck the most in his mind was when his soul hovered over his own body, and he watched his girl cry over his cold shell. All he wanted to do then was embrace her and make it alright, but at that time, he was in a different world, only able to see her in the fading moments of death.
He dreamt as well. Crazy images of him being a superhero dashed across the black abyss of his mind. He was fast, agile, and strong. He could protect the damsel with the powers he had acquired. He was himself, but with greater additions.
Finally, after hours of obstructed images, he awoke. A pale ceiling greeted his eyes, framed gently by burgundy walls. Warm sheets wrapped his body, which felt quite nice. He sat up slowly and found a sleeping kitten by his side. She was curled up above the covers, her face placid. Without another thought, he grabbed the small girl, who groaned in protest in her sleep, and held her. Still asleep the cat mumbled, “Not yet.”
Leo stifled a laugh and said, “Oh, you don't want to see me just yet? Fine, I'll go back to sleep.” Suddenly she sprung awake and gawked at Leo.
“Your awake!”
“No, your just dreaming.”
“Don't try and confuse me,” she laughed.
Smiling at each other for a moment, both were silent. But, with newly found and powerful emotions, they embraced each other, closing any space between them. Slowly Belle retracted, keeping her face close to Leo's. His hands pressed into her back, stopping her just as their faces met. The two leaned into each others' breath, slowly tilting their heads to the respective sides. Lips were licked and hands were placed as the inches grew smaller, when suddenly the door burst open and they jumped away from each other. There was Shay, standing in the doorway. His features were like usual, but to Belle, his eyes showed it all. He was angry on many different levels.
Belle got up from the bed and stood before it. “What is it?”
“My lady,” he broke, “the meeting is being called in the parlor. Come at once for you and your companion are the topic.” At the mention of Leo, his eyes seemed to snarl and grow fiery.
“We'll be down in just a moment, thank you,” she said, a cool smile on her face. The cat easily detected the smile that now struck upon the hawk. He thought he was safe, thought that the cat was clueless. But as always, the cat is much too intelligent to show just how intelligent she is.
Rain splashed against the window panes as Leo and Belle made their way to the parlor, which happened to be located at the very opposite side of the mansion. They wound their way through the elongated halls and finally made it to the parlor. It was an oval-shaped room presently set up with a table and many chairs around it. Occupying the chairs were the six disciples and Belle's parents along with some staggering servants along the walls. The tension was an odd one, a mix of apprehension and confusion. Without a word, Uncle Hugh made a gesture for the two to sit at the empty chairs before them, on the opposite end of the table.
“The meeting is now called to order,” boomed the snake with a smile. “As most of you know, our head has a new development. Her love has been awakened via this boy here,” he pointed at Leo, a smile painted on his face, “Leo. We all know what will happen but of course our young head does not. So we must tell her the Tale of The Ribbons and explain the dangers.” He turned his gaze to the ceiling, the words of the story seemingly written in the heavens. He took a deep breath and then he began.
“Many millennium after the first creations occurred a problem arose. The Black Cat was lonely. She sighed as she looked out her window, down at the world she had fostered. The humans seemed to take a liking to one another and they would start families. Men and women of all shapes and sizes would become one. Seeing the pure happiness that emanated from their faces, the Black Cat realized something. A new force came to her eyes, older than even herself. Love.
“It took many forms and did many things, but it always created goodness and happiness. The Black Cat desired to experience the true feeling of love with another. She knew she had felt it before, when she was two beings. The human in her and the cat loved each other very much. But, this different caliber of love immersed her every thought from that day forward, and soon she had resolved to gain that love.
“The only people she saw in her house above the world, were her disciples. In a short time, she had fallen in love with the Hawk. She hadn't even meant to, but she did. She realized that she and her disciples would be reincarnated over and over again, and that the same problem would arise with it. So, she created the love ribbons, which told her when she met a true love and felt it. The first love ribbon was pink. When she reincarnated again, she would know when she had found her fist love, because it would appear at once.
