Status: Updating once a week (at least)

Friendly Faces Everywhere

01

“The school board is so stupid. South Park is for lame kids and rednecks, Middle Park is where it’s all at. Like seriously, South Park High is the last place I want to go to high school at. Even North Park High is better than this dump. Who does the school board think they are, changing the boundaries for high schools? Our neighbor, Token Black, has always gone to South Park schools, but that was just because the school board wanted diversity in their school program. This is ridiculous. For my first two years of high school I managed to stay at Middle Park High, but now I have to attend school with a whole bunch of redneck white kids. Mom, are you even listening to me?”

“I am sure you’ll be fine Bree. Remember, you have Token. Aren’t some of your other friends from Middle Park getting moved too? Everything will turn out fine honey,” my mom reassured me as she drove me to my new school.

She stopped the car for a few moments, allowed my little sister, Kate to jump out. “Have fun at school dear!” my mother waved goodbye. I slumped in the passenger seat. Kate was in kindergarten, so she didn’t have the problem of having to make completely new friends, unlike me. I groaned and took my iPhone out of my purse.

“Is everyone going to be super poor here?” I asked.

“Well, most of them won’t be as affluent as we are, honey. But that’s completely okay. Remember, you have Token. He’s not poor.”

“You don’t have to keep reminding me,” I growled. To my luck, three of my friends from the swim team at Middle Park are getting transferred as well. My phone buzzed.

“See, that’s probably one of your friends waiting for you to come to your new school,” my mom smiled.

I checked my phone. My mom was right; it was from my Asian friend, Katherine. It read “When are you coming? So many rednecks!”

“See mom, even Katherine thinks everyone there is white trash. And she’s Asian, and that makes her automatically tolerant to all races!” I groaned.

“Oh look, we’re here! Bye honey,” my mom said, pushing me toward the car door.

I hopped out of the car, grabbing my purse and binder on the way out. Since I was new, I assumed I had to go to the office to get my schedule and locker. I pushed my way through a crowd of kids, with occasional eyes on me. “Poor, poor, poor,” I thought. I glanced around for the office building, and my eyes immediately caught sight of it. The office had huge letters over it reading its name, so I made my way inside. I walked up to a couple of administrators.

“Hi, my name is Brianna Bower. I am one of the transfers from Middle Park High. Is this where I go to get my schedule?” I asked politely.
“No, but I can take you to where you get them. Here, follow me sweetheart,” an older woman commanded. I followed her through a hallway to a room that read “Counselor” above it. “Mr. Mackey, we have a transfer student for you,” the woman peeked into the room.

I made my way into a fairly large room. There were a handful of seats in the middle of the room, and a man with a large head sat at the desk. “Excuse me, could you please get my schedule and locker for me?” I asked politely. A bell began to ring.

“I’ll excuse you for being late to class m’kay? What’s your name?”

“Brianna Bower.”

“M’kay. I’ll print this paper out; it has all of your information for your classes. You can get your books with the freshman, fourth period today m’kay. I’ll get a class aid to escort you to your first class. It’s a fairly small school, so you’ll have a hard time getting lost m’kay,” Mackey informed me. His m’kays were really starting to bother me.

“M’kay thanks,” I said, faking a smile and taking the sheet. It had my school ID, locker number and class schedule written on it.

“This is Heidi Turner m’kay. She’ll take you to your first class m’kay. Have fun!” Mr. Mackey said, as he escorted me out of his office.

A girl with mid-length light brown hair waved at me. As I gathered my belongings, I rolled my eyes. Just some more rednecks I have to deal with.

“Hi, I’m Heidi! Welcome to South Park High! Did you just move here?” she asked.

“No, I used to go to Middle Park High. The boundaries for the school changed, so now I go here. Yippee,” I said sarcastically.

“Oh, don’t sound too excited. Let me see your schedule really quick.”

I handed her the piece of paper.

“Oh look at that, you have the same third and fifth period as me! It looks like I’ll be seeing you around. This school is tiny, so I would probably see you around anyways.”

She was right. As she walked me to my first class (AP Environmental Science), we only passed two small buildings.

“Here you go, C103!” Heidi showed me the room.

“Thanks, see you around!” I took a deep breath and made my way to the door. I checked my schedule one more time to see the teacher’s name. Mr. Carter: Period 1: C103: AP EnvironScien. I grumbled and opened the door.

The entire class went silent. The teacher was sitting at his desk, reading the newspaper. I quickly made my way to where he was. I could feel all of the student’s eyes on me.

“You must be our new student,” Mr. Carter said, beginning to stand up. “Class, we have a new student!” he said to the class. “Introduce yourself,” he whispered.

