Status: Active

Two Way Street

Mara

First priority: talk to Zayn.

Second priority: talk to Louis and beg his merciful forgiveness.

Third priority: see where Niall went off too and tell him about it.

I had my work cut out for me and none of it was going to be easy at all. But nevertheless, I pulled out my cellphone and dialed Zayn’s number as Harry told me the digits. It rang a few times before he answered with a small, “Hullo?”

“Hi, Zayn?”

Yeah, who else would it be?” his voice sounded empty than when I last talk to him. Which was...the football game? I couldn’t remember the last time we talked in depth. If we’d talked in depth at all.

I bit my lip, “I don’t know. Sorry. It’s Mara.”

Hi,” he responded simply.

I took a deep breath, “I understand why you would tell Louis about Liam and I. It makes sense. You saw his reaction when Liam told him that I’d been shagging Harry and you didn’t want that to happen again. You did what you thought was right and that was telling him about Liam and I and what we did. I completely understand.”

Yeah, well. Liam hates me now, so whatever,” I heard the anger in his voice.

“I’m sorry I got in between you all. If Louis hadn’t introduced me to everyone, then we wouldn’t be in this mess. I just want you to know that I’m not mad at you because I would have done the same thing. Even if Liam says he would’ve done differently. I’m sorry he’s angry with you, but he’ll come around. I’ll talk to him, if you want,” I offered, putting an extra dose of kindness in my voice.

He sighed over the phone, “I’m sorry too. Sorry for blaming you when it was my fault. I really shouldn’t have told Louis. I knew he’d be angry. I just want Liam as my friend again.

I nodded and Harry cast me an confused look, “I’ll talk to him and then we’ll go talk to Louis together. Do you know where Niall is?”

Um, no? He might be with Lou if he’s not with Harry. He’s definitely not with Liam,” Zayn said quietly.

“Alright, thanks Zayn. I’m sorry, again.”

Don’t be, Mara. It’s fine. I’ll talk to you later. Let me know how things go?”

I nodded, “Of course.”

The line went dead and I sighed. “Can you call Liam and have him meet me at Louis’ apartment?”

Harry didn’t smile, “Do you really think that’s a good idea? He’s probably really pissed off right now.”

I shrugged, “I’ve dealt with a pissed of Louis Tomlinson before, Harry. It’s nothing I can’t handle. I just need Liam there for back up so we can explain things together.”

He sighed in what seemed like defeat, “Fine. Are you going to walk there alone?”

I nodded, “Yeah, I need to collect my thoughts and script what I’m going to say.”

He nodded, “Okay. Call me after you and Liam deal with Louis. I want to know how things turn out.”

I gave him a quick hug, “Thanks for everything, Harry.”

He hugged me back, “Best of luck to you.”

I turned around and headed down the street to Louis’ apartment. It wasn’t a long but it seemed like forever when I started to think about all the things I would have to say. Why I had gotten drunk, why I had followed Liam to his apartment, why we’d done the naughty, why we were going out now. If we were going out. I didn’t know. We’d kissed, yeah, but did that mean going out? Were we dating now?

Liam waited by the door with his hands in the pocket of his trousers. His hair was being tossed about by the wind and he looked...fit. I thought Liam Payne looked fit. Just a few weeks ago, he hated my guts. Then we became friends. Just a few days ago, I hated his guts. Then last night and then I was confused.

“Hey,” he said simply. He held out his arm and I took hold of it. He kissed my cheek and I felt my face heat up.

“Hi,” I whispered.

He tilted my face and kissed my lips, “I’m pretty sure I’m never going to get over the fact that we hated each other a few days ago and now we’re kissing.”

I nodded, “Yeah, it’s a bit strange. Are we ready for this though? I mean, we’re just stating over and we’re already battling Louis for this.”

Liam sighed, “If we don’t face him now about this, then he’s just going to have more time to stew in his anger. It’s now or never, Mara.”

