Dear Sam

Tenth

January 19, 2012

Dear Sam,

I’ve reread the last two lines of yesterday’s letter countless times, trying to convince myself that I was telling the truth. Even though I know, and you probably know, that I wasn’t. No matter how many times I say it, it won’t ever be true. Every day that we aren’t together I miss you even more, and it really is getting hard for me. I know that it’s probably crazy of me to feel like this, given that we didn’t know each other for very long, but I can’t help it. For some reason, I really started to like you. I had so much fun spending time with you in the summer. You were always so easy to talk to, even when you did interrupt me. You were really my best friend. If I wasn’t as work, I was with you, whether we were watching a movie at the apartment, or driving to Maine for the weekend. I got used to your random lifestyle, so when you left so abruptly, it was jarring.

For the first week I had assumed that you were just visiting family or something, and forgot to tell me. I had discovered over the summer that you often forgot your phone when you went anywhere, so I wasn’t really expecting you to call. When I decided to try calling you after a week and a half, I was disappointed to find your phone stuck between two of the cushions of my couch. Needless to say, I hadn’t been expecting “I’m a Barbie Girl” to blast from a piece of furniture.

I really do miss you a lot. I doubt you miss me. You never really seemed to have a problem with leaving people. I’d like to see you again.