‹ Prequel: Blind Photographs
Status: Updates every other day

Destination Detonation

Safe Behind the Glass

“Just making sure,” He muttered. “Oh god, you’ve got to get inside,” He rushed, dragging me back towards the diner.

“Who is it?” I demanded. “I can fight them now!”

“You can’t shoot a cloud, but lightning will fry you like chicken.”

“You’re scared of the lightning?” I let him drag me into the diner anyway.

“Ever since Better Living started dumping their chemicals the weather won’t stay normal. Lightning hits this diner every time there’s a storm, and if you’re outside it would hit you too.”

“Why don’t you take off your bandana, Photo? Storms are dangerous, but they’re really a sight,” Jet Star suggested.

Kneeling on the booth seat, I looked out the window to the green sky, watching the black clouds tumble by. Lightning flashed rapidly in front of the diner, throwing the sand around and holding my attention completely.

It took a few hours, but the clouds all finally passed, leaving scorching heat and blistering sunlight in its wake.

“Why wasn’t there any rain?” I asked as I helped Fun pick up the bottles.

“Like I said, the weather isn’t normal anymore. We get rain occasionally, but it peels the paint off everything so we’re glad it doesn’t stick around for long.”

Again, we headed back into the diner together and Fun Ghoul put the bottles into a box. Even though I could see, I was still more comfortable wearing the bandana. I felt safer with it on, and when dying is just as close as living until the next day, safety was a nice feeling.

“Alright,” I said to the empty diner. “All of you better listen to me, if you want this mission to be a success.” I started pacing back and forth, thankful that the guys went out on a raid and I’d have free time to pretend.