Status: In the process of being written :)

The Prophecy

The Prophecy

“Don't let her get away!”
“Get her, go men go,” screamed a man full of adrenaline. The men tore through the forest, chasing after their pray like wild beasts. Snapping twigs and digging at the dirt with their boots, they zeroed in on the girl. She zipped through the tree's, dodging the beams of light and wheezing hard. She'd been running for hours now, and no end seemed to be in sight. Her dress flew around her, her hair whipping with her agile movements. Dogs barked and lead the horde of men to her by smell. She whimpered in pain as a branch tore at her bare arms once again. The sound of footsteps charged nearer and nearer. Whipping past two oaks she pushed herself to go on, her lungs burning. Her sneakers caught on a large gray stone, and her body slammed onto the ground. The wind she tried to intake simply didn't come in and she lay there, her muscles liquid, trying with all her might to get up.
She screamed in agony and peril, squinting her eyes and lifting her head. The wave of pain left her and she opened her eyelids. Before her was the silhouette of a very large dog. It towered over her and she whimpered in fear, tears of defeat pricking at her eyes. The animal bent it's head down to her level and the moonlight shone upon it's face, illuminating the icy blue eyes. Something in her told her that this was safety, this was a haven. She reached out with the last bit of her strength, her vision stirring, and gently pet his dark brown muzzle. Pleading with her soft sky eyes, she let her hand drop, as her energy finally left her body and she drowned into a deep sea.
Sunlight cracked open her dreary eyes. With her whole body aching terribly she moaned. For a couple seconds, only sunlight filled her hazy vision. Then, it was darkened and all she could see was brown. It was a nice, soft, but dark brown. A flash of blue confused her then a soft sensation. She was suddenly so warm. What was that, she thought, is that a hand? It was no longer brown but a creamy color. Something was wrapped around her and she was warm. She thought of her mother. Tears pricked at her eyes. With her little strength she uttered, “Mama, I'm s-so sorry, I'm sorry, I failed, I failed you!” Then overcome with tears she stopped her confession. Something brushed the wet tears off her face and then she was overcome by fatigue.
The next few days consisted of hazy pieces of sensations and sounds that she experienced. Colors would flash before her vision. She understood very little, but frequently would break down crying and weep to her mother about her failure. One day was a bit clearer than others and she heard something so comforting she reached towards the sound but caught nothing. It was a voice, soft, slow and comforting. It was deep and masculine. It told her everything would be alright and she believed it with all her might, with no evidence to support the voice's proposition. The voice was silent and she wanted to hear it say some more nice things. Then it spoke up again saying that it would take her back home now. She didn't understand what the voice meant but felt herself nod. The next morning, she woke up in her own bed. Getting up slowly she began to gather up the pieces.
Throwing her dirty dress down onto the bathroom floor she walked over to the shower and stepped under the flowing water. It soothed her aching body and relaxed it. She now remembered what happened that night, but didn't remember after she fainted in front of the big dog. “I guess I walked back home or something,” she mused to herself. Though she felt like something was missing she ignored it. After she was clean she called into the school to excuse her absences, because the last day she was at school was Monday and now it was Friday. The school day was already half way over so she decided to drop by after school. Sighing she turned around in her empty kitchen. “I'm sorry Mom,” she said looking at the photograph in the hallway. “I know I live alone but somehow I've been so irresponsible. Big brother made some mistakes but,” she paused and looked down in thought, “I could have done something, so I have fault in it as well.” She kissed the pictures' glass and turned away.
Walking down the back streets of Canary, she headed towards Canary High. Though she felt she was being followed the whole way, she dismissed it to the rustling leaves in the wind. She hummed along to tunes that haven't been widely heard in years, digging the old soul of it. She's always loved old things, and tended to stay away from pop culture. What sounded like footsteps, followed her all the way to the high school. She walked in through the back door and snuck in. Creeping along the hallway she tried to stay concealed, so no one trafficking about would see her, for she didn't know if the news of her troubles had gotten around her town.
Canary was a large town but the rumors carried like that of a small one. Everyone knew just about everyone, or so they thought. Rumors flew like the restless wind. She was thinking of this when someone called, “Kara!”
She turned around and saw her friend, “Oh hi Aden,” she returned.
“Are you okay, where have you been?”
“Uh, nowhere really,” she stumbled.
“So you just floated off into nowhere land and didn't come to school for four days? Come on, tell me,” he pleaded.
“Well, I was sick,” she didn't like to lie but the truth is, she didn't know the truth.
“Oh are you feeling better?”
“Yeah, I'm just here to get my books.”
“Oh let me help you, I know what you missed after all,” he laughed.
“Okay,” she smiled. She liked Aden. They'd been friends for a long time, though they were never truly close. They only hung out a handful of times, yet she regarded him as her friend. Maybe it was because she lacked one.
Walking down the hall, the two friends were silent.
“So Kara,” Aden started.
“Yeah?”
“Never mind.”
“Aw, come on tell me,” she pleaded.
“How come you smell different?”
“Uh, what?”
“Did you change your perfume or something.”
Awkwardly she looked away, “No.”
“Never mind, it's just me.”
“Whatever you say.”
Aden helped her gather her books but ran off as soon as some girl rounded the corner. Sighing she heaved her heavy bag onto her back and trudged out into the autumn air. She walked along the same back streets, her books of knowledge weighing down on her. Huffing, she stopped and dropped her backpack to the ground.
“I'm never missing this much school again,” She proclaimed to herself. She had a tendency to talk to herself after living alone for so long.
When Kara was about four, her mother Elaine, died of cancer. Leaving her and her brother who at that time was fifteen, alone. So Kara and Shilah kept themselves hidden from the government, not wanting to be put into orphanages and separated. On her deathbed their mother told them slowly, “You two must always stick together, for you only have each other in the end.” Two days later, she passed away. They decided to keep their mother's wish and Shilah went into town to find money. At first he begged, but that drew the attention of the local police. Then he turned to selling little things outside of stores. It didn't give him enough so, once he was about seventeen, he began to gamble, in casinos and even in bars. He soon began to owe many angry men large sums of money, but he would always hide himself and never pay anyone he owed. Those angry men became angry casinos, for Shilah had begun to cheat there and win money unfairly. Now, the state was after them, along with those angry men. He tried to keep his little sister safe, in their little shack in the woods, outside of town. Now, as Kara is seventeen and Shilah is twenty eight, he only comes home to give Kara money. He seems to have found a girl with some money and has wooed her enough to let him live with her. With his name still on the property that Kara lives in, those men target her instead now. She's been running and running for a very long time.
Crunching in the orange leaves, Kara bends down to tie her unlaced shoe. The bright sun gives her a nice view of her highly used sneakers until a shadow blocks her view. She looks up confused. There before her is that same silhouette she saw four nights ago. This time the whole wolf is visible. He's large and sitting before Kara, who is kneeling, he towers over her a head and a half taller. His fur is a dark mahogany and his eyes are an intense, icy blue. Though most people would be very afraid of such a large wild beast standing before them, Kara was at ease.
“It's you,” she breathed. The wolf seemed to nod in response.
“Your so....” the wolf was expecting her to exclaim his size, “beautiful!” Surprised the wolf froze, for he had never had such a compliment. Kara giggled and then asked, “Can I pet you?” The wolf dipped his head low, closing his eyes. Kara cautiously pet the soft fur upon his head. Then, as she scratched behind his ear the wolf let out a breath and tilted his head to the side. Kara laughed at the giant, content wolf. Without warning, his ear twitched and he jumped back. The sound of mens footsteps was introduced before his hyper sensitive ears, but Kara didn't hear a thing. Without another movement, he picked up Kara's backpack, slung it on his back and pulled on Kara's shirt with his mouth, urging her to follow him.
“Hey, hey calm down, what is it?” He pulled harder as the footsteps neared.
Looking into his eyes, Kara understood and she raced beside the wolf, following his quick paws.
They raced through the forest, dodging tree's and branches, following an invisible trail. Suddenly, Kara's little shack came into view, she started to head for it but the wolf urged her eastward. They ran for about five more minutes, but to Kara it seemed like a lifetime. Trailing behind the wolf, she watched him in awe. He was so graceful and his body knew just where to go through this large, unpredictable forest. The sun would shine through the branches and onto his coat, illuminating the deep chocolate. He was so natural, so beautiful, that despite the panicked situation, she smiled.
A large, abandoned looking mansion appeared on top of the hill they were climbing. The large dog picked up the pace and she followed suit. He pawed open the front door and walked inside. The mansion was elegant and old and in it's prime anyone could tell it was magnificent. It had a high ceiling with a mural of two wolves, one golden and one brown, laying together in a snowy forest. The walls were lined with faded and torn wallpaper and there was a staircase to the left that led up to a hallway lined with doors. A double door stood across the foyer that lead to the kitchen.
“Wow,” Kara breathed to herself. The wolf dropped the backpack on the floor and walked over to Kara. He stood there staring at her and Kara stared at him. The dog tilted his head and so did Kara.
“Your not a puppy.” Kara announced looking at the wolf. The wolf nodded his head.
“Your a wolf, but your used to humans?” she questioned. He shook his head no.
“Is it just me?” He closes his eyes to confirm.
“Do you have a name?” He nodded once more.
“You...understand me completely,” Kara mused. She new this was not a normal situation. The wolf took her sleeve in his mouth and gently lead her to the study at the right of the large foyer. The room inside was dark and smelled of dust. The only light came from stained glass window, depicting a woman with flowing golden locks, looking to the side, gazing peacefully at something, holding a white rose. The light from that window shown upon a desk that was covered with books and pages filled with the writings of someone deep in thought. In the center of that desk lay a wooden box, polished and shiny, unlike most of it's dusty companions.
