‹ Prequel: Blind Photographs
Status: Updates every other day

Destination Detonation

We'll carry on

“I need to take Grace somewhere. Do you know where Show Pony is?”

“No, but I have something to show you.” He rolled out of the room and to the back door of the diner which was rarely ever used. “Pull off that tarp.”

So I did. Underneath was a red and yellow motorcycle, the Kobra Kid’s helmet hanging off one of the handlebars.

“It was Kobra’s. He hardly ever used it, and I think he’d want you to have it.” I’d only ever seen the helmet before this. I figured there must have been a reason he had it, but never thought to question it. Dr. Death Defying handed me another helmet.

“Go. Make it shiny as the stars.” I thanked him quickly and left.

“Boom Box, grab the spray paint and meet me in the back of the diner.” I replaced the bandana with the helmet and handed Grace hers as she stepped outside. “Hold on tight, we’re going to set things straight.” The engine roared to life and sand flew behind us with an even bigger spray than the lightning made.

It finally died down as we reached the edge of the cemetery.

“Do you know who to look for?” I asked. Maybe they’d already told her.

“Yeah.” She said quietly and we walked together in a demented sort of scavenger hunt.
“Faith!” It was the first time I could remember her using my old name. “I found them.”
We stood there staring for a moment.

“Well, you know what to do. Hand me a can of spray paint.”

We crossed out the names written on their tombstones. Underneath, we wrote their real names. They may not have been the ones they were born with, but it’s who they’d become.

“Do you think when we die, someone will do this for us too?”

“Definitely,” I replied, and we made our way back to the bike and rode home.

We would fight with everything we had, just like the guys had shown us. Grace and I? We were the legacy of the fabulous killjoys. It was our duty, and our destiny, and nothing could stop us.

Yeah, we’d carry on just fine.
♠ ♠ ♠
Fin