I groaned, “I really don’t want to do this. I wish it never happened in the first place. What’s done is done, I suppose. Let’s get this over and done with so I can go home.”

He nodded and opened the door, letting me go first. I took my spare key out and unlocked Louis’ door. Louis was laying on the couch, a beer in his hand and the telly remote in the other. He flipped through the channels, hissing when he found nothing of interest.

“Louis? What the hell?” I scanned the living room and saw at least a half dozen empty beer bottles on the coffee table.

He didn’t look at either of us.

I walked over to him and kicked his legs off the arm rest and stared at him until he turned his head, “I’m getting drunk. What does it look like?”

“We want to talk to you.”

“Well, I don’t want to talk to you, so there,” Louis threw back the remaining beer and slammed it onto the coffee table.

I jumped back at the sound, but was more surprised that it didn’t shatter onto the floor. I kicked him in the thigh again until I got his attention, “You’re going to listen to me and you’re going to listen to me good, okay?”

He nodded quietly.

“Liam and I were both drunk as hell last night and we didn’t know what we were doing, okay? We’ve both come to the conclusion that we’re going to start over.”

Liam nodded, “I should’ve told you about it myself, Louis. I screwed up last night with her. I was drunk and I didn’t know what I was doing. I didn’t want to hurt you or anything.”

“I’m beyond hurt, Liam,” Louis said pointedly.

I frowned, “Okay, so tell me exactly what you’re feeling then.”

“I feel like I don’t know you, Mara. I just wanted you to meet the guys before we went on tour to the states. I didn’t want you to get with one of them. First you moved in with Harry when you know I would’ve made room for you. Then you shag Liam and you didn’t tell me first? You told Zayn? What’s wrong with this entire thing?” Louis sat up and rubbed his face, the sound of his hands rubbing opposite his five o’clock shadow.

I sighed and sat down beside him, “Things happened, Louis. I didn’t want to get with one of them either it just sort of happened.”

“Why were you drinking in the first place?”

I hung my head, “Because I couldn’t think straight. I wanted to stop thinking about why I hated Liam. I wanted to forget that I was living with my best friends’ friend because I have a shitty job and I don’t have enough money to pay my own rent. There was so much pressure and stress and getting drunk seemed like a good idea. Lou, you’re my best friend. You’re my best friend and I don’t want to lose you because of one mistake. I’ll do anything to make things better between us again. I just want my best friend back.”

Louis sighed, “I know I should forgive you but I can’t yet. You are my best friend and I do love you and I do want to make things better between us, but you need to earn that back, Mara. I didn’t know you were losing your apartment and I didn’t know you were moving in with Harry until Liam told me. I think you need to learn to trust me again before we can move on.”

I felt my throat tighten and I knew I’d cry soon if I didn’t get out of that apartment. I nodded and bit my tongue, standing up. “Alright. I’m sorry again, Lou. I didn’t mean for any of this to happen.”

He nodded and stood up too, stretching out his arms. “Give us a hug, yeah?”

I nodded vehemently and nearly dove into his arms, wrapping my arms tightly around him. I secured myself to him tightly, trying my hardest to hold back those stupid tears. I pulled away and forced a smile, “Thanks for giving me another chance, Lou.”

He shrugged, “It’s what friends do.”

I nodded and grabbed my keys off the coffee table, “I’ve got to get going. I’ve got work late tonight.”

Louis nodded and kissed my forehead before Liam and I left him alone.

“Are you okay?” Liam asked softly.

“No,” I whimpered, bursting into tears.

We stopped walking and he turned me to face him. He wrapped his arms around me and just hugged me tightly. “Things will work out, Mara. It’ll just take some time. We’ll work things out with Louis together.”

I nodded and he swiped his thumbs across my cheek, catching the tears that had begun to fall. “Thanks, Liam.”

“Don’t mention it,” he winked and we started walking down the street again, holding hands.

He was right. Things would work out.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ohhhh yeah buddy! Yep :)