“But, one stormy night, generations after she had created the love ribbon, a man from earth, who was ignorant to her importance, tried to take her life. Her love at that time, the mouse, battled the man fiercely and prevailed, but not without his life. The tragedy struck her so and she wept for days afterword. Then she struck up from her bed and declared to craft powers for her future lovers. Harnessing the energies of the Earth, she created agility, strength and recovery faster than any human on the planet. She also gave her lover a magic sword called the Moon Rose, which he could call upon and defend his love at any given moment. Her spell worked and her lovers never died from that point on.”
Everyone was silent, the great impact of the story still wavering in the air. Suddenly, Belle understood everything. It all made sense, her hesitation of saying her feelings, how he was alive after she declared her love. The funniest thing to her, was as Uncle Hugh told the story, she could picture everything so clearly, could feel the agony and determination of the ancient Black Cat. She knew this wasn't her simply being sympathetic. She had been there, those were her emotions, that was her story.
Leo's face was blank. He knew of the love ribbons, and he knew that's why he was alive, but he hadn't know the extent of the power. Belle looked at him and they each gave each other a half smile, their minds too boggled.
“What's peculiar about his case is that in the history of all the lovers, never has she fallen for a human, one essentially of her own creation. That is why we must monitor Leo carefully. We have no idea what the powers could do within the fragile body of a human,” the snake said. “We mustn't be careless, for this is our heads love. We must treat him as an equal to the head.” All the disciples and servants nodded their heads in complete submission, all except for the wavering nod of the hawk. “That is all we have for today. Tomorrow, I will hold a private meeting with the our head and Leo. You're dismissed.” Chairs scrapped backwards and polished shoes left the elongated room.
An enclosed flame burned within the fireplace. Belle gazed into the fire, seeing her imagination instead. She had her knees pulled into her chest. Her pajamas retained the heat from the coals as she tried her best to mentally sort out everything. Without her knowledge, she had given her precious human a dangerous power. Why now, when she had found someone so special; why this lifetime, did her plan of protecting her loves have to fail? Uncle Hugh said it himself, no one knows what these powers will do in the body of a human. What if she only prolonged his death? What if she only made it worse? The extent of her self-torture went to the point where she questioned if she should intrude upon Leo's life anymore. If he was so important, then she could let him be, alive and safe. But at the mere thought of it all, salty droplets caressed her cheeks. She knew she was much to attached. Leo was not just a friend, nor just a boyfriend. He was the landscape on which her life was projected. He had always been there, from the rising suns to the setting darkness, he was her constant. She could never let him go. That fiery determination deep within her past rose up again. She stood on the spot, a new spirit filling her and strode outside.
The crisp moonlight lit the conviction carved into her face. She looked up at the orb, and smiled with fever at the full moon. The powers within her veins spiked and rallied, screaming to be used. The moon not only controlled the Earth's tides, but also the creatures as well. She felt a sort of cynical hush to it all. How was this happening, how did she know? A smile greeted her lips, “Instincts,” she answered and her subconscious was satisfied.
Legs crossed and heart open, she sat upon earth, soaking in the moonlight, drawing up the energy. A crazed smile was forever on her lips as she felt the power of all come within her vessel. It was almost like a warm vibration, singing throughout her arteries, calling throughout her ears. She heard it, smelt it, tasted it. Her mind was set on one thing and one thing only, making her lover stay alive. The shouting in her head told her he was going to die, no, he was dying, at that very moment. In fact, it shouted, it was a mere human that did this to him, the damned human who was ignorant, who battled with him to his death. It was because of that repulsive being that her precious lover, disciple, mouse...
Belle's eyes suddenly flung open. What was this? Her heart pounded, that wasn't right. What mouse? It was all Leo. But Leo was fine, right? The screams of death protruded her mind once again and she slammed her eyes shut, sucking up the power and the insanity once again.
She crept along the dark halls, her inhuman eyes easily seeing the hidden crevices. There was no need to smell for him, she knew where he was. The door opened soundlessly and she smiled at her small victory. Her lover was sleeping on his back. Defying gravity she flew over to the bed and landed over the boy. “Wake up honey, wake up,” she cooed. “I have a present for you.” Leo awoke to the small hands about his shoulders.