The wolf nudged the box with his nose, telling Kara to open it. She did and what she found was beautiful. Two necklaces lay intertwined. They both contained elongated blue topaz stones, wrapped in a silver metal and strung by a dark brown string. Mesmerized by the beauty, Kara gently touched the stones. A moment later the wolf nudged her from behind. She turned around and being pulled by the large dog, she kneel to the ground. Now the wolf was taller than her and he bent down close to her face and pressed his muzzle to her mouth, in a kiss. Dumbfounded, Kara kept her eyes open only to see the wolf change into a man. The furry muzzle became soft lips pressed against hers. The body standing on four feet was now on two. The man parted, opening his ice blue eyes. Keeping his face close to hers, he gazed into her eyes. In a quick movement he covered her eyes with one hand and taking a cloth, he wrapped it around his uncovered waist.
With his hand off of her eyes, Kara could see the man before her. He was tall, with icy blue eyes and longer, straight, deep brown hair. He had wide, muscular shoulders, his right one showing a long scar.
“Wh-what,” Kara mumbled, her thought process muddled.
The man smiled and spoke for the first time, “Don't be afraid. I don't want to harm you.” He kneel down to her level and tucked a strand of her curly blonde hair behind her ear.
“You were just a w-wolf,” she breathed.
“Yes, and now with your kiss I am a man. I am both a wolf and a man.”
“I...” she trailed off.
“I'll explain. I am a wolf that can change into a human with a kiss. I saved you that night and choose to show you this because of the prophecy.”
“Prophecy?” she questioned.
“In my family runs an ancient prophecy. To our kind, there is one human who can be within our pack. Generally we intermarry within our own pack, but once every one hundred and fifty years, a human is born that is different. They can intermarry with my kind. See that woman,” he gestured towards the stained glass window, “That was the last human like that. For some time now, there hasn't been one, in fact for over three hundred years. All this time, I've been waiting for someone and then I found you.”
“Me?” Kara looked toward the woman in the window, who looked eerily familiar.
“Yes, you can identify the chosen human by the soul within their eyes. It looks the same every time. You have that soul. So, because you are the chosen human, I choose you and saved you. It is said that the chosen human can bring prosperity to the pack or the single wolf she mates with.”
“I...” Kara looked down and away, overwhelmed. She was happy that such a special being choose her but now it seems that he only choose her because she was different, not because of who she really was. He seemed to only be doing this to help himself.
“There are other packs of beings like myself. They will be after you for your prosperity. To show that you are mine, please, wear this necklace,” he gestured towards the wooden box.
“I don't even know your name,” Kara exclaimed.
“I am Conan and your name is Kara.” His voice was so deep and masculine that Kara became flustered when he said her name. Conan approached her, “Please where this necklace, my pack needs the prosperity.” Kara's soft expression changed.
“I don't think I can do that,” she said looking away, trying to hide her anger.
“Why not?”
“I don't know you and how am I supposed to commit myself to someone I barley know and...and...” she paused wondering if she should even say it.
“And what?”
Kara looked up, tears pricking her eyes, “Your only doing this for yourself, this has no feelings. You stole my first kiss, your just- just using me!” She burst then ran out of the room. Conan followed after her.
“Kara, wait!”
She stopped at the front door, angry tears falling from her eyes, why was she so upset? She barely knew this person right?
“Please,” she chocked on her tears, “leave me alone. I don't want to be with a-a monster!” With that she ran out of the mansion and down the hill. Conan was stopped dead in his tracks.
“She called me a monster?” he face fell dark and he walked back in the study. Taking both necklaces he strung one around his neck and held the other in his large hand. Looking to the woman he declared, “You will become mine, I will get the woman of prosperity.”
The next week at school, Kara was still in a bitter mood.
“Kara! Hey!” Aden exclaimed running down the hall to catch up.
“Hi,” she said back in monotone.
“Whats up?”
“Nothing really.”
“Where's your bow to your uniform?”
“Huh?” Kara asked looking down, “Oh, I couldn't find it.” She went to a private school, where she was a scholarship student, meaning she only had to keep up her grades and get high test scores to stay in and not pay the fee like everyone else. Generally, the poorer students were in this program. The private school of course had uniforms. Girls wore green and red plaid skirts with a green blazer, golden buttons, a white v-neck sweater underneath and a red bow on the collar of the sweater. Boys wore red and green plaid pants with the same get up except a red tie instead of bow.
“Don't get in trouble for that!” Aden warned.
“I don't think I will, it happens all the time,” Kara explained.
“You seem to be in a bad mood, I'll leave ya to it,” he said before jogging across the hall to join his circle of friends. Kara sighed and opened her locker. Aden was always doing that, talking to her when he had no one else to talk to, then ditching her once his better friends showed up. She was at least thankful for his half-sincere friendship.
Sitting down in her homeroom desk, Kara opened up the latest novel she was reading. It was a romance about two childhood friends who suddenly fell into a forbidden love. Though it was cheesy, Kara was a sucker for romances and gobbled it all up. She was about to read the kissing scene when the teacher came in.
“Alright people, lets settle down, come on, come on,” eased Mr. Casp. Kara listened intently, because she has always had a liking for Mr. Casp. This helped her with her grades, because she always wanted to impress him.
“Now I have a few announcements to make before we get started. The annual dance has been pushed back a couple months,” the whole class groaned besides Kara, who never even bothered with dances. “Quiet down, quiet down, and secondly, we have a new student in our class today.” The class murmured with interests. In walked a taller boy, sporting the school uniform. He had longer, deep brown hair and he was very handsome. He even pulled off the outfit. His profile was mostly blocked by his hair until he turned to face the class. Standing before them was Conan, his ice blue eyes calm and uninterested. Kara tried to sink down in her desk and blend in but his eyes caught her immediately. “This is Conan June. He'll be your new peer, so please treat him kindly. Ah, Conan, you can take that seat next to Miss Riley,” he said pointing directly at Kara. Trying to hide her discontent she looked down at her desk, making her long blond curls fall before her face.
As soon as the break bell sounded Kara got out of her desk and started to walk away, but a hand grabbed her arm.
“Kara,” a deep voice sounded.
She turned around exasperated, “What?”
“Don't ignore me, I did all this just for you.”
“No, in reality you did this for yourself.” Conan stayed silent. “See?”
“I wanted to be by your side,” out of his pocket he took the necklace.
“Please accept this.”
“I told you to leave me alone Conan. I'm not interested in some...thing, I don't know,” she said trying to hold onto her anger. She could feel the defensive wall around her heart crumble when she looked into those eyes. She turned away, blushing.
“Kara,” he got up from his desk, still holding her arm, “Didn't you feel anything toward me?”
“Nothing,” she lied, tearing from his grasp and storming out of the classroom. Conan stood there motionless, holding the unclaimed necklace. Then his face turned angry and he stalked out of the classroom, for he could see the truth in her eyes.
Charging down the hallway towards the girls bathroom Kara kept her head down. Wham! She ran into somebody and fell to the floor.
“Jeez! Watch were your going,” an angry voice yelled. “Oh look what we got here, it's Riley. Ha ha ha you look poorer every day.” He sneered.
“Shove it Adem,” Kara said getting up.
“Don't talk back to me little girl,” the boy with black eyes and blonde hair threatened. He blocked her path and she sighed.
“Move,” she instructed.
“Make me,” he laughed. Exasperated Kara looked up at Adem. He was a head taller and on the football team. There's no way she could knock him down. Helplessly she tried to go around him, but he only moved.
“Adem, stop picking on her,” a voice instructed. Coner approached them, his gray eyes fierce under his black hair. Coner was this guy Kara grew up with, he stood behind Kara, much taller than her and Adem. Hands up with a sneer on his face, Adem backed away.
“I'm only teasing.”
“Yeah, well I'm not.” Coner said coolly. Adem walked away with a laugh and Kara turned around.
“Thanks Coner,” she said.
“No problem,” he smiled. Kara smiled back and started to turn away but Coner caught her shoulder.
“Ah, hey, you heard about the dance right?”
“Oh, yeah, that's too bad.”
“Well, do you have a date yet for it?”
“For the dance?”
“Yeah,” he smiled.
“I...” Suddenly without warning a hand brushed off Coners and placed itself on her shoulder, “She's going with me.” The deep, calm voice behind her was all too familiar to her now.
She looked back to see Conan, “What?!”
“Isn't that right,” he cooed bringing his face close to hers.
“Oh, sorry Kara,” Coner walked away.
“No, this isn't...!” She stopped, Coner already out of ear shot. She turned on Conan. “Why did you do that?”
“I only told the truth,” he smirked. She narrowed her eyes.
“Your heartless,” she sneered and broke from his grasp, running into the girls bathroom.
“Only because I gave you mine,” Conan said to the closed door.
Walking home Kara pushed her hair out of her face.
“Boys are stupid,” she declared. She was so angry with Conan, being so selfish and using her. She wanted to show him she didn't need him. No other wolf was pursuing her, she could choose who she wanted to be with! Reaching her house she saw men at her door. She ducked behind a tree and held her breath. The government agents stood there without budging. She sneaked off into the forest and ran until she found the pond. Setting down her bag she sat on the ground. “Looks like this is camp tonight,” she sighed.
Looking at her reflection in the water Kara tried to sort her emotions. Admittedly, she was very attracted to Conan, and there was something about him that made her heart beat faster. But he was being such a jerk to her that she hid her feelings and pretended to hate him. She didn't want to fall for some guy who only wanted to use her. Every time she looked at his eyes, she wanted to be enveloped by him. She shook her head, “He's only a supernatural jerk who's using you, don't fall for it Kara!” She fell silent in thought. Suddenly, she heard footsteps and hid behind some bushes. There in the clearing appeared Conan in wolf form.
“You don't have to hide,” he said. It was weird to see a wolf talk. He looked at the bushes she was hiding behind. “Come on out.”
Grudgingly she did, “What do you want?”
“I think we need to talk.”
“I don't.”
“I'm not good with humans, but just, hear me out.”
