Surprises

Deux.

Jonathan sat at the table in the kitchen finishing up breakfast before drinking the rest of his coffee. Set the porcelain mug down onto the gray marble, Jonathan grabbed the paper from beside him and automatically flipped to the sports section. Once he was done reading, Jonathan stood up and walked over to the dishwasher, put the dirty dishes onto the plastic rack. Jonathan then made his way over to Penelope’s door, but stopped when he heard a voice from inside the room. Cracking the door, Jonathan saw Cassandra sitting with Penny on her lap. Pushing the rest of the way into the room, Jonathan walked over to the pair.

“Morning, Jon.” Cassandra said, looking up from their little girl.

“Morning, Cass. How is she the morning?” Jonathan asked.

“Good, she’s already been fed and burped and changed. I was actually going to grab her outfit before I went and got ready for work.” She told him.

“Here, I’ll hold her while you search.” Jonathan held his arms out and smiled when his baby girl was laid in his arms. Looking up, Jonathan saw Cassandra rush towards the little girl’s ginormous closet, flinging the doors open once she got there. It took her less than a minute to grab a pair of jeans, a cute white shirt, and some pink socks.

Walking towards the changing station, Cassandra set the clothes down onto the purple pad before turning towards Jon. “Would you mind getting her dresses while I took care of myself?” She asked him.

“No, go ahead and start getting ready.” He told her.

“Great.” She said before placing a kiss on both of their cheeks before heading out of the room and down the hall into her own. Looking at the time, Cassandra was glad that she showered before waking the baby up, seeing as she was already running twenty minutes behind. Pulling on her striped pants and heels, Cassandra ran around in just her black bandeau while looking for her blouse. Once she found it, Cassandra threw on the shirt and sweater before putting her hair in a sloppy yet stylish bun and walking out of the room.

Jonathan looked up when he heard the distinctive sound of heels against the hardwood floor and smiled at Cassandra. “You look great.” He said honestly. Cassandra was one of those natural beauty’s, but everything was more defined when she was all made up for the day. “Big meeting this morning?” Jon asked.

Guzzling down the rest of her coffee, Cassandra nodded her head as she swallowed. “One of the biggest this year.” She told him. “Flying all the way from Los Angeles to meet me. She and her fiancé are moving here, but are still in L.A. until there house is done. Her father has quite a lot of cash and would do anything to make his baby girl happy, so we could possibly benefit from it.” Cassandra told him in a rushed voice.

Walking over to her, Jonathan set his hand on her shoulder and smiled. “Deep breath, everything will go well.” He told her. “You and the girl’s know exactly what needs to be said in order for her to pick you, so just calm down.” Cassandra took a deep breath and smiled at him. Leaning in, Jon pressed on small kiss onto her forehead. “Good luck.” He told her before handing her the keys to the car.
Once he heard the door shut, Jonathan looked down at his little girl. “It’s just you and me today.” He said with a smile on his face. When Cassandra first showed up, Jonathan couldn't believe what she told him, but the more he thought about it, the more he knew that Penelope was his. The two months that they have been living with him had flown by, so Jonathan was trying to make the most of each day he spent with his little girl.

● ● ●

Cassandra unlocked the heavy door and pushed it open before entering the condo. Setting her keys in the glass bowel, she unbuckled her heels before walking into the main living space. “Hello?” She called out as she walked forward. Hearing the television coming from Jon’s room, Cassandra headed over there. Pushing the door open, Cassandra saw Jonathan with Penelope on his chest, both of them passed out. Walking over to them, Cassandra saw that Penny was up, just resting against Jon’s chest. Picking the little girl up, Cassandra cradled Penelope in her arms and pressed a kiss to her soft, brown hair. Leaning over Jonathan’s chest, Cassandra grabbed the remote from beside him and turned the television off. Backing away, Cassandra crept out the door and down the hallway to Penelope’s nursery. Laying her on the changing table, Cassandra made silly faces at her daughter as she changed her done. Throwing the soiled white diaper away, Cassandra picked her daughter up and headed into the kitchen.

Setting Penelope in her swing, Cassandra started grabbing all of the ingredients for dinner. “Let’s go get daddy.” She said to Penelope before getting her from the swing and walking into Jon’s room. Just as she reached for the door handle, the door was opened and Jon stood there rubbing the sleep from his eyes.

“Everything smells really good.” He told Cassandra in a groggy voice.

“Thanks, everything just finished up.” She told him as she walked back into the kitchen.

Laying Penelope back into her swing, she and Jon set the table and placed all of the food down. Placing a plastic bottle into the microwave, Cassandra waited until the formula was at the correct temperature. Once it was ready, Cassandra grabbed it before picking Penelope up. Sitting down in her chair, Cassandra let Penny lay in her arms as she fed her. Once the little girl was done, Cassandra set the bottle down before reaching out to grab the spoon for the corn. Touching Jonathan’s hand at the same time, they both looked up at each other and smiled.

“I really enjoy these family dinners.” Jonathan told her.

“Me too.” Cassandra said, her smile getting even bigger.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys, I hope I like the second-sh/first chapter.
I know it's been a wayyyy long time since I put the prologue out, but I've been on an updating kick.
I cannot believe that I have 172 readers and 31 subscribers just on the prologue alone!
Here is Cassandra and Penelope's outfit, pretty cute, I know.
Comment and tell me how you guys liked it!
- Zoe
Ps. Sid will updated next, and then Kris!