“Belle?”
“I have a present for you, wake up my love,” she said once again, replacing herself on the floor. Leo's brow furrowed, her voice was unfamiliar. It was harsh and cold despite it's kind words. He stood before the small girl who smiled incessantly up at him.
“Is everything alright? What's gotten into you?”
“No, its you. You're not alright. You're dying. I have to help you, so I've created a present for you.”
“What is it?”
“Immortality,” she laughed. Turning on her heel she headed towards the balcony, opening the glass windows and stepping into the moonlight. Leo followed.
“I think you should go back to bed, you're acting weird.”
She turned sharply, “It's you who's acting funny! I'm giving you immortality, so we can be together forever,” she paused and pressed the boy against the wall, her face close to his and whispered, “make love forever.”
Leo's mouth went dry, “Y-you're talking crazy Belle, you're not yourself.”
The cat skidded away, “You...think I'm crazy? No, you need to accept my gift right now before the life drains from you body!”
“But I'm fine!”
“No, your not! And it's all my fault!” she screamed, “So I'm going to fix it!” The intensity of her shouts caused all four large panes of glass to shatter. They flew through the air, some scraping past Leo's bare arms and chest. The cat wasn't phased and she leapt into the air without warning and levitated there. “You will accept my gift right now,” she commanded. She sat in midair, head flung back, eyes rolling into her head as she muttered ancient enchantments. Frightened, Leo only held onto his forever-bleeding cuts and stared in horror.
The shattering glass awoke the household and the ancient magic frenzied the disciples. All six rushed forth onto the balcony to witness their lady, froze in midair before Leo. Her long hair was rushing in all directions as if terrible gusts of wind were becoming them. Uncle Hugh immediately realized what was going on and uttered, “Oh god!” Anna and Hanna in matching pink nightgowns held onto each other while Shay and Jason stood in the remains of the glass doors and simply stared. Strangest of all, Kyou, the boy who so readily hated Belle from the beginning, was staring, eyes full of tears.
“She's possessed!” the snake cried. The twins gasped in high-pitched tones. “The old spirit has arisen from her past life in an attempt to help her through hard times! But the one that surfaced is insane. We must exercise her! Leo, what was she saying to you?”
He jumped out of his stupor, “S-she said that I was dying, and that she was going to give me immortality. She said it was all her fault, but I don't---”
“My god!” he cut in. “It's the 17th spirit, the one who created the powers after her mouse lover died.”
“How do we fix her?”
“Exercise her.”
“But how?”
“Reunite her with the spirit she is tormented about, reconcile the problem,” he slowly turned to gaze at Kyou, who's face was covered in tears. “See, they already recognize each other.” He walked over and knelt before the mouse. Leo watched, expecting Uncle Hugh to give him some encouragement but all he said was, “You know what to do.” The boy nodded his fiery head and put on a determined face. Then, he walked towards his ancient lover.
The invisible wind rushed all around her suspended figure. Tears still flowing down, the mouse approached the cat with caution. He had no idea what to do, but at the same time, he did. Her legs were crossed as if she was sitting and with a shaking hand, he touched her boot. Immediately her eyes flew open and she looked down. For a moment the two only stared into each others eyes then the cat slowly lowered herself to the ground. Their eye contact was never broken. Despite the seven year age difference, the two were of equal height and with a shaking had, that cat cupped the mouses damp face. Then a river of salty tears began to flow south from her own eyes.
Her chin trembled and she whispered, “Alexsander.”
The mouse grabbed her clutching arms, “Andria.”
“I-I'm sorry. I only wanted to help. It-it's...”
