Under the Lights

chit, chit, chatter.

As I had suspected, I was the unofficial coffee lackey at Rage Magazine for my first month of working there. I had seen enough movies to know that the new person is always the one that's stuck with fetching drinks and food and doing any other chores that were thrust upon them since they were simply, the newbie. I didn't really mind it though, I mean, I was working at the Rage Magazine!

When I saw the ad online about how they were seeking new writers, I jumped at the chance. We had to write a ten thousand word essay about why we wanted to work there, what we could bring to the team and what we hoped to accomplish there as well as in the future. I had never written so much in my life as I did for that essay. I went way over ten thousand words which my brother had made fun of me for, calling me an over achiever but, seeing how I was now able to scan my I.D. on my lanyard and put 'Rage Magazine' under my place of employment on Facebook, I'd say I did something right.

When I got the email from KristinRage@hotmail.com with the subject line Welcome to the team, Tess!, I all but threw my laptop and screamed, causing my brother Dustin and his wife Amy to run into my room holding kitchen utensils as if I was in some sort of danger. I immediately began apartment hunting, or flat hunting I should say. I found a nice one with two bedrooms that was clean and only a few blocks from Rage. I had two months to get a place, get a passport, get a plane ticket and pack my things.

Dustin and Amy saw me off at the airport and Amy cried which was really touching. Dustin even teared up a little which is what really made me bawl. After our little cry fest at JFK, I boarded the plane and took off for glorious London, England. The ride was tedious and long but once I got there, it was totally worth it. I felt like a lame tourist but, I mean who couldn't gape at it all. London was perfect.

Now, a month later I was living in my cozy flat, I had my dream job, even if it wasn't exactly what I wanted yet, and I had a friend. I had hit it off really quickly with Gabriela who was in charge of helping me get established. I didn't exactly know why she, being a photographer and me, being a writer, were stuck together but I was grateful. She was my age and the opposite of me but, she was one of the nicest and most fun girls I had known. Much cooler than any of the girls I had been friends with back in high school.

"Tell me again why we're sitting here," Gabriela mumbled to Rachelle who was sitting next to her. We had been called into a meeting this morning and our boss, Lydia, had allowed us to all pile into the lounge. This was one of the many reasons I loved Rage. The relaxed atmosphere almost made it seem like more of a hang out than an actual job.

"Lydia wants to discuss some big project with us." Rachelle answered her as she picked off the poppy seeds on her bagel.

Gabriela groaned and let her head loll back on the back of the couch. "But I have photos from the Ed Sheeran show from last weekend to edit! What are the chances that this meeting even has anything to do with us? If it really is some huge project, she'll probably just assign it to some senior writers and photographers." Rachelle flicked a poppy seed into Gabriela's open mouth, making her gasp. "What if I was allergic to poppy seeds?!"

"Then you'd be dead." Rachelle shrugged and began laughing, earning her a pinch in the arm from Gabriela. The two began poking each other and I just laughed, shaking my head. All of the socialization died down once Lydia breezed into the room, waving at us all.

Lydia Bennett was the most physically intimidating British woman I had ever met. She was in her late thirties, about 5’10, had piercing green eyes, ink black hair that she always kept in a tight bun, and if you just glanced at her for a few seconds, you'd see the seemingly permanent sneer on her face. I was personally terrified when I first met her. I expected her to be some sort of tyrant but, she was just the opposite. She had a brilliant sense of humor, she was as sweet as pie and just an overall good person.

"Listen up, people! I have huge news to reveal. I have been on the phone for the past few days finalizing some things and talking to some big people and I am proud to announce that Rage Magazine will be doing their first ever, documentary piece!" A few people clapped hesitantly and I heard Rachelle mumble a 'what the hell' to herself. "Judging by the looks on your faces, none of you know what I'm even talking about." Lydia clapped her hands together and walked over to the food table and snatched up a crepe. "Bottom line is, two of you will be following around an artist on their tour, filming and snapping pictures of them. In other words, you will be documenting them. I'm putting a photographer on it as well as a writer to take notes and we're going to be running a blog for you to keep our readers updated on what's going on." There were a few excited murmurs amongst everyone when she finished her explanation.

"Well what band is it?" Mindy, one of the senior writers asked.

Lydia chewed the piece of crepe in her mouth slowly, building dramatic effect. "One Direction!" she exclaimed once she swallowed. Everyone in the room let out surprised gasps and small squeals. This time, Rachelle's 'what the hell' was audible and Gabriela almost dropped her coffee. I just stared at Lydia wide eyed. One Direction is only the biggest freaking boy band in the world! I was unashamed to say that I was pretty much in love with them. You could even call me a Directioner if you wanted.