“I can already guess what your going to say,” Kara sat down on the banks of the pond. Conan walked over to her side.
“No, you can't.” Kara turned her face to Conan.
“I don't know why you even bother, just go find some wolf chick.”
“Kara,” Conan breathed, “Look at me.” She did and before she knew it she was pinned down on the ground by the huge wolf who now pressed his mouth to hers.
Still holding her down, Conan changed into a human. This time though, he didn't part. He pressed his body into Kara and kissed her deeply. He ran his fingers through her hair and breathed her name into her ear. Kara kissed him back, the wall around her heart crumbling further. He kissed her so sweetly and said her name with such emotion, that she embraced the situation and blushed. Finally, after many tender moments had passed Conan broke their kiss.
“The truth is, I've watched you since you were young, though it started as you just being the prophesy's human, it ended up now being like this. I choose you because I wanted to, now the prophecy doesn't matter to me, I want you, Kara, and I need you,” he pleaded. Kara breathed, not knowing how to respond. “Your great grandmother was the last human in the pack, and though your father was also one of my kind, your mother wasn't what he thought she was, and so...”
“He left her,” Kara finished fiercely. “My father is a horrible man. Now I know he was only with her because of the prophecy. I thought that was your intention as well, so I resisted you.”
“It's not,” the moonlight shown upon his deep hair and the crystal necklace around his neck weighted down on her chest. “Please, Kara, I know you feel this, your the one for me. I am not using you. Wear the necklace, be my woman.” His voice spoke of pure promise and emotion.
“Okay,” Kara whispered. Conan smiled and kissed her again, passionately. Running her hands up his bare back, Kara smiled behind their kiss. It was just like the novel she was reading, forbidden love, but in this novel, it was between human and wolf.
The next day at school, Kara wore the stone around her neck, showing that she was Conan's. She smiled as she clutched the beautiful stone in her hand.
“Kara!”
Looking up she saw Aden running to her, “Hi,” she smiled.
“Whats up? Whoa! Look at that!” Aden exclaimed at her necklace.
“It's pretty isn't it,” she beamed.
“Yeah,” Aden reached out to touch it smiling, but as his finger drew nearer to the stone, his smile faltered. His face grew confused and his brow crinkled.
“Kara,” he started.
“Yes?”
“Did someone give this to you?”
“Yes,” she said loosing her cheery tone. Aden looked at her horrified.
“Who? I need to know who gave this to you! Tell me Kara!”
“Jeez, calm down, I'll tell you, it was...”
“Me,” a masculine voice finished. Conan stood by Kara's side, his one hand gently placed on her waist, his other in his pocket. His expression was cool, calm and collected.
Aden glared at Conan.
“You,” he sneered.
“Yes, me, do you have a problem with it?”
“So that's what that smell was.”
“So you're like that huh?” Conan pondered viciously.
“You can't take her.”
“Says who?”
“Says me. She's mine,” Aden declared. Suddenly Conan's body became rigid and he shifted his stance to place Kara behind him, keeping a hand on her at all times.
“She's my woman. Your just her lousy friend that always runs off when someone else comes along. You're just using her,” Conan sneered. Kara stood there dumbfounded, how did he know all this? He just transferred here! Then Conan's statement from last night came to mind, he had said he watched her since she was young.
Aden laughed, “I've always actually been by her side. You've just been sitting at the sidelines. I've helped her when she was down.”
“Oh really, give me an example. Were you the warm blanket that kept her warm as she wept for her mother? Hm?” Conan sneered into his face.
“Guys, stop this,” Kara said stepping out from behind Conan. She stood between the two boys her body pressed against Conan's. Aden grimaced.
“This isn't over. We'll settle this the traditional way.”
“Can't wait,” Conan said with a smile. Aden stalked off.
“What was that all about?” Kara asked looking up at the triumphant wolf.
“It's wolf business,” he said casually.
“Wait, no, Aden is human.”
“I can smell it Kara, he's not human.”
“W-what?” She looked down and covered her mouth. The friend that she grew up with was a wolf? How many other people does she know are wolves? Conan smoothed her hair and brought her close.
“Hey, are you okay, do you need to sit down?” Kara shook her head.
“I'm sorry this is big news,” Conan apologized, “Here, follow me.” He took her by the waist and led her away.
Opening the door to the swimming pool, Kara was met with the smell of chlorine. “We should be alone in here,” Conan mused. The pool wasn't open at the time so the lights were off. He led her over to a wall and they sat down. Kara shivered, still trying to process that Aden was a wolf. Seeing this, Conan pulled her to him and he enveloped her in his arms.
“Kara, I should explain a few things to you. To beings like myself, you are a valuable human. Others like me, wolves that is and other supernatural beings, will pursue you for your gifts. They will use just about any method to get to you. But I won't let that happen. I won't let anyone else have you,” he paused and picked the pendant up, off of her chest,” because I've loved you for so long, that I know your the only girl for me. And with this stone, you show that you are mine,” he murmured into her ear.
“Conan...” Kara trailed off. She was at a loss for words. Conan loved her? How can she suddenly be so special to such a person as him? She was falling into his trap so quickly, and she loved it. Without any more thoughts, she turned around and kissed him with all her pent up feelings for him. Breaking away for a second she declared softly, “I'm sorry I said all those horrible things before. I don't think your a monster and I want to be yours. I don't understand too much at this point, but I'm willing to go through this all, because something in my heart, something in your eyes, it's all just so right, that I want to be with you. Please,” she paused taking his face in her hands, “slowly, but surely, introduce me to your world.” Smiling and brushing a curl out of her face, Conan wrapped his arms around his love, like he dreamed of doing so many times before.
The next sunny morning Kara woke up in a nightgown she hadn't put on herself, in the arms of some man. The sky was above her, reflecting her own true blue eyes. The wind whispered about her face, floating her hair about. Who do these strong arms belong to? She turned around in them to find a slim, muscular torso and a blanket covering up the lower half. Trailing her eyes upwards she found the serene sleeping face of a wolf turned human, Conan. She blushed deeply. What happened last night? As hard as she tried to remember, she simply could not. Kara woke Conan up by kissing his chest above his heart. The arms that wrapped themselves loosely around her now pulled her close. Conan rolled over on top of her smiling devilishly.
“Good morning beautiful,” he murmured above her.
She smiled back, “Good morning.” He embraced her in a passionate kiss, so passionate she let a moan slip form her mouth. Conan stopped kissing her then.
“Just like last night,” he laughed.
“Last night?” she questioned, confused.
“You made that noise last night too, it was wonderful, I'm so glad your mine Kara, I love you.”
“Wait, wait, what did we do last night?”
“Well of course, we...”
Kara sprang awake to her alarm going off. Huffing and puffing in her own bed she slammed her clock until it shut up. Holding her head in her hands she sputtered, “Just a dream, just a dream. I need to stop reading romance novels before bed. Holy...crap.” She got up, hopped in the shower and made herself breakfast and coffee. A knock came to her door.
“Who in the world?” she asked running to the door.
“Good morning beautiful,” Conan said smiling at her doorstep. Kara looked down to make sure she was in her uniform and not in a skimpy nightgown.
“Something wrong?” Conan asked, stepping inside on his own accord.
“Um, no, nothings wrong. What are you doing here?”
“I though we could walk to school together,” he smiled. Conan looked around the little shack. He was a bit disappointed, he felt Kara deserved better. But, then sniffing the air he hopped into the kitchen. There set on the table was a wonderful looking breakfast of french toast, and coffee.
“I didn't know you cooked this well,” he exclaimed.
“This is what happens when you live alone for four years,” she laughed.
“I remember the day your brother left you, it was so hard to see you so sad and not being able to do anything about it.” Conan, sitting at the table, turned his face away from Kara. She sat down across from him and put her hand on his knee.
“You really watched over me, didn't you?”
“Yes, I did,” he said turning to face her now. “It started off as a chore, something I was forced to do by my father, but soon, I couldn't look away. I became entranced by you.”
“How long?”
“What?”
“How long have you been alive?” Kara pushed.
“I knew you'd ask that, but not this soon,” he laughed offhandedly. “I was born two hundred and fifty four years ago.” Kara's hand slipped off his knee, her mouth agape.
“How long do wolves live for? Are you immortal? Are your parents still alive? What...” Kara blabbered.
“Hey, hey, eat your food before it gets cold then you can interrogate me some more,” Conan laughed.
Kara looked down and blushed, “Sorry.”
“I understand,” Conan comforted, “Wolves are interesting beings.”
Walking to school together Kara continued her questions.
“We generally live for one thousand years,” Conan explained.
“So, your not immortal,” Kara concluded.
“No,” he laughed.
“What about your family?”
“My mother died when I was young, and my father, well, I never really knew him. I only got messages from him through others in my pack. He was the head of our pack.”
“Where's your pack now?”
“Ireland.” Conan shifted his eyes to Kara who was looking up at him, interested.
“But, why are you here by yourself?”
“I was sent out here, for you.”
“Me? But your family...” Kara trailed off, thinking hard.
“My family sent me out here for you. I waited for your arrival then watched over you,” Conan explained.
Kara's expression leaked despair, “Because of me, you had to be separated from everyone you love.” Conan stopped walking and took Kara's head in his large hands, his fingers weaving through her hair. Tears were pricking at her eyes.
“Kara, I'm glad I came here. I was never connected to those in my pack like humans are with their families. This happens all the time with my people. Please, don't cry, I hate to see that.” Kara closed her eyes and held onto his arms.
“Okay,” she whispered, “I just don't want to cause you pain. You've already done so much.” He wrapped her in a tight hug.
“Don't worry about me. I'm happy being with you.”
“Ditto,” she murmured into his uniform, smiling.
“Come on, we'll be late,” he said pulling away.
“Oh, yeah,” she said taking his hand and walking onward.
“Hey, I was thinking, we should go on a date.”
