Status: In Progress

9 1/2

Part 9.

The TARDIS shook and whirred in protest to leaving the premises. "Oh come on, you beautiful thing! Take us away!"

Doctor John sat in a chair in the chambers, cleaning his glasses with a solemn expression. "I hate to break it to you, but we're not getting out of here. They'll never let us go."

The Doctor stepped away from the console and forced the other Doctor. "If there's something you know, it would be fantastic to share it with us."

"Don't play dumb," He snapped. "You've come across this before- when we took Rose to meet her father. There's two of us. There shouldn't be."

"What are you talking about? Doctor, that's nonsense, isn't it?" Rose shifted her stare from one Doctor to the other. The Doctor squeezed her hand, trying to tell her to stay calm.

The TARDIS started to shake again. Nearly falling from one side to the other. It was as if the ship had been picked up and was being tossed around. Something crawled over Rose's foot, making her scream.

Rose, what's wrong?" Doctor John made his way across the floor to her. "Are you okay?"

"There's something else in here- I felt it!" She looked around in a panic. The shaking ceased again, but the three were nervous.

"You should go lay down, Rose." The Doctor said. He smiled reassuringly. "I'll check on you soon. You just look exhausted. Go have a nap."

"And what are you going to get up to?" She inquired.

"I'm just going to look around. I'll be back soon." She didn't look convinced, so he took both of her hands in his and kissed them. "I'll always come back to you, Rose, I promise."

She nodded, a small smile on her lips. "Just be careful, please." Walking back to their rooms she kept looking back at the two men who were the same Doctor and butterflies chased each other in her stomach.

Doctor John waited until she closed the door to address the other Doctor. "She deserves to know what kind of danger she's in."

The Doctor smiled sadly, "She's traveled with me long enough to know that there's always danger. She's a big girl, John. She can take care of herself. And if she can't- Well, that's what I'm here for. I'm never going to let something hurt her."

"But she doesn't know what has to happen, does she?" They watched each other, knowing one another's thoughts. "She doesn't realize that one of us has to die, does she?"

The Doctor sighed and opened the door of the TARDIS. "No, she probably doesn't." He dropped down into the water and closed the doors behind himself.