"Did you pick the two people who'd be the documenting reporters?" Mindy asked again, nearly falling out of her seat.

A smile slowly made its way onto Lydia's face. "I sure did." Her eyes scanned the room teasingly until they landed directly on Gabriela and I. "Gabriela, Tess, I hope you two like One Direction."

"Are you serious?!" Gabriela sprung up from her seat and gaped at Lydia.

"I am completely serious. This is our first ever project of this caliber so I decided to pick the newest reporters to tackle this and since you've been here for just about two years and Tess has been here only a month, I decided you'd both be perfect for the job. You can finish your breakfast then come meet me in my office so I can give you the run down." And with that, Lydia turned on her impossibly high heels and clacked out of the lounge.

"Holy shiy! You guys are going on tour with One Direction!" Rachelle grabbed Gabriela and I's hands and did some sort of dance while yanking our arms.

"Not if I don't have my arm still intact I won’t!" Gabriela snapped, pulling her hand from Rachelle's iron grip.

"Sorry. But this is like, the opportunity of a lifetime! You're going to be breathing the same air as five of the sexiest mofos on this planet! Tess, how does that make you feel?!" Rachelle grabbed my shoulders and shook me, making my coffee jostle in its cup.

"Um...happy?"

"Happy?! You should be more than happy! Be thrilled! Be ecstatic! Be jubilant! Be something!"

"What do you want me to do? Throw my coffee in the air, scream like a banshee and streak down the hallways while singing 'One Thing'?"

"That'd be a start!"

I rolled my eyes and pulled away from Rachelle. To be honest, I was extremely happy about this. I loved One Direction almost as much as I loved breathing but, fangirling wasn't very professional. Besides, I usually save that type of stuff for Tumblr or for the privacy of my own room.

"Well, we'll leave you here to rip your hair out while we go and see Lydia." Gabriela looped her arm through mine and we headed out towards the elevators and to the third floor where Lydia's office was located. Gabriela knocked on the door and Lydia's voice beckoned us in.

"Girls! Sit, sit. We have a few things to go over." We sat ourselves on the two plush chairs she had in front of her desk as she glanced over a few papers on her desk. "First of all, congratulations! I picked you two out specifically so make sure you don't let me down, yeah?" She slid a paper and pens over to us. "I need you both to sign that. It's a confidentiality agreement. The band doesn't go on tour for another two weeks so you have time to pack. It's a two and a half month tour around Europe so you won't be too far from home. You'll be meeting with the band and their management the day before the first show to sign some more legal confidentiality mumbo jumbo and properly meet the boys. Then, you'll probably be whisked off to some hotel to get settled or whatever. Any questions so far?"

"Um, what are the confidentiality papers for?" I couldn't help but ask. I hoped I didn't sound too much like an idiot.

"Just so you don't reveal things that their management doesn't want brought to the public eye.” She waved her hand dismissively then smiled at us. “Now, for the real business part. Gabriela, I want you to take snapshots of the boys before they perform, while they perform and behind the scenes. You don't have to do it every night but, I want lots of pictures! Tess, you will be managing the blog I'm setting up on the Rage website. If you can, every night or every other night or so, log on and post about what you and the boys did that day. Include some of the pictures Gabriela takes. As for the video camera, you both can work that. I want footage of them all of the time unless you are otherwise prohibited. This is a big job girls. While it'll be fun and games sometimes, I also want you two remembering this is for your careers."

Gabriela and I both nodded and slid the document back to her after we signed it. Lydia told us that she'd give me the blog information and provide us with our equipment as the days got closer for us to head out with the boys. She told us to concentrate on packing for right now and gearing ourselves up mentally for the tour life and whatnot. Gabriela kept gushing over how excited she was and waved Rachelle off when she begged us to give Niall her number. I kept quiet and did exactly what Lydia advised.

I, Tess Moore, was going to be around One Direction 24/7 for two and a half months. I didn't talk much as it was, but I think even if I did, I wouldn't even be able to form words for these things that I was feeling.
♠ ♠ ♠
Chapter title: Stop With The Chatter - Rizzle Kicks

Well hi! So, I'm pretty stoked for this story, if I do say so myself and I hope all of our readers and subscribers are going to enjoy it as much as we enjoy writing it! :)