‹ Prequel: Cheerio
Status: Active! Comments are always welcome. ;)

Recovery

But There's No Date-Ness

I checked my lip gloss in the drop-down mirror of Kurt’s car one last time while we were sitting in front of the Lima Bean, dabbing it gently to make sure it didn’t clump.

“When are you getting your license again?” Kurt sighed, watching me and getting impatient.

I let out a snort. “I only have my permit. I haven’t even done driving hours yet. You’ve got a while to wait.”

He groaned and sat back in his seat. “If you didn’t stress about your makeup, then we would already be inside.”

I snapped the mirror up to the ceiling of the car and turned to give him a good-natured glare. “Might I remind you that the old you would have been very happy to know that I was making sure I looked perfect?”

He cleared his throat, catching on to what I was inferring. “That’s not it at all,” he denied my implication. “I just want you to know that you’re beautiful with or without makeup.”

I let out a snort of laughter as I opened my car door. “Nice try. But there’s no point, anyway. I’m not going to walk into a double date looking like a trainwreck.”

“This is not a double date,” Kurt snapped as he rushed to match his stride with mine. “Blaine just wanted to meet you, and Puck’s dying to see you again. But there’s no date-ness.”

“Mhm,” I patronized, stepping to the side to hold the door open for him. “Whatever you say, Hummel.”

He shot me a glare as we walked up to the front counter. Once he had his coffee and I had my latte, we settled down at a table.

I crossed my legs and gave him a sassy look. “Hm, would you look at that? Blaine’s not even here yet.”

“Shut up,” he muttered, taking a sip from his mocha. “He texted me saying he was going to be here in ten minutes. And that was fifteen minutes ago.”

“There’s this thing called traffic,” I told him casually, “I dunno if you’ve heard of it. But it happens, and he’s probably stuck in it.”

“At one thirty on a Saturday?” Kurt huffed.

“Um…yes?” I laughed, tucking my hair behind my ear. “Because everyone in Lima is out and about and shopping and going to meet friends and shit. So yeah, there’s loads of traffic at one thirty in Lima. That’s why I’m not stressing about Puck not being here yet.”

Kurt shook his head. “I don’t know how you can be so casual about being around him when you like him so much.”

I bit my lip to hold back my smile. In reality, my heart was beating out of my chest and I had butterflies multiplying like bunnies in my stomach. How could I not? I hadn’t seen Puck for nearly six months, and I had changed a lot. He probably had, too. Everything was going to be different. While Kurt was convinced that Puck was still crazy about me, he had no real idea. Puck may have been crazy about the old Evie, but what if he didn’t like the new one, too?

“Oh, never mind,” Kurt pointed out smoothly, “I can see that I just sent your mind into hyper-drive. Blaine just walked in, so try to dissipate the smoke that just came out of your ears.”

My face filled with a blush as Kurt stared, watching the guy I figured was Blaine walk up to the counter with his light blue eyes, taking in everyone of his movements.

I took that moment to crack a joke of my own. “Whoa. I think you’ve just ventured from crush mode to creepy mode.”

“I’m not sure there’s even a line,” Kurt shot back without hesitation.

“Actually, there is for most people. And you’ve jumped over it without even thinking of looking back.”

He gave me a look before standing up, putting an excited hand into the air to alert Blaine. The guy smiled and made his way over to us, coffee in hand.

I had to give it to Kurt: the guy was almost more attractive than Johnny Depp. His eyes were a beautiful color brown, his black hair slicked in a style that could have been completely lame, but he worked well. He wore a pair of nondescript jeans and a sweatshirt, which didn’t seem Kurt’s style at all. They probably balanced each other out well.

“Hi,” Blaine greeted with a perfect smile as he sat down. “You must be Evie. I’m Blaine.”

“Oh, I figured,” I spoke, shooting a teasing glare in Kurt’s direction. “Yeah, I’m Evie. It’s nice to meet you.”

“It’s great to meet you, too. Kurt’s told me so much about you.”

“Hopefully not that much,” I warned through clenched teeth, raising an eyebrow at my best friend.

“Just the basics,” Blaine cleared up. “Wasn’t someone else supposed to be here?”

“Yeah, Puck,” Kurt rushed to answer, “Evie’s boyfriend.”

“He’s not my boyfriend,” I mumbled. “I don’t know what the hell he is.”

Blaine nodded. “That kind of situation, huh?”

“Yup,” I nodded, taking a sip of my latte.

“Is that him?” Blaine asked, nodding toward the door.

Kurt and I turned to where Blaine had gestured to, and I nodded slowly. Puck was standing there, his Mohawk cleanly shaven, wearing a t-shirt and jeans.

He spotted us before we had to do anything to bring his attention over. He walked with a purpose, not even bothering to get a coffee.

I got to my feet, ready to give him a hug in greeting, but when he finally reached me, he had a different idea.

He cupped one hand on my cheek, the other grabbing my waist and pulling me toward him as he leaned down and connected his lips to mine. He managed to be gentle and sweet, while also rushed and urgent at the same time, putting all into one kiss all he had felt while I was gone.

The whole world seemed to drop away while he was kissing me. Well, until Kurt cleared his throat loudly and said, “Um, PUBLIC, guys.”

I broke away, blushing like mad and smiling. “Hi,” I laughed.

“Hey,” he replied, his hand still cupping my cheek. He rubbed his thumb along my cheekbone a couple of times, his eyes full of sparkle and wonder. “I’m so glad you’re back.”

“Me, too,” I breathed.

“And I’d just like to interject here that I told you so, Evie.”

I turned to glare at Kurt, who was sitting back in his chair, his arms folded across his chest smugly.

“Told you what?” Blaine asked, looking curiously.

“Nothing,” I interjected before facing Puck again. “Why don’t you go get something to drink?”

“I will, now that I’ve already seen you.” After giving me a cheeky grin, he made his way to the front, his eyes locked on the menu board.

“I’m not sure I see how that’s complicated,” Blaine voiced simply.

I let out a loud laugh. “There’re more going on than what meets the eye.”

“Yeah, like Evie doesn’t have the self-confidence to realize that Puck’s completely head-over-heels about her.”

“Kurt, I love you, but seriously. Shut up."
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm so sorry, guys. I'm crap at updating this. It's been two stinkin' weeks. *sigh* I'm going to get better, I swear.

Also, I'm in a contest to win tickets to see One Direction in concert, and I've got to get as many clicks on my link as possible, which is here. It would mean everything to me if you'd take the second to click on it, really. THANK YOU. Love you guys.

And again, I swear I'm going to get better at updating this. :D