Sequel: Our Day Will Come
Status: Finished...and the sequel has begun.

Womanizer

XXIII.

Megan stood in front of her closet, scrutinizing her wardrobe. She was fresh from the shower, wrapped in a towel with her freshly-washed hair dripping water onto her bare shoulders. Her legs had been shaved.

She was getting ready for a date.

A date with Brian.

Even though it wasn't technically a real date, the thought caused her stomach to erupt with butterflies.

She couldn't have chosen a better night. She'd gotten off work at four, she didn't have to work tomorrow, and by some stroke of luck, Janine had felt good enough to go out for dinner and a movie with Zacky. The two of them would never have to know about the "date."

Brian said not to dress up, Megan recalled, reaching in for a pair of black faux-leather pants that were comfortable and looked great on her. These could never be considered "fancy."

She chose a crimson corset that laced up with black ribbon to go with the pants. Brian had seen her first thing in the morning, so there wasn't any need for perfection. Still, she took extra care with her makeup. She piled her hair on top of her head, leaving two strands to frame her face.

Studying her reflection in her full-length mirror for the overall effect, she bit her lip. She snatched up her cell and texted Brian on impulse. "Is a corset appropriate attire?"

He responded within seconds: "Can you move in it? And breathe?"

"Yeah. It's just one of those corset-like tops."

"That's fine. I'll be there in about ten minutes."

Megan applied her favorite lipgloss, slipped on her boots, and grabbed her tiny clutch purse, which held her wallet, keys, lipgloss, and cell phone. She went downstairs to wait.

Brian's knock on the door made her jump and she realized just how nervous she really was. Stupid, she scolded herself. It's just Brian.

She pulled open the door. "Hi."

Brian's eyes flicked down her outfit before resting on her face. He smiled. "Hey. You look great."

"So do you."

He was in a black short-sleeved, button-down shirt and blue jeans. The top few buttons of the shirt were undone, giving a tantalizing glimpse of the perfect golden skin of his chest.

"Ready to go?" he asked.

Megan nodded and stepped out onto the porch beside him, shutting the door. He led the way to the Camaro, which he'd decided to keep for the week and the trip to Baton Rouge on Saturday.

"Where are we going?" she inquired, though she knew he wouldn't tell her.

"It's a surprise."

"Oh, come on! This is a date, not a game."

Brian cast her a sidelong glance, smiling slightly. "Nope. Sorry. I'm not revealing the secret. But I promise you'll like it."

Megan fell silent. There was a feeling of contentment settling over her. Tonight was going to be fun. She was just going to sit back and see where she and Brian would end up.

**********

Megan covered her mouth with her hand to stifle her laughter. Brian was on the floor, wincing and rubbing a spot on his lower back.

They were at the skating rink in Decatur. When they'd turned into the parking lot an hour and a half ago, Megan had been uncertain. Did skating really count as a suitable activity for a date? But she'd been unable to resist Brian's skill in persuasion.

"I am paying for you to have the honor of seeing Synyster Gates, guitarist extraordinaire, bust his ass on skates," he'd said.

"You don't know how to skate?" Megan had said in surprise.

"Not well," he'd admitted, and Megan had immediately agreed that this was a brilliant idea.

Now, Megan was looking down at Brian for the sixth time tonight. He could handle the straightaway; the turns, on the other hand, were not his friends.

"I'm so glad you're having a good time," Brian grumbled, sitting up with a grimace.

"Hey, this was your idea!" Megan said, lowering her hand. She couldn't contain her grin.

Brian flipped her off. "Bitch. At least help me up."

"Bri, you're twice my size!"

"Try." He held up his hand.

Megan sighed and grasped the proffered hand. He gave a sudden tug that brought her down on top of him. She shrieked in protest. Brian was laughing.

"You're a dick, Brian Elwin Haner, Jr.!" Megan shouted, using her free hand to smack him on the shoulder.

She regained her feet and skated away from him. She was almost at the next turn when his fingers closed around her wrist. His breath hit her ear as he leaned in to be heard over the music. Megan shivered.

"I'm tired of being on the floor," he said. "My ass is going to be sore for a week. Can we go?"

Megan giggled. "Yeah, okay. If you want."

