Sequel: Ruined in the Shadows
Status: Complete! Check out the sequel! -->

Fixed in the Shadows

Chapter 06

I skip out of the hotel and down the street. I don't want to risk getting into my Eldorado tipsy. I slow to a walk and absorb my surroundings. The cool night air pricks at my skin, causing the hairs on my arm to stand on end. I can see my breath puff out in clouds under the bright moonlight. I love walking at night. Everything is so quiet and serene.

When I enter the bar, I am elated to see that they do in fact have wifi. I look around. There are deer and moose heads hanging on the wall. A stuffed bear is standing tall over in the corner. There are an array of license plates and road signs. Classic Michigan dive bar. I sit down at a table and order some shots of raspberry vodka. I need something strong.

I search along my computer, typing and clicking. I spend some time on Tumblr and then I check my e-mail. I am shocked to find a message from Tony. He asks me how I'm doing and what I've been up to. I happily reply and ask him how he's doing. Just then, I hear a voice that I recognize. I freeze. I then slowly turn to my right. And sure enough, my ears were correct. I pick up my laptop and walk over to the table.

"Sam and Dean Winchester!" I say casually as I waltz over to their table.

"Skylar!" The brothers say in unison, just as shocked as I am.

"You guys look good! How are you?"

"You do too," Dean mumbles as he looks me up and down, licking his lips.

"We're doing great," Sam answers, smiling brightly.

"Are you guys here on a hunt?" I quiet my voice down.

"Yeah, actually, we are," Dean says, looking me in the eye.

"Please, sit down." Sam gestures to the open seat next to him.

I sit down and set my laptop up. "So what are you guys hunting this time?"

"Well, we're not exactly sure yet," Sam starts to explain.

"All we know is that people have been disappearing all along the island. It could just be a coincidence, but you know how rare that is. It's all men that live along the water," Dean continues.

"So the bodies were never recovered?" I ask, interested.

"That's the thing, all that were found were bones. Completely clean and white bones," Sam says.

"Whoa. That's weird," I say, pondering.

"You've hunted before. What do you think it is?" Dean asks me.

"Just a sec," I mutter. I open up Internet Explorer on my laptop and start researching. I stare intently at my computer as Sam and Dean wait in anticipation, giving each other strange looks. Brother mind-reading, of course. After a few minutes, I have a pretty good idea of what it is. I look up from my computer. "I think it may be mermaids," I say plainly.

Dean spits out his beer. "What? Mermaids?" He laughs. "You think we're dealing with a killer Ariel here?"

"Yes," I say with a blank look on my face. "Ask the locals. Some people believe they have seen creatures resembling mermaids around this area for years."

"How exactly accurate are they to the legends," Sam asks, believing it and holding onto my every word.

"They are supposed pretty accurate. They lure men into the water with their looks and then eat them. It's pretty grisley stuff. But I believe they are real. I've been studying it my whole hunting career."

"How would they get into the lake? I mean, it's not like they just showed up one day," Sam asks.

"Well, Lake Erie is pretty much a toxic waste dump. In 1969, it caught on fire from all the chemicals that rest on top. Maybe the water had something to do with it. I've actually been researching the possbility of mermaids specifcally in Lake Erie for a few years now. This is actually exciting! I may get to prove my theory!"

"Yeah, 'cause that's what it's all about. I prefer to just kill the bastards and be done with it," Dean says with mocking smile. He gulps his beer.

Sam hits his brother in the arm with a scolding look. He then looks at me. "What do you think we should do?"

"Mermaids can be killed with a silver bullet. Pretty obvious one there." I shrug. "Let's go check it out!" I shove my laptop into my bag and I'm out the door. When I get outside, I run to Dean's car. "Look at Baby!" I exclaim as I admire the 1967 Chevy Impala in black. "She looks amazing!" I rest against the passenger door and admire the inside.

"I know," Dean says with a smile, patting the hood of the car.

"Guess what kind of car I have now!" I turn and lean against the car. "A 1964 Cadillac Eldorado in torquoise!"

"Whaat?" Dean asks, in shock.

"Yup! I fixed her up myself. She's beautiful. I'll have to show her to you." I then look at Sam. He is completely lost.

"Can we just go?" Sam asks, opening the door, a little bit annoyed.

Sam helps me into the backseat. "Can we stop by my car? I gotta get some stuff out of the trunk."

The three of us ride down the road to my hotel. I open the trunk and my arensal is revealed. My swords, throwing knives, pistols, rifles, and everything else under the sun. Dean admires my baby. I can tell he's a little jealous, but Baby was his dad's and she means the world to him.