“Shh, I know, but right now, they are in a different life, with different names and different problems. This new cat was only frightened, we cannot interfere, she has her own work to do. You were only trying to help, and we all understand that. Give the energy back to the earth, and the body back to the girl. Let us go rest in peace, together.” The cat burst into sobs and nodded her head in agreement. Lowering her hands and facing the moon she opened her mouth and tipped her head back. A blue misty light shimmered from her body and up into the sky. The wind that blew her sweet chocolate hair around was gone and all that remained was the mourning spirit. She turned back to the mouse and he embraced her, with the longing of a thousand years between them.
After a few moments, her eyes fell on Leo, who was standing against the wall, completely awe-struck. Her cold voice was softened as she said, “I'm sorry dear boy, your lover was afraid, and we are like sisters. I wanted to help. I'm sorry to frighten you,” she paused and looked at all the disciples, “I'm sorry to all of you. I'll give her back her body.” She looked to the mouse and took his hand then back to the crowd, “Blessed be all ye' whom love The Ancient Black Cat.” Then, with a gentle smile she turned to Alexsander. They placed their hands flat together and bowed their foreheads on each other, then with a sudden flurry of wind, the spirits left.
The two figures fell in a heap on top of each other. Only Leo rushed into action, going to Belle's side, the rest stood still, struck by the message and beauty. Kyou awoke first, and immediately looked toward Belle, who's eyes remained shut. Panting with panic he took his two fingers and felt her neck for a pulse. It was faint, but there. Both boys gently shook her, trying to get her awake. Finally her eyes crept open. She stared at Kyou for a moment and finally breathed, “I got you, my little challenge.” Kyou gave a small laugh and smile, taking her up in a hug.
Her fingertips were warm as she touched his back, their connection bettering. Leo made to clear his throat. Belle looked at him and her brow furrowed a bit. He gave her a smile and she returned the gesture, but with less enthusiasm. She grew the distance between her and Kyou and asked him, “Who is this man?”
Kyou's eyes grew wide, “What are you talking about?”
“Exactly what I'm asking, who is he?”
“You mean, you don't remember him?”
“Not at all, am I supposed to?” She shook her head and put on a formal smile. “Hi, I'm Belle, you must be new to the mansion, welcome.”
Leo stood still, mouth agape, staring at the girl who forgot her love.
“You mean to tell me she suppressed her memories of me?”
“Yes, Leo, I'm sorry to say, it's only happened a handful of times,” the snake sighed.
“But how? Why?” he demanded, shifting in his chair.
“Well, I can only guess that it's a defense mechanism. She is probably quite afraid of loving you, and what you'll think of her after she practically tried to kill you with powers.”
“But she should know I know her and I won't care!”
“Fear can be irrational.”
“How do we get her back?”
“Well, the best route is to keep you two here at the mansion and try to slowly jog her memory. You mustn't take anything she says personally. She may even substitute someone for you.”
Leo squinted his eyes shut. “I'll do everything, but I won't let someone replace me. Sorry to be blunt, but she's mine, and no one else is going to have her.”
“I understand. I would feel the same way. For now, go along with what she thinks. In private you can be yourself. Everyone else is going to do the same.”
“Uncle Hugh, she will come back won't she? She won't be like this forever, right?”
He gave Leo a small smile and rose from his chair, “For the Black Cat, forever is a passing sunset.” Then he left, without another word.
The next morning Leo woke up alone. His bed didn't contain the curled up cat who loved him so deeply. His best friend and love had forgotten him, in total fear. The agonizing impact of this squinted his eyes shut, in an attempt to shoo away the tears. There was a knock at the door. Leo looked down, all he wore were gray boxers. He pulled the comforter up and called, “Come in.” In walked Belle. She wore jeans and a large tattered plaid shirt. He recognized it as his. An awkward smile was upon her face.
“I'm supposed to tell you breakfast is ready.”
Leo nodded, trying to hide his smile, “Okay, thanks.” Belle nodded and started to walk out the door when Leo remembered his mission. He blurted, “The sunrise was really beautiful this morning.”
She turned around in the doorway, her face blank, as if some revelation was happening. “Do you watch the sun rise and set?”
“Yeah, usually when I can't sleep or when I'm thinking.”
