‹ Prequel: Blind Photographs
Status: Updates every other day

Destination Detonation

Omens

I slipped the walkie-talkie into my pocket before we left, clutching the new gun tightly. It could go either way at this point. As I walked out of the room, something shattered.

“The bottles broke!”

“It’s fine, Photo. We’ll get more.”

“But it was you guys!”

“She has this thing with the bottles when she shoots,” Fun Ghoul explained. “There are four she won’t hit because it’s like us.”

“It’s an omen.”

“It’s leaving them on the edge of the counter is what it is. We’ll be fine, Photo. We need to leave.”

As we piled into the Trans Am, I took off my blindfold to give directions. It was a decent drive to the Tower, but I’d walked there from Gotham’s warehouse so that was easy enough to find. The car remained in a state of anxious silence for me. Everyone else seemed calm and focused. I thought I was going to throw up.

“Stop! It should be right around here,” I yelled, startling everyone. Jet Star and the Kobra kid got out to open the doors. Lights flickered from underneath. We rolled slowly down the ramp into the tunnel, not bothering to shut the doors behind us. The headlights flickered across the stone, and soon after a few screeching turns, stone walls changed to metal.

“We’re getting closer…” I whispered as we drove past a Better Living advertisement on the wall. This was their territory now. Party Poison gripped the steering wheel tighter and sped up. There was a gate guarded by draculoids. We blasted right past them, killing one immediately, but the second managed to hit something as he went down. Lights started flashing but the car just kept going faster.

My knuckles were turning white around the gun. We were really going to do this. I pulled the bandana over my eyes with my free hand and took a deep breath. The car finally skidded to a stop and the Kobra kid helped me out. We weren’t running. We weren’t blowing everything up. It was a calm but determined walk through the hallway, our boots slapping against the linoleum floor like cracks of thunder. I could hear the alarms, but there it was almost like we were invisible. They hadn’t caught up to us yet.

The bells around my trigger jingled slightly. That seemed to have really set something off as dozens of feet pounded after us.