"What's this?" Sam asks, pulling a cloth bag out of the trunk.

"That is salt and granulated iron. The perfect mix to ward off a spirit. And this..." I pick up another bag similar to the one Sam is holding. "This is granulated silver."

"Oh my God, I am so turned on right now," Dean says from behind me, smiling like a complete dork. "That is the most ingenius thing I have ever heard."

"Thanks," I mutter. I then pull out a knife bag. "Silver throwing knives--one of my favorites!" I then load a pistol with silver bullets. I cock it. "Let's roll."

We drive to a small cove at the center of all the disappearances. I make small talk with the boys. I lie and tell them that I've been hunting all this time. There is no way I'm telling them I'm part of The Avengers. I don't even know what they would say. I don't even think they would believe me.

"Here we are." Dean slows the Impala to a stop.

Before I climb out of the car, I cock my pistol and pull out a silver knife. I then cautiously move toward the water. I'm positive I saw some movement beneath the surface. It looked like... a large fish. But I don't say anything. They already think I'm crazy and totally wrong on this one.

"It's so quiet," Sam points out, looking around.

"It's creepy," I whisper under my breath, watching the area. Suddenly, I hear soft singing. "Do you guys here that?"

The brothers stop. "Yeah," they both say in unison.

"It sounds like..." Sam begins. "Women singing."

Just then, something comes out of the water. They look like half human, half fish. The head and torso is human but scaley. They are female and topless. The rest of the body is a large fish-like tail. They have gills sticking out of their necks. Their teeth are sharpened to a point. They are beautiful women.

Their song grows louder. Sam and Dean each start moving toward them. "Sam! Dean!" I call but they don't respond. "Holy crap. There. Are. Mermaids. I WAS RIGHT!"

"Help us!" I hear Dean mumble, struggling to get the words out.

"Right!" I say, calming down. I run up to Dean's mermaid. With one swift move of my blade, I slit her throat. "Take that, you whore!" Thick red blood flows out of her neck. I then shoot her right in between the eyes. Dean then walks over to Sam's mermaid and shoots her. I watch the dead body as it dissolves into a gray dust. "Interesting," I mutter as I rub the powder in between my fingers.

"What was that? It was like they had us under their spell!" Sam exclaims, rubbing his neck.

"It looks like these mermaids are even more accurate to the stories than I thought." I stand up and turn to the boys. "Their song actually does lure men to their watery grave. Man! You guys are sure lucky I'm here!" I smile and put my hands on my hips.

"Uhh, guys, we've got trouble," Dean says, pointing to the water. More mermaids are surfacing.

"Shoot them before they can hypnotize us!" Sam shouts. He begins shooting the creatures, getting them in the head or heart each time.

"We don't have a enough ammo," I mumble to myself. "We need something else to kill them all." I rack my brain, thinking of any possibility. Then it comes to me. "Dean!" I yell.

"What?" He calls back, reloading his pistol.

"Do you have an extra car battery and jumper cables in Baby?"

"Yeah! Under the passenger's seat!"

I run to the Impala. I yank the car door open and search frantically for the items. I hook the jumper cables up to the battery and connect the battery up to the car. I slice through the plastic of the wires but still keep them in tact. I run to the water and toss the battery in and sprint back to the car. "Keep away from the water!" I scream at the boys. "I hope this works," I whisper to myself as I sit in the driver's seat. I then start up the car. I watch as the mermaids crawling out of the water are electrocuted.

"Whoa!" Dean exclaims, shooting another mermaid in the face.

When I think the coast is clear, I turn off the Impala. I sigh, hoping it's over. I slowly step out of the car and walk to the boys. The water is silent once again. It looks like all the mermaids are dead. The water is filled with the gray dust.

"Well, that was one way to do it," Sam sighs, chuckling.

Suddenly, Sam shouts as one of the creatures grabs his forearm. She squeezes her long, pointy finger nails into his flesh, causing blood to drip. It looks like one of them missed and only shot her in the shoulder. I take a running leap and grab ahold of the mermaid from behind. I hold her head back as I slit her throat. Blood sputters out of her mouth. When I look up, Dean and Sam freak out.

"Whoa! Freeze!" Dean yells as he aims his gun at me.
♠ ♠ ♠
And here we are! A Supernatural cross-over. I'm taking a huge chance on this one. I'm sorry if you don't like it. This is the only chapter like this. Don't worry. For those who don't know of Superantural, it's a fantastic show and you should definitely check it out. More will be posted soon. :)

Skylar's Outfit
Sam Winchester
Dean Winchester