Sequel: Ruined in the Shadows
Status: Complete! Check out the sequel! -->

Fixed in the Shadows

Chapter 01

When Agent Lynch and I land on the SHIELD aircraft carrier, I gather my computer and exit the plane. Some agents take care of the rest of my luggage. The sun is shining bright so I put on my black wayfarer sunglasses. I look around at all the people readying the ship for take off. I can feel adrenaline and excitment run through my veins. It feels really great to get back into this secret agent stuff. I've secretly missed it.

I join the crowd as we go inside the helicarrier. I walk to the control room where I see dozens of agents working at their stations. I also see Nick Fury on his platform, overseeing his crew just like a captain on a ship. I then spot Steve Rogers, Natasha Romanoff and Dr. Bruce Banner talking with Agent Coulson.

"Everyone gather in," Fury says, gesturing for the five of us to come closer. "Good afternoon," he says to everyone.

"Good afternoon, sir," Steve says in a deeper voice than I was expecting. His blond hair is combed over. He's wearing a brown and off-white plaid shirt with tight brown pants. He looks good. I can't help but check out his ass.

"I'm going to be brief and then you all can get aquainted. It is obvious that Loki has taken the tesseract and we need it back. Dr. Banner, we'll need you to find it from the gamma radiation it emits." He looks at me. "Agent Hourani, we'll need you to take a crack at finding Loki through his computer network."

"Will do, sir," I say in a stern voice."

Fury continues. He looks at Steve. "Cap, you'll be on standby. Once we find him, we'll need you and Agent Romanoff to capture him. Everyone clear on that?"

"Yes, sir," we all say in unison.

"Then get to work!" He booms and then turns to get back to his station.

I walk toward Agent Romanoff. "Hello, Natasha," I say with an unpleasant smile.

"Hello, Skylar," she answers in distaste. "I still see that you're working the purple hair."

"You bet," I say. I put my hands on my hips and stand in a position with some serious attitude. "I'm really looking forward to working with you again." Yeah, not really.

"Oh, please. It's always a joy working with you," she says sarcastically. The slender redhead then walks aways. "Follow me, Dr. Banner. I'll show you your lab."

The Black Widow and I have never been on good terms. She hates me and I love the fact she hates me. I think it's both hilarious and pathetic. I don't know if she's just jealous. But what is there to be jealous of? We have very different skill sets. And it's not like I've ever been after Hawkeye. I know they're secretly in love with each other.

I follow the group. I end up standing next to Steve.

"Steve Rogers," he says, holding out his hand with a beautiful, kind smile.

"Skylar Hourani," I say, returning the handshake and smile.

"Are you a SHIELD agent as well?" He asks.

"Oh, no. I'm just... being borrowed by them. I do kind of freelance work with different sections of the government. I just kind of do my own thing."

"And you work with computers?" He asks, genuinely curious.

"You bet. I can hack any computer anywhere. I'm sort of the best there is."

"I don't know anything about computers," Steve chuckles. "That's kind of the problems with waking up in the 21st century."

"Oh, I imagine," I giggle. "But I'm sure you're a much better fighter than I am. I mean, you are the legendary Captain America. You kick ass." I'm completely glowing from talking to me childhood hero.

"Yeah, I do alright with the whole fighting and military stuff. I really missed it. It's been awhile since I've done anything like this."

Steve and I continue to make small talk the rest of the afternoon as I search for Loki on my HP laptop. I really enjoy conversating with him. He is even more interesting than I could have ever imagine. I'm having a complete fangirl attack on the inside. I'm shocked I can even speak.

Later on, Steve and Natasha leave to catch Loki. They are also joined by Iron Man and Thor. I am so glad I missed that. They found him in Germany. I try not to leave the country if I can. I firmly believe that The United States of America is the greatest country on Earth. I would much rather be on the helicarrier on my computer.

"Thor, Tony, this is Agent Skylar Hourani and Dr. Bruce Banner," Steve introduces. "Skylar, Bruce, this is Tony Stark and Thor of Asgard."

"Very nice to meet you," I say to Tony as I shake his hand. I then look to Thor. His eyes widen.

Thor stomps toward me. He grabs some of my hair. "Are you an enchantress?" He asks in awe. "I've never seen locks of this hue!"

"Um, no," I say, pulling away. "I just dye it this color. I'm completely human." I give him a weak smile. "Your hair is pretty nice itself." I reach for his shoulder-length blond fringe. This guy is even more off than Cap.

"Very well. Nice to meet you, young lady. I am Thor Odinson, Prince of Asgard." He takes my hand, kissing it, as he bows. I blush. I then admire his arms. They're huge! Getting punched by him is probably like having a brick thrown at your face!

"So you're here to help your brother?" I ask, still staring at his enormous biceps.

"Yes, I am. He is lost and definitely needs my help."

"Well, good luck." Bruce adds in. "That guy's mind is a bag full of cats. You can just smell crazy on him."

"Loki may be without reason but he is my brother and I care how you speak of him," Thor says.

"He killed 80 people in two days," Natasha adds.

"He's adopted," Thor says, looking away.

"Psht!" I snort, trying to be quiet. I'm gonna love working with this guy! This is like the greatest group ever assembled. I'm going to have so much fun. From Natasha giving me the stink eye to Tony's arrogance to Cap's unbeatable lack of knowledge of the things going on in this time period. This truly is the dream team.

"Loki is dangerous," Nick Fury states, coming out of nowhere. Everyone turns to look at him. "We need to find that tesseract before he uses it to do whatever it is he wants to do. Now get back to work." He leaves the doorway.

"What?" I ask under my breath. That last statement really didn't make any sense. I get back to my computer. "That guy really is a spy. Coming out of nowhere like that." My job is not over yet. I still have to try to find that damn Rubiks cube of light.

"I just don't get it," Tony says. "Why would Loki just let us take him?"

"You're right," Steve says. "This was definitely too easy. Thor, what do you think?"

"I am not sure. My brother... he is obsessed with power. The want to rule clouds his judgement of what he's actually doing. He will do anything to take over Earth."

"Well he'll need help to do that," I say from my desk.

"What about his sceptar. It may be magical but it works an awful lot like a Hydra weapon. Maybe he's going to use that," Steve gestures to the sticks on the desk across the room.

"That sceptar will summon an army called the Chitauri. They not of a world like Asgard. They come from a deep, dark world on the other side of space. They are ugly and horrible creatures," Thor explains.

I open up a new tab on Internet Explorer and begin searching about the Chitauri. Most of it is just mythology but I know most of it is actually real. Just as people believe Thor and Loki and Asgard are just myths. There are so many things that are real that people believe are just stories. Anyone would be surprised how many supernatural things are real.

"We have some war ahead of us," I say, absorbing the information on my screen with wide eyes.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yeah, I know this chapter is short but I didn't want to try to force it. I hope you all are enjoying the new Fixed in the Shadows. But I know it's still early. Stayed tuned for more! And thanks to my subscribers!

Skylar's Outfit: http://tinyurl.com/dyfsmtz