“Date?” Kara questioned.
“Yeah,” he smiled, “like something fancy.”
“Oh you don't have to Conan.”
“I want to. Actually, I already did. Well, actually, it's not a date with just the two of us, its more like a formal gathering, of my kind,” he blabbered.
“Oh,” she said struck, “I don't have anything formal to wear.”
“I have something for you,” he smiled.
“You do?”
“Mmhmm,” he smirked looking away.
“Hey, it better not be anything skimpy!”
“Aw, why not, I like skimpy,” he pouted.
“No way.”
“You'll make me sad Kara.”
“Oh, so now your saying that if I don't wear skimpy revealing clothes, you'll be dissatisfied with anything else I wear, hmm?” she countered.
Trapped, Conan laughed, “Alright, fine, fine, you got me. It's not skimpy anyways.”
“Good.” By that time the two were at school and they walked in laughing at each other.
That night Kara was alone in her shack doing homework. Flipping through the pages in her text book, she lay on her floor, immersed in her work. So immersed, in fact, that she didn't hear the approaching footsteps in the forest. She bit her pen in thought and shuffled around her papers when suddenly a man burst through her door. Kara screamed, jumping up.
“Got you now, you sneaky little brat,” a deep voice sneered. Terrified, Kara backed up against the wall.
All she could see of the stout man was his silhouette. In his hand looked to be a long weapon of some kind. Seeing this, Kara burst from her spot and headed for her bedroom door.
“Your not getting away!” screamed the man, running after her.
Kara slammed the door shut and locked it. Looking about her room she tried to catch her breath and find an escape. Her only salvation was a tiny, old window. Grudgingly, she tried to pry it open as the man slammed against the locked door, time and time again. Suddenly the banging stopped.
“Fine, dead or alive I'll take ya.” Kara heard the clicking of the safety coming off on a gun. Just in time she ducked as a shot burst through the door, shattering the window above her. Shards of glass rained down upon her, slicing open her forearm and thigh. Kara screamed out in pain as the man stuck his arm through the hole in the door, reaching for the lock. With quick action, she kicked out the rest of the screen and pushed herself through the shattered window. As she pushed, she screamed in pain because shards of glass were raking along her whole body.
Falling to the ground in a huff, Kara got up, blood spattering the leaves below her. The man trudged across the room and screeched to a halt at the reddened window to see the girl taking off up the hill. Cursing under his breath he backed out of the room and out the front door again, scattering her work around the disheveled shack.
Running up the hill she tried to stay silent as sharp pains eradicated her whole body. She could feel the flow of blood all around her, gravity dragging it out and down. Reaching the top she finally had the mansion in her sight.
“Conan,” she breathed painfully. Then with sudden spirit she screamed, “Conan!” Kara charged up the steep hill a little ways before her vision began to cut off. A shot gun blasted behind her, stirring her wits. Her feet moved, though she did not feel them. With the lasts of her spirit she fell to her knees and wept, feeling the life drain from her body.
“Conan!” She screamed into the earth, her tears falling rapidly. Her body writhed with pain and she ended up on her back, looking up into the night sky. Footsteps approached and she moaned in agony.
Tears flowing down her face she mumbled, “I'm sorry.” The blackness was growing larger and larger by the second.
“Kara! Kara, stay with me, Kara!” Fur brushed her body and hot breath warmed her cold face. Suddenly her world was moving and she was gripping onto furry shoulders. The air became stuffy and then a bright light came on. Water was running and a kiss was planted on her bloodless lips. Brown changed to a cream and hands pulled at her clothes. Bit's of speech broke into the black pond in which she was sinking.
“Heal- wounds- alright?” She recognized the voice and started crying.
“C-Conan, I'm s-sorry, ah! Ouch!” suddenly she writhed with pain. It was her arm.
“Stay still, I'm healing it,” a voice ordered, hands pressing her down. She writhed and fought off the hands.
“Kara, stop! You'll make it worse!” She fought off the hands still, afraid and confused. Suddenly a whole weight was pressed down upon her body and she couldn't move. She whimpered, the pain starting again. Within a couple moments, that black pond began to whither up and her fuzzy vision cleared.
She found herself in a brightly lit bathroom, water running in the tub, her body pressed against a tiled floor. The weight on top of her turned out to be Conan. Most of her clothes, bloody and torn, were to her left, and all she had on now was her tank top and skirt.
“Conan?” She turned her head to where his was, hovering above her pained right arm. He looked up and Kara screamed. Around his mouth was blood, her blood. He clamped his hand over her mouth.
“Shh, don't be afraid, I'm healing your wound.”
“How-how exactly..?”
“My saliva has healing properties. I have to stop the bleeding. The wounds are deep so bear with the pain please.”
“Your-?” Kara's vision may have been clear but her mind was still hazy. He looked away and went back to her arm. She felt his tongue graze her arm then suddenly, pain shot up and all around and she tried to quiet her screams.
This intimate healing process went on for hours, Conan healing all the wounds she had acquired, which turned out to be many. Cuts ran all along both her arms, and legs, with deep cuts on her sides as well. Finally the pain subsided and Kara lay on the floor, exhausted from all the pain.
“There, all better,” he said wiping his mouth. He reached down and brushed some hair out of Kara's face.
“Your should get in the bath and warm up. I'll get some clothes for you.”
“But th-the man, he's out for me and he has a g-gun,” she shivered.
“I'll take care of him,” he assured, “Now get warm, before you catch a cold. You're barely covered up.” Kara looked down to see her tank top slid all the way up to her bra and her skirt hiked up. She blushed deeply and dragged her clothes down.
“I'll set the clothes in the bedroom, come downstairs when you're ready.” With that Conan closed the door.
Kara gently brought herself to her knees and looked into the tub. Clear water, steaming at the surface, filled it's contents. She removed the rest of her clothes and was about to take off her necklace, but on second thought, she pressed it to her chest and sunk herself into the warm water.
Half an hour later Kara walked down the stairs in an oversized white sweater with wooden buttons, and black leggings. Conan was sitting in an old fashioned, cushioned couch. Though her wounds were healed, she was still drained of energy and blood. As she took the fourth step, her knee's buckled and she started to fall. She gripped for the railing but missed it. Just before she hit the ground, there was Conan, catching her up in his arms.
“You alright?”
“Yes, sorry,” she said shakily.
“I think it's best we sleep together tonight,” he explained, helping her down the stairs.
Kara's eyes widened, “Do what now?”
“I mean in the same bed,” he laughed.
“Oh, but that still very...” Kara paused looking for a word, “advanced.”
“It's for your health in any case.”
“What do you mean?” By that time they had reached the end of the stairs and Conan lead her to the couch.
“By embracing a human, wolves can supply them with energy and heal them,” he softly explained, sitting her down.
Kara blushed, “I feel so cared for, it's unusual for me.”
“Your uncomfortable?”
“Honestly, yes,” she admitted. She was used to doing everything for herself with no one else to lean on.
“Oh, in that case,” he trailed off. Without warning, Conan scoped her up in his arms and started carrying her to the bedroom upstairs. He kicked open the door, then shut it, leaving the light off.
“Conan? Ah! What are you doing?” she exclaimed as he flopped her on the bed.
“Making you comfortable,” he smirked, climbing in the bed as well. He suddenly embraced her, kissing her aggressively. Surprised by such passion, Kara pushed him away with a questioning look. Reading this he responded, “Seeing you in that state an hour ago, I really had to control myself, your so adorable and erotic.”
“I'm so what?!” she asked the color draining from her face.
“You heard me,” he murmured, bringing his face closer to hers. It looked as if he were going to kiss her again when he suddenly pulled away. “Ah! What am I doing? Your injured. I'll just heal you, get some sleep.” He hugged her close and didn't say another word. Kara was surprised to find herself disappointed. She wanted to kiss him again but found her will power horribly lacking. She simply couldn't make the first move. Frazzled, she buried her head in his chest.
“Conan.”
“Hm?”
“Thank you,” she paused. “So much, for everything. Your always saving me.”
“Your welcome,” he smiled. Kara looked up at his face. Not knowing what she was doing she reached up and gently touched his face.
“I don't understand,” she breathed.
“What exactly?”
“You.”
“What do you mean?”
“Your, unreal, and so, so....” she crinkled her brow in thought, gazing into his face, “Breathtaking,” she finished. Her hand fell slack and Kara fell fast asleep, comfortable in her lovers arms. Conan softly laughed.
“I should be saying that, I'm the monster.”
The next morning Kara woke up alone. Her blonde curls lay around her in an unorganized manner and her eyes displayed a hazy view of the world. Kara usually took a while to wake up. Not realizing where she was Kara shuffled out of the room and down the staircase. Suddenly a hand caught her shoulder and she jumped.
“Whoa, be careful!”
“Conan? What are you doing here?”
“Um, this would be my home,” he laughed.
“Oh,” she trailed off, looking around to soak in her surroundings.
“Awfully out of it in the morning aren't we?” he smiled.
“No, no,” she denied.
“Okay, then what happened last night?”
“Um....” she tugged on her hair thinking.
“See!” Conan smiled triumphantly. His expression changed when he saw Kara's face. Tears were flowing over her cheeks and she was biting her lips.
“I do remember last night.” Embarrassed she turned away and held onto the banister, trying to gain her composure. Conan came up behind her.
“Hey, hey, Kara, don't do that.”
“Do what, cry?” she scoffed.
“No, turn your crying face away from me.” Kara's eyes widened in surprise and she turned around.
“What?”
“I should be the one you turn to when your crying, not away from.” his blue eyes gazed at her strongly.
“I-I'm sorry,” she mumbled, tears coming again, this time for his sweetness and being angry at herself.
“No, no I'm the one who should be sorry, I made you remember.” he took her in his arms and held her close. Kara was tense at first, always being one to cry alone, but soon, with the help of his easing hand, she broke down and exposed her fear.
