Status: Was finished, now it's not... I'm working on that... :-) <3

You Had Me at Hello

Symphony for the Senses

Being in Russia was like being in another world. The sights, the smells, the noises, everything meshed together to become a symphony that excited me almost as much as it intimidated me. I had always wanted to visit Russia and I was happy that I got this chance and that I got to spend my time here with my boyfriend whom I loved dearly. When we got off the plane, Alex was smiling like a little kid at Christmas and his excitement for being home spilled over to me and made it easier for me to put aside my nerves at being in another country.

We walked in the airport and after claiming our bags, were greeted by Tatyana and Mikhail. I was surprised and pleased when Tatyana pulled me into a hug after having hugged her son. I returned the hug, glad that it seemed that she really had accepted me. On the ride to their country home, Alex insisted on having all the windows down, which was fine with me as this was how I normally drove. All the way to the house, Alex held my hand and pointed out different landmarks and told me stories about each.

When we finally arrived, I was in awe of the beautiful old home. The first thing I noticed were the vines snaking their way up the side of the house. After that, I noticed the garden that was already in full bloom, then the pond, the basketball hoops, and the tennis court. I was in awe of the beautiful property.

When we climbed out of the car, Alex was immediately attacked by his two nephews and he was laughing as he introduced them after hugging them both. I was pleased when both boys came up to me and shook my hand and welcomed me to Russia. Alex and I were swept inside where his grandmother, brother, sister in law, and aunts were waiting to see him. Everyone was really welcoming and everyone who knew English made an effort to speak it while talking to me which I really appreciated.

Soon after we arrived, dinner was served. It was interesting to see everyone sitting around the big table in the dining room talking to everyone. Alex’s family made an effort to include me in the conversation, asking me about my family, school, and anything else that they could think of. I felt weird being in the spotlight but as everyone was friendly and it felt like they really cared and not like they were just interrogating me, I didn’t mind too much. When dinner was over, I offered to help clean up and Tatyana accepted. I was standing at the sink drying dishes and laughing at something Tatyana had said when Alex walked in and asked if I wanted to go for a walk. Before I could tell him that I would as soon as we finished the dishes, Tatyana had grabbed the towel out of my hand and nearly pushed us out the door.
Alex took my hand and together we walked through the garden, watching the sunset. After a few minutes of comfortable silence, Alex stopped and pulled me into his arms.

“I’m really glad you are here with me,” he whispered pulling me close.

“I’m really glad to be here with you,” I whispered back before stretching up on my tiptoes to press a quick kiss to his full lips.

When I went to pull away, he refused to let his lips leave mine and soon deepened the kiss, his tongue asking permission to enter my mouth, which I granted without a second thought. We stood, pressed together, kissing for long enough for the sun to almost completely dip below the horizon. When we finally pulled apart, we were both breathing hard. Alex placed his forehead against mine after placing a sweet kiss to the tip of my nose. We stood like that, trying to catch our breath, just gazing into each other’s eyes. When we had caught our breath, several seconds later, I whispered that I loved him and placed another quick kiss to his lips before stepping out of his arms and taking his hand and continuing our walk.

The following days we fell into a comfortable routine where Alex would wake me up in the morning with a kiss before leaving for training. While he was gone, I would normally fall back to sleep for another hour or two before getting up and spending some time with his family. During my time with them, I was able to form a bond with them all. Sometime in the afternoon, Alex would return home and we would either spend more time with his family or the two of us would go off and do our own thing. No matter what the day brought though, we would always end up back in his bed and would fall asleep wrapped in each other’s arms. I was so happy that he wasn’t pressuring me into anything that I wasn’t ready for. It wasn’t that I didn’t want him, because let me tell you it was not easy keeping my hands off of him; I just felt like I wasn’t ready to give away that part of myself and when I did it, I knew that I didn’t want to do it when the rest of his family was in the house.