Reckless

Daylight comes in the nick of time,

“It turned into such a beautiful day!”

Louisa smiled, nodding back at her mother as they walked down the steps of their apartment towards the street. It was nice day, but it wasn’t anything special: it was dark in the morning, and light in the evening. Louisa swore sometimes her mother spoke just for the sake of speaking.

“Now that dress is just darling,” Her mother cooed, looking over at her beautiful daughter as they walked down the strip, “but I do wish you’d worn heels. Sandles, Louisa?”

She rolled her eyes. “We’re just going to brunch, Meredith.”

Louisa’s mother narrowed her eyes at her daughter at the mention of her first name. She hated when she called her that. “Every occasion is an occasion.”

If Louisa had a penny for every time those words passed her mother’s lips, she’d be rich. Well, more rich than she already was. And Louisa knew that she was wealthy, it would be more terrible if she didn’t.

Louisa heard the soft chimes of her mother’s ringtone as she grabbed her arm. “Louisa, be a dear and hail down a cab.” Then she turned to answer her phone.

Slowly, Louisa stepped out to the curb and held out her hand. She’d done this dozens of times but she never liked signaling cabs. LA wasn’t New York, so they only came by the strip so often; and she just felt awkward. Almost self-conscious. Louisa hated that feeling.

A cab rolling by turned slightly to the curb and stopped. She turned to her mother, still chatting on her phone with a serious look on her face, and motioned towards the cab.

“No, no, no, I thought I told you the floral spread is out. Take it out. Florals could not be more last season. Let’s move to patterns.”

Louisa paused, looking down at her floral dress and feeling less and less comfortable. Some girls thought it might be cool to have a mom who was the editor for a high fashion magazine. But with a mom like Meredith, it was anything but. As much as she loved her mother and her life, Louisa had the aching feeling as if she was out of place.

Maybe a piece of her puzzle was missing. Or maybe she was missing from another puzzle entirely, trying to fit into something not made for her in the first place.

But as the cab honked impatiently, Louisa rolled her eyes and grabbed her mother’s arm, leading her into the cab and letting out a sigh. It didn’t matter if she was in the wrong place: this was all she knew. Louisa was stuck there.

“Shit.”

Josh let out a long groan as she sat up in the bed, birds chirping through the open window and the faint smell of men’s deodorant filling the air. Slowly he turned towards the clock.

11:13.

“YOU’RE JOKING.” Josh jumped, nearly rolling out of his bed before running over to his suitcase and throwing on whatever was on the top. What the hell wasn’t he woken up!? Where were the rest of the boys!? Josh never did well with practical jokes, but this was just too far.
He could smell Max’s doing from a mile away.

He spotted a note on the desk opposite Dan’s bed, and moved quickly to see its contents. Gripping the note in his hands, Josh let out a long sigh. Assholes.

"Tried to get you up- you nearly threw a punch. Just get to the studio by 11:30! – Max "

Well that’s his fault then isn’t it, Josh thought. Max was the one that wanted to party.

It was no matter making excuses. Quickly Josh grabbed his notebook and headed out of his hotel room to the elevators. If anything, he just needed to get to the studio. Whether it was to kick Max’s ass or get to work on the album was debatable.

Josh ran his hands through his air as the elevator doors opened and he walked into the lobby. He smiled at the doorman as he trotted down the stairs, walking down the strip and looking for cabs.

He saw one passing by in a moment, and quickly ran out practically into the street waving his arms like a crazy person. Half the cars on the strip slowed down on the strip just to get a view of him: Josh looked like an idiot but he didn’t care. He had shit to do and people to see. Looking like an idiot was something he did regularly. It had been a long time since he’d realized and embraced that quality.

“Look buddy, I’ve already got two people in this cab headed west-”

“Fantastic mate, I’m headed that way as well.” Josh said, moving over to the doors.

The cabbie shrugged. “Suit yourself.”

Josh just nodded, smiling at the man as he gripped the handle.
♠ ♠ ♠
outfit!

This is the start! I had the idea for this story at 2AM a few nights ago, and I plotted some notes then and made the layout and all. I just got really inspired by the song "Reckless", and with Warped starting, I thought a Josh story was a must. So enjoy!

The story will go back to being first person next chapter, with a Louisa/Josh flip flop. I'm really excited!

Comment/subscribe :)