Sequel: Ruined in the Shadows
Status: Complete! Check out the sequel! -->

Fixed in the Shadows

Chapter 13

The warmth of the rising sun rouses me from my slumber. I turn over and watch Steve sleep. He looks so peaceful. One great thing about Steve is that he does not realize how attractive he is. He could literally have any girl he wants but he chose me. I'm definitely not really his type. Purple hair with rebellious style. I guess opposites attract.

Just then, I hear a knock on the door. I roll out of bed and put Steve's t-shirt on over my bra and panties. I walk to the door and look through the peep hole. I'm shocked to see who is on the other side. I open the door. "Sam?"

"Skylar! Hey! How are you?" Sam asks. He rubs his hands on his jeans. I can tell he's nervous. He then observes what I'm wearing. His jaws drops but then he catches it. He bites his lip.

"Skylar?" Steve asks, climbing out of bed. "Is someone there?" He walks over to the doorway in just boxers. His perfect skin is glowing in the sunlight.

"I-I..." I just stand there with a gaping mouth.

Sam looks Steve up and down. There is fury and jealousy burning in his eyes. "This must be Steve," he mumbles through gritted teeth.

"Yes," Steve says, smiling and not getting it. He holds out his hand. "And you are?"

"Sam Winchester," he answers, shaking his hand.

"Oh! Sam! So nice to meet you! I've heard so much about you!" Steve retracts his hand.

I turn to Steve. "Um, Steve, weren't you gonna go to the gym?" I mutter. I give him a look.

"Oh yeah! I was! I'll just let you guys catch up!" Steve runs to get dressed and then he's out of the door. On the way out, he plants a kiss on my lips. "Bye! It was nice to meet you, Sam."

"Come in," I say quietly. I gesture to Sam to enter the apartment.

Once the door closes, Sam finally lets it all out. "What the hell what that?"

"What do you mean?" I ask, not making eye contact.

"You slept with Steve! After we we got back together a week and a half ago!"

"What? We did not get back together!"

"Well, we had sex. Or were you just using me?"

"Okay, first of all, I wasn't even close to orgasm and it was like two seconds so I barely count that as sex, and second of all, just because we banged doesn't mean we got back together or that I used you. I was really lonely and really horny and so were you. It was a mistake. Plus, I remember you freaking out at me!"

"That's because you told me you were responsible for the deaths of over seventy-five men!"

"Well, at least Steve wouldn't freak out at me!"

"Have you even told him?"

I get quiet and look down at the ground. "...No." I shuffle my foot across the carpet.

"Then I suggest you explain right now. How were you responsible?"

"I killed them! I murdered all seventy-eight of those men, okay?"

"What?" Steve asks quietly.

I turn in shock to find Steve standing over by the door. "Steve? I thought you..."

"I forgot my watch," he answers softly. He walks toward me. "Skylar, what do you mean you murdered seventy-eight men?"

"Yeah, Skylar, what do you mean?" Sam asks nastily, crossing his arms.

I shoot an ravenous look at Sam and then my gazes falls to the floor. "I murdered them. That's all," I mumble.

"Why?" Steve asks. He reaches his hand out to touch my shoulder but then he pulls away.

"To get revenge..."

"Revenge?" Sam asks in disbelief.

"I avenged all the women and children's lives they destroyed. They were all sexual offenders. Rapists, pedophiles, sexual sadists." My voice grows angry. "A lot of them were aquitted. I couldn't just let them get away with their crimes." I sigh deeply.

"But that doesn't mean you kill them..." Steve says.'

"You don't understand, Steve!" I look up at him, tears rolling down my eyes. "People like that just don't do it once. It's a lifetime career. They would not stop. I had to stop them. After what The Man did to me, I could not let anymore lives be torn apart like mine was."

"How did you even find them all?" Sam asks.

"I would hack into the state's files about possible sexual offenders. I studied the paperwork and memorized what they did. I followed the trials. I stalked the men. Then finally, I hunted them down and tore them apart. I went all avatar and ripped them to shreds. They deserved it. And you know what? I enjoyed it! I enjoyed it thoroughly! It felt good to protect other people." I grow quiet. "I guess you could say I was an Avenger before the Avengers even began." I hang my head and begin sobbing. I'm disgusted at what I did. I actually enjoyed it? I never had the guts to say that outloud.