“Hi everyone! I’m Bree and I had to go here because apparently nobody in Middle Park wanted me anymore!”

“That’s an interesting fact, Bree. Now you can go sit in that open seat next to Craig. Craig, raise your hand.”

I made my way to the desk in front of a boy wearing a blue chullo hat.

“Hey new kid, I’m Craig Tucker!” the boy greeted as I sat down.

“My name’s Bree. Are you a redneck like the rest of the people in the town?” I asked.

“I hope not. At least, I don’t act like one. Why, are you one?”

“Oh my god, why would you even ask something like that? Do you I look like a redneck to you?” I gasped.

“That’s enough socializing for you Bree, we have an assignment. Ask someone for the details,” Mr. Carter instructed.

I tapped on the kid in front of me. He was wearing a bright green ushanka, and an orange coat. He had locks of auburn red hair falling out of his hat.

“Hi! What are we doing?” I asked, with a smile. The kid turned around and smiled back.

“Read Chapter 1 and do all of the section reviews,” he instructed.

“I don’t have a book. Can we share? Sorry kid,” I asked.

“It’s cool, and my name is Kyle.”

Kyle adjusted his body so he was facing me, and put his book on my desk. I got out a piece of paper and a pencil and started to do bookwork.

“So, why does nobody want you in Middle Park?” Kyle asked with a mischievous grin.

“Oh, it’s not really the people there; it’s just that the school board changed the boundaries for the schools. If you know who Token Black is, that’s my neighbor.”

“Oh sweet, I talk to Token sometimes. I used to go to his house all the time in elementary school. He’s pretty rich,” Kyle commented.

“Yeah, almost as rich as my family,” I giggled.

“My dad is a lawyer, and there was this one time in 4th grade where we were millionaires. And then he got sued for suing too many people, so now my family is average again,” Kyle said, smiling. The bell rang, and I packed up my work. “Who do you have second period?”

I glanced at my schedule. “Mrs. Martin. Do you know anything about her?”

“No way, I have her for AP US History too! We can sit together in that class again if you want!”

“Why not?” I smiled. For a redneck South Park kid, Kyle was pretty sweet. I followed him through a crowd of kids until we reached another classroom. B104, the sign outside read. I followed Kyle into the classroom, where he sat down next to a muscular kid wearing a blue and red beanie.

“Bree, this is my best friend, Stan. Stan meet Bree,” Kyle introduced.

My eyes traced over Stan. He was simply gorgeous. His hair was shaggy styled black, covered in a beanie. He had these piercing blue eyes, and great cheekbones. My jaw almost dropped when I saw him.

“Hi, nice to meet you,” he offered his hand. I shook it with content and smiled at him. He smiled back, and I could feel the butterflies in my stomach. Kyle sat behind the gorgeous boy, and I sat to the left of Kyle. That Craig kid walked through the door and sat behind me again.

“Hey new girl, long time no see,” Craig smirked.

“I know, totally!” I giggled. The boy looked didn’t look amused.

The teacher, Mrs. Martin, did her job of explaining our work for the day. Kyle happily shared his book with me for the second time that day. “Thanks so much for sharing your books with me Kyle! It means a lot,” I smiled.

“Anytime! Here, can I get your number so maybe we can work on this homework together later?” he asked.

“Sure!” I replied, writing down my phone number on the palm of his hand. “Can I see your schedule? So I can see what classes we have together.” I grabbed his binder and compared our schedules. “We have our first, second and fifth periods together,” I looked up, smiling at him. The bell began to ring.

“I wish we had more together. I’ll text you,” he said while packing up. “Stan and I can walk you to your next class if you want,” Kyle proposed.

“Thanks so much!” I smiled, giving him a hug. Even though I just met this kid, I had a feeling we would become very good friends. “My next class is in C101, does that mean it’s right next to our other class?”

“Pretty close, Stan and I will still walk you there though, since we’re nice like that,” Kyle smiled.

“So, do you play any sports Bree?” Stan asked me. His voice was that of an angel, it made me want to melt. I had a feeling I wasn’t the only girl who felt this way though. As we were walking through the halls, a lot of random girls were giving me this uncertain look. I rolled my eyes at them.

“I was actually a varsity swimmer at Middle Park High!” I replied giddily. “What about you guys?”

“I’m on varsity basketball, Stan’s on JV football,” Kyle replied. “Stan’s our star quarterback.” So he’s a jock, just my type.

“That’s cool for both of you,” I said, pretending like I was interested. I knew that was important when trying to make friends. We stopped in front of a classroom.

“Well bye Bree, see you at lunch!” Stan said with a smile. My eyes glanced at him, longing for him to stay.

“See you guys!” I replied, giving Kyle a hug. I sighed and made my way into this next class.