Status: In Progress

9 1/2

Part 10.

The Doctor folded his glasses and placed them in the pocket on the inside of his coat. He liked that pocket. It was a strange little thing, hiding on the inside of the coat; He liked quirky things, that's why he'd chosen this particular coat. Why he chose Earth as the place to pick up all of his companions. Earth was a queer little place with exciting and genuinely good people.

He stared at himself in the reflective screen above the console of his trusty contraption. The thing that had been with him from the very beginning. He'd chosen this TARDIS and had originally planned to return it, but how could he now? After all they'd been through. The Doctor sometimes felt as though the TARDIS had actually chosen him.

Running his fingers through his haphazard hair-mop, he rested his forehead on a cool, metal lever. He closed his eyes and... just... dozed a little bit.
__

He hated walking out of the room which held his prized possession and his best friend, knowing that he very well might not be able to find it again, but getting the air would be worth the long search for it. Walking into the TARDIS to come face to face with, well, himself, caught him completely off guard. How could that possibly be? Clearly he wasn't dead, but Rose was so sure...

"I'm not meant to be alive..." The Doctor looked at himself in a hallway mirror just in time to glimpse a shadow skitter down the hall behind him. Quick as he could manage, he stalked toward the corner and stuck his head around, Rose walking directly into him.

"Doctor!" Rose flung her arms around his neck, clinging to him. "I thought sure I saw you go this way!"

"Rose!" He lifted her in a big hug, letting the air escape his lungs and letting his hearts slow back down. "You scared me half to death. I thought you were going to get some rest!"

"I was." She started, a mischievous smile engulfing her face. It was that smile he'd always loved: When her eyes narrowed and sparkled a bit and she bit her bottom lip a little because she knows it drives him crazy, but she also knows that he loves how sly she can be. "Doctor John fell asleep, though, and I thought-- well... You know." Her voice trailed off.

"I know?" He inquired.

"I just-- I missed you, that's all." She hopped on her tip-toes for a moment to plant a kiss on his cheek. "Now what's got you all worked up?"