A genuine smile broke across her face, “Me too.” Then she walked out of the room.
After breakfast all the kids and Belle went outside to play. Leo decided to follow, but without her knowledge. He had chosen to monitor her, so that he could see his progress. The twins suggested picking flowers. Belle and even Kyou, smiled and agreed. Everyone else was in on bringing back her memories, so the twins began to declare, “This one is for Hanna!”
Hanna took the flowers and held out her two bouquets, “This one is for Anna and this one,” she paused and lowered her voice, “is for Kyou.” Both accepted the flowers with blushed thanks. They all looked expectantly at Belle. She looked down at her bouquet and smiled, “This one is for,” then she paused. For a moment she just stood there staring at the flowers. Then she shook her head and sat down in the grass, her face dire.
“My Lady what is it?” Kyou questioned, coming to her side.
She stared at the flowers, “I feel like I've done this before, but I can't remember. I feel like there are a lot of holes that aren't filled. What am I forgetting?”
The children looked at each other and Hanna spoke up, “I think in time you'll find out, just don't push yourself, okay? But, pay attention to those holes and soon they will be filled.”
Off in the shadows Leo pondered. So it's as if all her memories of him are cut out, yet everything else still remains. Suddenly he had an idea and rushed inside. A few moments later he rushed back out and called to the group, “Hey guys!” All four looked up, expectant. Leo held a bowl full of cookies. The kids rushed up and took one. They all gave Leo a certain smile then left, saying they had chores to do. As Belle waved to them, Leo sat down by her side. “Do you want a cookie?”
“Oh, thank you, I love cookies,” she smiled.
“Really?”
“Yeah, and when I'm sad, my. My. Um. Oh,” she looked down her brow furrowed, “I can't remember. But I know it was someone important. Well, my someone important would bring me cookies whenever I was down.”
“That's very nice of them.”
“Yeah, I think they were the nicest person I ever knew.”
Leo couldn't help but egg her on, “Do you remember if they were a boy or a girl?”
“Um,” she paused and looked hard into Leo's face, “You look so cruel and mysterious, you know that? It's sort of funny, because you're not at all,” she laughed.
“Yeah, I know,” he turned away and whispered to himself, “You've told me before.”
A couple days later, Jason and Leo sat in the library where they first discussed the powers.
“Well for all I know, you could have the exact powers from the legend,” Jason said.
“I don't even care about the powers. All I care about right now is Belle.”
“At least she knows there's something missing.”
“Yeah, I guess.”
“It's only the first week, don't worry. Belle may be small and meek-looking but she's very powerful. Something like fear won't hold her back for long,” he encouraged.
“I just can't think of other ways to jog her memory,” Leo sighed, pinching between his brows.
“Well,” Jason pondered, “how about when you two first met?”
“We were like two.”
“Oh, then how about your first memory of her?”
Leo suddenly smiled at the memory, “We were playing house. I wanted to play mom and dad but she wanted to play cat and boy. Even then she knew what she was. There's no way at our age I'm going to ask her to play house.” Jason laughed and Leo chuckled along with him at the prospect.
Suddenly he said, “Why haven't her cat parts appeared lately?”
“Oh that's easy,” Jason said looking at his hands, “when there's numerous emotions or a confusing situation, the parts won't show. They represent her most pure emotions, one's she can't even deny.”
“So she's really confused?”
“Do I have to spell it out for you?”
“I've always been horrible at spelling.”
Jason smiled, “Alright, look at it this way. Your a freak, constantly denied by all humans. The only person you ever care for that's not family or another freak like you, is hurt. Everything is blamed on the freaks, so you think it's your fault. If they hadn't been associated with you, then they would be fine. You see what I mean? Belle thinks that she's messing up your life, getting you involved with non-human things. And now, due to the latest evens, she's bestowed powers on you that you may not even be able to uphold. I would feel guilty too if I were her.”
“But.”
“I know, she should know you don't care. But hey, put yourself in her shoes.”
He sighed after a moment, a level of understanding occurring. “I just wish she would come back.”
“I know me too.”
