Status: My first story. This is just something for me to write while I'm developing my other stories.

What Happens in Vegas, Stays in Vegas

The Witching Hour

IT was a quarter to midnight, which was a quarter to noon for me and my kind. I sat at a poker table with a few friends, in a casino called The Witching Hour. It was a popular place for moroi like me in the city of Las Vegas since it was owned by a moroi. Most of the visitors here were moroi infact; tall, slim and pale compared to humans. Dhampirs, half-human half-vampires, were also here, though they were either gaurdians or blood whores. A few groups of humans were here, little did they know they were surrounded by vampires.
I was making a nice lot of money tonight, as usual. I was pretty good at card games since I had a poker face no one could read. I had a pair of three aces and had bet a hundred dollars. Everyone at the table had folded except for Derek, one of my royal moroi friends I hung out with a lot. It was his turn, and as he met my eyes to determine if I was bluffing, I pushed a little bit of my magic out at him. He folded with a low straight and I pulled in the pot with a grin.
Compulsion was a power every vampire had. The ability to push your thoughts into someone else to make them think or do what you wanted them to. It was banned in most places, including a casino like this one. But somehow, I found out I was incredible when it came to wielding compulsion. I wasn't just limited to humans either, but I could even work it on other moroi. I was willing to bet dhampirs too. I was only using a little trickle of compulsion; just enough to make sure my opponent didn't know if I was bluffing, and little enough not to get suspected of using it. It was pretty easy to do by now.
Once I had racked up enough money I left the table and strode over to the bar. I sat down on a stool a few away from some other moroi who looked to be royal as well.
"A Tom Collins," I told the bartender as he came over, my eyes on a moroi girl with a short dress.
"You want it spiked?" he asked.
"No," I replied. 'Spiked' was code for putting a shot of blood in the drink. Some moroi liked it with their alcohol, others only liked it from the source. It tasted much better from the source.
He set my drink down in front of me and I took my eyes away from the girl as I picked it up. I took a sip, then heard someone slip onto the seat beside me.
"Hey there baby, you need some company?"
I glanced over and was a bit surprised to see a human girl sitting there staring at me. She was stunning. For a human, I mean. Her hair was long golden waves that shined even in the dim lighting. Her eyes were a deep ocean blue surrounded by black eyeliner, and her skin was lightly tanned and clear. She wasn't smiling or looking very seductive though.
I gave her a light smile. "Sorry honey. Already got some."
I saw her stare at me for a moment before she looked behind her, following to where my eyes had flickered. I saw her perfect pink lips turn into a slight smile. "Ahh, I see," she said as she looked back at me. "You like the tall, pale and flat-chested."
I fell silent, my lips in a thin smile. Her description of a moroi woman wasn't all that inaccurate. They were tall, thin and pale just like all of us, myself included, but with that they tended to have very modest chests. This human here had some very nice curves to her body, I must admit.
I took a drink of my Tom Collins before I motioned to the bartender. "Get her a martini." She smiled now and I gave her a smile back. "I'm Lev."
"Zahirah," she said.
"Zahirah?"
"Yes. Would you like me to spell it for you?"
I grinned a bit. "No, no. That's alright."
She smirked at me before turning to the bartender as he gave her the martini. She took it from his hand with both of hers, looking up at him with this soft, beautiful smile. "Thank you," she said softly.
He smiled at her and nodded, watching her even after she turned back to me and stopped smiling, I noticed.
I huffed. "You should be thanking me. I bought it for you."
Her eyes widened in mock dismay. "Oooh, is someone jealous?"
"No. Of course not," I said, looking away and taking a drink. I didn't want attention from her anyway. She was human, not moroi. It was a huge taboo to have a relationship with a human. Well, friendship was fine, but anything more was disgusting. Some moroi men did flirt with them though, at places like this and clubs. They never took them home or did anything with them though.
She grinned, lifting her glass to her lips. "Mhm."
I threw a glance at her before I finished my drink and quickly ordered another one. "So, what's a girl like you doing here at this time at night?"
She didn't say anything and I looked at her, seeing her staring down into her martini glass with a hard look in her eyes.
"Hey. Somethin' up?" I pressed after taking a sip of my drink.
She looked at me, giving me a smile. "No. Nothing. Let's just say I'm in the mood for some adventure," she said, moving closer to me.
I grinned at that. "Well, babe. You came to the right place for that."
"Mm, I'm very glad to hear that," she murmured sexily, trailing her fingers up my thigh.