“I know, it was very scary, but your safe now, and no matter what, I'm here and I'll protect you,” he whispered into her hair.
After a while Kara was sitting on the couch, reading a newspaper. Conan had gone to run some errands a while a go and told her to stay at his house, so she did. She had no desire to return to her shack. She was afraid of what she might find. In order to distract her mind from that subject she picked up the paper and read the comics in the back. After a while the door opened and Conan walked in with groceries. He was carrying four full paper bags. Kara walked up and grabbed two, following him into the kitchen.
“This sure is a lot of food,” she laughed, helping him unpack.
“Yeah,” he mindlessly responded.
Hearing his tone Kara focused on him, “Something the matter?”
“Well, no, I,” he turned around, his eyes leaking sincerity. Something seemed to be on his mind.
“What is it?” she asked earnestly.
His eyes dropped, “No, nothing.”
“Okay,” she said, a lack of assurance in her tone.
“I hope it's not to sudden but, that gathering, is tonight.”
“Tonight?!” she exclaimed.
“Yeah, so I got some of your things from your home so you could get ready here,” he said putting away celery.
Kara smiled, “Thank you,” she came up behind him and hugged him tight.
“Thank you for everything you've done.”
“Ah, it's no problem,” he said surprised. He turned around in her arms and she smiled up at him.
“I'll pay you back for it all, I promise.”
He smiled and shook his head, “There's no need to do that.”
“In my world there is.”
“You don't have to be so sweet.”
“I could say the same thing,” she murmured, holding onto his shirt now.
His expression became serious and hers soft, as the two felt the moment call to them. He leaned down as she rose to her toes. Each partner closed their eyes and softened their lips. Finally their longing mouths met in a sweet kiss. Tongues floated about and touched each other. Hands and fingers held and griped at the person they longed for. The lovers leaned into one another and breathed into their passionate kisses, fluttering all over. The curious limbs slid around as the two expressed themselves without a single word. At points noises escaped the heart and sighs rang through the quiet afternoon. Conan picked Kara up and put her on the counter, making their head and hearts level. She tucked her legs inside his as he kissed her once more, twice more, thrice more, all with equal loving devotion as the last. He ran his hands up her bare spine as he kissed her neck and Kara sighed, tilting her head backwards. The two became completely mesmerized within the moment, seeing, feeling, touching, only each other.
Hours later Conan knocked on the bathroom door, “Come on Kara, we need to get going!”
“Okay, okay, I'm done,” She huffed opening the door. Conan's expression became dumbfounded as he saw her. Her long curls were over her shoulder in an elegant side ponytail, the blue topaz hung on her neck and the dress he picked out for her, a silky number in soft pink, completed the look that blew his mind.
“What?” she asked as he stayed silent.
“You look so lovely,” he murmured coming closer to her. She smiled and looked down, her lashes brushing her cheeks.
“Thank you.”
“Mhmm.” Conan took her hand and lead her down the stairs. Without warning Kara's vision blurred and she felt faint. She gripped the rail and stared off into the distance.
“Are you alright?”
“Um, I feel really dizzy all of a sudden.”
“It must be all the blood you've lost. We'll take it easy after tonight, okay?”
“Y-yeah,” she stammered, trying to regain focus. Conan put his hand onto her neck, feeling her pulse. Then, he bought his face up to hers and sniffed behind her ear.
“You certainly have a low pulse and less blood than before, I can smell it. I'll talk to the doctor.”
“Who?”
“The pack doctor.”
“Packs have doctors?”
“Yes,” he laughed. “Just hold onto me and you'll be alright. Now, lets get going we'll be late.”
“Your excited to see your kind aren't you,” she smiled weakly.
“Oh, well, it's nice,” he answered, detached. Kara simply smiled, only concentrating on her equilibrium.
Half an hour later they were driving along in the car, silently. Kara tried to even her breathing and keep her eyes open. 'I just have to make it through tonight,' she kept telling herself, 'this is important to him.' Despite her efforts, she grew weaker and weaker by the second. Soon she knew she had to tell him. “Conan,” she uttered, grabbing his knee, “I don't think I can make it.” With her touch he could feel her pulse barely beat underneath her pale skin.
He pressed the gas pedal to the floor and assured, “We'll be there soon and get you to the doctor. I can't explain to a hospital how you've lost so much blood. Hang in there Kara.” Her eyelids flickered up and down as she slipped her hand off his knee. Conan kept watched her from the corner of his eye, and didn't like what he saw. Her skin was so pale and her breathing harsh and shaking.
Conan bolted out of the car one he arrived at the mansion. Opening the door, Kara's unconscious form tipped out. He caught her just before she hit the ground and picked her up in his arms. As he sped towards the door Kara mumbled, “I'm okay.” Conan grimaced and ran into the ballroom. Everyone’s head turned in their direction, some women shrieked, others covered their mouths, and some simply stared.
“Well?” Conan asked exasperated hours later.
“She's going to be alright, she had major amounts of blood gone but with the method I used she should recover” Henry, the family doctor assured.
“What method did you use exactly?”
“Just so you know it was the only thing I could do to save her...”
“Henry” Conan's tone was harsh
The doctor looked down, “I used an ancient technique of wolf magic. I drew an entity into her body to replenish her blood supply.”
His jaw dropped, “An entity?”
“A healing spirit. She has completely taken over Kara's body in order to help her. So, she won't be herself for a while” he trailed of weakly.
“How long is a while?”
“A week at the least. Also, there's one more thing I should warn you about.”
“What” he asked, his temper showing.
“Because the entity is one of our own kind, Kara has developed, um, larger, sharper canines.”
“A-are you serious?”
“I'm afraid so.”
“Can I see her?”
“Yes, just prepare yourself. She'll look about the same but whatever she says is the entity, not her.”
“Yeah, yeah.”
Henry lead Conan down the dim hallway, the bustling noise of the party sneaking past the cracks in the floorboards. The doctor stopped at a door, and removed a key from his pocket. Conan stared in disbelief.
“She needs to be locked in?”
“Y-yes. You'll soon understand.” He opened the door cautiously and stepped in quickly, ushering Conan inside as well. The room was some sort of guest bedroom and sitting in front of a vanity mirror was Kara. She studied her face in the mirror, her brow furrowed. Her eyes flicked to Conan’s reflection. A sneer spread across her face and fangs poked out of her mouth, pressing themselves against her pink lips.
“Is this the boy?” Conan tried to keep his face calm as he heard her voice. It was her voice, certainly, but the icy tone of it nearly cracked his heart.
Henry nodded, “Yes, this is Conan.”
Kara sneered some more and laughed, “How amusing.” She turned around and got up. “He's looks like such a bad boy, but it's so easy to read him. How hilarious, its only a ploy! He's just a little puppy.” Conan stayed silent. She slowly walked over to him placing herself fairly close, and looked up into his tense face. “What's worse, is he wants to simply devour this little girl. Ha ha! He's so tempted, it's pathetic.”
“That's enough” He finally uttered. “Anything else I should know Henry?”
“I'll just give you my number in case anything happens” he said turning around.
“What? I have to go home with this little wolfie? Oh, doctor, your killing me!”
“It's only temporary. As soon as her blood levels are back to normal you can exit her body at once.”
“I better get a good treasure for this one doc.”
“Yes, you will. Just do as Conan says.”
She laughed and licked her fangs, “At least he looks a bit tasty.”
Conan tensed his jaw and took her by the elbow, leading her out the door.
She ripped it out of his grasp. “I can walk you know. I'm not your little pet.”
“Hey! Get me out of this right now! You can't do this to me you little brat!” Kara screamed.
“I can and I will.” he snarled, tightening the grips. After only an hour at home, Conan realized he had to restrain her so that she doesn't get hurt by the reckless entity and so she can rest.
“This is just some sick fantasy huh? Your disgusting, there's nothing attractive about this tiny broad anyways!”
“You should really be quiet” he threatened.
“Oh what, are you gonna do, hit me? Hmm? She can still feel everything that you do to me while I'm inside her” she sneered her fangs shining.
Conan turned away defeated. She was right, no matter what she said, she was still in Kara's body, and he couldn’t lay a harmful hand on her.
“Just be good.”
“I'll be great,” she giggled coldly.
“Coonaaaan, Coooonaaaan, wakey wakey,” a voice called through the cloud of slumber.
“W-what?” He felt a small hand slide up his chest.
“I have a present for you Conan.”
“Kara” he trailed off.
“Come on sleepy head open your eyes” the voice giggled. And he did, only to see Kara sneering above him.
“Kara?”
“I was hungry,” she smiled showing her fangs. Without warning she launched herself onto him and sank her canines into his neck. Immediately, he ripped her off of him and held her down on the bed.
“You damn spirit, don't play me like that.”
Suddenly her eyes became soft and pained, along with her voice, “Conan, your hurting me.” He loosened his grip and stared at her in disbelief. She bust out in hysterical laughter, tipping her head back. Then, her expression became serious and she slowly raised herself off of the bed and got up in Conan's face. “Your too fun little wolfie.”
He got off the bed in a huff and grabbed the phone.
“What are you doing?”
“You'll see soon,” he snarled, holding his neck.
“Your kidding me,” Jake laughed.
“No, I'm not” Conan sighed, “I need you to watch her, while I'm at school.”
“Why are you even bothering with school?”
“She's going to be missing a lot of school, and it's important she keeps her grades up. If I attend I can help her once she's back to normal.”
“Your serious about this one eh?”
“Your really an idiot” Conan laughed at Jake’s joke. He was his best friend and part of the pack. He had short blonde hair and hazel eyes. He knew perfectly well who Kara was, having grown up with Conan.
“Alright, alright, I gotcha, I'll watch over her.”
“Be careful, she's wild.”
“But I thought...”
“The spirit has pretty much made her a completely different person. Keep the restraints and an eye on her at all times, I'll be back soon.” Conan said closing the door.