A knock sounded on the door. “Come in,” Jason called. In walked Belle who wore a friendly smile until she saw Leo, then it faltered and a brush of pink lit her cheeks.
“Um, Hi, Jason your parents are looking for you.”
“Oh, alright, thanks Belle,” he said getting up. He walked past the girl and stopped at the door to give Leo an encouraging smile before leaving. Belle awkwardly gave Leo a smile then turned towards the door as well. Leo couldn't help it.
He called, “Belle, wait.”
She turned around, holding the door frame, “What?”
“Uh, well, Jason and I were just discussing our first memories. I was wondering, what is yours?”
Despite the awful excuse he gave, Belle smiled and walked back into the room, sitting down next to him on the ottoman. “Hmm, that's a tough one, what's yours?”
“My first memory is of me and my best friend. We were playing house and I wanted to be the dad and her the mom but she wanted to play-”
“Cat and boy,” Belle finished. Her eyes had grown wide and she now stared at Leo. She didn't blink, she didn't speak, she only sat there, her eyes wide.
Within moments tears sprung from her frozen eyes that were fixed upon Leo.
“Belle? Do you remember?” She only nodded her head, finally bringing her gaze down to her knees. The boy grinned wide and made to embrace her, when she jumped out of his arms. “What's wrong?” he asked, looking at the frightened cat.
“Stay away from me.”
“What?”
“You-you can't be near me, it's not good for you,” she choked.
“What are you saying?”
“Just forget about me, you'll be better off then, you'll be happier.” She turned for the door, her hand on the door knob, when it suddenly slammed shut. Leo was behind her, his hands on the door, completely boxing Belle in. She stood stunned in place, her face looking at the wooden surface.
“You think I'll be happier without you? You’re wrong, I'll be nothing without you. It's already too late Belle, I'm with you and I'm not leaving. I'm not gonna let you just walk away from me anymore. It would hurt me more if you did. I don't care what anyone else says, we belong together Bellie, I love you and I know you love me too,” he declared, his deep voice strong.
Her hands slipped from the door. Leo slowly brought himself closer as he slipped his fingers through hers. He bent over and kissed the nape of her neck, then worked his way up to her cheek. Belle turned around and met his lips. The kisses were slow at first but a sudden passion overtook the lovers and they became feverish. Leo picked her up and brought her over to the leather couch just across the room. He placed her there and not soon enough was he back in her small grasp.
Not a single inch separated the two from each other as they molded their bodies with passionate movements. Leo moved his lips below her ear. Brimming with emotion Belle said, “I love you.”
Leo stopped what he was doing and placed his face before hers, “I love you too,” he smiled. Not even realizing what she was doing, Belle flipped him over, lifted up his shirt and kissed the place where a scar should have been. Now gazing into his eyes she murmured, “I'm so sorry. This is such a big mess and I'm an idiot. Please forgive me.”
“I forgive you, forever and always.”
Minutes later, the natural course of passion was taking place. Shirts were strewn across the floor. Panting breaths decorated the bare skins that now made contact. Hand and fingers danced around and grasped. Eyes only flickered open in moments of uncontrolled reactions. Everything was happening so slow and so fast that all fell away from the world. All that mattered was that moment, all that happened was love. If it hadn't been for the loud pounding fist upon the door, the two would've become one.
The hawk burst through, “My Lady I've come to,” he started but stopped as soon as his sharp eyes met the scene before him. Both were down to their undergarments, breathing hard. Leo's long body lay stretched over Belle, both their heads turned toward Shea. Hands were stopped in mid-motion, both their lips red from contact. The hawk couldn't control the fire that now raged inside him. “A meeting is being called. Come at once,” he barely spat, before slamming the door. He rushed straight down the hall, then throwing his body out the window he took to the skies.
Leo and Belle stared at the door in shock for a moment, then turned to each other. Small smiles and laughs were exchanged before the two began to get dressed, both boy and girl surprised at what happened when the mind is absent. Leo looked over at Belle as she pulled her shirt over her head. He walked over and hugged her from behind. “Your tag is sticking out.” He slid it back inside her shirt and the cat turned around, an eclipsing blush upon her face.