Everyone goes silent. You could cut the tension with a knife. Finally, Steve speaks up. "I can't handle this right now," he says shakily. "I'm going to the gym." He turns to leave.

"Steve! Wait! I'm sorry!" I grab his hand and try to pull him back.

He looks me dead in the eye. "You should have told me earlier. Were you even going to tell me at all?" I don't answer. Steve then storms out of my apartment.

"Guess he did freak out," Sam says. "I gotta admit, I'm impressed with how well he handled himself. I mean, he just found out that his girlfriend was a murderer."

I glare at Sam. "Shut up, you fucking bastard. How dare you say it like that."

"How dare you! How dare you kill all those men! What gives you the right?"

"I never said I had the right to. I'm a very disturbed person, if you haven't noticed. Plus, I don't do it anymore. I have made peace with my Lord." I slam my hand on my chest and raise it upward. "But like you can talk. You kill monsters all the time. How am I any different from you?"

"They were humans! Human beings!" Sam yells, throwing his arms up.

"Oh, like you've never killed a human," I mutter. "Just get out!" I throw my arm toward the toward. Sam just stands there. "I SAID GET OUT!"

Sam strides to the door. "Good luck fixing this one, Skylar," he says and then slams the door behinds himself.

I sit down on my piano stool and cry. I lean over my knees as the sobs rattle and shake through my body. I cry and cry and cry. I cry for hours in my lonely, empy apartment. Finally, when I have no more tears, I stop. I grow numb in the silence. I then turn and begin to play "My Immortal" by Evanescence.

"You have a beautiful voice," Steve says from behind me.

"Thank you," I answer in a hushed voice.

Steve comes over and sits on the piano stool next to me. He puts his arm around my shoulders. "I'm sorry for the way I acted earlier."

"Don't be. You have every right to be mad and freaked out. I'm a monster. I've done horrible things in my lifetime."

"Don't say that. You are not a monster. You're the most amazing woman I have ever met. You are beautiful and powerful and strong. And I feel so lucky to have you."

I look up to make eye contact with Steve. "Thanks. Ditto for you." We giggle together. I kiss Steve and than lean my head against his broad shoulder. "Thanks for everything, Steve."

After another hour or so, I enter a grimey bar down the street from my apartment building. I search among the bikers, drunks and scaley women to find Sam sitting at a table by himself, downing shots. "Hey," I say quietly.

Sam looks up, glaring at me. "What do you want?" He mutters with a dark voice.

"I'm here to apologize." I sit down in the chair across from my ex-lover. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you that Steve and I had a thing. I should have. I should have also told you about my past. That's something a girlfriend is supposed to tell a boyfriend." I sigh deeply.

"Yeah, you should have told me. I mean, we hunted for the killer for months. No wonder you left." He points his finger at me.

"So do you forgive me?" My face scrunches up.

"Yeah, I guess," he says, looking down at his shot. He then looks up at me. "But I just don't get! What's so great about Steve?" He gives me a pleading look.

"Ugh! Do we really have to do this?" I whine.

"Yes! I have the right to ask after what you just did to me!"

I look away. "I don't know. There's just something about him. He's not like guys from this time period. He has that chivalrous mentality. Not that you aren't sweet or anything. He just... goes the extra mile. He fully respects me and that's something I need. We've known each other for over a month and we just had sex for the first time last night. You and I knew each other for two days before we banged it out. I need that change. I need stability." I get so emersed in talking about Steve I don't realize how upset Sam is getting.

I look up to find Sam's brows furrowed together, forming those cute little hill-shaped wrinkles in his forehead that I adore so much. "Well, I'm glad you're happy," he mumbles, choking back tears.

"Sam, I want things to be good between us. I value your friendship greatly. I need you in my life." I put my hang on Sam's. I then realize that was not the right thing to say. Sam storms out of the bar, leaving me there. I sigh. "Nice one, Skylar."
♠ ♠ ♠
Oooh DRAMA! Haha. And more secrets are revealed. What do you guys think of Skylar''s new informtion? Pretty crazy stuff! I also want to inform you all that I am currently writing the sequel to this story. Fixed in the Shadows has only five chapters left! D:

Skylar's Outfit