Jake sighed and turned around. Kara sat on the bed, the restrains pulling her limbs back, a cold smile on her lips.
“Look at this delicious treat he's left me” she giggled playfully.
“Yeah, Yeah spirit just keep it in your pants.”
She laughed throwing her head back,” I would if I wasn't restrained. Maybe you can help me.”
“Nice try, those are staying on.”
Kara pouted, “Your no fun.”
“Just replenish her blood or something” Jake ordered sighing.
“I don't want to hurt you!”
“Oh don't say that I like it rough.”
“Get off of me.”
“You don't want me to I can tell.”
Conan's eyes widened as he listened to the conversation from behind the closed door. He burst through the door to find Jake, on his back holding off Kara from above, who was sneering down into his face, licking her lips.
“Just a taste, come on.” Jake looked over at Conan, his eyes wide.
“Man, I seriously...”
“How did she get out?”
“I don't know I left for a second and then she just pounced on me!” Conan said no more and trudged over to Kara, picked her up and set her back on the bed. As he tied the restraints back on Kara leaned up and licked his face, laughing maniacally.
“Kara” he warned.
“I'm not Kara you brat. Don't call me by that pathetic humans name.”
Jake’s face showed his utter surprise but Conan kept his cool.
“I'm calling the doctor, it's been long enough.” He stormed out of the room. Jake kept on the floor as Kara giggled.
“Well this is unexpected.”
“I'm sorry?” Conan asked, staring at Henry.
He shifted his weight in the hallway, “The spirit has formed a strong attachment. The blood levels are certainly up to par, enough for her to have left awhile ago but, she's stayed.”
“What can we do then?” His brow furrowed in concern.
“Well, from what I know of this ancient method, if the spirit stays too long, the strongest spirit within the vessel will stay and the other will be kicked out, so to speak.”
“So?”
“So, you must talk to Kara and convince her to cut the tie and overrule the entity.”
“But how, only the entity talks.”
“Yes, only the entity talks, but both can hear.”
“What exactly should I say?”
“Just tell her to come out. To reclaim her body, to come back to you,” Henry smiled.
“So the only thing Kara can't do is speak and control her body?”
“Precisely.”
Henry locked the door as Jake and Conan tied Kara to a wooden chair in the middle of the room. All furniture was out of the way.
Jake laughed nervously to Conan in the corner, “This is like an exorcism.”
“Yeah, it pretty much is.”
“Do you think it'll be like the movies?”
“Jake, not the time.”
“Sorry.”
“Okay, boys let's get started. Jake you hold Kara down, Conan get in front of her. I'll stand watch, just in case.”
The men all took their positions around Kara. She sneered knowingly.
“You can begin” Henry ordered.
Conan cleared his throat, “Kara, I know you can hear me sweetie, you have to be the stronger one and kick out the spirit, okay? It'll be okay, we'll help you, just over rule her.”
“This is hopeless, she's a scared little thing, there's nothing you can do, I'm staying here, I'm living again, you can't stop me.”
“Kara, you can do it, your stronger than her, your living, this is your body, take charge of it” Conan urged.
“Try a physical connection” Henry uttered. Gently, he placed his hand on her face, cupping her cheek.
“Come on Kara, come back to me.” Her face became pained and she tried to turn away from Conan's touch.
“It's working,” Jake exclaimed.
“Don't touch me” Kara snarled, whipping her body, her necklace flying off her chest. Catching this with his eye, Conan realized a solution. He picked up his own necklace and placed it upon hers.
“Bring me the spirit in which I am in love. Bring me the one, the spirit who has been the love of wolves for centuries. Give me Kara.”
Suddenly, her head whipped up and her chest heaved. Her mouth opened for barley a second and then her head fell and her shoulders slumped.
“Kara? Kara?” Conan lifted her head up.
She smiled meekly, “Hi.”
Conan's face beamed with a smile and he gathered her up in a hug, just as Jake undid the last restraint. The two embraced, smiling joyously.
“I'm sorry for all the trouble,” she whispered into his neck.
“No, no, it's not your fault” Conan assured.
Jake and Henry cleared their throats. The wolf put the girl back down on the ground and she turned to them.
“I'm sorry, for attacking you earlier. I wasn't myself” She sighed to Jake.
“It's alright,” he said with a surprised smile.
She smiled back, “Thank you,” turning to the doctor she beamed, “And thank you too, so much.”
“It was nothing,” he bowed, gathering up his supplies. “I'll leave you two to your day, shall we Jake?”
“Huh” he said turning around, exiting his day dream into Kara's face. Henry nodded towards the door. “Oh, yeah, later Conan, bye Kara” he smiled.
Later that night Conan held Kara close on the couch.
“I missed you,” he admitted.
“I missed you too, I was so scared.” Kara buried her head into his steadily rising and falling chest.
“Well, it's wasn't you” he comforted.
“But I was. My teeth sank into your” she paused, “neck.”
“It's not as though you could control your actions.”
“I suppose.” Kara lifted her head and gently stroked the wound on his neck, then opened her mouth and felt her now normal sized canines. Seeing this, Conan took her hand down from her face and softly kissed her cheek. He gradually kissed his way to her mouth, speaking with his loving actions, showing his yearnings for her.
“Kara” he breathed into her ear. The sound was so filled with emotion that she melted and kissed him with more vigor. The two spoke with lips and hands, reintroducing their hearts to one another. Suddenly Conan stopped and lifted his head up quickly.
“What is it?”
“Someone's near by” he answered slowly. His grip tightened on her as his ears perked towards the sound of the intruder. “Stay here Kara.” Conan got up off the couch and without warning transformed into his wolf form.
“But” she protested. Conan shoved his head into her hand for a moment then bounded out of the room. For a minute or so, Kara sat on the couch thinking. She fidgeted, changing the position of her legs many times over. Finally she got up off the couch. “I can't just sit here.”
Creeping down the steps Kara saw the front door swinging wide open in the breeze. She bit her lip in thought then continued quietly out of the mansion. The cold air whipped at her face, making her hair float about her head. She looked down on the ground for some sign of where Conan ran off to, but nothing met her curious eyes. Sighing she pushed her hair out of her face when suddenly a howl made her jump and clutch at her pounding heart. She bolted towards the sound and found herself running straight into the forest. She slowed when she heard a pair of deep growls just ahead. It rumbled throughout the forest, making the animals quiver and the leaves shake.
Barley making a sound, Kara crept up to the clearing where two large wolves stood opposite of each other. Conan stood on the other side of the battle, the hair along his spine raised in anger. Closest to her was a wolf she had never laid eyes on before. It's fur was a brilliant orange, and it's size, though smaller than Conan, was still massive. On it's hind legs, it could be as tall as six feet. It's shackles were up as well. Suddenly a voice eerily familiar came from the fiery wolf.
“I'm glad I get to finally rip you apart and get what my pack deserves.”
“Your pack does not deserve the chosen one.”
“You talk about her as if she's a prize.”
“If I were you, I would evaluate who your accusing” Conan scoffed.
“You make me laugh Conan. You and I both know your only using that girl to give your pack what they want as well, so that you can return to your home, return to your real woman.”
“That's enough, let's get this done and over with.”
Kara squeezed her eye shut and placed her back close against the tree. 'He's just saying that, he's just saying that, it isn't true' she kept telling herself.
“Are you telling me you actually love her? You've completely forgotten about your wife at home, waiting for you? Have you forgotten her golden fur and eyes?”
“Be quiet,” Conan growled, his anger seething from his words.
“Every time you kiss Kara, your really thinking about her aren't you? How pathetic!”
“Shut up!” Conan bolted at the mocking wolf and tackled him to the tree Kara hid behind. The tree moved from all the weight and she bent over from the motion. Now cupping the cries that were attempting to escape from her mouth, Kara only thought of how to get away. She took one glace at the battling wolves only to check if they were preoccupied enough and then ran from her spot and back out into the forest. She suppressed the tears and shielded herself with anger as she ran towards the mansion.
Bursting in through the foyer she ran upstairs, grabbed her bag, and jumped down the steps. She pulled her hood up and pursing her lips shut she took out her bottle of perfume.
“I was right from the beginning,” she uttered under her breath before she threw the bottle onto a rock right outside the front door. It shattered and Kara brought her sleeve up to protect her nose from the overpowering smell. Without another thought she turned and headed east. She knew going home would be pointless. It was probably ransacked and besides, Conan could find her there. Her mind was blank, except the thought of getting away, far far away, where no wolf could track her.
Hours later she walked slowly along a back interstate road. Only five cars had passed her within the two hours she had been on it and not one establishment met her dreary eyes. She used her anger as a dam to keep in her total remorse. Her brow was in a constant furrow as she trudged along. After many steps away from her troubles, she finally saw a diner which brought some energy into her feet.
Bloody and bruised, Conan trudged back to the mansion. Within seconds, an overwhelming smell reached his hypersensitive nose. Grudgingly, he ran towards it, only to find Kara's perfume bottle shattered all over a boulder. To dampen his senses, he transformed into a human and covered his nose with his forearm. Looking to the smashed bottle again he questioned, “Kara?” He ran inside the house, grabbing a towel and wrapping it around himself as he sprinted up the stairs. “Kara” he shouted bursting through the threshold. Only stony silence met him. It was then that he began to panic. He had left her right here and now she was gone, her perfume bottle smashed to bits outside the door. “What happened to her?” He sniffed around the house and once he reached outside he lost his trail. The smell was so overwhelming that it burned his nose and he couldn't smell anything else. He started toward the back of the house, his confusion rising.
“Thank you” Kara softly said as the waitress laid down a plate of french toast and a warm cup of coffee.
