So Far Away

Due Date

It took us half an hour to get to the hospital. The pain wasn't so bad anymore but what hurt me was the look on Jimmy's face. He was hurting, obviously, and he seemed to regret that he had shouted at me while I was in pain. But, to be honest with you, I was ready to put it all behind.

Well, anyway, I followed mom and Jimmy into the building and they told us to wait for Dr. Berry to arrive. She was my favourite doctor and she had helped pretty much everybody in my family into this world.

When she arrived, they led us into a pretty nice room and told us to wait a little longer.

It would've been okay if it hadn't been 2 in the morning. I was so tired, I was afraid that I would soon fell asleep if anything didn't happen. And by the time the doctor had come into the room, I felt like the baby wasn't even coming anymore.

I mean, I felt fine. I didn't feel like pushing a baby out and I was pretty sure that the baby didn't even want to come out anymore.

”It's not coming,” Dr. Berry said after taking one look at what was between my legs.

”What do you mean, it's not coming?” Jimmy exclaimed, ”Why was she in so much pain, then?”

”I have to figure that out but for now, the baby is not coming. You can go back home and see how it goes. If the pain comes back then give me a call and I'll see what I can do,” she told us.

”But... But I thought I was going to have a granddaughter tonight!” mom exclaimed.

”Your due date isn't until next Monday, right?” the doctor asked me.

I nodded and sat up, rubbing my eyes. God, I was so tired. I didn't give a crap about my due date or the fact that it had been a false alarm. I just wanted to go home, get in bed and sleep for at least 12 hours.

”Well, it seems that the baby could come any day now. I suggest you take it easy and get some rest,” she said, smiled at me and left.

What a nice woman. I mean, we had probably woken her up and she had come all the way to the hospital to see that I wasn't even about to give birth. And yet she had smiled at me and been all lovely.

”Let's go home,” I told everybody and grabbed my bag from the bed. I pulled on my pants and started to leave.

”I cannot believe we came here for nothing,” mom said as we got in the car, ”Rach, you could've at least tried to push the baby out.”

”Mom, I'm pretty sure it doesn't work that way...” I mumbled and that was the last thing I remembered before falling asleep in the car.

I woke up when we got home. Jimmy helped me out of the car and walked me up the stairs and into our bedroom. I got in bed and woke up the next morning, at six, only to feel the same kind of pain in my stomach again.

I managed to get out of the bed but didn't even reach the bathroom before throwing up on the floor. Jimmy woke up to the sound of vomit bursting out of my mouth and turned on the lights.

”Do we have to go back to the hospital?” he mumbled.

I started cleaning up the mess while still being half asleep.

”I don't know,” I mumbled and gave up with the cleaning and just sat down on the floor. I rubbed my eyes and tried to think clearly about the situation and that's when something happened.

My water broke and suddenly my pajama pants were soaking. And that's when I knew that this was it, the baby was really coming.

Too bad I was still half asleep and just sat there for another minute without really realizing what had just happened.

Then, when it hit me, I got up and threw away my pants. I looked at Jimmy who had fallen back asleep even though the lights were on. I walked to him and shook him awake.

”Jimmy. We need to go,” I mumbled before walking to the closet and pulling on some pants. I walked into the bathroom and started brushing my teeth.

After I had finished and went back into our bedroom, I saw Jimmy who was sitting on the bed.

”How do you know that this is the real deal?” he asked me.

”My water broke,” I said.

”You couldn't have picked a better time? I just went to sleep like an hour ago...” he muttered and started pulling on his clothes.

”I don't get to choose when the baby comes,” I muttered and started walking downstairs.

”I hope you would,” he mumbled under his breath as he followed me out of the house and to his car. We got in and he started driving.

”And don't you dare throw up in this car for the second fucking time,” he muttered to me a moment later.

”What do you want me to do? Open up the window and throw up while you're driving?”

”That's better than throwing up on the seats. Do you know how much I paid for this car?”

”No nor do I even care about that. Me and the baby are more important than this car,” I said. He didn't say anything but I was sure that he agreed with me.

We got back to the hospital and this time they gave us a room right away because my water had already broken. I changed into this ugly, pink hospital gown and got in the bed while we waited for the doctor to arrive. Jimmy had decided to lay down on the floor and get some sleep while I did the same, though I was comfortably in a bed.

Our doctor arrived an hour later and examined me and confirmed that the baby was actually coming this time. After she had left the room, we called my sister and mother and let them know that we were having a baby soon. At first mom didn't believe that it was the real deal but after a while she understood that if she didn't get to the hospital, she would miss the birth of her first granddaughter.

Giving birth wasn't nice at all. It hurt like a bitch and I cried and screamed. Even though I had already had a baby, it surprised me how hard work it was. The baby didn't just come out, you know, I had to actually like push it out. At some point I thought I was going to die but I actually didn't die.

It took me 12 hours to get the baby out and once it did come out, I felt like I was on top of the world. There was no better feeling than having the baby in my arms and knowing that I had made that perfect little human.

Jimmy had showed his soft side and shed a few tears as he first got to hold the baby. And that's when I got my trust back and I knew that he would never do anything to hurt his family. He loved us, every single one of us, and he was at that moment showing it. Even if we fought quite often, it didn't really matter because we had made the best thing in the world and we were proud of it.

Now, even though babies were really cute and adorable, I was pretty sure that two kids was enough for me. I didn't want to go through the pregnancy and giving birth ever again. I'd had enough and I was perfectly fine with the fact that I had only two kids. My family was now complete and that was fine with me.

Even though I was really really happy, I couldn't help but be a little worried that I would feel depressed again. It had happened before so why couldn't it happen again?