They stepped off the planks in unison, Brian wobbling only a bit. The carpet brought their speed to nothing in less than three seconds. They removed their skates and walked sock-footed to the place where they'd left their shoes.

"Are you hungry?" Brian questioned.

"Yes. I haven't eaten since my break at work this morning."

"The restaurant we're going to is in Huntsville. Can you make it without a snack or anything?"

"I'll be fine."

They returned the skates to the employee at the counter and breezed out to the Camaro.

The drive to Huntsville seemed to take no time at all. She and Brian chatted about random subjects--mostly football--and Megan was having such a marvelous time that she wasn't focused on anything else.

Brian guided the Camaro onto the exit into downtown Huntsville. He easily navigated the streets and they were soon parked within walking distance of Big Spring Park. Brian rounded the front of the car and linked his fingers loosely with hers.

Megan wondered where they were going. She'd never been to any of the restaurants in this area, except for the one right around the corner from Crossroads Music Hall. Maybe a picnic? she mused, glancing towards the park.

However, Brian was ushering her to a nondescript, rundown brick building across the street from the park.

Megan hesitated. "Brian, what--?"

"Trust me." He held the door open for her and she went inside.

She was surprised to discover that despite its appearance, the building housed a nice dining area. It was fairly crowded. The lighting was dim and the only sounds were muted conversations and the clink of cutlery.

Megan looked at Brian, who was standing at her elbow. "I'm impressed."

"And I haven't even shown you the best part."

A man in a tux approached them. He and Brian exchanged a few murmured words, then Brian again grabbed Megan's hand.

They passed the expansive dining area, to a doorway at the back of the room. A narrow flight of stairs carried them to the roof.

Megan's jaw dropped. The entire rooftop was adorned with rose bushes in which were weaved white lights. At the corner, overlooking the street and Big Spring Park, was a table. They would be dining by candlelight.

"Bri." Megan was practically speechless. "It's...beautiful."

"You're not going to be too cold, are you?"

"No. It's actually not that bad tonight."

"Awesome." Brian's relief was obvious.

They sat at the table. The view was spectacular. The park was lit by only the occasional streetlamp and the surface of the pond glittered like a thousand diamonds against a black background.

"This is really amazing, Bri," Megan said.

"It was nothing."

"I guess not. You are Synyster Gates, after all."

Brian smirked. "Exactly."

The food was perfect, some of the best Megan had ever had. She and Brian never ran out of things to talk about. And all too soon, it was over.

The drive back to Zacky and Janine's house was mostly silent. Megan was thinking. Finally, just before they got to their destination, Megan spoke.

"Why did you do all of this, Bri?"

"Uh, because I lost the bet."

"No. That's not it. You went way beyond expectations." She regarded him speculatively. "So...what do you expect?"

"Nothing."

"You know, I was drunk in Tuscaloosa, but I remember what I told you."

Brian frowned. "Okay. And?"

"I told you I'd never been taken anywhere nice on a date. I also told you that the guys who didn't take me somewhere nice didn't get anything." Megan narrowed her eyes. "You thought that you would seem all sweet, remembering what I said. That you'd do something special for me and, unlike all those assholes, you'd get somewhere with me."

They had just turned into the driveway. Brian killed the engine and twisted enough to face Megan. "Are you done?"

Glaring at him suspiciously, she nodded.

Brian moved before she could react. He managed to get his hand curved along the back of her neck, just like the first time. He leaned in and claimed her lips in a kiss.

Megan broke away. "You're proving me right!"

"Shut up." He kissed her again.

It felt good. It felt perfect. There was no way Megan could resist.

Giving in, she kissed him back.
♠ ♠ ♠
This chapter didn't really turn out the way I'd originally planned, but I'm pretty happy with it. And y'all can guess what will happen next...I don't even know at this point. Maybe your guesses will give me some ideas. :-)

Special thanks to:

sup.jessay
JoSynx
FaBzShadows
BeenDownThatRoad
Vixyn Of Shadows
MoMo_92
a.rebel.in.love.97
A7X_Jess
SabbyFreakShow

I can't promise an update "soon" or whatever. I'm debating how the next chapter starts and, like I said, I might need your ideas to help me. But I'll TRY my best to have one up by the end of the week--Friday afternoon, since I'll probably be busy both Friday and Saturday nights.