“No problem sweetie” she returned chomping on her gum with apple red lips. Slowly and silently, she began to eat. At times she would stare out the window, her mind blank. She wondered where she would sleep tonight, what was going on now with Conan, and why she was such a complete idiot. That thought threatened her composure so she pushed it away and went back to her food. The diner was one of those old fashioned ones with a jukebox and everything. The only other people inside where two men who looked greasy and tired. Kara figured they were truckers as they sat at the counter sipping coffee as well. Once she was done she left without leaving a tip, figuring that she'll need her money.
Out on the road again Kara was blank. In any other situation she would be very worried about where she would sleep that night but now she didn't care. Anything was better than being in Canary. It was so easy to leave, she realized, because she had no family and no friends. It never really bothered her, until now. Now, she didn't even have someone who loved her in that town. She sighed as she looked up at the dark night sky.
“Mom, you still love me, right?” The twinkling stars above stayed silent.
She found a billboard along the road and decided that was going to be camp. Tucking her bag to her right, she sat down at the backside of the road advertisement. Emotionally and physically drained, her head slowly started to dip towards her chest. Eventually she had curled up on the ground, with her bag as a pillow.
Day did not even come before trouble had found her once again.
“Hey, wake up, Kara.” A rushed voice echoed through her sleep. She slowly opened her eyes only to wish she never did. There before her was the last person she wanted to see, Conan. He was in his human form bent over her, hand on her shoulder. She bolted up right.
“Get away from me” She ordered.
“What? Kara are you alright” he asked coming closer.
“Get away from me!”
“Hey, it's just me, did something happen?”
“That's just my problem, you.”
“What are you talking about?”
“Just go away. In fact, go back to Ireland to your wife” she screamed the last part and started to run away.
“What? Kara wait!” he grabbed her arm and stopped her. She ripped it out of his grasp.
“Don't you ever touch me again you liar. I can't stand heartless monsters like you. You lied to me, you told me you loved me, when I was right from the start, you were only pursuing me for your own good. You have a wife, I heard it all from that wolf. Leave me alone and never talk to me again.”
“Kara your wrong I can explain!”
“I don't need an explanation” and with that she took the necklace off her aching chest and threw it into the dirt. “There's my response. Your just like my father.”
“Kara” Conan started but seeing that words were useless he simply grabbed her and turned her around, holding her at arms length. Tears were pouring wordlessly from her eyes. Conan was much to strong to struggle against.
“What you heard is true, I do have a wife back in Ireland, but only because I had to. It's part of the rules of the pack, even if we go after the chosen one we have to have a wife, as a safety net.”
“So she's just a backup? Your heartless!”
“I didn't make the rules!”
“Your still cheating. You have a wife” she strained, “it may be okay for you, but that's not okay for me.”
“There's nothing I can do about my wife. The only thing that would end our marriage would be her death or our marriage.”
“Right now a marriage with you is far from my mind.”
All at once Conan’s grip loosened in defeat and Kara seeing her opportunity ripped away and started to run. In desperation, he grabbed her and held her, pressing her back into his chest.
“Kara please, I can't lose you, I love you, I promise I do, I haven't lied to you, everything I do is for you, please I just can't lose you.”
The tears poured faster and she choked through them, “But how can I trust this? How can I know that your wife is only part of the rules? How can I trust you Conan? I don't want to be the idiot but I don't want to lose you.”
“Then don't lose me and you won't be an idiot.”
Kara slowly placed her hands on the arms wrapped around her.
“I need some time okay?”
“I'm not letting you stay out here.”
“I'll come back to Canary, but give me some space. I'm going back to my house.”
“Okay. I will give you space but I'm never going to leave you alone, ever.”
Kara simply nodded. Knowing this would be the last intimate contact they would have for some time, Conan held her for a bit longer. Eventually, he let her go. Wordlessly, she picked up her necklace off the ground, put it in her pocket, then grabbed her bag.
“I have my car here” Conan explained.
“Okay,” she said quietly. Her mind was racing and hazy all at once. The two broken lovers got in the car and said nothing and everything with their stony silence.
The next morning Kara woke up in her own bed late in the day. Sitting up, she saw the bloody window before her. Shivering from the memory she walked out of her room and into the kitchen. “Mom, I need you right now. Everything is so complicated, I need answers, I need you.” She sighed and got ready quickly, for she was going to fix up her little shack today.
She took the spare door from the basement and replaced her splintered one with it. Then she replaced the window that had ravished her body with cuts. After the main repairs were done she set into simple cleaning duties. Soon her mind cleared of all her troubles and she concentrated on her work. With a free mind, she turned on her record player and listened to her favorite Buddy Holly album. After late afternoon set in, the house was back to it's original state, cozy cleanliness. To soothe her sore body she took a warm bath. Soon she regretted taking one because her mind clouded up once again.
To sort everything out, she told herself, “Conan has a wife back in his pack. He says it's because it's a requirement there. This must mean he doesn't care for her right? Wait, he never said it either way!” She brought a bubbly hand to her forehead. “I have to find out. I'm so afraid he's only using me. It's all this stupid prophecy. It ruined my parents marriage and now it's ruining my relationship with Conan! Or is it the wolves that it has ruined? Either way I hate the prophecy.”
Kara sat by the pond where she first accepted Conan's feelings. Huddled up with her knees protecting her fragile heart, she tossed soft flower petals onto the surface of the pond, reflecting her sorrowed face. Tempted to play 'he loves me, he loves me not' she bit her lip to keep the flowers from deciding her fate. She held the hollow shell of the flower after all the petals had been pulled and finally let her tears come out. Salty tears trailed from her squinted eyes to her quivering chin. The only thing she didn't let out was her pained moans, which she kept in with the biting of her lip. Suddenly the bushes rustled to her left and she quickly wiped her face and regained her composure.
“Kara?” It was unmistakably Conan. She didn't lift her eyes off the pond and only saw him when he stood over her shoulder and his reflection looked at hers in the water. He was in wolf form, his deep chocolate fur hiding all but his eyes. “Kara.”
“Yes?”
“I know I'm not the best person at this time but, I can't stand by as you cry.”
Kara stayed silent, not knowing how to respond. He pressed his side into hers. “If you'll let me, I want to comfort you.”
“I-I don't know if that’s honestly possible. Your the reason I'm like this.”
The wolf closed his eyes and lowered his head. Silence filled the area besides the soft music of crickets. Slowly, he brought his head up and nuzzled the side of her face. Kara closed her eyes, so as not to lose composure, but she faltered and suddenly grasped the wolf and buried her head into his shoulder. He let her body mold into his, keeping his head by hers, breathing steadily.
“Why does it have to be this way Conan” she moaned into his shoulder, “I just want to love you without fear and doubt.”
“I know, I wish the rule didn't exist, I wish the prophecy wasn't so. Sometimes I wish I could just be a normal human that could grow old with you, and not bother you will all this wolf business.”
Kara pulled away to look him in the face, her flow of tears slowed. Conan leaned in and licked the tears off her cheeks. As he was about to pull away, Kara placed her hands on either side of his face and kissed him. The wolf melted away and emerged as a human, who kissed the girl back wholeheartedly. He showered her with kisses, thankful tears grazing down the faces of both lovers. Between kisses he breathed, “I'm so sorry Kara.”
They enveloped each others lips in their own. The wolf slowly laid his woman down, ravishing her with his love. Their eager hands and tongues explored the bodies and mouths of their significant other.
Her heart swelling, Kara gently said, “I love you, I really do and I just want to be with you. I trust you.” And then she woke up from her bittersweet dream.
That day all she did was stay in bed. She tossed and turned, tired, but not wanting to dream of him. Her eyes needed new faces, or none at all. The only person she could turn to was so high up that she couldn't reach. “Mom,” she mumbled, her eyes red rimmed, “What am I supposed to do? I...am so lost, I'm so lost.” Tears trickled down her face once more and this time no one was there to comfort her. “It's one problem after another isn't it? What if I just let it all go?” Her heart ached horribly at the very thought. She knew she loved Conan, though the lack of trust was breaking her. Her head and heart were in constant hostilities, so much that she questioned school the next day. But, the next morning she got up and trudged on to school, trying to act as if her heart wasn't that of lead.
Kara slumped in her desk, head over a book. To be honest, she wasn't even reading. Her only motive was to hide her face. She's always been easy to read and knew this, so she let her curls fall before her, cutting of the world. Unfortunately, her plan was foiled.
“Kara?”
She lifted her head up, “Huh?” It was Coner and his brows raised in concern at her face.
He leaned in and lowered his voice, “Are you alright?”
“Um, yeah, just had a long night” she lied.
Coner saw right through her, “I get that we aren't exactly friends, but I'm here for you, if you need me.”
Kara smiled meekly, “That's very kind of you, thanks.” Kara was genuine and he could tell. He smiled back and slipped her a piece of paper minutes later. On it was his number. She slipped it into her cardigan pocket and feeling just a bit lighter, closed her book.
Walking down the hallway as everyone bustled past her, Kara looked at nothing. She wasn't really there, in Canary High. Instead she was with her mother on a sun lit porch, swinging. Her mother held her close, stroking her hair back. She told her it would be alright and that time would heal all wounds. Her brow furrowed. Even as a figment of her imagination, no true advice would come to her.
As she walked to her next class, still dazed, she was being followed. Conan shuffled past student after student, keeping his eyes always on Kara. The way she walked he could tell she wasn't all there. The sunlight from the windows lit up her hair and he was reminded of her beauty. His chest ached as he came to the realization that he couldn't simply walk up to her. At that moment, he was the last person she wanted to see. Suddenly a piece of paper flitted out from her cardigan and fell to the scuffled tiles. Conan picked it up and his face grew grim.
At lunch Kara was going to go out into the courtyard but was motioned to a table by Coner. He was alone as well and he smiled as she sat down.
“How are you feeling?”
“Okay,” she said trying to sound it.
“I'm going to the cinema after school, want to come?”
Kara was silent in thought for a bit. “I don't have any money.”