“Thanks.”
“No problem. Can you promise me something?” he asked suddenly.
“What?”
“Don't go away for a while and stay yourself.”
Ashamed, she looked to the floor, “I promise.”
Leo hugged her to his chest, “I don't mean to scold you, I just miss you. And lately, it seems like every force of nature is trying to keep us apart.”
“I know, but I won't let it happen,” she said staring up into his face.
“I won't either.”
As they stood in each others arms Belle played with his sweater, thinking.
“What is it?” he asked intuitively.
“I need to tell you something important.”
“Alright.”
“I know who tried to kill you. It was Shea. I had a dream about it and,” she paused, “he's not going to stop. He doesn't know that anyone knows and we can't let him see otherwise. It's only me, you and my father that know about this.”
“What are we going to do about it?”
“There's only one thing to do,” she brought her face down from his and stood staring at her hands upon his chest. Then, looking up into his face with vicious vertical pupils she finished, “Kill him.”
Belle sipped out of the perspiring glass, listening intently. She looked around the table with now human eyes, seeing her parents, Uncle Hugh and Leo. Hiding her smile behind the glass she looked at Leo now with new eyes. His intense gray eyes shaded with dark lashes looked at the snake as he spoke, his long muscular arms rested at his sides, and his black hair laid perfectly around his handsome features. His eyes flicked to Belle, and she dropped her gaze, embarrassed that she was caught gawking.
She turned her full attention to her uncle. “The only way to be sure about this is to simply test them, of course in a safe environment. We could do this today, or tomorrow, but quite soon. Though the powers haven't been used, they do not lie dormant in his body.” Belle's mind switched to a half an hour before when Leo slammed the door that she was opening.
“How will we test them?” her father questioned.
“Well Matthew, by applying simple tests of strength and agility as well as awakening the Moon Rose sword,” he answered shuffling his hands across the table surface.
Belle spoke up, “Isn't this dangerous for him?”
“Only slightly. The only risk is not knowing the powers effects' on a human body. Myself and several personnel will be there in case anything happens. So, can we decide now - test today or tomorrow? These tests of course will be private, only those in the room right now will know of it.”
Smiling gently Belle's mom responded, “I believe it's been quite the eventful day. We should all do well with a good nights rest.”
“Agreed,” Matthew chimed.
“Tomorrow in the courtyard a little after dawn?”
Everyone nodded their head in agreement. Chairs scraped back and everyone left the meeting room in a thoughtful hush.
Alone in the hall Leo was bidding Belle goodnight.
“I'll see you tomorrow,” he said.
“Yeah, tomorrow.” He smiled, took her chin as he knelt down and kissed her softly. Leo began to walk to his room when Belle caught his wrist. Wordlessly she led him into her darkened room. He looked at her, question on his brow.
“Stay with me tonight, please,” she asked wholeheartedly.
His mysterious eyes grew a bit, “But, we're not allowed to, what if your parents...”
“Please, I need you,” she asked her eyes pleading. The boy couldn't resist.
“Okay, I'll stay.” Belle smiled and hugged him in thanks, then locked the door.
Only moonlight illuminated the room in patches. Thankful for this, Belle dressed into a tank top and shorts, Leo already in bed, down to his briefs. Finished, she turned around to the double bed. Her love sat up and now opened his bare arms with a smile. She crawled across the expanse of the trundle and lay upon his chest. Then,the boy eased his body down onto the bed, holding onto his girl. “Good night,” he whispered.
“Goodnight,” she softly responded, kissing his open chest. Finally, cat and boy fell into the sort of slumber that succumbs only the most tender of lovers.
At the rise of the morning sun, Belle awoke, alone. She lay flat on her stomach in a bed too empty for comfort. She immediately sprang up and looked about the room. Every trace of Leo was gone. Stuffing herself into her day clothes and shoes, she rushed about the room in a panic. The feline turned to the door but on second thought, ran straight for the open window and jumped.
