Status: Active

Two Way Street

Mara

I glanced up from the stack of paper in front of me on the front desk of the hotel where I worked. The clock was a long way away on the opposite wall, but from what I could tell, it said ten in the morning. Or nearly ten.

I’d already been working for seven hours. I refocused on the papers in front of me, sighing angrily and in frustration.

The doorbell had been jingling all morning and it was frustrating. Each time it jingled, I was forced to put on my best, angelic smile.

I glanced down at the stack of paper when I saw it was only the wind jingling the bells. The paper was made of bills, letters, and notices that my landlord gave to me last night. Late on rent, late on rent, late on rent, overdue rent, shutting off lights and hot water, late rent.

No money, no rent.

Louis always told me to let him know if I ever had troubles. Especially financially. He was always so generous but I didn’t care. I didn’t want his charity.

The door jingled again and I looked up, plastering a smile on my face. “Louis.”

“Hey, Mar. Enjoying work?”

“No. No, I’m not. But what’s up?” I asked, stowing the papers in my book bag underneath my chair.

He watched me suspiciously, his beautiful eyes narrowing. “What were those?”

“Oh you know,” I stalled, trying to think of a viable lie. “Just letters from a pen pal.”

“Pen pal?” I nodded. “I didn’t know you had a pen pal.”

I nodded again, “She’s from Russia.”

He smiled, “Good for you. What time to you get off work?”

I checked the lock behind him, “Three hours. So, noon. Why?”

Louis shrugged and leaned forward, resting his elbows on the counter, and propping up his head. He was smiling and the glint reached his eyes. “The boys and I are having a football tournament and we need another player. We were going to find someone else, but Harry insisted I ask you.”

I rolled me eyes, “Harry just wants to see me run around and jump and stuff. Or just to thoroughly give him a good, old fashioned ass kicking.”

Louis nodded in agreement, “I think he wants your foot up his ass, for sure. Are you in then?”

“What about Liam? You said he wasn’t going to be around if I’m there,” I said cautiously. “I don’t want to be the reason that your friendship is ruined. I don’t mind just working some overtime to keep busy.”

He shook his head, “No, he said he’s okay. He says he’ll work toward being your friend if you promise to keep the sarcasm and insulting down a bit. Can you do that? We’ll get food at my place and we’ll have another sleep over. Maybe just you and me and we’ll do like we always do. Movies and popcorn.”

I grinned, “Really? He’s going to give me a chance? That’s great!”

He poked the tip of my nose, “Yep.”

“Sounds great to me. Anything I should bring?”

“Your old cleats and some shorts. There’s no way you’re playing this tournament in khaki slacks, a green polo, and heels. Do you want me to stop by your apartment and grab your stuff so you can just meet us at the park?” I nodded, “I’ll call you with the details and which park.”

I nodded, “I’m excited is there anything else I can bring?”

He shook his head again, “Nope. Zayn’s taking care of the water and Niall’s taking care of the food.”
“Figures,” I muttered.

“Well, I’ll see you in a few. Key still under the mat?” I nodded. He leaned forward and kissed my cheek, “Love you, Mar.”

“Love you too, boobear.”

He winked at me as he walked out the door, the jingling behind him.

I sighed, “How did I manage to get the best best friend ever?”

The door bell jingled again and I glanced up, another smile, but it faded quickly. “What are you doing here?”

Harry shrugged, “Just thought I’d say hello and invite you to our football match.”

“You’re too late, Styles. Lou already beat you to it. He just left in fact. He went to go grab my cleats and shorts for the game in a bit.” I said, taking out the pile of papers so I could sort through them. An eviction notice? I was being evicted?

“Wow, are you okay, love?” Harry asked, swaying on his feet.

“I’m being evicted,” I whispered.

“Evicted?”


“Yeah, a fancy term that means I’m getting kicked out of my fucking apartment,” I hissed. I slammed the paper down and rested me head on my folded arms on top of the counter. “What the fuck am I going to do?”

Harry bit his lip, “Move in with your parents? It’s what I would do.”

I laughed bitterly, “If I fucking had parents...”

He frowned, “Move in with Lou?”

“Can’t. I just told him all these papers were from my Russian pen pal. I told him that I didn’t need money either because I was financially settled and I could pay for everything myself. What the fuck am I going to do, Harry?” I looked up at him, knowing I was about to cry.

The look on his face forced the tears out of me. His eyebrows knit upwards and his lips were downturned sympathetically. His emerald green eyes were soft and doleful. “God, I’m so sorry, Mara. If I had known...”

“What would you have done? Loaned me money that I didn’t want? Have a girl you’ve known for a day move in with you? There’s nothing you would have done, Harry,” I spat. I wiped my eyes, the free falling tears staining the eviction notice.

Harry sighed, “Wanna move in with me, Mar? I get that you don’t want charity because no one does, but you’re getting kicked out of your apartment building. You’re behind on rent for a few months, from what I see of that stack of papers, but you need a place to stay. I’m not letting you live on the street.”

I stood up and walked around the counter. I hugged Harry tightly, “Thanks, Harry. Thank you so much.”

He wrapped his arms around me, “You’re welcome, love. Anything you need, I’ll be here.”

“You’re still not getting any, Harry.”

He shrugged when we parted, “That’s fine with me. I just like that you’re calling me by my first name instead of Curly.”

I smiled, “It’s part of me being nice. I’m calling everyone by their real names now.”

Harry grinned, his dimples showing, “I like nice Mara.”

“Good,” I poked his stomach before I stood behind the counter again. “Nice Mara is here to stay.”
♠ ♠ ♠
How are you feeling about this chapter, eh? :) What do you think of Harry in this chapter? ;)