“I can pay for you, we can go see something that will cheer you up.”
Kara smiled a bit, “That would be nice, but I'll pay you back.”
“Oh don't. You coming is enough payment,” he smiled.
She let a little laugh slip, “Alright.”
“Great, we'll just drive there after school then. I'll meet you at your locker.”
“Okay.” Kara felt good, having someone as a friend, or at least she hoped.
The rest of the day went by smoothly, or so Kara tried to tell herself. Despite her misery, she made it through. But her optimism faltered as she saw who was leaning up against her locker. There was Conan, hands in his pocket, blocking her access. Kara simply stared at him with a blank face.
“Um, you dropped this earlier,” he explained taking his hand out of his pocket. In his hand was a folded up piece of paper. Kara recognized it and snatched it out of his hand. “You and Coner?”
Kara stared at the floor, but her voice wasn't submissive, “It's none of your business.”
“I think that as your...” he stopped. Kara had looked up at him, her eyes saying it all.
“You shouldn't be talking in any case. Can you move please?”
Wordlessly he moved out of the way but stayed. He opened and closed his mouth, trying to say something. Kara simply gathered her books.
“I said I wasn't going to leave you alone, and I meant it. You may not wear my necklace but we're still together.”
“I know,” she barely mumbled.
“I'm not going to let some guy barge into my position.”
“Please, just go,” Kara whispered, her head hidden in her locker. Tears were rimming her eyes. Conan lightly brushed her fingers and then left, passing Coner on his way. His nostrils flared and he whipped around to look at him again. Conan breathed to himself, “No way.”
The two arrived at the theater just in time. Some people stared at their uniforms but Coner and Kara were oblivious. They slipped into the showing and sat all the way at the top. The movie was a comedy and soon Kara had almost forgotten all her worries and was laughing along with Coner. Later that night Coner walked her to her front door.
“That was really fun Coner, thank you,” she smiled.
“No problem, if it cheered you up that's great.”
“It did,” she answered turning around at her door.
“Hey, I noticed you don't wear that necklace anymore.”
“Um, yeah...”
“Why not?”
“Well, I...” Kara trailed off. She couldn't come up with a lie. Suddenly Coner kissed her lightly on the cheek.
“You don't have to tell me. I'll see you tomorrow at school,” he smiled backing away.
“Yeah.” She gave him a half smile before turning to her door, brow furrowed. Little did she know that in the darkness, a certain someone stood. Watching the closed door with frustration, the figure slowly walked away.
That night Kara had a pleasantly disturbing dream. She was walking down a forest path, one that she didn't recognize. All of a sudden a rabbit hopped out into the path before her. She smiled and walked up to the bunny. It didn't move as she pet it's soft fur. She thought to herself, “That's odd, don't they usually run away?” Then in a snap the bunny changed into a ferocious lion. It growled and snapped at her. She took off down the path, screaming for help. The lion followed, his lethal paws pounding the dirt. It caught up to her within seconds and tackled her to the ground. The last thing she saw was her own screaming face, as the lion tore at her back.
She woke up screaming, her alarm going off. A cold sweat dampened her brow. “God,” she uttered, holding her head. She slammed off the alarm clock and got out of bed. She had fallen asleep in a cut-off wool sweater and shorts. Her body ached as she started to make coffee for the day. Dreary eyed she looked at the calendar. “It's Saturday!” she proclaimed to herself.
“Right your are,” called a raspy voice from behind. She turned around to find her nightmare come true. There at her kitchen table sat a man with a long butcher knife in his hands. “You might remember my brother, he came in here a couple nights ago, had some business to take care of. But, because of you, he died and now it's become a family business,” he sneered spinning the point of his knife into the wooden table.
Kara's heart raced and the cold sweat returned. The first movement he made to get up from the table, her instincts kicked in. She grabbed the coffee pot and threw it at him, searing his skin. Then she ran out her open front door and sped into the forest. Her immediate thought was to run to Conan, but she felt she couldn't do that anymore. With a determined brow she realized she had been fending off these men a lot longer on her own. She could do this by herself.
Kara ducked and weaved between tress and branches, checking over her shoulder to see the man charging after her. All she could think of was to head toward the river and so she did. Taking shortcuts and cutting her feet on sharpened thorns, she rushed toward her only salvation. She saw the raging river and dived in, swimming with the current. Unfortunately, the current took the man just as fast as her and soon he was only inches away.
The river took a turn and she grabbed a tree root that stuck out from the bank. Her attacker took one last lunge with his knife and succeeded before the current washed him away. Kara's screams were stifled in shock. She looked down to see the crafted piece of metal sticking out of her chest. Red blood rushed forth from her wound as she clung to the root. She made choking noises as she shakily climbed out of the river.
Her vision was dotted and fuzzy, the pain sweeping her body in tides of agony. Finally a high-pitched whimper emerged from her trembling lips. She lay on her back, fists grabbing at the grass around her, body writhing in pain. She had never felt so much pain in her life and was sure it was the end for her. Tears now splattered the green earth below her and joined the growing pool of blood.
Her eyes began to close, and she could make out the sun peaking out from behind the leaves in the sky. Suddenly a black blocked her vision. She heard, “Oh Jesus!” as the black turned to cream. Her limbs were going numb but she felt hands pick her up and start to carry her away. Not knowing what else to do she reached up and with a cry of agony, pulled the knife out of her breast. The figure fell to their knees and cried, “What are you doing? Oh god Kara look at me! Dammit, I have to heal it now.”
Her body was placed upon the ground once more. She felt her sweater being lifted and saw a splotch of black lower itself to her chest. The insurmountable pain welcomed itself back into her body. She knew this visitor and cried out into the morning air.
Conan heard her screams and burst from his mansion. He transformed and allowed his hypersensitive senses to work. Within a minute he had found her, but not alone. Above her writhing figure was a boy with jet black hair, holding her arms down, his head buried in her chest. He smelled blood so thickly he felt nauseous. He bounded towards the figure and transformed on the spot.
“Hey!” he shouted. The boy lifted his head up, revealing a bloodied mouth. Conan's eyes grew wide, “Coner?”
“Hello Conan. If you don't mind, I'm busy saving an important life here.” he bowed his head down again and her screams resurfaced.
“No, she's mine!”
Coner lifted his head once more, “She doesn't wear your necklace. She's a free woman now. And I've had my eye on her for a very long time.”
“Just who do you think you are?”
Coner turned with a calm face, “The leader of the Obsidian pack,” then dropped his head back down to Kara's chest. Conan's face went blank. The Obsidian pack was the most powerful pack in the world and whatever they wanted, they got. Conan fell to his knees and helplessly watch another wolf eat her heart out.
Kara slowly saw the world return to her eyes. Her fingers were sore from gripping the grass, her body hot and panting from the pain endured. For no reasons she could surmise, she began to sob as soon as the world was back. Only the ghost of the hole in her chest remained. Coner took her up in his arms and held her there as she sobbed. Kara hardly knew who was holding her, but they were so nice and so kind. Suddenly, the smell peaked her interest enough to raise her head. “C-Coner?” she stumbled, eyes wide.
“Kara, I'm so glad you're alright. Don't worry, you're going to be fine now, I'll protect you.” Her mind was in a daze and she stared at his face, though not even seeing him.
“H-How can you heal me if you're....wh-what are...?”
“Say it, Kara. You know, deep down,” he urged.
“Werewolf,” she whispered.
“Yes.”
Tears sprang again from her sky eyes, “Wh-Why?”
Coner was dumfounded at her reaction. He had just saved her life had he not? What was so bad about being a werewolf? A certain understanding upon the surface broke. “I know, I was deceiving you. I'm sorry. I meant to tell you eventually.” Kara wanted to shout, to scream. She wanted nothing to do with wolves anymore. All they did was bring pain and misery to her and her family. But in such a weakened, vulnerable state, she took what she assumed to be a friends help. Without another word, she buried her crumbling face into his neck.
Conan stood there staring at the two the whole time, furiously aware that he was invisible. “Kara,” he uttered finally as she drove her face into Coner. She suddenly popped up with surprise and ejected, “Conan?” She was frozen in place. How long had he been there? Was he jealous? Did he realize what was going on? The complexity of the situation froze her body in it's position. “Coner,” he sighed. “May I have some time alone?”
He smiled and pet the back of Karas head. “I won't be far.” He got up and walked off into the shadows of the trees.
Kara sat there, in the pool of her own blood, the gravity of everything weighing down her limbs. She was utterly stuck. Not able to be angry, not able to be defensive, her walls lay in pieces before her. Conan rushed to her with sudden fever and scooped her up and away from her bloody circle. He inhaled deeply and held her head close to his chest. “You were so close to death. I thought I was going to lose you,” he breathed, brows furrowed together in pain. “Please, don't ever leave me, I can't bare the very thought.” Kara cried, releasing her pent up emotions.
“I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I won't! I can't stand to be without you either,” she wailed, gripping at his shirt. With a shaking hand she brought the necklace out of her pocket. It glowed suddenly with pink as it came close to his own copy. “I want to be yours,” she admitted, holding the necklace out for him to take. Without hesitation, he clasped it around her neck and quickly took her again in his embrace.
“You will always be mine. I love you,” he murmured.
Tears of joy sprang now from her closed eyes, “I love you too.”
Minutes later, after the two had dried tears and expressed their grievances, the began to walk towards the mansion, hand in hand. Suddenly, Coner appeared before their path. He had a smile upon his face, one that Kara didn't like. “Well, I'm glad everything’s alright between the two of you.” Dismissing the smile, Kara let Conans' hand go and rushed forth.
Hugging him tightly she gushed, “Thank you Coner. You saved my life and I'm forever grateful. You're a great friend.”
He brought his hands up to her head and waist, “Anything for you.” As he held her there, his gray eyes flicked up to Conan. His head cocked a bit to the side, a set expression on his face. He mouthed, 'It's not over.”