Status: Active

Two Way Street

Mara

“For the billionth time, Harry, I’m not going to break down and cry because Liam likes to gossip about me, okay?” I shot a glare at Harry as tossed two pints of ice cream into our shopping cart. Along with several bags of crisps in differing flavor, two pints of vanilla flavored royal icing, several other sweets, and pop. Lots of pop. It would have seemed as if I’d just broken up with a long time boyfriend instead of defriending a jerk who couldn’t keep his tongue in check.

Harry rolled his eyes, “I have a sister, Mar-Bear. I know the mood swings that you women-folk experience. It’s fine, I know what to expect and I definitely know how to handle sad feels.”

I choked, “Did you say ‘feels?’ Have you been hanging out with teenage girls or something? Because if you ever say that ever again, I will murder you with a gummy worm.”

“How will you do that?” he asked curiously.

“Wouldn’t you like to know?” I teased as we proceeded through checkout.

He nodded enthusiastically. He carried the bags of food and sweets as we walked down the London streets to his favorite Chinese place.

“Well too bad. Because you’ll have to say it again to find out It won’t be pretty, just saying,” I snickered as he held the door open for me with his grocery laden arms. “I can open the door just fine by myself, Harry.”

He rolled his eyes, “I’m trying to be a gentleman, babe. Anyway, what do you want?”

“Orange chicken and chow mein and fortune cookies. I love fortune cookies.”

He laughed, “Alright then. A girl who knows what she wants.”

He ordered the food to go and we walked home. He carried all the food and I felt rather helpless. I felt pathetic. I sighed when he opened the door again, rolling my eyes and settling myself on the couch.

“Do you have and clothes I can borrow? There’s no way in hell that I’m wearing my work uniform all night. Or day,” I sighed and picked at my ugly green polo shirt.

He nodded and set the good on the coffee table. “In my closet. Help yourself to anything.”

I grinned and kicked off my shoes before entering into his room. It was exceptionally clean and I was oddly surprised. I didn’t take Harry for the sort who seemed to be cleanly. Not like Louis anyway. He had a small desk with a few neat stacks of paper along with a small cup of pens and pencils. His bed was made and a small cat was curled by the small throw pillows on his bed. I smiled, petted the cats head, and opened the closet door. I was surprised to see all his clothes hung up and folded nicely.

I grabbed a pair of black sweats and quickly put them on before I rummaged through the various sweaters he had hung up. I grabbed a purple red sweater that looked warm and put it on after shedding my polo and undershirt. It was warm and smelled amazing.

I pulled my hair from its tight ponytail and redid it into a loose knot on top of my head. I folded my clothes and set them on the corner of his bed. I left Harry’s room and sat on the couch beside him. He eyed my clothes and grinned. “Nice choice.”

“Thanks, it looked warm and comfy to me, so yeah. I hope it’s okay.”

He shrugged and handed me the first takeout box. I opened it up and started eating the orange chicken, frowning at it’s amazing-ness. He handed me a pop and I smiled. “So what should we watch?”

I frowned again, “I don’t know what. What do you have?”

He laughed, “The better question is what don’t I have. What’s your favorite film?”

I hummed and thought for a minute, “I’m a fan of Monster’s Inc.”

He grinned, “That I have.”

He set his takeout box down and searched his book shelf full of films. He pulled one out and popped into the player. The music played and he started the film. He sat down on the couch again with his left knee bent against his chest and the other underneath himself. He wrapped his arms around his knee and ate around it.

“So you’re still not upset about the whole Liam thing?” Harry asked around his chopsticks that shoveled chow mein into his mouth. He watched me warily out of the corner of his eye like I’d snap any second.

I rolled my eyes as I chewed a piece of orange chicken. “I’m upset about it but I’m not going to snap about it, I promise.”

“What exactly are you upset about?”

I shrugged, “Wouldn’t you be upset about being accused of sleeping around with someone who is obviously your friend? I mean, I like you Harry, but you’re not my type.”

“So then why aren’t you bitingly sarcastic like you usually are if you aren’t going to snap?” he asked, taking a large gulp of pop.

I sighed and set down the half empty takeout box, “Because the bitingly sarcastic me seems to only hurt people and push them away.”

Harry cleared his throat, “Liam, you mean.”

I shrugged, “Sure. Liam.”

“So you’re changing your sense of humor because Liam doesn’t know how to how to take a joke?” Harry asked, trading the chow mein for my orange chicken.

I shook my head and slurped the noodles, “Louis said to cool it so I don’t scare people away. I don’t want to scare people away anymore and I especially don’t want anyone to hate me.”

Harry sighed and set his food down, turning on the couch to look at me. “He asked you to tone down your sense of humor because he doesn’t want people to freak out about you? It seems more like he doesn’t want people mad at him about you.”

I nodded, “Yeah, pretty much.”

He frowned, “I don’t like that.”

“Why?”

“I liked your sarcasm. It made me like you even more.”

I smiled, “You’re too nice, Harry.”

He shrugged, “It’s just who I am, babe.”

I groaned and slammed the throw pillow into his face. “Don’t call me that.”

He tossed it back at me, but I dodged it. “Why not?”

I shrugged, “It sounds like we’re together.”

He laughed, “And now you’re hung up on the idea of us dating slash sleeping with each other even though it’s not true. Are you going to tell me I can’t hold your hand when we walk now or that I can’t give you a hug because that’s not what friends do?”

I frowned again and stared into the chow mein takeout box. “Sorry. I just don’t want to feed the rumor that Liam apparently spread throughout the boys. They probably think I’m a slut now.”

Harry sighed and popped open the frosting containers. He handed one to me, “Cheers. You can’t be paranoid about what people are saying because people are going to talk a lot no matter what. Believe it or not, Liam’s not the only one talking about you like that.”

I raised an eyebrow.

“Tabloids are saying that you’re fooling around with Louis and me,” Harry looked up at me through thick eyelashes with those green eyes. “They saw Louis kissing your cheek and holding hands and they saw us at the football game afterwards. You kissed my cheek and hugged me.”

I set my frosting down and stared at the film screen.

Harry scooted closer to me, “It happens when you’re friends with us.”

“Great. So now I can’t be friends with you people?” I tossed my hands up in exasperation.

Harry sighed and patted my knee, “It’s fine, Mara.”

He hugged me tightly, “Eat the frosting and feel better. It’s just something you’ll have to get used to being friends with us now. But don’t worry, no matter what the tabloids say, I’ll always love you.”

I sighed and hugged him back, “You are seriously the sweetest boy I’ve ever met. Sweeter than Louis.”

He kissed me cheek, “Eat the frosting, babe. Let’s just watch the movie.”

I nodded and settled against him, my back against his arm as I ate the frosting and laughed at the movie.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yeah. Having a bad day. Yep.