How Could This Happen to Me?

Chapter 1

Chapter 1:

Sebastien Lefebvre leaned his head against the side of the door as his father drove slowly through what they soon would be calling their neighborhood.

He turned his head seeing his twin sister Kate looking out her window, their parents talking quietly amongst themselves as they looked for their new home.

Seb stuck his head out the window and closed his eyes, he breathed in deeply and sighed.

Although the Lefebvre’s have moved a few times in their lives, for some reason this neighborhood really felt like home. A strong feeling built up within the male siblings chest.

“Alright, we’re here guys.” The eldest Lefebvre spoke up, looking back at his kids and smiling.

Seb and Kate looked at each other, “I call the biggest bedroom!” with that said, the brother opened up his door fast and ran up the driveway and towards the new house.

Kate was right on his heels, “I call the biggest room, Seb! The older sibling gets first pick!”

Seb rolled his eyes, “Older then me by eight minutes!” he laughed as he opened the front door and ran instantly up the stairs.

Kate didn’t bother to follow him as she walked through the first floor, already having looked at the house photos, she knew exactly where the biggest room was located.

Seb looked through each door upstairs until he came across the one at the end of the hallway, he opened the door and smiled. “Found it!”

“No you didn’t!” Kate responded back to him.

Seb shrugged his shoulders, “Whatever” he walked over to his bedroom window and opened it.

“Seb! Get down here and help unload. The moving truck just arrived.” his mother Carol called out to him.

“Yeah, mom. I’m coming” Seb walked out of his bedroom and back down the stairs, meeting up with his sister at the same time.

“I’ve got the upstairs bedroom.” he stuck his tongue out at her.

Kate shoved him towards the closest wall, “I’ve got a bigger room then you do, so I don’t care.” she walked back outside, with Seb following right behind her.

Together they walked to the moving truck, deciding to grab their biggest furniture first and move it into the house before it got dark.

-----

Seb laid the last box of his inside his bedroom, he looked around realizing just how much stuff he had brought with him on the move.

“Hey, mom and dad said they’ll order pizza for tonight, they’ll be calling the professionals in tomorrow to get things up and running for us.”

The younger of the two turned and looked towards his sister, he smiled. “Should we go for a walk and check out the neighborhood while we wait on the pizza?”

Kate nodded her head, “Sure, just as long as we can find our way back home.”

----

Together the siblings walked down the street, glancing at each house they passed.

“Do you have that feeling where this neighborhood actually feels like home?” Seb asked.

Kate looked to her brother and chuckled, “What do you mean?”

Seb shrugged his shoulders, “I don’t know, ever since Dad drove towards our new home…I just had this powerful feeling like we were meant to be here. Didn’t you have that feeling at all?”

Kate shook her head, “I don’t think so, Seb.”

Seb lowered his head at this, not quite understanding why his sister didn’t have that twin connection with him, like they always had.

She walked ahead of him, stopping every once in a while to pick up a fallen leaf on the sidewalk. Each one being yellow, orange, or red.

Seb stopped as they neared towards the forest of their neighborhood, where the log cabin homes and more private property locations were at. He turned his head to look down the dirt road, there being some distance before the first house was seen.

“Sebastien.”

Seb looked forward once more, seeing his sister with a handful of leaves, she gave him a concerned look. “What’s wrong?”

He raised an eye brow, “Nothing, just was glancing down that block.”

Kate walked back over to him, together they looked down the street. “Yeah, that is one of those random dirt roads Mom was telling us about. She did say the neighborhood had a lot of open space, with houses that are viewable. But then there are these types of roads where the more quiet, keep-to-themselves people live.”

Seb rolled his eyes, “Yeah, either they’re crazy people with big guns who won’t hesitate to shoot when a foot is set on their land, or it’s where the rich people of the town live. Take your pick.”

Kate glared hard at her brother, “Are you trying to be a smartass?”

Seb chuckled, “I’m just being honest. Who else would live on a dirt road away from the whole rest of the town. What is there to hide from us?”

Kate dropped the leaves and tucked her hands into her front pockets, “Some people just like their privacy. Maybe it’s families who’ve been here long enough to know where the good houses are at.”

“Yeah, but we have a good looking two story house, what’s wrong with that?” Seb asked.

Kate shook her head, “Nothing, except for the fact that we’re the only two story house on our block. So it’s the most noticeable one!”

A smile grew on Seb’s face, “Hey, we gotta intimidate the other kids don’t we?”

----

The door bell rang throughout the house, letting the Lefebvre’s know someone was at the door. “Pizza, pizza, pizza!!” Seb ran straight for the door, he opened it and was met with a lady who held a plate that was wrapped with saran wrap.

The rest of the family gathered around the youngest, finding out why he hadn’t brought the pizza to the kitchen table.

“Hello! Welcome to the neighborhood, my name is Susan.”

Carol smiled brightly and grabbed the plate from Susan and handed it over to Sebastien, he unfolded the wrapping slightly seeing it was chocolate chip cookies. “Sweeet!” he hid behind his father and grabbed one of the cookies before shoving it into his mouth.

“This is my daughter, Katherine.

Kate raised her hand and waved a little, “Hi…”

“Uh! These cookies are as hard as a damn rock! I think I chipped a few of my teeth!” Seb shook his head and put the cookie back on the plate, and covered it back up.

Kate smacked the back of his head, folding her arms and glancing towards the parents as they continued talking about things that the twins were not interested in.

“And this is our son, Sebastien. ”

Susan looked between the two young adults, “Are they twins?! She asked with surprise.

Carol couldn’t help but smile at this, “Yes, Katherine is older then Sebastien by 8 minutes, which makes him the baby of the family.

Seb quickly made a straight face and looked to the neighbor that stood at their door. “Hello.” he grinned.

Kate rolled her eyes at her brother seeing the dorky grin on his face

----

The Lefebvre’s sat in the dining room, with candles placed all around the table as they ate their dinner.

The eldest looked up at his kids, “You two have school in the morning. Your mother and I called in a few days ago and got things set. Just because this is our first night in our new home, doesn’t mean you get to skip your first day of school.”

“But it’s Thursday tomorrow, can’t we just start school on Monday instead?”

“Why? So you can miss this week’s homework assignments?” Kate asked.

Seb gave her a ‘No Duh!’ look, “Well, yeah! Why the heck would I want homework on a weekend where I could be free and look around, learn what kinda shops and stuff are in the next town over…”

“It doesn’t matter what day of the week it is, you both are going, and that is final.”

Kate smirked across the table at her brother, he scowled at her.

----

Seb lay in his bed, boxes stacked all around in his room still. He glanced outside the biggest window in his room and stared at the moon that was high up in the sky. He blinked and looked down at his bed sheets.

As sleep took over Sebastien, a wolf’s howl was heard far off into the distance.