Sequel: Our Day Will Come
Status: Finished...and the sequel has begun.

Womanizer

XXII.

"This was a bad idea." Megan sighed, tucking a loose strand of her crimson hair behind her ear. "Fuck."

"The coffee isn't helping?" Brian said. There was the faintest trace of sympathy in his voice.

"Well, let's see. The coffee is all alone, battling not only sleep deprivation, but also the arctic winds of November in Alabama and a hangover. So, yeah, I'd say the coffee isn't helping."

Brian ducked his head to hide his grin. Under normal circumstances, Megan would appreciate the humor of her statement. This morning, however, she wasn't exactly in high spirits and any sign of cheerfulness could result in an attack.

"We can leave," Brian offered.

The Alabama fans gathered for the parade were being exceptionally loud. Brian couldn't blame them, yet he knew that the noise must be torture for Megan's pounding head. She had sunglasses on to guard against the bright morning sunlight. A scarf, gloves, and a heavy coat were battling the cold. But there was nothing she could use for defense against the onslaught of sound.

She grimaced. "Yeah, okay. Let's go."

Brian grabbed her free hand and began navigating a path through the mob of excited fans. Once they'd made it through the sea of bodies, Brian dropped her hand and dug out a pack of cigarettes.

"What do you want to do?" he asked, sticking a cigarette between his lips and rummaging in his pockets for a lighter.

"Sleep for a thousand years." She downed the rest of her coffee and tossed the insulated cup into a nearby trash receptacle. Jamming her gloved hands into the pockets of her coat, she looked at him. "I dunno. What do you want to do?"

"Are you hungry?" Brian had voiced this question once already. Megan had shaken her head, complaining that she was too nauseated to eat anything.

This time, Megan lifted a shoulder. "Maybe a little."

Succeeding in finding his lighter, Brian paused to light his cigarette. "You really need to get some food on your stomach. You're just going to feel worse if you don't."

"Fine, Dad. Feed me."

The two of them strolled to the car and climbed in. Traffic was madness, but they eventually reached a Denny's that wasn't too far from the campus. They lingered outside long enough for Brian to finish his cigarette.

Seated in a corner booth, Megan immediately ordered another cup of coffee. Brian got water.

The smells of various foods being cooked stirred Megan's hunger. She had decided on her meal by the time the waitress brought their drinks.

"A waffle," she said. "And bacon."

Brian's dark eyes glittered with amusement. "Pancakes and sausage."

"You just have to be different, don't ya?" Megan teased.

The waitress hurried away after promising that it wouldn't be too long. The place was packed and that promise would probably be broken. Megan didn't care, though. This second cup of coffee and the mouthwatering scents in the air had revived her.

"I've gotta give it to Alabama fans," Brian commented. "They're pretty fucking crazy."

"That's because we know our team is the best," Megan said. "Who has more National Titles than us? Who has played in more bowl games than us? Who has--"

"I get it," Brian cut in with a chuckle. "You guys kick ass."

"We've been off for a few years," Megan admitted. "But Saban has brought new life to the team. We're going to have another National Title soon. If not this season, then next. Mark my words."

"If Bama doesn't get it this year, I guess you and I will have to keep up the Saturday tradition next season."

"Definitely. We should anyway."

"If circumstances permit it, we will."

Megan smiled. "Good."

The waitress returned at that moment and set their plates in front of them.

"You know," Megan said, seizing the syrup before Brian could. "You still need to learn the 'Rammer Jammer' cheer. It's really simple."

"So teach it to me."

Megan handed him the syrup. "As soon as breakfast is over."

**********

The roar of the crowd was deafening. There were two minutes left in the game and Alabama was up 35-0. The spectators could safely say this one was in the bag.

"A Homecoming victory," Brian said as the two teams fell into formation. "We should celebrate."

Megan eyed him. "What did you have in mind?"

"Dinner and drinks?"

Megan moaned dramatically. "Drinks? I do not want a repeat of last night."

"Then pace yourself, silly. Besides, there will be food this time."

"I thought we were driving back tonight."

"Do you want to?"

Megan met his dark eyes. Another night alone with Bri in the hotel room? There were worse ways she could spend her evening. But I have to work tomorrow morning at eleven.

"I don't want to," Megan said regretfully. "I need to, though. My shift starts at eleven. We'd have to get up early--again--to make it home in time, so drinking tonight would be a really bad idea."

"Oh yeah. I forgot about your job."

"Of course you did. It's easy for you, oh rock star god, to forget that I am a worthless peon who slaves away for minimum wage."

Brian rolled his eyes. "Drama queen."

"Fuck you!"

"Is that an invitation?"

"Ugh! Down, boy."

"Shut up! The game's over."

Megan looked back at the field to see it being flooded with supporters clad in crimson and white. She'd been so caught up in the playful argument with Brian that she hadn't noticed the clock running out.

The fans were enthusiastically bellowing the "Rammer Jammer" cheer:

"Hey, Red Wolves! Hey, Red Wolves! Hey, Red Wolves!
We just beat the hell outta you!
Rammer Jammer, yellowhammer, give 'em hell, Alabama!"


Brian laughed. "I thought you said they'd banned it?"

Megan shrugged. "They tried. They failed."

"Do you want to go congratulate John?" Brian questioned.

Megan nodded. The two of them made their way onto the field. Megan had to fight her way through the pumped up crowd to where John was being interviewed. She waited until the interview had been wrapped up, then touched John's arm to gain his attention.

"Hey!" He scooped her up and twirled her in a circle.

"Hey yourself! Great game!"

He set her down. "Thank you. Are y'all gonna hang around? We might go out to celebrate later."

"We can't," Megan told him. "I have to work in the morning."

John frowned. "That sucks."

"Yeah."

"Then I'll see you next weekend in Baton Rouge, right?"

"Wouldn't miss it."

Megan and John hugged again. He jogged over to a couple of his teammates and Megan rejoined Brian. They walked out of the stadium, to the rental.

"Who are they playing next?" Brian asked.

"LSU," Megan said. "Which is one of our rivals."

"They're on the road for this one, aren't they?"

"Yep."

"Good. I like road trips."

Megan slept for part of the ride home. They pulled into the driveway around ten. Brian stopped Megan as she was about to open her door.

"I know our wager was that the winner picks the activity and the loser pays," he said. "But...can we maybe change that?"

"To what?"

"I pick the activity and pay."

Megan couldn't help being a bit suspicious. "Why?"

"Just trust me?"

"Okay," Megan relented after a brief hesitation. "You can pick the activity and pay."

Brian smiled. "Great. Let me know when you're free."

Megan got out of the car and hurried inside, her mind racing. What did Brian have planned for their date?
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm not trying to tease y'all, but this is just how the chapter unfolded in my head. I promise, the date will occur in the next chapter. lol.

And yeah, that's our cheer. They did try to make the fans stop using it. I think maybe in the 2008 season it worked...but for the purposes of my story, it didn't. :-)

P.S. -- Wanna read another story? This one features BVB, for those who are fans: Better Than Me .

Special thanks to:

FaBzShadows
punkchick81
sup.jessay
BeenDownThatRoad
JoSynx
Vixyn Of Shadows
bonitalita
MoMo_92
mistery gurl
a.rebel.in.love.97
A7X_Jess

You guys are freakin' amazing! I know I say that a lot, but I can't even explain what it means to me that so many of you love this story enough to take the time to comment <3