She landed on the ground without a sound. Belle held back that all too evil fear inside her as she sniffed the air, awakening her senses. The wind stirred all the smells into a pot of stench that she couldn't break. Furious she perked her ears and listened above the howling winds. Finally she heard it, “Close the doors and lock them. If anyone comes they aren't allowed in.”
“Yes sir.”
“Fuck,” she muttered under her breath. Pinpointing the sound she ran towards the abandoned green house
Two heavily armored guards stood at either side of the door.
“I need to get in,” she huffed.
“Sorry, no one gets in.”
Belle laughed, “You must not realize who I am.”
“We do My lady but upon the snakes orders no one is to come inside.”
“That's my boyfriend in there.”
“We understand but we have orders-”
“Fuck your orders!” she bellowed round house kicking the first guard. Nothing was going to stop her from seeing Leo, especially at a time when his life was in danger.
The second guard drew a rifle. Belle laughed, her pupils like shards of black glass.
“That's a cute toy, mind if I play with it?” she smiled, her pearly fangs shining.
“I don't want to have to shoot you.”
“Mmm, of course not. Your my loyal servant, right?”
“Y-yes,” he stuttered, the amassing violent aura surrounding him.
“Give me that toy of yours,” she hissed.
“I-I'm sorry but I c-can't do that.”
“Oh, wrong answer,” she grinned, kicking the rifle up in the air and then catching it in a leap. She aimed it with ease between the guards legs.
“Now, I don't want to shoot your little buddy but if I must,” she trailed. The guard suddenly screamed in terror and in seconds the green house doors burst open.
Uncle Hugh bounded out. “Belle, what are you doing?” he uttered. Keeping her aim on the guard she turned her face to the snake. “No, what are you doing? Not letting me in, of all people? How rude Uncle.”
“Belle you're not yourself.”
“It's your fault I've fallen into such a bad mood. If you would just let me in I'll be a nice kitty.”
“I'm sorry but it's for the best that no one comes in.”
“I'm coming in,” she stated, throwing the gun to the ground.
“No you're not!” he shouted. Uncle Hugh caught her and held her at arms length. He titled his head, his face becoming green and scaled, and his eyes turned a deep gold.
He hissed, “You are going to fall into a deep sleep and wake up not remembering a thing.”
The shards in her eyes fell and her fangs retracted. Dazed, the cat nodded her head and then fell onto the brown earth.
Belle awoke, her eyes slowly shifting open. A bright world met her dreary eyes. “Oh good you're awake,” a deep voice sounded. The cat slowly shifted her eyes toward the sound to find a blurry figure in white at the end of her bed.
“W-where am I?” she stuttered.
“You're in the main house, in your bedroom. Do you remember why you're here?”
“No, who are you?” she asked, the scene before her slowly becoming clearer.
“Oh common symptom of my powers, I do apologize. It's me, Uncle Hugh. You had lost it in front of the green house and almost killed two of my guards. I had to hypnotize you to keep you from harming others.”
Her memories came flooding back to her in a flash and her whole body jumped in an attempt to get out of bed. But to her surprise, her limbs slammed back onto the bed. She was restrained. “Sorry it's a necessary measure. After awakening, if you get up too fast you'll faint.”
“I need to get to Leo, where is he?”
“In his room resting.”
“Is he alright?” she questioned vigorously, pulling against the restraints.
“Yes, quite alright. I even had Shea watch over him.”
Her heart shot into overdrive at the name. She tried to keep calm under the quick-witted snake.
“Oh, well, that's good,” she uttered with less enthusiasm.
“Yes, so you just get some rest and I'll be back in a few minutes to release you.”
“Wait! Can't you release me now? I'm sure I'll be fine!”
“Well-” Just then a servant burst into the room.
“Sir there's a fire in the storage room!” he burst.
“Alert the servants, Belle I'm sorry we'll discuss this later,” he said firmly. Then in a rush of footsteps, Belle was left alone, tied up and scared for her lover.